Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Often becomes easy when the easy is often..

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭Kellygirl

Phew. Glad to hear that. Definitely take it easy for this week as even if feeling good the virus is prob still in your system. You’ll still do great!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

Yes yes yes!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,306 ✭✭✭ariana`

Great to read your update C. Hope the improvement continues over the coming days. You've had a super block and are in great shape. I'll be keeping everything crossed that you will be in the best of health toeing the line next week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,421 ✭✭✭Lazare

Thanks K. Yesterday I was considering seeing how I felt on Wed and attempting an easy few miles (zero issue with encountering other people), but I may just heed advice and stay off for a few more days. While things are looking good, I'm still not 100%

• Registered Users Posts: 7,778 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

Fingers crossed for you. Hopefully things stay going in the right direction from here.

I can totally see why you would want to but maybe go for a fast walk instead and see how you are?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,502 ✭✭✭Laineyfrecks

Really glad to read your positive update😊 Listen to your body right now, you have done all the hard work, getting to the start line healthy is the most important thing!

• Not sure what it is back home but only 5 days isolation over in the UK now. I've had it twice this year and was back running after 5 or 6 days.

Cheers, guidelines here are 7x days but tbh I'm not too concerned about that. I'll be staying away from people but I'll run if I can.

Did you feel you were right back where you left off afterwards? I know everyone is different.

I definitely had a fitness dent the first time I got it, a little less so the second time. While I'm not 100% this is definitely milder again.

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

• Advertisement

• Yeah I was ok, although I didn't try anything difficult the first week back. Sure ye will by next Sunday tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,491 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

I think you should think very carefully about this, C.

It's hard to switch focus, but maybe looking for an alternative marathon later in the year should be one of your options.

We are all different, but based on my own experience with a very mild-feeling dose (and I was hit in the middle of a period where I had been running very strongly, pretty close to peak shape), I took a full two weeks off and would not have performed well at any distance for a couple of months.

It's a tough call, but for me it's too close to D-day to be optimistic, sorry. But not too late to get something out of a great year's training.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 954 ✭✭✭Unknownability

So sorry to hear this, hoping you've continued to improve.

Have you been able to get out for a run since testing positive?

I was devastated for a few hours thinking my marathon was and was just waiting for symptoms to develop, thankfully they never did.

Thank you D. It's definitely not what I want to hear but something I do obviously need to consider.

I think after two or three runs I will have an idea of what decision needs to be made.

That run on Sunday was pretty much perfect. HR was where it was supposed to be. Maybe a couple of beats higher on the fast bit, but nothing more than general variance , plus we did it a touch faster than PMP.

I'm loath to throw in the towel without testing myself first.

I haven't ran since Sunday. Supposed to have been an easy 3.5 miles yesterday and 3x 1 mile session today.

I would have ran them had I not tested. Not sure how they'd have felt obv.

Symptoms were Sunday evening, most of yesterday and small minor bits today.

What you did gives me a lot of hope, but am listening also to what D says above.

Fook it anyway.

Well it’s prob no harm to test yourself in a few days for sure. However you may need to have it in mind that if the day isn’t going to plan that it might be wiser to pull out, dnf and not wreck yourself and do a different marathon in a few weeks time then. Hopefully it won’t come to that and I know it would be hugely disappointing but you’d have to remember that it would be the smart thing to do rather than trying to recover from Dublin under par and attempting another. Let’s hope you are just fine though and these are just precautions.

• Advertisement

Thanks K. Believe me, I've certainly been going through visualisations of DNF, of pulling up. I'll do it if it needs to be done.

The mad thing though is, it almost feels like some pressure is off. I've been anxious about the race, about performing because everything has been going so well. Touched on the other night.

Because if I couldn"t perform after doing everything I possibly could do to prepare for it I would feel like I failed it. Now, assuming I am healthy enough to run I can't possibly be hard on myself if things don't work out.

Ok, so I think I'm going to be grand.

From about 6pm yesterday I began feeling perfectly normal, mentally and physically. Decided if I felt like that today I would test myself with a gentle 5k.

Felt good today so I did that.

Went really well. Breathing, HR and effort were all good and normal.

I'll remain tentative for the next couple of days, take it easy. It looks good though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,427 ✭✭✭scotindublin

Brilliant news.....still take it easy though you are not going to get any fitter by pushing things now.

