Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Attempting to destroy famous paintings because fossil fuels

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,569 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

I said I am pro fossil fuels because there are no alternatives,

So you think that the human race will be fcuked once the oil and coal runs out? Because fossil fuels availability as a resource running out is guaranteed.

Or do you not think that whatever direction society moves in and that point, could be prioritized on being introduced now?

Something like 50% of all car journeys in the western world are less than 3 miles, in the US its more like 70%. There absolutely are alternatives to what we are doing, the Netherlands literally have shown countries how to do it, to suggest that there are no alternatives is either deliberately or unintentionally ignorant.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,232 ✭✭✭TooTired123

You don’t seem to realize that if these attention grabbing stunts were intended to force the public to acknowledge the climate emergency, and in turn force the UK government to take more urgent action, that the first part of that plan has worked.

But not in the way they intended.

All it has done is cement in the minds of the public the idea that the protestors and the people who support them, you, for instance, consider themselves to be superior in every way (for example your Amazon image there) and are part of the elite who hold everyone else in contempt.

The UK government aren’t under any pressure therefore from the great unwashed, who are already only concerned about the economic situation and would welcome the reopening of the mines if they thought it would save them a few Bob.

You've spoken to the entire British public have you? Because if not, all you're doing is projecting your view on to what they think.

Your argument is the same used to tell railway workers they shouldn't strike for better pay while shareholders make massive profits.

Throughout history, change has frequently come about because of a growing consensus which eventually crossed a threshold to sway the majority of public opinion.

If you're looking at this entire topic, and what you're bringing to the table is only condemnation of those provoking the discussion then you're an obstacle to change. And that change is needed. Keeping your head in the sand, whether looking for oil or ignoring reality, is not going to fix the problems that are already impacting the human race but likely catastrophically so unless we change. Ignorance or distraction from that reality is part of the problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭mufflets2

Speak for yourself not everyone has an inferiority complex and thinks the protesters are trying to be "Superior to them in every way"

I consider them to be brave people who are putting themselves out in order to make the world better for us all

I hate continueing to draw from the past But 90% of the people felt that Rosa park was just looking for attention at the time - Sound familiar - Look how that turned out.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,047 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

It's not about commuting, it's about industry, heavy transport, shipping, the chemical industry, plastics, air transport and so on. In another thread, I barely scratched the surface of the role hydrocarbons play in the manufacture of a wind turbine, and it's near mind boggling how vital they are. The peak oil/hydrocarbon catastrophism doesn't interest me because it's a myth that was well and truly exposed as fallacy.

This is from an article on peak oil written in 2008:

But in 1971, U.S. oil production peaked at 10 million barrels per day, and it has been dropping ever since, to a current level of 5 million barrels per day. "The peak oil theory looks at the U.S. experience and believes the world will peak also," explains Considine. "The biggest question is when."

See, peak oil was reached and now the US is stuffed - right? In 2021 the US was producing 16.6 million barrels per day.

• Advertisement

Do you understand that it is the burning of fossil fuels that is the major problem?

No, I'm not a catastrophist - well not your sort of catastrophist , anyway.

You are just not getting this.

The hydrocarbons used in manufacture is not a major issue - it is the BURNING of fossil fuels that is the problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,051 ✭✭✭patnor1011

You do not get it as it seems. Hydrocarbons used in manufacture IS the burning of fossil fuels.

• Advertisement

Ah - No the burning of fossil fuels that has caused the climate crisis involves large scale use of petrol, diesel, coal, ect that we have been "burning" over the years in cars and trucks and in power stations - This has caused a build up of CO2 (agreenhouse gass) in the atmosphere

which is acting like a blanket around the earth and causing the temperature of the entire plannet to rise - and is already changing the climate in some places to devestating effect and has the potential to cause even greater destruction to the entire planet

A completely separate issue is the separation of crede oil into its constituent parts (including into hydrocarbons for manufacturing) or refining - this process can be the cause of the release of toxins into the environment - but like all industrial processes it depends on how strictly procedures are followed and local environmental protection laws are enforced/Inspected

The first issue is a threat to our planet - the second one is not

Has that clarified it ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,232 ✭✭✭TooTired123

Utterly ridiculous post here. First of all, please show me in my posts where I said anyone was just looking for attention?!? Freudian slip on your behalf maybe?

