Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Best Electricity Plan for new EV Owners

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭LeeroyJ.

My current Electric Ireland contract runs out on the 24th December, at what stage can I get switching in motion?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,115 ✭✭✭✭KCross

You can switch at any time but if you do it before your contract end date you will pay an early termination fee ( usually €50)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭John arse

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Manion

Not saying this applies to everyone but I broke a contract with Board Gais and never got charged the breakage fee.

Got my first Energia bill with the EV plan on a day/night meter. It is fixed rate! 🍾

The bill was from 13 Sep- 28 Oct, so it does include alot of the Oct period where their recent price hikes occurred (now 47.77/13.75) and the entire bill is at the agreed price back on 28 Aug (31% discount = 27.43/7.90 inc vat and 30.41/14.82c inc vat for any units over the allowance).

Happy days!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,498 ✭✭✭eagerv

• Registered Users Posts: 6,239 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

Posted previously about an estimated Electric Ireland bill of €250ish, got a credit of €165, they say if you pay bills by direct debit it will just come back so hopefully no need to do anything.

Got another bill with the standing charges for the two weeks up to the closing of the account. No sign of a gas bill just yet.

The sage isn't done yet, I can't register with Energia haha. Verified my email and waited for my account number. Went to create an account and it's saying my email is already registered and I can't reset my password or anything so I'll give them a buzz in the morning. Almost there...

• Registered Users Posts: 28,007 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

• Registered Users Posts: 8,993 ✭✭✭CoBo55

Anyway, does anyone know of any deals out there now that the energia one is no longer fixed. It isn't easy to see plans from any of the providers unless you input your mprn which in my case they only show me smart meter plans.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭Comer1

I'm currently with Energia on the EV fixed rate plan @ 27.43c day and 7.9c night until next September. I predict my electricity cost for this year will be €2,800 which is very good IMO. I just checked bonkers.ie to see what my bills would amount to if I had to change today and the best rate is with Electric Ireland at a predicted cost of €5,044😦 Even though I doubt it, I really hope things improve a bit before next September🙄

• Moderators Posts: 12,371 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

Yeah, I did something similar last week. Was shocked! My night rate is 11c, day is 24. Think I'm in on that until next April/May, but it seems I might be doubling those rates from then on 😭

On the plus side, solar couldn't have been installed soon enough. Still, night rate being about 20c/kWh is going to be painful with the car during the winter

• Registered Users Posts: 21,895 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Yes I'm hoping it comes down soon. My fixed price (28c day 7c night) ends in 9-10 months. Doesnt seem to be a great suite of options out there.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,023 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

Looking down the same barrel too, and I don't see it changing in the next year.

Gas price was high even before the Russia invasion kicked off.. just be glad you don't have to buy fertilizer!

Another 20kwh just landed today though. Summer, car included will be practically off grid

• Registered Users Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭fafy

I left Electric Ireland mid contract for both gas and electricity, on September 5th and was charged €50 each, easily worth it, with Energia fixed rates etc. Termination charges appear to vary, depending on supplier.

Electric ireland seem to be applying it,bord gais don't?(i switched from bord gais recently-no €50 charge).

Handy tool on the energia app is estimate usage-you can can work back from your last bill and know exactly how much you're paying per day and what tariff you're on.

Checking the energia site the equivalent tariff to mine now, is no longer fixed and almost doubles the day rate to over 45c and also the night rate is doubled to 15c. As it stands I'd be happy with that and would fix for 12 months. All our use is night rate anyway.

Still, the smart meters are too expensive. Day rates nearly reach 60c and the cheap night rate is only for 4 hours, not enough to fully charge the EV andtop up the batteries in the winter

Very depressing tbh... I'm dreading January when my contract with BG finishes, maybe there'll be something better available then( I doubt it)

• Registered Users Posts: 745 ✭✭✭Dayor Knight

I'm switching (from SSE) to Electric Ireland to take up the free Weekend day offer. We need about one decent charge a week on our ID.3 so charging every Saturday will get us mostly free motoring. The rate rest of the week is high, but it works for us. You will have to your own calcs of course, but this may worth looking at, for anyone teasing out the options. We're coming from standard meter rates, and with a recently installed (unwanted, installed by networks technician when I wasn't looking!) smart meter.

• Advertisement

So they fitted a smart meter without you authorising it,that can't be right???

• Registered Users Posts: 745 ✭✭✭Dayor Knight

Yes, it happened like this.....I was getting my charge point installed and had to get ESB Networks out to upgrade the 'tails' on the fuse box. Networks guy arrived while the charge installers were working, went in and apparently said "ah feck it, I'll put in a smart meter while I'm here". I was working in another room and knew nothing about it. I had previously declined one for the reasons often mentioned here (had been planning to get day/night). I had to decide then whether it was worth making a complaint, looking for my old meter back etc.... decided to let it sit for a while and now have gone with the Weekender plan which looks good for my EV usage.

A bit of sharp practice by the Networks guy, though. I'd say they're on a commission to get those things installed. On the other had, once they were upgrading the tails, would I have had the right to refuse the new meter? I don't know. It didn't seem worth the hassle to to try to reverse it and I suppose it's going to be the future whether we like it or not.

C'est la vie anyway. I do like the idea of charging the car up once a week for free, along with some other free usage on Saturdays to offset the higher rates during the week.

Mind you I may still make a complaint about the guy switching out my meter without bothering to talk to me......

WOW,and after you opted out too!-sssssneaky🐍🐍🐍.

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭LeeroyJ.

What plan is that? My Electric Ireland Dual Fuel 26% discount is expiring next month and it seems there is no value whatsoever to be found any more.

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭mc2022B2TF

Those "free time" Saturday deals don't work for me as i need 3 full charges a week on average and i need my car pretty much at 100% every morning.

Even if i did less KM's a week i don't like the idea having to be chained to the house on a Saturday to charge my car and do all the washing and drying. What a waste of a day.

I know a family on that plan and they were like "it's great, we get to do all our washing and cleaning on Saturday for free" - i was like "wow you get to stay at home all day on a Saturday to save a tenner, well done you".

• Registered Users Posts: 6,239 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

What are the rates like for those plans with free Saturday electricity? Assuming they just make up the 'free' electricity with reaming you for the remaining 6 days.

One thing I like about Energia's 7.9c rate is that the day rate isn't bad. It's a pretty much the same as what I was paying on 24hr with Electric Ireland so day to day costs will be the same. Plus my standing charge is less than what it was, €240 Vs €270 so if that does go up it's not a big deal especially as Electric Ireland is €360 now.

They ream you with no vaseline

Day units (8am to 11pm)

50.94 43.30 cent per kWh

Peak units (5pm to 7pm)

62.23 52.89 cent per kWh

Night units (11pm to 8am)

37.43 31.82 cent per kWh

Bord Gáis Energy: Gas & Electricity Supplier Ireland (bordgaisenergy.ie)

Yea yea but nobody can get that plan anymore...

The rates now are still better than all the smart plans.

Energia Smart EV rate:

52c day, 57c peak, 28c night (2300-0200 & 0600-0800), 12.6c EV (0200-0600)

Energia Day/Night meter rate:

47c day, 13.7c night (2300-0800)

As you can see, the Day Night rate is cheaper.

• Advertisement

Only bloody BG refuse point blank to request a DN meter for me. I certainly won't be getting a sm plan.

Advertisement