Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kilkenny GAA Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,733 ✭✭✭Grats

Mooncoin won the minor final in 2019.

Edit - this should read 2018.

Post edited by Grats on

• Registered Users Posts: 772 ✭✭✭Marrooned

Don’t think so. The Boro won the last four minor titles Mooncoin bet the Boro in 2018.

Correct, I meant to say 2018 which means they are under 21 now. That's why I posted that Mooncoin will take beating.

• Registered Users Posts: 772 ✭✭✭Marrooned

Sorry brats I’m not trying to piss you off but at that time in 2018 was the minor not u18

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭DeHorse88

Dicksboro the big favourites so with O’Loughlins and Mooncoin next in line?? Mooncoin have Erins Own in their quarter in 2 weeks

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭sportsmaddad

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭The Birchfield Boy

Well what's the feeling in the age grades with ppl around here? Is the vote happening here soon?

I feel that reverting to the traditional ages will happen with minor going to 18 being the big one.(I'm talking club level only here. Inter co going u17 and u19 I believe!) The real issue here is not the age but the decoulping of u18 players from adult fixtures. Not many 18 yr olds will play senior or inter at club level but is probably more of an issue for junior clubs then? If the link to play up is kept then the scheduling of these games is vital. I feel two alternative games calenders should be provided.. one for decoupled games and one for traditional "playing up' games.. let clubs vote on the sechdule then. Go in with eyes wide open as opposed to traditional sentiment.

Personally I see no issue with games being decoupled. No games should be put off or delayed based on a minor or adult game. Otherwise a strict and robust games calendar is vital

• Registered Users Posts: 1,278 ✭✭✭JJs Left Hand

I can never see Kilkenny going with a different minor than the intercounty set up

So keep at club minor at 17 you think will be the result? Interesting

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39 Senditinlow

I think it's quite simple. Restore U14, 16 and U18 and no U18 player can play adult hurling full stop. U13 grade is no comparison to U14, using juvenile goals on the '14 is a disaster I think. I'd also suggest moving U21 to U20 as the 3 year gap from minor to U21 is too long, clubs are losing too many players. Maybe a round Robin championship at U20 might be an idea, it's the only grade where its knockout with no league format.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭Comerman

Well done to our all stars especially Mikey, well earned 👏

• Registered Users Posts: 2,341 ✭✭✭robwen

Is that young hurler of the year 4 years in a row for Kilkenny now?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭Billy Ocean

It is indeed Mullen 19, Cody 20&21 and Butler this year. Age changed to u22 this year on the award used to be u21.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,084 ✭✭✭PeggyShippen

Thats a great record and you couldn't quibble with them. Probably puts more pressure on the team to deliver an All Ireland in a way.

Support 🇮🇱 Israel

• Registered Users Posts: 2,747 ✭✭✭brookville

It's good we are producing good young players despite our minor and u21 being poor. It's that 3 or 4 young players in a row. I never doubted mikey I was just afraid he injuries might hold him back. He snuffed eoin cody out of it in the county final and snuffed out cathal mannion,Tony Kelly and his man didn't score in the All Ireland.

Alot of eyes will be on us next year with new management. Alot of people are of the opinion cody was holding us back.i think the bit of freshness will be good. I know its a different ball game but the u20s had tactics with puckouts so this itself will be good.Heard a few lads who had good club campaigns are going or gone travelling. Liam blanchfield and Liam hennesy are gone. Glenmore like the bridge are expected to lose a few players. It's the same throughout the country.

A few danesfort lads should be called in and if Richie can stay injury free he might give it another year. He was excellent last Sunday and while most were cramping he was moving well

Alot of the u20 could be called in and will get great experience in training with the seniors.i dont think many are ready yet for the senior but billy drennan,timmy clifford and denis walsh all look good prespects.

Owen wall from olg,Michael Kenny,aidan Tallis will hopefully be called in.Shane Walsh needs a proper rub.James bergin needs a good run aswell. Tallis is overage next year and I really liked him in goal but although injured for the relegation he's very lively corner foward especially when we're lucky in the county with goalies he could be an option

I wonder will Lyng be able convince ronon ronan corcoran to commit.It seems unlikely. Darragh Corcoran has filled out and himself and David blanchfield need to be tried at 5 and 7 next year.Adrian mullen has taken his game to another level fair play to him. I thought he would really struggle to come back after the injury. The first job Lyng will have to fix is midfield. Brian spent 4 or 5 years chopping and changing but Lyng having played in this position will know what he's looking for hopefully.

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭Neewollah

Boro knocked out of under 21. Big shock. Well done Dunnamaggin.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,747 ✭✭✭brookville

That was a big shock alright. I wasn't at it but Liam Moore got sent off. You would still expect the boro to have too much but fair play to Dunnamaggin

• Registered Users Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭tbiggertycome

Fair play to Dunnamaggin a great win for them, I didn't get out to it. Seemed like a very tight game and low scoring with only a point in it at the end. The Boro were missing Harry Shine (hamstring) and Niall Rowe, Timmy Clifford, Padraig Moylan and Liam Moore are all doing very heavy programs with the county at the minute and I'd say they weren't 100% for that game. Not hugely surprising when you know that.

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭KK36

Well done to our All Stars. A great achievement

• Advertisement

How many of the maggin lads would also be doing that program? Denis Walsh, joe Fitz

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Girlcat

Only excuses for the boro. Dunnamaggin fought hard for every ball deserved winners great team effort. Lots of lads on winter gym programmes not just Boro lads

• Registered Users Posts: 1,354 ✭✭✭Village87

What a ridiculous comment. Id imagine most clubs especially in Roinn A have players doing heavy gym work. Last time i checked other clubs aside from Dicksboro represented Kilkenny.

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭jamesbond2022

Long time reader of this forum and have to say I enjoy the amount of waffle that’s spoken about dicksboros underage exploits winning this and winning that over the years and how there senior team is flying in the league every year and will have a real go at the senior championship when realistically they won one senior tittle in the last ten years and yes had some fine u20 players this year but for a club of its seize and resources and playing numbers haven’t produced a top class inter county hurler since Cillian Buckley

• Registered Users Posts: 13,425 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

Players having to do heavy winter gym programmes with the inter-county setup whilst also playing in the latter stages of the club championship sounds absolutely idiotic... or is there something I'm missing? 🤔

• Registered Users Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭tibruit

"no U18 player can play adult hurling full stop."

Two of the most prolific forwards in Junior hurling this year were U18. I`d say Rower-Inistioge would have been happy to play one of their U17`s on their intermediate team. One of the biggest issues for me with our U17`s this year was that they were all cossetted away playing practice games and drills when they should have playing competitive games for their clubs in the early rounds of the local leagues.

• Registered Users Posts: 572 ✭✭✭Local_Chap

• Registered Users Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭tibruit

• Registered Users Posts: 1,278 ✭✭✭JJs Left Hand

Lar Murphy played centre back for Tullogher as well didn't he?

Gearóid Dunne played for Tullaroan.

St Martins played a number of U18s.

Joe Fitz for Dunnamaggin.

Niall Shortall for Shamrocks.

Shine and Hackett played at times for the Boro.

As with all these things some are able and some are not. It's on the clubs to manage their load. That's where the issue is. When these lads are being asked to play Junior E, B and intermediate as well as U19 plus schools hurling. It's on the clubs and the people in charge to protect them.

• Advertisement

Poor enough showing from the Boro senior and under 21 this year. I know Mickey Walsh is managing the senior but who is the under 21 manager?

Advertisement