Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Marathon 2022

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,233 ✭✭✭Wottle

Support was epic, organisation incredible, but the start...severely lacking atmosphere, no pumping music like Berlin or Amsterdam or even a proper countdown before the off.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,097 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Agreed about the start. Was like being at the back of parkrun briefing and everyone just starts clapping for unknown reasons... Then a few minutes later you start running because everyone has moved in front of you. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,812 ✭✭✭hawkwing

14,332 finishers it seems. Not surprised it is down on the 17,724 from 2019 etc due to people being entered since the backend of 2019 and the likes. Why was there no livestream on Youtube this year :-(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭rovers_runner

Great to be back again.

Start was a mess, no policing of bibs for entry to wave pen I was in. No buzz at start of any of the waves.

The amount of ambulances was scary. Saw three different lads at death's door at various points.

Anyhow, as I said, great to finally be back.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,682 ✭✭✭Cartman78

Amazing atmosphere all the way round pretty much...despite the lower number of runners there seemed to be a lot more supporters than in 2019.

Seen 2 or 3 guys getting CPR/defibrillator on my walk back to the hotel 😔...awful to see, hope everyone ok

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,097 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

About 600 dropped out part way round, or didn't make the start after picking up their numbers then. It was showing 149?? on the tracking app earlier.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭webpal

Fair play to all the volunteers, there must of been hundreds of them. Don’t know about you but I seemed to dodge all the showers. Great conditions, who would have thought we’d be wondering around the start in shorts and singlets and nothing else.

Saw a good few people down including 2 inside the last mile, fair play to everyone for their quick responses. Hope everyone is ok.

To broaden out the point on the ambulances, in fairness the responses were excellent as the Gardai also had to assist in some places due to the volume of problems.

2023 opens Tuesday with a loyalty first refusal again to this year's entrants.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭webpal

• Registered Users Posts: 987 ✭✭✭Pinoy adventure

€110 is getting too a point I’d second guess

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

Great day out with great support.

A shame that a transfer system wasn't set up. Lots of other people could have ran. Nearly 10,000 not running after paying 100eur.

The issue with the Lucozade Sport needs to be sorted. Getting a plastic cup around mile 20. A. You are lucky to grab it and B. You are even luckier if you get any of it into your mouth.

Why can't a 250ml bottle be done? I presume Lucozade don't manufacture that size but surely there is another electrolyte company that would provide them. It also could be earlier and at least a couple of stops, maybe instead of water.

Fantastic friendly volunteers again. Thanks to you all and rip to Pat Hooper.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭chabsey

Managed to grab an entire bottle at that point held out by a nice lady near the last table. Agreed about it being too difficult to drink from a cup, whatever about water but the stickiness from spilled sugary drink doesn't feel great.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭chabsey

Yeah that's over the psychological 100 euro barrier...I know prices have increased on everything but that seems quite the jump.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,385 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

I've been following this thread for a number of weeks but hadn't posted to date. Today was my first marathon. Absolutely loved it. The atmosphere at certain points was excellent.

I took it fairly easy as tbh I hadn't done enough training but will definitely focus on the next one. Buzzing this evening although the legs are in an absolute jocker 😆

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭FazyLucker

Well done to everyone, what an ideal day for it after Saturday and based on tomorrow.

Hope you all enjoyed it (as much as you can a marathon) and the legs recover soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭racersedge

A 3:04:28 for myself, PB by almost 5 minutes from Manchester. I’ll get a proper report done for the log, but the quick and dirty is that the aspired sub-3 escapes me. Those drags at 34/35K with the breeze into the face just literally and figuratively took the wind out of my sails. I swore I was need of the jacks for the final 8K but didn’t stop. Funnily enough, didn’t need it at the finish. I do wonder if it was just my groin niggle moving centrally and given me hardship! I honestly had nothing left to give, even on the home stretch.

Im happy. Dublin course is a tough mistress. I didn’t stop, unlike previous attempts. Don’t get me wrong, there is a tinge of disappointment that I didn’t reward the training block with the result. I’ll deep dive into things in the coming days and weeks.

