Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

New Irish Rail Intercity, Commuter and DART Timetable Public Consultation

• 19-09-2022 9:41am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,944 ✭✭✭✭

A new Irish Rail timetable will come into effect from December 11th, and a public consultation has just gone live.

Full details here: https://www.irishrail.ie/en-ie/news/Proposed-timetable-changes-from-11th-December-2022

I've posted an extract below:

A detailed summary of proposed changes below.

Iarnród Éireann and the National Transport Authority will review all suggestions received. Suggested alterations which cannot be implemented at this timetable change will be retained in a database for consideration at future timetable reviews. Please note that peak frequency cannot currently be increased, as all available fleet and infrastructure capacity is in use.

Dublin/Maynooth/M3 Parkway/Longford

• Existing 16:01 hrs Pearse/Maynooth service advanced to 15:55 hrs Monday to Friday

Northern Commuter

• Existing 05:40 hrs Dundalk/Pearse service on Monday to Friday will be advanced to 05:30 hrs and extended to Grand Canal Dock.
    • Existing 07:09 hrs Pearse/Drogheda service on Monday to Friday will be extended to start from Grand Canal Dock at 07:05 hrs.
    • New 16:09 hrs Connolly/Drogheda service Monday to Friday
    • Existing 17:12 hrs Connolly/Balbriggan has been retimed to provide 16:09 hrs Connolly/Drogheda. The existing 17:13 hrs Pearse/Newry will call additionally at Malahide as a result.
    • Existing 17:58 hrs Balbriggan/Pearse will be extended to start from Drogheda at 17.48 hrs Monday to Friday.

Phoenix Park Tunnel (Grand Canal Dock to Hazelhatch)

• New 08:31 hrs Grand Canal Dock/Hazelhatch Monday to Friday.
    • New 16:00 hrs Grand Canal Dock/Hazelhatch Monday to Friday.
    • New 16:37 hrs Hazelhatch/Grand Canal Dock Monday to Friday.
    • Existing 15:50 hrs Hazelhatch/Grand Canal Dock Monday to Friday will be deferred to 15:53 hrs.

Heuston to Newbridge Commuter

• Monday to Friday: New services at 09:45, 10:40, 11:40, 12:40, 13:40 and 14:40 hrs from Heuston to Newbridge serving all stations.
    • Monday to Friday: New services at 10:26, 11:40, 12:26, 13:26, 14:26 and 15:27 hrs from Newbridge to Heuston serving all stations.

Dublin / Waterford

• Existing 07:00 hrs Waterford/Heuston will be advanced to 06:50 hrs and call additionally at Kilkenny. There will be no change to arrival time at Heuston.
    • New 08:26 hrs Dublin to Carlow service, calling at Newbridge, Kildare, Athy and Carlow.
    • New 10:15 hrs Carlow to Dublin service, calling at Athy, Kildare, Newbridge and Heuston.

Dublin / Rosslare Europort

• Monday to Friday: 07.20 hrs Rosslare Europort/Connolly will call additionally at Kilcoole.
    • Saturday: All services will call additionally at Kilcoole.
    • Sunday: All services will call additionally at Kilcoole.

Dublin / Westport / Ballina

• New 05:05 hrs service from Ballina to Manulla which will connect with an advanced 05:15 hrs Westport/Heuston service Monday to Friday.
    • New 05:38 hrs Manulla/Ballina service Monday to Friday.
    • New 07:08 hrs Athlone/Westport service Monday to Friday.
    • Existing 07:37 hrs Manulla/Ballina service Monday to Friday, deferred to 08:40 to provide connection from new 07:08 hrs service from Athlone.

Athlone / Galway

• Existing 07:30 hrs Athlone/Galway service will now commence from Tullamore at 06:50 hrs on Monday to Friday, and additionally serve Clara. There will be no change to the timings between Athlone and Galway.