Also, the absolute arrogance and self delusion of you to compare people lying in the middle of the road, glueing themselves to the pavement, at absolute zero physical or any other risk to themselves, before returning to their comfortable homes, after putting hard pressed emergency services to the bother of freeing them, to Rosa Parks who literally put her life on the line, landing herself in terrible danger for the rest of her life.

See, this kind of ridiculous self aggrandizing to the level of Walter Mitty-ishness is part of the reason why apart from the tiny circle of equally arrogant supporters you have, no one, but no one is on your side.

Rosa Parks? Spare me please…..

So the Rosa Parks comparrison is not a comparrison of her personal suffering with theirs

the comparison is with the establishment doing something blatantly unjust and wrong

in this case - continuing to use fossil fuels in a way that benefits them at a cost to future generations, birds and animal species , the planet, others .

Understand?

I dont know why you are so angry I admire your honesty - You are crystal clear that you are a biggot and mention numerous times that part of your dislike of the protesters relates to their "socio economic group" which is one that you feel you are not part off. If I held such prejudiced opinions I am not sure that I would share them so freely👋

You don't get it to a spectacular degree. What are wind turbine masts made from?

😂🤣Sory I missed the bit at the end 😂🤣are you 😅"not on my side"😭😪😂

• Registered Users Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Count Dracula

Being notionally aware of how our environment operates is a positive thing. But it should not be used to smack the rest of the planet with either. Destroying Art defeats the purpose of having an environment in the first place. Some of my favourite drawings are of the Black country in the 19th century, long before Scandanavian scientists started developing theories on meter long tubes of ice pulled from the Thundra. The fact remains that the earth is a lot more robust than we give it credit for. As humans evolve so will our demands on our surroundings and how we abuse, use or utilise it. That will never end.

Edwin Butler Bayliss

Dark Satanic Mills

It is magnificent art all said,

It is a good thing so that no one was "destroying art"

What are you saying - are you implying that the climate crisis is being exagerated ? or something ?

There is a scientific cosensus saying otherwise - You Know?

It is certainly exaggerated by certain viewpoints, probably in both directions.

I don't think it is as detrimental as it is being perceived by certain experts and monopolised by others. There is an information chasm that is being ignored by both sides of the argument, to suit their own agendas' from where I am sitting. Which regrettably is exactly what the climate "debate" has capitulated into, lots of know-alls spewing bile on a mere 50 odd years of research, much of it flawed. How scientists can find such dramatic conclusions based on a miniscule timescale when compared with the age of this planet... it actually baffles me how climate antagonists' can be so biased they can lack the ability to look elsewhere for solutions, it is essentially a power grab. There are too many vested interest's and I am implicating scientists in that aspersion, if I go from a college thesis in my 20's to EU funded global science field trips, building an entire team and lifestyle around it.... I am not going to spit the dummy at any stage of the argument. If I am getting well rewarded for having such and such an opinion it will certainly bias my opinion, it is almost a conflict of interest when considered objectively.

It is not dissimilar to early bigotry and control introduced by organised religion down the centuries. You have these priests and bishops who somehow have this key to heaven and God himself... so you better be good people and do as they say or else? 21st century scaremongering on catastrophic unreversible climate damage mantra being extolled has glaring similarities? The Bishops and witch-hunts have been replaced by activists and overpaid scientific experts..... who we dare not cross examine, because time is running out every year by the centigrade and if we don't do as we are told we are all doomed to hell?

I have more faith in the planet, it has been a hospitable home to humans and wildlife for epoch after epoch. I don't see how it won't deliver its' owned unmanned solution. Don't forget we are only guests of the present, Earth will be here long after homo sapiens are gone.

• Advertisement

JFC, read a book will you.

Such a load of turgid rhetoric that shows a complete absence of scientific process or even position on this topic. To compare their work with that of religions is just so far off the mark it borders on satire.

