Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No quitten we're whelan on to chitchat 11

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,509 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

Thing is as well the actions by this green lord mayor is that it turns people completely off and they double down in their opposition. So before people may have had only a fleeting interest now they become full on fundamentals. We wonder how the US became so polar. It becomes polar when one side moves from center. The other side moves the other way.

Anyway it was a truely silly decision to take as a mayor. It's made division where there wasn't or worse if there already. Not exactly the Christmas spirit.

It's not the end of the world and it'll be held somewhere else (in protest, or spite, or in keeping with the original theme of the crib in Dublin) but it hasn't done the mayor herself any favours. Not that that matters either.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,729 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

Stupid stuff alright - I would have understood objections if it was a display of wild animals put in that situation, but domestic animals are bred to be along side us so I don't really see the issue in live displaying the likes of sheep,donkeys etc. just like you would see at your average livestock show etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 676 ✭✭✭farmertipp

what a joyless soulless existence she and her eco fascist comrades have.

still I suppose she and her type never lived

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,024 Mod ✭✭✭✭greysides

That would be a common enough event. Standard advice is to ignore Rumen fluke unless you've previously had a problem, or there's clinical signs after your normal winter dosing. The ones laying the eggs (adults) aren't the ones that cause the problems (immatures) so there's no direct match to the presence of eggs.

The aim of argument, or of discussion, should not be victory, but progress. Joseph Joubert

The ultimate purpose of debate is not to produce consensus. It's to promote critical thinking.

Adam Grant

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,142 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

Sad to see Lynsey Bennets death, As a nation we're too tolerant of poor performance and carelessness . At least she achieved getting her children looked after financially. RIP.

Her mother died about ten years ago, I knew her in the 1970s, lovely person too

• Registered Users Posts: 8,224 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

Would anyone put their cattle into the shed wet for the winter?

Not looking like a dry outlook here for a while and they are on flat ground which holds the water.

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭gk5000

It's all about control, and forcing their views.

They get great joy from eliminating the joy from your life.

If it wasn't animals/carbon it would be something else, but they have found a little hook here a small niche they can exploit and pretend they are saving the planet. Yes fascist/communist, anti-freedom and ultimately sad.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,500 ✭✭✭148multi

Can you house them on a phased bases, allowing housed stock access to all area. Say x number of stock housed every two days while maximising ventilation.

I often put them in wet, my shed is the old low slatted shed but I'd keep the big doors at both ends open until they'd dry,

• Advertisement

Its only 8 cows and their calves so it's all out nothing.

The shed has a good through draft so we may do that.

Have put them in damp before but the water is running off them like a hose was on them. Might just leave a bale out for them on hard standing until weather picks up for a few hours to get them reasonably dry.

All in thankfullly. Was a better day at the outfarm so they all got in dry.

what's sad is the fact that this crowd are getting a hearing. society is in decline when we have to hear them

• Registered Users Posts: 3,840 ✭✭✭Odelay

Any runners here completed the marathon today? If so, how was it?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭carrollsno1

Not this year however its a possibility next year definitly half marathon next year anyways. Standard distance triathlon and part of a relay for a half (was hoping for full) ironman next year in Youghal planned so far as well as a few sprint distances in between. Only joined the club last January and i started out 60 seconds jog: 60 seconds walk the first night with them and ive 2 duathalons and 4 triathalons under the belt this year and carrying in excess of 120kg too all along. Might inspire someone here to give it a go next year too.

Better living everyone

• Registered Users Posts: 18,567 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

love waking up by the sea

well done but probably not advisable to be doing much road running at 120kg, very severe on the knees.

Did you lose much weight since you started, I've walked thousands of kms since I retired and havent lost a kilo....... sickening

• Registered Users Posts: 18,567 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Two things I learned.

you can’t exercise away a bad diet, get your intake right first, then exercise.

walking for health needs to be walking at a pace where it’s hard to chat to who your with. Going for a doddle along isn’t enough. Also, counting daily steps isn’t sufficient, you need a continuous walk at pace for 20-30 minutes to make it work.