Rest/eat and hydrate well for the big day......I will be in Chapo supporting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

Just catching up here - hope it works out for you and there's no lingering effects - all systems go now.

• Advertisement

Thanks guys, a big relief. I've climbed up from the depths of despair 😀

Best of luck on Sunday, go out and smash it.

I will be in Chapelizod just after the bridge across the Liffey, planning on being about 100/200m up the road on the right hand side.

C

Thanks so much C.

Looking forward to getting the shoutout from you. 🙂

Excited now and feeling ready. Day off tomorrow so hitting the expo late morning to soak it up.

Will throw up a post with a few pre race thoughts.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭coogy

Very best of luck C! Would love to return the favour and be there to give you support but I'll be making my way across the Irish Sea on Sunday morning.

Hope your Plan A comes together! Do it!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,778 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

Best of luck on Sunday. I've enjoyed following your progress this year and during this block - seeing the strides you have made has given me hopes of following a similar path in the year(s) to come. Hope you smash it on Sunday

Thank you so much A.

Tbh, I've surprised myself with the progress I feel I've made. I really think it boils down to volume, and adding that extra day in p/w.

Really enjoyed the BW plan too, would highly recommend. I'll do a bit of a detailed review of it next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,601 ✭✭✭Wubble Wubble

All the best on Sunday C. I'm planning to be in Castleknock. Enjoy it all !

Best of luck Sunday.

Thanks very much lads. Can't wait for the shout J 😀

Have a great race yourself unknown

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,761 ✭✭✭ReeReeG

Best of luck! I hope to be in a few spots supporting a friend but will keep an eye out for you :) Hope the day goes to plan for you

So I'm sitting here, the Friday evening before DCM, the number's collected, the plan is in place, a few little bits still to organise.

A fully expected and previously experienced wave of nerves and stress and anxiety.

We put a lot of ourselves into this one morning don't we.

Taking inspiration from something @Murph_D said my main pace plan is to work off 5k splits, with a target average pace for each one. I've decided also to wear a mile split band for I suppose a little more zoomed in definition. Won't be a slave to them though.

If stars align for me I should go through halfway in 1:41:x with an aim of 1:38:x for the second half.

That's the hope anyway.

I was going to wear the HR monitor, mainly for analysis afterwards but I don't think I will now.

It unhitched itself for the first time ever the other day and I don't want the headache of that, although it's unlikely. It's more that I don't want the temptation to look at it and it affect me negatively.

Today I drove through Milltown and when I passed by the spot where I blew up in 2018 I stuck my finger up at it and said 'FU, not this time'

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 4,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭deconduo

Best of luck!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,502 ✭✭✭Laineyfrecks

Very best of luck C, you've got this😉

Thanks guys. Really can't wait now. Just want to hear that gun and get going 🙂

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,491 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Good luck, C. Good call on the heart strap. It would only be a distraction and you want to be as comfortable as possible. Be confident, you've done great work this year and you're in great shape! Go for it.

Agreed that it’s best to leave the HR Monitor at home. You’ll know how you are feeling without it. It really is the Christmas Eve feeling. I’m packed and my bags are at the door. Can’t wait to be on the train in the morning.

• Advertisement

Oh you're heading up in the morning? Brilliant, it really must feel like Christmas Eve so for you.

Have just read AMK's log, gutted.

Go get it C . Best of running.

Cheers P, you too. Looking forward to having a pint with you in McG

Although, I see you're heading up to cheer on and driving home that evening, fair play. Looking forward to meeting ya in person.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,545 ✭✭✭tunguska

Well done buddy. I was down by bushy park looking out for you but must've missed you. Paddy said he saw you go by and you looked strong. Seems like you had a pretty much perfect run.

Great effort C and always good to get a high 5 aswell @Laineyfrecks barely got one, you had done more prep on the rendezvous point 🤣🤣

• Advertisement

Ah **** Eoin, I wish I knew you were out there. Was strong at that stage. The elves started loosening the nuts not long after 😃

Delighted with what I did regardless.

I'll stick a race report up soon..

You can't trust that Lainey wan for a high 5 Craig. The coach didn't even want her posing for pics with me

Ooh very la de dah......is that role of mentor gone to he head 🤣🤣

She completely blanked me

Poor form I thought better of her 🤣🤣 and yes she will probably kill me soon 🤣🤣

• Advertisement
Advertisement