Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BoJo banished - Liz Truss down. Is Rishi next for the toaster? **threadbans in OP**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,703 ✭✭✭✭L1011

What might two years of Sunak being competent bring?

A tight Labour-SNP coalition who introduce PR and hence the Tories are out of power for multiple decades.

It's probably better for the Tories to implode and hope they can recover like their Canadian equivalent.

Also, assuming there won't be further incompetence scandals is brave, as the cabinet still has many incompetents in it

I may be mistaken, but didn't Starmer perform a U-turn on supporting proportional representation?

If U-turns are your thing, Starmer is your man.

If they scrape in, they'll do it.

If the roll home with 400+ as your long term and temporary idols Johnson and Truss would have given them, they wouldn't do it.

Just how many U turns have the Tories done in the past six weeks? And don't you always try to defend U turns when the Tories make them?

You cannot invent the future.

Here is what Starmer said only a few weeks ago:

However, the Labour leader said in an interview with the Observer there would be no deal – before or after the election – that would see him back a change. Asked if Labour’s manifesto would include pledges on electoral reform, he said: “No, it’s not a priority for me.”

He added: “There are a lot of people in the Labour party who are pro-PR but it’s not a priority and we go into the next election under the same system that we’ve got, first past the post, and I’m not doing any deals going into the election or coming out of the election.

When Liz Truss performs a U-turn, this thread experiences an apoplectic convulsion.

When Starmer does the same thing, it's framed as acceptable ambiguity.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,603 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

The real question is what can Sunak do in the next two years to change course without completely dismantling the memory of the previous 12 years of government?

Brexit is the real elephant in the room, but obviously he can't go there. His grubby deal to select Braverman proves he hasn't the steel for that.

So what can he do. Truss was right in one sense, the UK needs growth. So where is Sunak going to get it from?

Because without that he faces exactly the same problems that the last few have faced.

And what will he do about NI? Face down the EU, and risk a potential trade war, or accept that growth is needed and face down the failed ideology of the ERG?

And funding for the NHS,rail workers qagw demands,teacher recruitment, Gove promised 300k houses a year those morning.

He has a clear issue with security that must be resolved. Factions within his own party.

He gas already been forced to postpone the budget and forced to accept Hunt as CX.

What gas he done so far that is getting you to warn to him?

• Advertisement

I'm not sure you actually understand what a U turn is

Refusing to commit to something is not one

Backing out almost the entire Kwarteng libertarian wet dream budget is

False, again.

Here is what Starmer stated in 2020:

I also think on electoral reform, we’ve got to address the fact that millions of people vote in safe seats and they feel their voice doesn’t count. That’s got to be addressed. We will never get full participation in our electoral system until we do that at every level.

Starmer, before he was elected as Labour leader, repeatedly stated his support for a constitutional convention and proportional representation.

I mean, even Owen Jones condemned Starmer for performing a U-turn once he got elected.

You can keep saying false, but it doesn't make it so.

He hasn't said they won't do it.

You are projecting that he has, citing some statements that don't commit to it. That's the falsehood here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,793 ✭✭✭Ahwell

Since polls have been recorded in Britain(from about 1945) no political party who has fallen behind by 20%-30% have gone on to win the next election. The polls will no doubt tighten, but Labour will almost certainly win the next election. The only thing really in doubt is by how much.

As for Braverman, according to Tim Shipman, she so unpopular within Westminster that people are literally queuing up to brief against her. She won't survive long.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,548 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

I've seen speculation that the reason Tory ministers keep using their private phones is that they are mostly corrupt and don't want their dodgy messages and shady dealings read by MI5 or anyone else. It's not just laziness or incompetence, it's worse than that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,520 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

While the British imposed PR in some form or another across most of its former colony's before it exited, there is no great love for PR type elections in the UK.

The labour party itself is luke warm if not downright on the idea. From a labour point of view it would give oxygen to Green and liberal politicians. As well if they win a majority they labour politicians will be reluctant to impose a system that would hand some of there power over to other politicians

When the Conservatives get back into power they would reverse process.

However the real opposition would be the printed media and the ordinary voter who have no concept or understanding of PR. As well it would be well nailed down before an election and would be a negative with the electorate IMO

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 26,492 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

The UK FPTP system delivers enormous power to the two established parties, at the expense of voters. For obvious reasons, the established parties will be highly averse to getting rid of it.

