Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General British politics discussion thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,682 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

The sane people in the room know that young immigrant labour is needed to fill jobs it's not about taking anyone else's. Unless higher wages are a price you are willing to pay for constant disruption to construction and hospitality sites not being able to open doors.

That's before we get into the serious stuff of the hospitals having no staff.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,645 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Ask who do we value most as a society, then who do we pay to look after them, and then ask how much do we pay them.

The answer to the first question is the very old and the very young, the second is the minimum qualified (as well as unqualified - and as few as allowed) to do the job, and the third is the minimum wage.

Currently care home and creches in the UK are saying they cannot get staff because supermarkets pay more for shelf stackers.

Until a solution to that is brought into existence, then the old and the young will not be cared for as they should be. It is the same in Ireland.

Perhaps a much higher minimum wage might be justified.

• Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭Cal4567

Not too far out. The 70s into the 80s. My now deceased UK Labour party friends described the slow change and the differing views across the Labour party around it. Older members taking the traditional protectionist view. The younger Blairite generation having the other opinion. I can see those opposing points here in this thread. Older ones such as me with my opinion. I'm closer now to 70 than 60.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,473 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

A higher minimum wage carries its own issues. The UK care sector consists on dumping old people into homes where staff are paid the bare minimum. Councils lost a lot of funding during the coalition years while the need for the care sector only increased.

I'm all for carers getting a better wage but it's not going to happen unless either taxes go up or something else gets cut, probably the latter if it happens at all. Nurses, generally a group with more cultural clout than carers sometimes use foodbanks now. If they've been reduced to that, I can't see things looking up for carers any time soon.

Increasing the minimum wage could help but a lot of people will just gravitate towards easier jobs.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,645 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

I think the term 'skilled' and 'unskilled' is a loose term meaning 'formally qualified' and 'not qualified'.

Someone who can do the job will get the rate for the job if they can do it, unless the qualification is an absolute requirement. An electrician, RGI plumber, and a few other trades need actual qualifications - others do not.

Otherwise, a good reputation and requisite ability will be enough.

• Advertisement

Teo big very very big things happened between those generations.

The birth rate began to plummet and the living age skyrocket to the point that we won't have enough young native people to pay tax to afford to keep the old ones looked after.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,473 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

I look at it in terms of a loan.

Thatcher sold off much of the state's social housing. This meant that people at the time could own their own home so it was immensely popular but it also meant that home ownership became a fantasy for the next generation unless they had wealthy parents who could help financially.

A lot of the UK's heavy industry was always going to leave. Unions had too much control and, even if they didn't, it probably would have left anyway. How much heavy industry remains in Europe? Not so much. Automation and China have largely taken over.

Older generations got the benefit of affordable housing, a construction boom and fiscal generation, millennials and gen z got the bill. The north had a chance to elect the Labour left again and it chose to give Boris Johnson a stonking majority. Had Corbyn won, it'd be at least a decade before the Blairites get anywhere near leadership of the Labour party.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,308 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Don't forget: millennials and Gen Z got the bill, had zero options thanks to multiple global economic crises ... all the while being told they're workshy layabouts too busy with pronouns to do an honest days work. Work and careers that don't exist anymore in the manner meant by their antagonists. At least hippies in the 60s could still pivot to a career and a degree of collective bargaining and industry once their counter-cultural streak was over.

Post edited by pixelburp on

• Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭farmerval

There is another strand to the argument and that is the mostly Tory move from public sector provision to outsourcing. This may be one of the big drivers of anti immigrant feeling across many industries. Former Government jobs that had increasing payscales for years service being outsourced and the new staff completing the work are on the minimum wage or close to it. Prison officers in the UK being let go and the work being outsourced. The new staff will get a fraction of the former staff's wages.

In my youth, the late 70's, loads of school leavers got jobs in the bank, Telecom Eireann, ESB, County Councils, Civil service etc. straight from school or possibly from a secretarial college. These were jobs that offered a path to a reasonable wage that allowed you buy your own home over time etc.