Limerick / Ballybrophy (via Nenagh)

• Existing 06:30 hrs Limerick/Ballybrophy service is deferred to 06:45 hrs Monday to Saturday, with same arrival time, an improved journey time of 15 minutes.
    • Existing 16:55 hrs Limerick/Ballybrophy service is deferred to 17:10 hrs Monday to Saturday, with same arrival time, an improved journey time of 15 minutes.
    • Existing 07:45 hrs Nenagh/Limerick service is deferred to 07:47 hrs with existing arrival time in Limerick Monday to Saturday.
    • Existing 10:08 hrs Ballybrophy/Limerick arrives 15-minutes earlier arrival at Limerick 11:52 hrs Monday to Saturday.
    • Existing 19:05 hrs Ballybrophy/Limerick arrives 15-minutes earlier arrival at Limerick 20:48 hrs Monday to Saturday.
    • Existing 17:20 hrs Limerick/Ballybrophy service is deferred to 17:35 hrs Sundays, with same arrival time, an improved journey time of 15 minutes.
    • Existing 18:25 hrs Ballybrophy/Limerick arrives 15-minutes earlier arrival at Limerick 19:21 hrs Sundays.

Cork Commuter

• New 22:00 hrs Cork to Cobh and 22:30 hrs Cobh to Cork services Monday to Saturday.
    • Existing 22:30 hrs Cork to Cobh deferred to 23:00 hrs, and existing 23:00 hrs Cobh to Cork deferred to 23:30 hrs Monday to Saturday
    • Existing 22:15 hrs Cork to Midleton deferred to 22:45 hrs, and existing 22:45 hrs Midleton to Cork deferred to 23:15 hrs Monday to Saturday.

DART

• Monday to Friday:
      • 09:24 hrs Greystones/Howth deferred to 09:27 hrs with altered timings to Connolly. Existing timings retained from Connolly to Howth.
      • Minor timing alterations to 15:04 hrs Greystones/Howth and 15:25 hrs Bray/Malahide.
      • 16:30 hrs Malahide/Greystones deferred to 16:34 hrs with altered timings to Connolly. Existing timings retained from Connolly to Greystones.
    • Saturday:
      • 09:35 hrs Greystones/Howth deferred to 09:37 hrs.
      • 15:30 hrs Greystones/Malahide deferred to 15:32 hrs.
      • 20:13 hrs Bray/Malahide deferred to 20:15 hrs.
    • Sunday:
      • 12:00 hrs Bray/Malahide deferred to 12:03 hrs.
      • 16:43 hrs Bray/Malahide deferred to 16:45 hrs.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,480 ✭✭✭✭road_high

What is the big need for the morning Heuston to Carlow service? Gets into Carlow at half 9 so useless got schools/college/work?

Id have thought a later evening service that goes all the way to Waterford much more needed in that timetable. 18.35 last train is just ridiculous

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,944 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

It is (I suspect) to provide a train that can then operate in the other direction towards Dublin at 10:15 bridging the rather large gap from 08:58 to 12:15.

Ideally you would have an 09:00 out of Waterford, but right now they don’t have enough sets to operate such a service.

Just to add - they won’t have the rolling stock to operate a later Waterford until the new order of intermediate ICR coaches are fully delivered, and the sets reconfigured. That will allow extra services to operate, but they will then need more drivers to operate them, and training and passing out the latter takes time too, allowing for leavers and retirements.

Post edited by LXFlyer on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭bikeman1

I will be leaving my comments to Irish Rail but they really are only tinkering around the edges with the exception of the Newbridge extras during the day.

The last trains in my view are all very early. Last Waterford 18:35. Galway 19:xx, Sligo 19:xx. Wexford 18:xx. etc

They built a depot in Portlaoise for servicing ICR's yet the last train goes to Kildare only (23:10) and is worked by a Heuston driver. This should be Portlaoise worked with a set that needs servicing and operate, like other services (Dundalk / buses) as a 23:30 Heuston to Portlaoise 7 nights a week. It could run express to Hazelhatch and connect with the late service from GCD to the Hatch (M-F).

No Sunday service on the Waterford to Limerick Junction which would allow weekend travel home to those stations (even just an afternoon service like Ballybrophy).

Poor running / connections which could be overcome with a tweaking of times. Eg. 17:10 FO to Westport sits in Roscommon 19:15 / 19:39 and then runs just ahead of the 18:15 by 23 minutes, making the point of this train being extended to Mayo pointless as it is over 35 minutes slower than the service behind, which is chasing its tail!

Sunday's 10:00 to Cork still provides a 44 minute "connection" at Mallow for the Tralee service. Poor planning that a work around cannot be found. Some of the times seem very much, ah sure that's how it has always been.

