Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Random EV thoughts.....

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,373 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

Okay, robots are cool and all, but am I the only one thinking this is dumb?

They could literally install 4 changers in the space needed by this thing

One thing it does seem good for is accessibility, but there's easier ways to make chargers more accessible surely?

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Registered Users Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭KrisW1001

The one thing it could do is allow charging of vehicles in large long-term parking lots without needing a station on every bay: the robot moves to the EV bay, connects, car charges up, when it's full, robot disconnects and moves along to next one. Handy for airport or station parking.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,343 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Yes, and you book the charger in 1 hour time slots, so can book the slot closest to your arrival home...

What other cars have auto opening flaps like the Model 3/Y?

Or does this device have a finger for pressing, then opening flaps? edit: No, I see the guy still had to get out of his ID.3 and manually open the flap... showing how utterly pointless this robot is!!

'Flaps'

They answered that in the video. You have to operate your own flap and leave your port open for anyone to come along and stick things into

Enough innuendo for you? 😂

Better hope it doesn't rain, otherwise you'll end up with a rusty port

Also, jokes aside I could totally see someone going and sticking chewing gum in the ports of the cars in front of you to hop the queue

Yeah, but is that better than just having several dozen low powered chargers?

I get there's a queueing theory part to it where as cars finish charging they'll move on and free up spaces, which you don't have with slower chargers

But, people will do that themselves anyway for free, so why get an expensive robot to do it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 65,394 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

It's dumb. The only way forward is wireless induction charging. BMW offered that as a service almost 6 years ago, there is nothing innovative or new tech here. Just the cars need to be able to take it. I guess it's a bit like phones. It took iPhones years to be able to wireless charge where most other phones, even much cheaper ones, had it 6-7 years earlier

• Registered Users Posts: 21,989 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

The copied cigar.

Yes, it’s about throughput, but there’s also the utilisation of the charging equipment to consider. Ignore the gimmicky robot arm - that’s not really important. The idea here is that you move a smaller number of very expensive high-power chargers to where they are needed rather than fixing them in place and having them blocked or unused for long periods of time. For something like park+ride, putting even twenty chargers into a parking yard of five hundred spaces isn't going to provide much benefit - the first cars to arrive in the morning will be fully recharged by mid-morning, and then they will block use of a valuable resource for another five hours until their owners return. If you instead move the chargers between the cars that need to be serviced, you can provide much higher utilisation of the equipment, and a much fairer distribution of the benefits (e.g., you could book your P+R ticket to include however many kWh of recharging you need).

That said, I’d personally implement something like this differently: give each parking stall a "cold" charging port (basically a cable-joiner), and bring the mechanical charger “robot” to the other side of those ports: this has the advantage of standardising the interface that the mechanical system sees, which would make the whole thing far, far cheaper to implement. The cost of the moving “robot” is offset by not having to electrically wire each station back to a supply.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,049 ✭✭✭CoBo55

That's brilliant, so you drive up, plug in the car yourself and you'll get charged when your turn comes.

• Advertisement

I agree to an extent, but I think it's important to match a charging point to it's intended use. If we take the example of a park and ride, throughput doesn't really matter if most cars are going to be there for 8 hours or longer

You're correct that charging is a resource that must be managed, but let me offer a counter proposal. Instead of viewing the charger as the resource, take the grid connection as the thing to be managed instead

So you can decide how best you "spend" your kilowatts of your connection

Taking your park and ride example, let's say the owners are looking to install chargers. Now they could install 2x 150kW chargers, with some method of queueing multiple cars (could be a robot, could just be a guy to drive the cars around). 150kW chargers seem to cost something like €100k in this country, from what I've heard. So maybe €200k total cost including a 300kW grid connection

Assuming a 20mins charging session per car, you can clear 6 cars per hour or 48 cars in an 8 hour period

Now, maybe instead of using those 300kW for 2 chargers, what if we used it for 40x 7kW AC chargers? AC chargers seem to cost around €1k these days. You'd need a lot more ground works, but I imagine you can also get a bulk discount on chargers, so let's say €40k total, plus the grid connection costs which seem to be around €15k. Let's call it €65k total to cover any extra costs