The support on course remains a highlight of this marathon. At €110 for an entry, I honestly question if I’ve done my minimum targets for this course and it’s time to move on to other races.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭tobottherobot

Great to see it back again. Crowd were great. Really struggled for the last 3 miles… no juice left at all but came in for a PB 3:46.

Like other people have said, the start is a non-event and disappointing… wouldn’t take a lot to put that right. I’d like to see more bands playing every couple of miles as it really lifts the atmosphere. At €110, it won’t put me off a race that’s special to me but I’d like to see them give more for that.

Well don’t to everyone who got through it, big thanks to the volunteers and hopefully all those getting assistance are on the mend 🙏

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭FinnC

I think me Dublin Marathon days are over for the time being at least. Would like to concentrate on other Marathons.

Would like to Volunteer at Dublin next year maybe, how do you go about that?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,421 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Email the office to register or see if someone from your club co-ordinates a group. Only got the details recently, registered at the end of May. Very enjoyable experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,485 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

I had a similar experience, just slower. Got a PB but missed out on my target by not very much and it was the final 6/7k where the time was lost. Clonskeagh road is mentally just a huge grind and I don't think it's just because of where it comes on the course. Like others I think I will look elsewhere for my next marathon, Dublin is just starting to feel like one long series of drags.

Also, **** plastic cups and anybody who advocates for them. There are plenty of shorter races where they can be used, but in a full marathon they are nothing but a **** curse. Bollocks to them.

All in all, a well organised race with great volunteers and great support, money well spent even if I came up a minute short.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭FinnC

Yeah I really just have enough of the drags, really got bored with them today.

Support of course was second to none but like you say there really is too many drags. I find the Crumlin rd once you’re past the canal bridge so tedious.

I’ll be looking elsewhere for the next few years.

I wonder would they look at a course change or are they joined at the hip to it now given how it does work for them with road closures and proximity to transport/services.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,868 ✭✭✭billyhead

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭FazyLucker

I was wondering what I was missing when I suggested a few weeks ago that I absolutely hate that stretch up the Crumlin Road. For me, that's the most boring part of the whole route.

I guess logistically closing off major arteries in any city is problematic but I have always hated the drag up Clonskeagh and Roebuck, given where it comes in the route. It comes at a point when the body is really starting to struggle regardless.

It would be great to see the route mixed up a bit or even every few years do something different, even running it in reverse. But as I've said before, I am not a marathon planner and I'm sure the logistics of it all must be unreal.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,677 ✭✭✭Trampas

Route should be changed. I think they just do what they are told. Even for family to watch you in different parts they need transportation of some kind. Some other city marathons you could walk to parts to see them. The run from dolphins bar to busy park is quiet enough bar walkinstown roundabout and maybe a one or two other spots.

Surprised with cups at roebuck for water. Could have cups in Phoenix Park and put the bottles there.

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭racersedge

He cups there, and only there did seem like an odd choice. What actually threw me at Roebuck was the lack of signage for ‘Heartbreak Hill’. Passed it and thought ‘was that it?’, especially with the sharper climb a few kilometers later!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

What was the sharper climb after Roebuck? Thought that was the steepest on the course.

• Registered Users Posts: 979 ✭✭✭pc11

The 30cm rise at Mount Street bridge was a killer!

• Registered Users Posts: 572 ✭✭✭R.F.

First ever marathon and managed a 3:56 gun time. It’s my best personal achievement and the last 7km was the hardest thing I’ve ever done

distance on my Garmin was 42.68. That’s a fair whack over. Did anyone else have similar?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭ligerdub

Heartbreak hill is only about 200metres long but it is the steepest individual section of the course I think.

Personally I really like the course. I think the fact that you do most of the climbing in the first 7 miles is a big positive, plus there are various times of challenges and relief. From a elevation change point of view there's very few tedious points.

I think it's fair to say that this would be considered one of the more challenging days from a weather conditions point of view? Warmer than usual and fairly windy. Is that a potential reason why this is a point of discussion?

Advertisement