Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should I grow barley, maize or other

Options
  • 23-10-2022 8:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭

I am talking to a neighbour about renting some of his land from him, if I go for it I will put it into grass in a couple of years but do not have the animals for it next year so was thinking of growing a crop for one year and am currently researching the costs and potential profit from this (if any)

Anyone got any links to good information on the economics of this?

Pros and Cons of growing barley or maize on it?

FYI I will need to get a contractor to do a lot of the work, also the fields are currently in 'grass' but really they are not being farmed and are just weeds.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,740 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

Tillage lads I know from home seem to think that Spring Barley is the crop to go with next year

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,206 Mod ✭✭✭✭K.G.

Alot depends on what you can sell and when do you need the grass again.withe barley there should be plenty time to reseed after harvest whereas with maize it's unlikely you ll get it reseed next autumn.also maize likes slurry and lots of it whereas barley will grow fine without it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

If sowing oats in March, when would you harvest?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,509 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Should all be cleared by the middle of August. Definitely time to reseed.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,990 ✭✭✭tabby aspreme

Spring oat's would be a later ripening crop than barley, some years it may not be fit to harvest till late August

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭adriant900

Good points and worth considering. There will be no rush getting the grass established, it can get slurry if necessary. I imagine there will be demand for either, if I grow maize the contractor can organise the sale of it and if I grow barley the local co-ops would buy it at market rates.

Main question is which is more likely to be profitable and which carries more risk?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

Can you sell the barley / oats to a farmer as feed stuff or does it need processing first

• Registered Users Posts: 3,990 ✭✭✭tabby aspreme

You would likely need a way of drying grain if selling direct to a farmer, another option would be to grow wheat or barley and sell it for wholecrop harvesting, it would be cut in July then, but this would need to be organised before sowing

• Registered Users Posts: 6,689 ✭✭✭jaymla627

Maize is going locally for 90 plus euro a ton delivered, if you can grow a 18 ton plus crop, you'll make money at the above money, but the costs of growing it are touching nearly a 1000 euro a acre when plastic/fertilizer/ and all contracting costs are included add rent on top and your needing a huge wedge of money to cashflow growing it

• Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

If weather goes against you the field will be a state getting maize out of it. Barley or wheat prob the safer bets, gives more options getting it off as well with wholecrop, let whoever buys it sort the contractor for harvest

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,034 ✭✭✭alps

Would you consider doing something that would add to the fertility and soil condition rater than stripping it of more nutrients....setting it up for your years ahead as a grazing farm?

https://youtu.be/mqQU1Ox4FDc

• Registered Users Posts: 3,204 ✭✭✭Good loser

Ley ground - as yours is - is generally/often sown to wheat.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,147 ✭✭✭jimmy G M

Where abouts are you located and is the ground free draining. Is there much tillage locally and what crops are grown?

Cork, ya free draining, mostly dairy around here, of the tillage, there is barley and maize grown so either is possible and both have a market. Which is most likely to have a positive return is what I am wondering and pros and cons of both.

The land in question has been lieing idle for the last few years with just weeds growing, I wonder how that will effect yields? Would getting a 3tonne of barley yield be completely out of the question given it has not been farmed therefore unlikely to have top fertility?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,740 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

If its resting like that its probably a good thing for soil fertility

What do you think of the following costings / acre for spring barley?

Materials:

Seed €43, Fertiliser €280, Lime €23, Spray €73

Contractors:

Ploughing €55, Power Harrow €55, Rolling €13, Planting €50, Spraying €19, Fertiliser €24, Lime €15, Harvesting €62, Straw Baling €30

Total cost per acre: €742 before rent.

Advertisement