And no one, absolutely no one is suggesting that the concern here is the demise of the planet, the concern is the ability of humans to co-exist on the planet will all other species of creature whether that be human, mammal, bird, fish or whatever other species you care to mention. And flora and fauna too for that matter.

I remember crying as a child when John Craven was telling us that the Panda's were on the way out.....

It happens.

It is the malign gormless intervention of humans that **** this planet up all the time. I am highly confident that future generations will have bigger issues to face.

I don't think the simile with the reformation was all that far fetched, let it sit with you, the same thing is basically happening. We are being asked to take a leap of faith or face the consequences.

I cycle and use the bin. I am blaming Silicon Valley on the mobile chargers and plastic manufacturers can cough it up. We be fine, think about all the poor humans who live through the bubonic plague, cholera and annual Saharan famine. These things happen, this debate will continue long after our lives are over.

Peace be with you.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,051 ✭✭✭patnor1011

Afraid not...

You do use preschool type of storytelling about how things work when it is actually quite more complicated.

So you do genuinely believe we put way too much of CO2 in atmosphere and this act as a "blanket" and is warming up the planet?

🤣🤣🤣🤣

My god the arrogance or stupidity is breathtaking .

I am often criticised for my style on here - However I believe that it is proper and correct that people such as yourself are ridiculed and laughed at

without a days research you presume to be able to second guess the consunsus of science

"I don't think it is as detrimental as it is being perceived by certain experts and monopolised by others"

but of course you are an expert of equal standing as those who have researched this topic extensively in which case what you "think" is very important.

"How scientists can find such dramatic conclusions based on a miniscule timescale when compared with the age of this planet."

Maybe they hadnt realised that the plannet is old - I will provide a link, perhaps you can contact some of the major research groups who have studied the matter and point this out to them🤣😂

Heres a link to NASAs research on the matter I am sure that they would love to hear from you🤣

"There are too many vested interests" this I actuallly agree with - Does it include those who contradict the settled science to make themselves look clever?

You Imply at the end of your second paragraph that scientists are drawing conclusions (en Mass) in order to gain reward - this is a bold claim have you proof - Maybe you could look up what PIER REVIEWED means it might explain a few things for you.

"I have more faith in the planet,"

😂🤣When you are 😅educating🤣NASA 😁be sure and mention your faith to them😂👍️

I appologise if my tone appeared condescending.

"So you do genuinely believe we put way too much of CO2 in atmosphere"

yes yes yes that is exactly it - there is too much CO2 in the atmosphere Which is acting like the glass in a greenhouse and making the planet warmer- it is often compared to a blanket.

If I were to provide a link to an established source describing the problem in the exact same way - would you read it?

😂🤣Pandas have been protected and bred in captivity to protect them😂🤣

You being " highly confident that future generations will have bigger issues to face"

makes me feel safer and a bit Fuzzy inside🤗

"We be fine, think about all the poor humans who live through the bubonic plague"

Thats where I was going wrong all along (and possibly the protesters as well ) they werent thinking of the Plague😂🤣😅

(and another good point to bring up when you are talking to NASA)🤣

"These things happen, this debate will continue long after our lives are over."

and anyway just look up (at night) theres plenty a spare planets up there anyway 😂🤣

Certainly not worth vandalising the only decent thing most humans produce on this planet.

I think that is why the fanatics went for it, it was like a fundamental proof that they were grasping at their ideals, so they condescendingly decide that the only way to garner attention is ruin something manmade which they haven't ever valued.

Wankers basically.

Bla Bla Bla ............ at least you are not pretending to be clever now.

and how did you get the algorythm to leave the word **** up - lets see if it works for me you XXXXXX 😂

"the only decent thing most humans produce on this planet"

You seem very sentimental about art (that wasnt damaged) how do you feel about the thousands of species of plants and animals that are going extinct and could be lost from the earth forever??

Wankers (yah it worked)

• Registered Users Posts: 82,509 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

And methane etc.

😶

The effects and lifespan of these molecules in the atmosphere are well documented.

• Advertisement

You talk of arrogance and stupidity: Science is not based on consensus, it's meaningless where science is concerned.

Advertisement