But it's extremely difficult to defend as a matter of principle, and in recent years it has been delivering really poor outcomes. If the UK reaches a point of decline where they really can't avoid a long hard look at their political and constitutional structure, I think in that context FPTP would be vulnerable. But it's safe unless and until that point is reached.

You're looking at the Daily Mail headlines about the poll rather than the poll data itself. Can you see the basic error you're making here?

Per the poll results, Sunak is trusted over Starmer on the economy and on tax. However Starmer is trusted over Sunak on the cost of living and on public services. As to which of them is the more trusted as Prime Minister, it's Sunak over Starmer but only by 1%, which is well within the margin of error. A more accurate headline might have said that Sunak and Starmer were neck-and-neck as more trusted PM, but you wouldn't expect an accurate headline from the Daily Mail.

What might two years of a Sunak administration yield? Well, it would be astonishing if it yielded a recovery from the Tories' current poll depths. No UK party leader has ever managed such a thing, and the signs are very much that he won't either. His willingness to parrot meaningless platitudes about wokeness is a sign of weakness — if he's even half as competent as people like to hope he is, he knows they are rubbish. So why is he talking rubbish? Because he's insecure — he feels he needs to shore up the Tory base. He's certainly not going to win the middle ground by doing that.

And continuing to back Braverman, far from being "spot on", looks like an early and obvious mistake. His best hope now is that she implodes again and he can distance himself from her.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭xxxxxxl

No system is perfect look at the USA. I don't think anywhere it's completely fair voting. Ireland system IIRC is about the best. But still haves faults redrawing boarders and alike.

The USA also has FPTP, like the UK, so naturally it suffers from the same faults.

As I say, the primary characteristic of FPTP is that it creates two dominant parties and confers a great deal of power on them. The UK and the US have the longest-lived political parties in the democratic world - not because they have brilliant policies or wonderful leaders, but because they are strongly entrenched by the electoral system, and virtually impossible to shift.

In theory it is possible for one of the two parties to be supplanted by a new party but it is vanishingly rare; in the 200 years since the UK first started down the road to becoming a semi-representative democracy this has only happened once, in the 1920s, when Labour supplanted the Liberals as the only alternative to the Conservatives.

The result is that, if a political movement wishes to attain power or influence in the UK, it most do so by taking over one or other of the established parties.

The result of that is that the struggle for control of the party generally takes precedence over the desire to govern well; after all, if you don’t control the party you can’t govern at all.

The Tory party is in a febrile condition at the moment, dominated by delusional brexiters and ideological economic right-wingers who (because the implementation of their policies is producing such dismal results) feel very insecure in their dominance. Any attempt to lead the party to take a significantly different policy course will be seen by them as an attempt by another faction to seize control of the party, and they will resist that to the (political) death.

There is a flaw the Irish system as well. Its basically based in census figures no where voters are registered. A lot of younger voters are mobile, going to college or during there early working life. Many will register at there home.

Because of this you get an imbalances at voting time where many densely populated urban centres have very low number of voters registered and this creates an imbalance in the actual election

You also have the imbalance of independent candidate pushing local issues

Slava Ukrainii

British radio this morning is just ripping into Braverman on every show. For hiding, not appearing in the house last week, no news of what she might be doing this week, ignoring legal advice on Manston, the security issues (leaky Sue), no statement on the sudden increase in migrant volumes, shoving asylum seekers into hotels without telling anyone of the decision. Presented and guests openly making fun of her Rwanda ‘dream’

In her absence this is going to build and build and I don’t see her surviving it

• Registered Users Posts: 13,401 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Whllst I agree with you that PR is unlikely to be brought in, I think you are wrong to suggest that it would be reversed by the subsequent Tory government.

It would be really difficult for parliament to agree to reverse PR. Firstly, because minor parties would probably be part of a coalition government, and MPs from those parties (Green, Liberal, Reform, whatever) aren't going to vote themselves out of existence. Secondly, even amongst the Tories there would be new MPs from the likes of Merseyside, London, Scotland etc who owe their seats purely to PR.

But all moot really, because I can't ever see it being brought in.

And that could suit Sunak, if he had not reappointed her she would be a leader for dissent on the backbenches. This way her career as a politician is set back 5 years

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 18,548 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

FPTP is an indication of how old fashioned and outdated the British (English) political system and parliament is. As parliaments go, it must be the least modern one in Europe with all the 'my honourable friend', 'order, order' and Black Rod stuff etc. None of this is really appropriate for a modern, functioning parliamentary democracy and FPTP is also a total anachronism.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,653 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Thats crazy if true because the Russians have the Israeli Pegasus phone hacking system which is the same system MBS and Saudi used to hack Jeff Bezos and leak his bedroom photos. It is so effective that a single text message arriving on your phone (even if left unopened) is enough to download all the data on the phone and to listen to phone calls in real time. And it doesnt matter if you are using end to end encryption services like Whatsapp, Telegram as it bypasses all that too.