I had an uncle like that, doctor advised him to take up walking. When he went back to the doc he hadn't shed a pound. The doctor asked when he was walking, why was that important asked the uncle? Because I want you to go for a walk at breakfast time, lunch time, and dinner time...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,773 ✭✭✭Lime Tree Farm

People who are not over weight think thats the answer, If it was that easy, no on would be over weight, My OH and I eat the same amount yet she is underweight. I've had a couple operations on my stomach and the adhesions have reduced my appetite hugely so can't eat like I used to to put up the weight I have

I walk an hour every morning at 5km/hr .....Phone says here that I've used 1500 calories since I got up this morning.

Be interesting to hear back from Carrolls how much weight he lost on what must've been a very intense fitness campaign

I didnt find it too taxing training wise as thats the way the coach wants it to be so you wont get p#ssed off and call it a day. The main thing was to just keep turning up every day. I was doing a lot more gym work than cardio for the first 6 months and then uppeď the gym work and running around July however the cardio has dropped a bit again since September due to a number of reasons. As for weightloss its non existent however ive been told i look a lot trimmer, stronger, fitter and you would notice it in the clothes im wearing too a lot looser around the gut and tighter in the legs, arms and shoulders. I put up about 8kg since i started training bringing it to 128kg. The training plan for the gym work was getting me to aim for 2700 calories/day and get in excess of 200g of protein/day and even at those calories the trainer reckoned i would be in a deficit at that. But it wasnt enjoyable at all it became a job in itself trying to manage that and the last fortnight or so i have dropped to below 2000 calories/day as i couldnt see sense in continuing the previous method if weightloss was the end goal plus as im away from home for the second half of this year it meant most of my daily intake was Avonmores Protein Gold and All Real Nutrition protein bars which couldnt be great. The last fortnight since i dropped the intake i feel a hell of a lot better in myself lighter and more energetic and i hope to continue on this intake into the new year. The animal based diet seems to work best for me and ive had good results in the past with it so im hoping to get back into that when i get back home where i will have more control over whats available to eat.

Better living everyone

• Registered Users Posts: 10,777 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

I eat like a pig and never put on weight. Anything left over on the table, I eat it. Human food bin. Never put on weight.

I do have bad knees and lower back pain, so the lighter I am , the better. Genetics play a massive role in boby weight.

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

No overweight people on either side of the family here except my maternal grandfather was always blocky out even as a young fella who grew up in the 40s and 50s, his maternal grandfather was an absolute horse of a man too for a fella who would have been born not too long after the famine times in this country.

Better living everyone

• Registered Users Posts: 11,509 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

• Registered Users Posts: 3,294 ✭✭✭kollegeknight

some mare of a year here. The mother of the young cow that broke her leg is after falling down a ledge of a quarry. 8 foot drop behind a stack of knocked trees. Lucky the brother was around to find her. Some slogging to get her out. No budge out of her. Sitting up but not even looking at a bit of crunch or following her calf crying. She was fair stuck.

i was waiting on the oh to come home and had asked the sister to watch my gang so I could check the cattle but she kinda refused so I said I’d wait altogether. Give me a chance to mop a few floors.

hoping time will help her a bit.

definitely not getting a bull now.

keep a few dry cattle close to house and just top The mountain.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭alan10

Did it but didn't go to plan. Took off too fast and paid dearly after 24Km, had to walk bits at end. Legs cramped. Did 2019 in 3:20, was pushing for 3:10 ....ended at 3:38 🙄 ... could barley walk

Was supposed to put cattle in today ... safe to say they are outside tonight!

• Registered Users Posts: 29,522 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Fair play was going through Dublin Airport earlier and there was a good few with Dublin marathon half zips, all with big smiles on their faces

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,777 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

...... and the barman says - "Why the long face?"

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

Advertisement