There are also inefficiencies in crewing all over the place. All the Limerick drivers and CSO's work up to Dublin in the morning and travel home doing nothing. Then in the afternoon the 3 crews travel up to Dublin doing nothing and then drive one way back down. A mid morning return to Limerick and the last up being deferred slightly and the 15:30 being advanced to 14:30 would cut out two drivers and CSO's immediately.

Running an empty train to Gorey etc. Empties up and down to Portlaoise all day. Plenty of opportunities.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,115 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

still no extra weekend Darts to Greystones despite having been promised them 5 years ago. Last Dart is still too early as well (should be at least as late as the last Luas).

No weekend PPT services.

Are IÉ still short of drivers?

Yes is my understanding in answer to the last question, which is why the changes now are fairly cosmetic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,865 ✭✭✭lisasimpson

While the 15 min reduction time is great on the ballybrophy line and departure to 17.10 is a bit better, it really needs a 3 service during the day. Think roscrea is still missing a service though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,759 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

Another timetable cycle that fails to address variuos problems.

07:08 Athlone-Westport - odd addition which most likely points to meddeling from individals. Otherwise operational connivance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,861 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

The pushing back of the 22:15hrs Cork to Midleton to 22:45hrs will result in a large gap between that and the previous train from Cork to Midleton at 21.15hrs.

I think it would be better to keep the 22.15hrs as normal and run a 22.45hr as an additional service or dare I suggest even a 23.15hr instead?

Good to see the tunnel getting extra trains. Far cry from the reluctance of all parties not too long ago to even countenance opening it.

One question; why does one of the Sligo bound trains stop at Leixlip Louisa Bridge on weekdays? Is it a quirk or to serve Intel etc? No return service as such.

I would suspect that, in situations like this where something obvious such as an additional train isn’t there, that they don’t have the drivers to deliver it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,949 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

So no improvements to the shambolic evening service for the Maynooth line? 🙁

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,480 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Another obvious gap in the Waterford line is the morning train/s southbound? Leaves Dublin at 07.30ish so is useless for any commuters from athy, Carlow or Kilkenny that want and need to be in Waterford at or before 9.00 am.

Why not move it to 06.30 or so? Or better still add an extra earlier train!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,195 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

because that would be common sense, would benefit passengers, would show the policy of no early services to the smaller cities as being of the 1950s.

and they probably don't have the stock for it anyway.

I'm very highly educated. I know words, i have the best words, nobody has better words then me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,592 ✭✭✭✭L1011

It nearly always has to wait in Maynooth for the down train anyway, may as well serve a traffic generator on the way if it won't impact the journey times. That's the only logic I can see for it.

It does state on the consultation that

Please note that peak frequency cannot currently be increased, as all available fleet and infrastructure capacity is in use.

You'd need an extra set to operate that (which they don't have), as otherwise you'd create an almost four hour gap in service to Waterford which is too long.

It is important to remember that there is still also a shortage of drivers across the network, which impacts on what services can be introduced. This is a consequence of the lengthy dispute between the previous CEO and the unions, which put a ban on in-cab training. While the dispute was resolved quickly enough after the new CEO was appointed, the company has since lost drivers through retirement, and I believe that some of the people recruited externally have also left after finding that the job wasn't for them. I suspect that it's going to still take time to catch up, as it takes considerable time to pass out a new driver, and that will impact on new service delivery, but you would hope that the training facilities will be expanded to expedite the process over the next couple of years.

Once all of the new intermediate ICR cars are commissioned, which should be by 2024, this will allow the ICR sets to be reformed into three, four and six car sets. This in turn will mean that more trains will be available to operate additional services such as on the Waterford line in the future, as some trains which are currently using two sets will be able to use one instead.

There is a need to deliver tangible regional service improvements (and there are a couple in this change) that facilitate commuter journeys and also link in with the Connecting Ireland programme which is being rolled out currently.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,763 ✭✭✭AngryLips

Still so much padding on the section of the loop line between Clontarf Road and Grand Canal Dock. It shouldn't take dart trains so much time to cover such a short distance.

They should restore the old 09:XX and 11:XX services, scrap the current 10:15 and this proposed 08:26.

09:XX Waterford-Heuston should be added and the set for this added onto the 13:15 ex Heuston in the absence of 19:XX evening service.