Kwasi better hope that Truss had no dirty pictures of the two of them on her phone or the Russians will leak them about 10 minutes after he gets inducted into the House of Lords. Truss' affairs aside this is a serious breach of national security at a time when the war in Ukraine was being discussed. Its not just Truss herself, it is likely stacks of communications between her and Foriegn Ministers right across Europe. Putin would have been feasting on that intelligence. And if they hacked Truss they definitely at least tried it on every other Tory cabinet minister. For all we know Putin could be in a very strong position to do damage to the current Tory govt.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,972 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

If PR comes in there will never be another solely Tory government, firstly both the tories and labour will each split into minimum 2 parties if not 3 new parties. Secondly like you say any government would be made up of a colaition who would not want a return to FPtP and a return to the 2 party system which their party will likely not be part of.

It's a valid point, but I think a separate issue. No matter what voting mechanism you have, if you don't have an effective voter registration system there will be distortions. Ireland switching to FPTP, or a list system, or anything else, wouldn't solve the problem you're pointing to.

But it can be solved. One solution - this is available right now, and is perfectly legal - is for students etc to register both where they live during term and where they live during vacation. You can register in any constituency in which you have a residence. What you can't do is vote more than once. In my college days, in the late middle ages, the Students Union ran a voter registration campaign to get students registered in the constituency where the college was. (But I don't know how successful it was; voter participation among the young is relatively low.)

Another solution is to facilitate out-of-area voting. Here in Australia, I can go to any polling station and cast a vote for whatever constituency I am registered in - all polling places have copies of the voting register, and copies of ballot papers, for every constituency.

Not very plausible speculation, I'd say.

I know the standard of intelligence required of Tory MPs is, um, not an overly demanding one, but you'd have to be pretty dim to have reached adulthood and taken an interest in public affairs in the UK and still imagine that your bog-standard mobile phone provides a higher degree of security that the secure phones supplied to ministers. As long ago as the nineties the newspapers were full of transcripts of salacious mobile phone conversations between the then Prince of Wales (now HM the King) and his then doxie (now HM the Queen) which had been listened in on by muckraking journalists. ("Tampongate", anyone?) A few years later we all heard about the same muckraking journalists hacking the phones of murdered children and listening to their messages. Etc, etc. If someone in the UK wants to keep their calls and texts secret, pretty much the last thing they would think is "I know! I'll use an ordinary phone and take no precautions whatsoever!"

The true explanation is much simpler. These people are arrogant, and they don't think the rules apply to them. They're told on induction as ministers that they must use the secure channels for government business, and they are told why. But sometimes doing that is mildly inconvenient. And they take it for granted that, while others must do as they're told, there will be no consequences for them if they themselves don't. So they don't.

Post edited by Peregrinus on

Though I wasn't a Sunak fan in the late stages of the leadership election, his latest wave of policy decisions are certainly warming to me.

iirc, you supported pretty much every candidate at some stage during the leadership election.

Policies were delivered piecemeal throughout the campaign. Therefore, I had to change my mind when the full smorgasbord of policies was available for review. Don't you change your mind when the facts change?

Trying to "catch people out" on this basis, as if it's clever, well...it isn't.

I fully stand by what I said at each stage of the leadership campaign, period.

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

It's interesting that you conflate policies and facts, when by current Tory standards not only are they rarely the same thing, they are usually mutually exclusive.

It really isn't, same as the only gay friends they have support Anne Widdecombe and hate trans rights, all his black friends hate BLM and vote Tory and now all his Brazilian friends love Bolsonaro.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,421 ✭✭✭cml387

Just a point, I believe I read somewhere that the the bugging of royal phones took place at the landline end, i.e. in Clarence house and Kensington palace, not the mobile end.

• Advertisement

Former PM Truss must feel completely humiliated at what happened.

They're erecting giant effigies of Truss, complete with a laughing lettuce, for bonfire night celebrations.

It surely cannot be easy to be made into a figure of utter national humiliation and comedy, and the complete destruction of her political career up to this point - and presumably the end of it going forward.

I understand that people feel that she is incompetent, but this is another level of humiliation. You'd wonder how she's taking it all.

Advertisement