So for the half the price you can charge almost the same number of cars in the same 8 hour period. It doesn't make much difference to the end user since they're gone for the full day and their car gets charged anyway

If we take the idea of cold plugging (I really like that concept) then you could install more AC chargers than your grid supports and operate on a first come first served basis

Let say we increased to 80x chargers, and limit the session time to 4 hours. You'd deliver a bit less energy than our earlier example, but 28kWh is probably enough to get most people home (probably enough to get a lot of them back to the park and ride too) and it doubles your throughput

• Registered Users Posts: 4,539 ✭✭✭eagerv

Passing by the Royal Oak, near Bagelalstown this afternoon saw this type 2 charger (x2) opposite Matty's Pub.

Thought it looked rather quaint, 😊 I am sure there are many such sites that would be available for charge points around the country. I see it's on Plugshare, haven't a clue how to use the charger, didn't need to try but it said free on sign. Perhaps only free for parking..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭JohnC.

Someone call John Hinde.

I love the busted petrol pumps beside the new looking charger. Shows which one is the future and what's going to be a historical relic soon

Shame they don't know the difference between V and W...

Haha, 22,000V would certainly have some effect on the car 🤣

My main idea wasn't HVDC charging: the use of a coupler pretty much means it'll be AC only anyway, as for safety reasons, DC charging can only be done on uninterrupted cables, and DC charging cables are also a very expensive thing to be providing at every station. The big advantage I see is in the cold-plugging, and making mechanical connection as needed. Don’t forget the cost of electrical cabling when you’re working out how much even a 7 kW charger per parking bay would cost: the bigger the car-park, the more expensive this gets.

The specific example I was thinking of was airport parking. Here, you’ve a thousand or more cars, parked up for at least three or four days, maybe two to three weeks. As you get more EVs on the road, more people would like to have their EVs charged up while they're away on holiday, thus avoiding the need to re-charge on their way home, perhaps. The only way you could offer this service at a reasonable price is by cold-plugging every bay, and then have a robot/dude hook up the cars as needed until they're charged. A computerised booking system would make it easy to figure out where and when each car gets serviced, and the advantage is that you can use mutliple high-power AC charging (22kW) feeds. Ten or twenty such chargers could be used to electrify hundreds of parking spaces.

The same principle applies in a different way to daily park+ride: very few commuters need their car fully recharged to 100% in order to be able to go home (you wouldn’t buy a car with just 200 km range if your commute to work was 180 km!) - drivers who do need a charge top-up may only need 5-10 kWh; but despite only needing the 22kW charger for 30 minutes or so, they actually prevent anyone else getting a charge for the whole day. Being able to attach and detach the same charger to different vehicles is a big advantage, regardless of the charger’s rating.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,970 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

Seem's expensive for the addressable market of people who live outside the return range of their vehicle and travel to the airport.

I drove my EV to the airport every week for 18 months, it didn't need to be charged to get there and back and that only had a 16kWh usable battery.

Your commuters using the park and ride are far more likely to just not need a charge at the park and ride site.

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭pron

Or, far more simply - provide 3kW charging at each bay .. Enough for a day-trip replenishment for many cars, and easily enough to charge even the hungriest of the current bunch of EVs over the span of a few days ... heck, 2kW per bay would be plenty in airport carparks unless it's the short-term carpark.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭yer man!

This set up has been common in Finland for decades. Most apartment buildings have a socket for each space so people can connect the engine heaters in their car for the depths of winter. Pretty handy now for EVs I say.

• Advertisement

I get what you're saying, but I feel like cabling every spot would be fairly cheap compared to some sort of hot plug system. Reliable mobile robotic systems aren't cheap after all

You could still have a load balancing system which queues the cars, it would just be software controlled instead of a physical robot moving around

For something long term like Dublin Airport, you don't even need 7kW, 2-3kW is probably enough for most people staying a few days

I mean, if nothing else you'd have to tarmac the Blue car park in Dublin Airport for it to work 😁

I disagree, there's a good number of people who travel to Dublin from the other side of Ireland and leave their car for a week. The majority of destinations are available from Dublin and sometimes it doesn't make sense to fly there from another airport

A lot of the hotels around the airport will do a deal where you can stay for one night and leave your car parked for several days while you get the shuttle bus to the airport. I've known a few people who went for that since they had to drive up from Cork and they were going for an early flight

I'm sure many of those people would be very happy to arrive home to a fully charged and preheated car when they're staring into a 2.5 hour drive home

I also think the future for EVs will be smaller battery cars aimed at the budget market. If the mainstream manufacturers don't jump on it soon then the Chinese brands will. Those cars kind of require some level of destination charging to make long trips easier

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,970 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

The current trend amongst chinese battery innovations is small batteries that are capable of charging very quickly.