The reopening of second platform in Waterford should help with scheduling. I would be surprised if Waterford is still short drivers to facilitate the 09:XX Waterford. If XPO asked for a daily service they would have drivers available!

They might say no ICRs available, that is solved by IVs operating the route it was purchased for.

It would be good to know the thinking behind this Carlow service and who decided on such a pointless addition (08:26),

Now maybe we should all suggest extend this to Muine Bheag because the 45 minute sit in Carlow isn’t necessary. Just maximising the limited driver and fleet resources!

They were quick to add Muine Bheag onto the 07.00 service which isn’t at all justifiable so this additional service to/from there would be good for locals. This wouldn't go down well I suspect.

The Carlow service is far from pointless. The 08:26 departure utilises an available ICR set in Dublin off an inbound service, to run to Carlow and which can then provide a service towards Dublin that will fill a massive gap in the current services on the route.

Also, not everyone starts at 09:00, particularly students, so this will facilitate anyone needing to be in Carlow for 10:00.

Ultimately, when the sets are reconfigured there will be enough for an 09:00 Waterford-Dublin, which could also operate a commuter service from Clonmel into Waterford beforehand.

But we have to accept that there are limiting factors, which are drivers and train sets currently, and then whether the NTA can fund the services on top of that.

Not sure it'll ever be much faster given the permanent speed restrictions along that section, coupled with the regular conflicting moves at Connolly.

Lets not get carried away, 41 ICR will deliver far less than IE or the NTA are promicing and you know that. If it wasn't for Covid it would be even less. How many sets will Belfast take...

Yes the 08.26 utalises a spare, classic IE decision rational here. Quick and easy decision just like most of this timetable. Not all students start at 09.00 nor do students in Kilkenny commuting to Carlow IT who have a 4h gap between services are those who finish after 4 have a 3.5h going north. That is why they could have a more balanced schedule.

I fully accept resources are tight but I could almost guarntee there was no consideration to restoring the old ex Heuston schedule and adding an 09:XX service.

I think we have to accept there was no serious consideration given to this timetable either in terms of additional services where possible or resolving pathing issues on the current schedule. They will use the excuse of waiting for additional coaches and assessing new travel patterns.

• Advertisement

I’m not getting carried away, but I’m not going to be constantly negatively focussed like your posts are.

The arrival of the new DART sets that are on order will also release 29k sets which in turn will also release some ICRs.

There are positive things happening at last on the railways, but all your posts seem to focus on are negatives.

There will be far more six car ICRs once the sets are reformed (and that is aside from the premier sets) which will reduce the numbers of double sets in place currently, allowing for new services to be added. Belfast moving to hourly would require three ICR sets in addition to the three Enterprise sets.

There of course should be an 09:00 ex-Waterford in the timetable, and I would be pretty sure that there will be one after the sets are re-configured. But there isn’t a set to do it right now, and no amount of moaning here is going to change that.

And without being in Irish Rail or the NTA, and a party to their discussions, none of us can guarantee what was discussed or not, so let’s not go down that road. It’s just more negative speculation on your part.

When you see quesrtionable decisions like the bleow I think I have every right to be negetive...

Calleary hails new Ballina train despite concern of low demand

Link-up to early morning Westport-Dublin service had been ruled out due to insufficient demand

Iarnród Éireann has announced a new 5am train service from the hometown of Dara Calleary, the junior minister, despite previously ruling it out in the past because there was not enough demand.

I'm sure IE and NTA will be very forthcoming explaining the cost and what has resulted in the sudden demand change.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,195 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

to be fair we only have irish rail's word for it that there was no demand for that early service previously.

now maybe there genuinely wasn't and there genuinely isn't demand for it i don't know, but it is irish rail and they do use no demand as an excuse to not improve services when it suits them so it's hard to take them seriously when they claim no demand.

still i do take the point that it would be gauling for passengers on the waterford line to see westport get extra services but waterford not and i do sympathise with them on that even though in general i am in no way against mayo getting extra services but not at the expence of waterford.

as for the hourly belfast, they would be as well now to wait until the new stock for that arrives and then launch the whole lot together but i guess what will happen is 3 or 4 I C R sets will be dedicated to it meaning less improvements which themselves are just as much needed.

