Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Interdepartmental HEO

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4 samcon198819881988

I had my interview on Monday and found it the same, very tough. Board kept interrupting me and When I was answering the question after 2 sentences they were asking another question straight away. Felt I didn’t really have time to answer the questions fully. Are results due the 11th? I won’t be holding my breath for a pass 😂

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 680 ✭✭✭redmgar

I posted this previously but Ill post it again for any new people called for interview. I have a recommendation for interview prep if you want to PM me.

@samcon198819881988

I'm nervous about the presentation. Trying to get my head around giving them a proposal. How did you find it?

• Registered Users Posts: 23 stephaniec

Jesus the thoughts of doing this presentation do they let you present it and then fire the questions at you ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31 Merrymac

Yes they let you do your presentation first for 10 minutes and then fire the questions at you for the next ten minutes. You may be asked if you could share your slides on screen but I don't think it's compulsory. Then on to the interview for forty minutes. At mine the board explained the process at the start.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30 liverbird1

Hi all, few things from my interview. They did ask me to share the PowerPoint slides while I was doing my presentation. I didn't put as much effort into my slides as I did in the report which was probably a mistake. I wonder would I have been better off not sending any in?? Other than that it was ok but long and draining. I find it hard to stay on point with the competencies and drift into normal conversational tone too often. Anyway I did put a bit of effort into this in comparison to other comps. I'm happy with that at least. The board were generally speaking fairly pleasant. Good luck to everyone else.🙏

Post edited by liverbird1 on

• Registered Users Posts: 48 GinaMc2021

Hi all, I had interview today, I found it tough enough as the panel constantly cut accross me when answering and I feel like I didnt say anything in detail. Presentation went fine, I didnt do slides but they said applicants weren't actually marked on slides so it didnt matter. I was just wondering does anyone know when results from this batch are out, I forgot to ask as I was so frazzled after the interview. Thanks

What region you in ? I presume it'll be 2 weeks from now. I don't know how many they took for each region. If the numbers were small then maybe a shorter wait for results?

Hi thanks for that, I am for Dublin and Kildare I was 70s for Dun and 20s for Kildare. Hopefully won't be too long of a wait!

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭Busle

Has anyone failed the interview?

Post edited by Busle on

• Advertisement

I am in Kerry, Cork regions. I have no idea how many they shortlisted from those regions. I would say 2 weeks ?? Anyway good luck. I was elated when finished until I started thinking of all the stuff I should have said. I feel I didn't hit enough if the points on the competencies but it is hard to remember what I actually did say. A bit head wrecking really!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭Csk2019

Well done on completing your interview, do you mind me asking was it for Cork or Kerry the interview was?

I wish I could do the interview again. Anyone feel the same. I think I put too much focus on the presentation. 😒

Cork 1 Kerry 2. I agree with you Busie. I definitely feel the same. Ive spent the last 2 days thinking of all the stuff I knew re competencies but didn't say. I feel I will go down on the leadership competency if they only judge on what I said at interview. It is so frustrating 🤯

Thank you liverbird1. So frustrating! I think the presentation is so draining and the report before that. Aaargh

Thanks for this. I'm for both locations as well. Didn't realised they had called for Cork.

Thanks for this. I am for both locations as well, but cork would be my preference. Do you know if it was just for kerry you were called?

• Registered Users Posts: 2 lulabell

Hi, I got help from a guy called Mark. He did several sessions with interview technique and presentation. Good value too. I can PM his number. I finally got on the panel !!

• Registered Users Posts: 4 samcon198819881988

yeah the presentation and interview in one sitting was very draining. With each competency they asked multiple questions and I wasn’t sure to just answer the question or provid the star method to all questions they asked. Very hard to know, but I think I’ll fail on the leadership

I'm not sure, it didn't say, however I was oom 3 Cork and 5Kerry after shortlisting. I have no idea how many they interviewed.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭dwasol

I came in today to prepare for the presentation, I honestly don't know where to start. This comment bothers me as I am not familiar with powerpoint & don't want to waste time learning IT before Friday.

This is where face to face interviews would help.

Any advice re the presentation/report would be gratefully accepted.

They did ask me to share the PowerPoint slides while I was doing my presentation. I didn't put as much effort into my slides as I did in the report which was probably a mistake.

Hi, you dont have to do PowerPoint slides, you are not marked on them if you do them anyway, I didnt do them. When is your interview?

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭dwasol

@dw2016 @dwasol

My interview is in couple of weeks and I'm not doing slides. My opinion is they may ask you to present if you complete slides. It's not essential and it's just another thing that could distract you or stress you out on the day.

I plan on presenting my report and take it from there. As previously advised concentrate on the interview questions too.

I'll be away on hols when I will have to submit my report, so fun times

Best of luck at Interview

@dw2016 tagged you by accident. Apologies

This IMO is the correct approach to take. I made the mistake of submitting poorly prepared slides, which I then was asked to present on. My advice is also to concentrate on the competencies and don't let the presentation take over as I feel I did.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 stephaniec

Presentation went well and managed to answer the questions they fired at me. Alot of out of the box stuff but luckily enough I had researched the area they were asking about. Went over the hour mark I was so drained after it. They were nice but tough best of luck to everyone fingers crossed we won't be waiting too long for the results

@stephaniec

What sort of out of the box stuff??

Hi, I was just wondering for anyone who has their interview this week what batch are they in? I was batch 2 and interviewed last week. Thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭Kerry987

I had my interview and presentation last week. I did slides and personally I found them useful to guide my presentation compared to a long report and the slides were very quick to do. I kept it simple and used short bullet points for the presentation slides and I used flash cards on the day also. Like other people have said on the thread, the 7 days before are taken up with the report which I found to be very difficult and time consuming. If you get an interview date or high up on the panel start preparing for the interview straight away because you have so little time to work on the interview side with the work you have to put into the report. Best of luck to everyone with interviews coming up

Advertisement