Now lots of these jobs are low paid, short term contracts. Allied to the complete dislocate of the cost of housing, unless you hold a good degree or higher in an in demand field, or are a tradesman (most of whom are in cyclical occupations) the standard expectation of owning your own home, having a family etc may well be beyond you.

This must be a huge driver of social discontent.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,227 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

In

Maggie also sold off the family silver, had North Sea oil income and corporation tax of 35%

All of those incomes are long gone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,429 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

This.

The concept we're looking at here is the dependency ratio - the number of inactive people in society (children, students, the retired, the disabled) in relation to the economically active workforce. As you can see from the chart below, in the UK this reached a peak around 1970, then fell until about 1980, wobbled a bit for the next thirty years or so and is now climbing steeply. The chart shows the number of the economically inactive for every hundred people of working age.

The peak in 1970 had to do with families having lots of kiddies in the 1950s and 60s. In the 1970s they start to enter the workforce and the dependency ratio drops sharply because (a) there are now more workers, plus (b) they themselves have much smaller families, so fewer kids being added to the inactive side of the calculation.

The rise we are seeing now is not to do with lots of kiddies; family sizes are still small in the UK. It's lots of retired people. And this is an issue because (a) retired people cost a lot more to keep than kiddies - they expect to live in their own homes and drive their own cars, the selfish creatures - plus (b) unlike kiddies, they are not going to enter the workforce in due course.

A rising dependency ratio means a squeeze on living standards (each worker has more dependents to feed, clothe and house) often manifested through a rise in taxes, because that's how social security pensions and social care for the elderly are funded. Also, the more business revenues are paid out to shareholders (large pension funds, who pay them to the elderly) the less business revenues are availlable to pay wages. So there's competition for a slice of the pie there too.

Things you can do to alleviate the economic strains caused by a high dependency ratio:

Raise the retirement age, so as to keep workers on the "economically active" side of the calculation for longer: UK has been doing this, but it's politically costly, plus the effects take decades to kick in.

Encourage people to have more kiddies: hard to do, since people's decisions about family size are very personal, and are hard for the government to influence. Plus, it's again very slow-burning; in fact it makes the problem greater for 20-25 years before any benefit is felt.

Increase the workforce by facilitating immigration. This, in fact, is what largely accounts for the improvement in the dependency ratio from 1995 to 2007 seen in the chart above. Unlike the other methods of addressing the problem immigration begins to improve the dependency ratio immediately. But of course immigrants will themselves have children, and some at least of them will remain in the UK when they retire, so in time they will add something to the other side of the calculation.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,308 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Presumably the other factor putting pressure on things is the raw numbers alone. In my lifetime since 1980, if I recall, 4 billion people were added to the global population. Unless that graph factors in that relative change?

By the by, good to see you back Peregrinus. Always found your insights and facts interesting, your contributions measured.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,958 ✭✭✭Christy42

The government can do a lot to influence the birth rate.

Any/all of secure housing, work/life balance and affordable childcare will increase the birth rate.

People were poorer overall in the 60s but those 3 points were there and so we had the boomer generation born.

Though the main is to not base an economy on constant growth, eventually a population will stop growing in size, computers will stop doubling in power every 18 months etc. and the only way to get growth is to screw workers/customers which leads to a reduction in the population which means more screwing of workers/customers is required. Though we seem to be far too invested to stop it now.

Yeah, I've had to cut contact with my North London relatives over this. I complained about the cost of housing and got told by their friends how lazy and feckless I am. One of them was desperate eating himself into a coronary and another had a working mouth and not much else. No wonder gen z and millennials are happy to set fire to the system, a phenomenon that will only exacerbate.

The Economist has a good piece this week about the disappearance of 50-65 year olds from the labour force.

https://archive.ph/vuFYa (Non-paywalled link).

Essentially, a lot of people are dropping out by retiring early or are struggling with after care for certain conditions such as heart attacks. There's already strain on the labour market as it is and this won't help either inflation or tax revenues. Importing people might help but that's not a goer politically.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 18,488 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Braverman is a Home Secretary that appears to be even worse than Patel. She's clearly pitching this stuff at the English far right and the numerous bigots / racists on social media. The language is quite shocking and inflammatory.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,580 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

I thought Brexit was supposed to have given the UK back control?