The numbers currently available show that an on-street AC charger can't pay for itself within 10 years. I don't think adding an expensive robotics system that requires all manufacturers to buy into it (to allow remote charging activation) to airport car parks is going to be any part of a future solution.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,253 ✭✭✭jackofalltrades

Yes I'd love to jump into a fully charged and preheated car after getting in from a late flight.

Dublin Airport is just about on the return trip without recharging limits for my car.

Cold nights and fogged up windows make it even tougher.

A very low power AC socket would be really appreciated.

I could drive home in a warm car at full motorway speeds with no range anxiety.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,729 ✭✭✭zg3409

The solution already existed at quickpark (now closed) where you booked a premium parking space and left charging card on seat. Car would be recharged near return date and moved to express collection point.

There is big money to be made and at Dublin airport many airport own vehicles including plane movers are 100% electric.

Start off with 20 premium spots and increase based on demand. Already the ferries charge a premium to book the EV charger.

I do agree the financials for profit making on AC chargers do look problematic if you are not billing crazy prices or not getting other income such as hotels a few of which still offer free charging.

I heard a comment from easygo that in street AC chargers all need a separate esb supply and esb meter which makes them crazy expensive as esb networks are the only ones who can run power lines under public footpaths. The monthly meter cost alone would make these unviable in scale particularly if chargepoint is not in daily use.

100% agree, start with providing charging at a few spots and offer a booking ahead service for extra cost, then see how it goes from there

I suspect that for a private car park the cabling can be done by any electrician, and would be much cheaper than paying ESBN rates. So AC chargers might not be as dubious a prospect

I also suspect that the only way to make money on AC is to go big. Make a charging site so big and well known that everyone goes there and it gets constant turnover

The 10x AC chargers in Pavilions, Swords always seem to be at least 50% in use. Would love to see some stats on that site

• Registered Users Posts: 5 ismailkho

Same old nissan

Abject crap that can't cool/heat itself and cant use CCS

Got my Tesla cable this morning, nearest I'll ever get to having a Tesla.

LOL, you never know. If you had told me today 6 years ago that I was about to buy a Hyundai. A brand new one at that. I would have laughed. Or that I would ever own a Tesla. I have just ordered my 3rd one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,914 ✭✭✭kanuseeme

The All New Maxus Mifa 9 Fully Electric Luxury 8 Seater Is Now Available To Order From The Chapelizod Showroom. Orders Now Being Taken For Delivery in April 2023. Check Out This Absolutely Loaded Luxury Electric Vehicle. You Will Be Amazed At The Spec, The Space And The Electric Range

Battery pack: 90kW ternary lithium from CATL with a range of 323 miles / 520km (NEDC)

Consumption: 17.9kWh / 100km (62 miles)

180kW motor with a maximium torque of 350Nm

MIFA 9 is the industry's first intelligent driving housekeeper, which automatically recognises driving style through data and scene driving

Equipped with MAXUS pilot intelligent driving assistance system with functions such as narrow road traffic, helping drivers avoid obstacles on both sides perfectly, and free parking, which can scan and monitor at 150m 2 environment around the vehicle

Body size 5,270 x 2,000 x 1,840mm

Three different trim levels

Wheelbase 3,200mm

Choice of 7 and 8-seater models featuring luxury seating with motorised backrest, leg support and front and rear movement complemented by functions including ventilation, heating and massage

Chunky aero wheels and the low ground clearance enhance the style on the sides and at the rear, the full-width taillights flow all the way to the vehicle's shoulders

MAXUS' MIFA concept features a large, high-set bonnet doesn't slope like traditional MPVs and the narrow headlamps and prominent bumper creates a powerful impression

€79,950

Advertisement