I'm very highly educated. I know words, i have the best words, nobody has better words then me.

I think developing regional connections is a positive move. Why don’t we wait and see what the demand is like?

People said that the 05.20 ex-Westport would be a flop too and it isn’t.

I can’t imagine that the cost of running a 2-car 2800 from Ballina to Manulla Junction and back is going to break the bank. It doesn’t impact operationally on any other service, utilising a train that would be idle otherwise.

If we were all as constantly negative about every single development, then nothing would ever happen.

What has changed is that the NTA are now rolling out their Connecting Ireland strategy which is all about improving regional connectivity and encouraging people to ditch their cars in favour of public transport where possible. That train fits perfectly with that strategy.

I would also state that the Sunday Business Post has never been public transport friendly in its reporting. Quite the opposite.

I didn't say it wasn't a positive move just questionable move that IE have been lobbied heavily on it. I'm not sure I would put this addition as a result of Connecting Ireland Strategy.

I am not going to comment on the 05:20 service or tarffic west of Athlone.

Have you proof that they were lobbied heavily on it for this timetable change? I can't read that article as it is behind a paywall. You are just making all sorts of accusations or suggestions which have no basis in fact.

To be clear, the provision of services in the timetable is dictated now by the NTA, and not IE. IE have a say in terms of their ability to resource services, but the NTA are calling the shots. So I find this idea of it being as a result of IE being lobbied heavily rather odd to say the least.

It is abundantly clear that the NTA are looking at improving public transport connectivity across the country as the Connecting Ireland strategy is rolled out, and as I said that includes more regional rail connections. A Ballina connection into that Westport train was a rather glaring omission previously, and frankly it's a sensible move.

Less than two months until implementation of the new timetable and yet they haven't been confirmed and dates beyond Dec 11th are still not bookable online...

Well I would assume that they are currently finalising the timetable following the consultation?

These things, particularly looking at and drawing up driver rosters, don’t happen overnight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭Noxegon

Really wish they’d run trains through the Phoenix Park Tunnel on weekends. It’s crazy to me that this is only a Monday to Friday service.

For now I guess I’ll keep taking the car.

I develop Superior Solitaire when I'm not procrastinating on boards.ie.

• Advertisement

They don’t have enough drivers to do that yet.

There is still a shortage of drivers, which, certainly Covid didn’t help with, given the length of time it takes to train new drivers.

I’d expect you’d see incremental service increases over the next few years, as we are seeing in this timetable change as more drivers pass out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭yer man!

I cannot understand this either. I made a submission mentioning this that a weekend service is sorely needed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,839 ✭✭✭thomasj

Sure Maynooth and Drogheda can't even get a weekend service beyond Connolly atm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 344 ✭✭TranslatorPS

Which has a hilarious side effect - in August and September I put together a book format timetable of all Irish Rail lines. The DART Greystones/Bray/Connolly/Malahide[or]Howth lines, including all trains over them, take up 16 pages Mon-Fri. Saturdays fit on 9, simply because all of the Phoenix Park and Maynooth trains disappear from the pages, never mind the frequency drops. Sundays - 6 pages.

Never mind weekend service, they can't even manage off-peak service. All that fanfare around the opening of the Phoenix Park Tunnel and it was all for a couple of services at rush hour. And I'm sure Dart+ is going to be the all the excuse they need to delay with improving services on this line in the meantime.

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭brianc89

Such a shame they can't commit to this section of track. You could add stops at Phoenix Park and Cabra and make it a line worth operating regularly. Unfortunately, they omitted new stations on this section in the Dart+ application.

In the near term, Platform 7 in Connolly could be used as a regular terminus and turn back for services to Maynooth and Celbridge every 15 minutes (combined frequency) without any major disruption to other services which would use platforms 5 and 6 for the coastal Dart.

I know it's not 'that' simple but it should be easily doable in near term.

• Advertisement

There are services through the Phoenix Park tunnel all day long Monday-Friday.

You might want to check the timetable before making comments like that.

https://www.irishrail.ie/IrishRail/media/Timetable-PDF-s/Heuston-timetables/16-Dublin-Portlaoise-No-Kildare-Shuttle-110422.pdf

Let's be clear here that the previous poster was wrong.