Why are the numbers continuing to increase despite all this extra control?

If they stop them coming over, they can't torture the asylum seekers and they lose a vital tool with which to rile up their base.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 15,580 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

Is that really it? They aren't actually interested in stopping it,only weaponising it?

To state it is an invasion the day after a domestic terrorism attack is certainly a way to ramp up the rhetoric

I don't see any difference between what Braverman is saying to the comments of Farage, the Daily Express, GB News etc.

Whatever one thinks of the refugee situation, Dover dinghies and how to handle it, for a senior Tory government minister to be openly using the language of the far right in Parliament is a bit shocking.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,850 ✭✭✭growleaves

I think Suella B probably does want to stop immigration but also wants people to forget that the Tories themselves have let in a million plus immigrants since Brexit passed.

My impression is that at senior level only individual Tories, if any-one, desires stopping/reducing immigration so it does depend on who is Home Secretary.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭Ahwell

With the Telegraph coming out with a headline like this...

"Zombie Suella looked like a dead minister walking this Hallowe'en"

...she's in deep trouble.

Didn't take long for the sheen of respectability a Sunak cabinet would bring, did it? The cynic in me is wondering if this monstrous dehumanising is part of a "look over there" narrative to get people talking about Braverman's racism as opposed to her incompetence in the role.

Of course but bear in mind that they've done the same with the BBC. They have no ideas, nothing to build a future generation of conservative voters and MPs with, just inane culture war topics of the day.

I don't like reductive reasoning but it's the only logical explanation. Patel wasn't exactly one of the open borders brigade either.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 21,336 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Hope Suella doesn't survive. Lot of Tory MPs seem happy with that idea and briefing against her. Seems she deliberately caused the difficulty at the immigration centre.

Interesting take from these guys. Seems the problems with the UK refugee system mostly lie with the zealots at the top of the Home Office. It's not so much the system that isn't working but the right wing policies and ideology of our Tory friends.

The Tories have been pursuing policies of demonization, victim-blaming and performative cruelty for years, and arrivals have only increased. The only thing the policies have succeeded in doing, it now appears, is generating a phenomenon of domestic terrorist suicide bombing in the UK. Considerations of morality, decency and basic self-respect aside, these policies clearly don't work. Not a lot of point in "taking back control" if you're not going to use that control in rational and effective ways.

Sunak comes to office with a reputation for a degree of technocratic competence. His rise to power has been so rapid that, in all honesty, there isn't a huge foundation for that reputation, but people are desperate for competent government and they really, really want to believe that he is competent.

This is an early test of that reputation. He can recognise when a policy is failing catastrophically and take action, starting with firing Braverman and appointing a Home Secretary who is not an actual sociopath to lead a change in course. Or he can pretend that everything is fine.

Post edited by Peregrinus on

Rumour has it that he appointed Braverman to appease the ERG and to keep them on board (seemingly her appointment was a key demand of theirs).

Some people have pointed out that the nasty culture at the Home Office started with Theresa May. For a supposedly Christian woman, she had some very unsavoury opinions about immigrants.

That's a highly credible rumour. But I think Sunak is well-positioned to go back to the ERG and say "This isn't working. It's damaging the party and the government. I'm willing to listen to other suggestions you may want to make about who is to be appointed to government, but Braverman has to go."

I think the ERG would listen to that. They must see that they squander their political capital and undermine their own position by using their influence to secure the appointment of grotesquely unsuitable ministers.

I don't think the ERG listen to anyone on anything. They don't give a fk if Sunak sinks.

• Advertisement

They should. They can achieve nothing if the Tories are not in power, and if Sunak is ditched the pressure for an election (which the Tories will lose) will be irresistible. Plus, once the Tories lose an election, go into opposition and start taking a long hard look at themselves and wondering where it all went wrong, an awful lot of people are going to think that it all went wrong when the ERG became influential and drove the party down a disastrous route.

Advertisement