Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Seamus Power - PGA Tour Winner 2021/22

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,637 ✭✭✭joebloggs32

The exemption includes this season 22/23, but he already has that along with the following two seasons. So he has full playing rights all the way through to the end of the 24/25 season.

It also locks down an invite to the masters and PGA championships along with cemnting his place as a top 50 player.

It now really sets him up for a tilt at the Ryder Cup as he can now fully determine his schedule over the next year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 344 ✭✭Scrabbel

Let’s not forget the combination of a strong breeze and being the back nine on Sunday makes for huge pressure. Albeit he’s made mistakes (like 2nd on 18 just now) he’s just got on with it after and kept ahead of where he needs to be.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,757 ✭✭✭Trampas

Remember the most important thing was 500 fedex points

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭Doc07

Good man Seamus. The exemption is massive in terms of pressure off and can focus on tournaments he wants to play. Regardless of lack of other top 50 players in field he still had to convert the win. Class another Irish PGA tour winner

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭IHateNewShoes

Could be argued that it's even tougher to close out in that situation for Seamus Vs. against some bigger names. All the expectation and pressure was on him today.

Delighted for him, would be great to see him make a run at the Ryder cup team!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,417 ✭✭✭PokeHerKing

Great win, took the scenic route but a win still means so much to his life/career that its still extremely pressure filled. Definitely think that second win means maybe the next Pebble he goes on and wins it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,324 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Great win, looking back at his recent break, he obviously knew what he was doing. Very strategic the way he targets this time of year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭Golfgraffix

Great win, I think he was the highest ranked player in the field. Heavy lies the crown. Great way to back up the expectation.

Up to 32 in world

• Registered Users Posts: 2,781 ✭✭✭Motivator

Unbelievable win there. The chips were down and he delivered, albeit a bit of a wobbly finish but I think Griffin did him no favours either. A player in your group having a meltdown on a Thursday or a Friday is bad enough but on the back 9 on Sunday when you’re going toe to toe I’d say it’s a very strange feeling.

This is a huge win for many reasons - money, fedex points and more exemptions. Up to 30th in the world now and we’re going to see him switch back to Europe I’d say Abu Dhabi and Dubai for sure in January anyway. A good showing in those tournaments and I’d say he’s a shoe in for the Ryder Cup. People will probably argue that falling over the line in a weak event like he won tonight won’t do him many favours but I think the opposite. Essentially a match play situation for 15 holes and he didn’t back down. He’s a good match play player and he doesn’t seem fazed by anything - his showing in the 3 Majors in the US this year confirm that.

A fantastic win tonight and I’m just thrilled for him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,288 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

Not the best back 9 to watch but a massive win.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 B lotto 79

The most impressive thing about this was he was the top ranked player in the field - and he won. That’s impressive.

He’s set up for the rest of the year now and a further exemption on Tour. Great stuff. Would love to see him have a really good run at a major.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,377 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Back to back winners for local lads too which is nice 👍

• Registered Users Posts: 2,781 ✭✭✭Motivator

I genuinely think he has the game to have a serious tilt at the Masters. The hidden traps on the course kind of caught him out in April but the experience will have brought him on a huge amount. The humps and the hollows on the fairways and the greens are only seen when you actually play the course. He had a very good showing in April as well. He and Simon both spoke about how well his game is suited to difficult courses and that’s reflected in his US Open and PGA performances where, with a small bit of luck, could have made a run at the leaders on the Sunday.

Augusta suits him though and while that sounds stupid considering he’s only played 4 rounds there, the course suits his game and suits his eye. Absolutely he’s good enough to win a major, he knows he is as well.

Time for an update to the thread title 😃

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,082 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Another win for the good guys, himself and Lowry could be a great pairing for the Ryder cup.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭Lad GAGA

Delighted for him after a tough spell he won again on the Tour, two wins in two years brilliant achievement, sets him up for life really. Ryder cup a real possibility now.

Hes put his name on the Nedbank timesheet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,740 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

He’s playing Mexico this weekend

Presumably he's looking to play in Dubai as he's going to the Nedbank.

The win on Sunday really frees him up to have a shot at Ryder Cup qualification. With his high world ranking now he should be able to compete in all the majora and WGC events so he can now have a shot at qualifying from the European tour points list

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭OEP

Doesn't look like he's playing in the Nedbank. Said in an interview he's playing in the RSM Classic in 2 weeks and then that's it for the year.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,179 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

The exclusion of LIV golfers (and him being US based) ensures he's almost guaranteed at this stage

Not sure if allowed, but the below link to the odds of players making the team would have him just inside the top 12, 12th favourite.. Which is crazy if you ask me. Casey is ahead of him for example.

I would have 7 golfers (McIlroy, Rahm, Fleetwood, Lowry, Hovland, Fitzpatrick, Hatton) who should be almost bankers... Seamus will have a great chance of one of the other 5 spots.

https://m.skybet.com/golf/ryder-cup-2023/event/28343885

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,945 ✭✭✭The Big Easy

He's sticking with his schedule as planned. He's considering the new Hero Challenge Asia vs Europe thing and either Abu Dhabi or Dubai on the same trip in January.

But he's going to play the Champions event, and obviously Pebble, so it doesn't really suit going East at all, but he wants to show he's serious about making the team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,945 ✭✭✭The Big Easy

Due to LIV and his own good play, he's probably going to end up in the Top 20 soon!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭CMcsporty

Masters is the one. That Mallet Ping PLD3 putter seems to really suit. I think he used the same one when winning last year at the barbasol.

But he used a different putter at The Masters!!!

His all round game is solid and he rarely makes a DB. He didn’t make any on his debut at Augusta. His around the green game is also solid. Another key at Augusta. And he can score birds.

"I felt like I played very well in the Masters, couldn't get my putter going, but I really felt I played very well in the US Open and the PGA. To see my game kind of hold up under those kinds of conditions was very encouraging.“

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,377 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Solid opening 67 (-4) and 5 shots off the day1 pace.

Ticking along nicely today as well. -9 and up to T8. 5 holes left to play, we're getting the odd glimpse of him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,459 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Was in such a nice position until 2 bogies in last 5 holes brought him back as leaders went up to -16. Hopefully gets into top 10 by the end

• Advertisement

Advertisement