There is an all day service through the Phoenix Park tunnel Monday to Friday from early morning to late at night, and there are three extra services on that route planned to be added from December.

Right now my understanding is that there is still a shortage of drivers across the network, which does impact on what can and cannot operate (that's aside from the rolling stock shortage), and given that it takes over 12 months to pass out a new driver as fully trained, it is taking time to address.

The driver shortage is a result primarily of the knock-on effects of:

1) A lengthy dispute between the previous CEO and the unions which resulted in a union ban on training new drivers in cab - this was resolved shortly after the current CEO took over, but it caused a backlog of trainee drivers to be passed out.

2) Covid restrictions during lockdown meaning that in-cab training was suspended again

3) Retirements and I believe some of the external recruits leaving when they found the job wasn't for them.

As a result, the timetable changes have tended to be small increments, as more drivers pass out. There hopefully will be increased numbers passed out in the coming years to facilitate the much needed expansion of services.

The lack of rolling stock has also impacted on the ability to deliver additional capacity at peak times, but the ongoing delivery of the 41 additional intermediate cars for the ICR fleet will allow the fleet to reform into a combination of 3, 4 and 6-car sets which will allow for some cascading of rolling stock, but they won’t start entering service until mid-2023.

Expecting major changes quickly is unrealistic given those constraints.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,283 ✭✭✭Deedsie

Is there a suggested date for the publication of the updated timetable? I know there is a lot of work involved in the background to get the timetable right but presume it would have to be done in the next week or two. Trains after Dec 11th cant be booked. People organising Christmas parties etc will need to be booking trains soon.

Anyone else hopeful that the apparent delay with the new timetable means that IÉ/NTA have actually taken a significant amount of the consultation on board and are making changes where possible? Otherwise one would assume, the proposed changes announced by them in September could have been implemented a lot quicker?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,330 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Hopefully. They'd want to get a move on though. The timetables on the IE website are blank from the 11th December onwards.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭bikeman1

I heard about 2 weeks ago the timetable had been completed internally. I presume they then go to loading everything into the system, double checking everything and then final approval. I would imagine the "new" timetable and bookings will be available very soon.

I say "new" because it is probably for the most part the same as before with a few tweaks around the edges and still the same issues as I highlighted on this thread and to IÉ.

The backlash online about the quieter carriage was funny yesterday. Lots of slamming IÉ for lack of staff interaction on trains. Seems like some of the CSO's and hosts are very much enjoying chilling out in the back cab and doing one quick walk through the train once or twice during the journey. That has been my experience on some of my recent IC journeys.

I imagine it's getting to the point now where they're eating into their forward bookings with this delay.

Your lucky if you get one walk through with many. Its a shame as there are some really good CSOs but overall the CSOs based on current performance are not worth it. Prehaps the NTA needs to specify minimun dutites within the PSOs and monitor it themselves. Head of customer sevice in IE clearly to busy.

Bear minimun CSOs visable on platfroms, walk through at major stations which is typically 3 or 4 stops on all routes and announcements.

They were also due to be equiped with ticket equipment. Then again we also have 2 year old e ticket machines not been used.

Sometimes I wonder if covid excsues are still been used.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,283 ✭✭✭Deedsie

Looks like the new timetable will be published this week. They updated the press statement on the Irish Rail news page to say to check back on the week starting November 14th.

So should be out by Friday at the latest.

The new timetable is now live and online bookings are possible:

https://www.irishrail.ie/en-ie/news/proposed-timetable-changes-from-11th-december-2022

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,115 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

good to see detailed responses to the main items of feedback they received (though virtually every response is "we don't have enough drivers")

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭p_haugh

Good to see they're actively planning on adding in a 20:00 service from Connolly to Gorey in 2023, which "is being examined as an utmost priority with implementation at the earliest opportunity in 2023."

Would it not make more sense to have this service continue to Wexford? I assume the train would continue on to Wexford for stabling.

I’d say it would come back to Connolly, as they’d clearly be using a Connolly set to do it, and it would need to be back for first thing.

There are driver bases only in Rosslare or Connolly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭p_haugh

Ah right, I would have thought Wexford was the driver base, not Rosslare. Makes more sense now

Interesting that the career opportunities section of Irish Rail website doesn't look for train drivers?

• Advertisement
Advertisement