Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Munster Team Talk Thread - Snymans are(n't) Forever

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭Number 137

If this is in reference to my posts, there was no trolling intended. I probably came across too strongly on the discussion of the Ryan incident, so my apologies to Phog on that front. I have no issue with criticising referees when they get decisions blatantly wrong. Which they do. However, I do believe a lot of referees at all levels get a hard time from people who maybe are not fully aware of law application and interpretation when making correct decisions. I've seen it at pro level and domestic level. But I accept my vehemence was over the top and self defeating in this instance.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,086 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

Here's some news that might cheer people up (apologies if already mentioned, I had a quick flick through the last few pages and saw nothing)

All of the autumn internationals involving Irish teams, including Munster V South Africa will be broadcast by Virgin Media on a free to air basis

• Registered Users Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭sprucemoose

exactly, hes been used as a carrier way too much when he should be allowed to play as a second 10. when he gets to play his game hes top class

• Registered Users Posts: 17,152 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

Anyone else needing cheering up:

A team with players like Ahern, Crowley, Edogbo and Kendellen coming through.

With Prendergast on the coaching team.

And a no-nonsense rugby man like Rowntree in charge.

Will be just fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,095 ✭✭✭Brief_Lives

will be just fine....

i'm gonna need Leamy to kick more ass, before i believe that...

• Advertisement

Him too.

Most important thing now is for the players to get more comfortable with the new systems, at which point the errors will reduce, and the results will follow.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,409 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

I don't think we'll win this year, but a write off? We haven't played our first European game yet, and if we can get into the top 8 we'll be in the knockouts for the URC

By this point last year, the SA teams were roughly where we are now on the table, but the league final was 2 SA teams

Long live 640 * 480 resolution

Nice that it's free to air, but I'd like to actually see what's happening in the game

Munster have a huge amount to be optimistic about

We're stacked with promising young next gen players. If we can stay within touching distance of European qualification, we'll have an extremely exciting season while watching the next generation of Munster legends revealing themselves before our eyes.

Largely based on vibes for the time being, but with a year under the current regime's belt, I'll be very bullish on Munster's prospects to really close the gap with Leinster, especially given likely departures from the latter next season.

Post edited by Neil3030 on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,930 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

Sorry to be pessimistic but Munster have been "just fine" for years.

They either need a large number of young guys to become European level asap, or they need a couple of absolutely transformational players to build a team around to be in a position to win trophies again.

Genuinely confused by this.

The new coaching setup?

The different system the team is now playing?

The players I listed shining so far this season?

None of that indicates positive change to you, relative to previous years?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

Sometimes fans talk about golden generations. Munster have a missing generation in the pack

Seriously there's two forwards in the squad between 25 and 32 years old that's Munster produced (Loughman, Synman, Beirne and Kleyn are imports). The two are JOD and Niall Scannell.

Now there's a potentially very good group coming through but they will take time. It will take time to bed in that potential.

Now there's a potentially very good group coming through but they will take time. It will take time to bed in that potential.

Exactly. There's been such a gap between the emergence of the guys who are now 33/34 and the present day that there's too much of a gap to fill in the near term, unless a couple of the new guys turn out to be absolutely world class. More likely it'll be a gradual improvement but that requires a constant stream of new blood of the required quality.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,593 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

You wouldn't prefer to be top of the league with 7 wins from 7? Interesting..

I'm surprised at the positivity some our showing. Munster are highly unlikely to be in the Champions Cup next year, that's extremely bad for business.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,370 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

Neil, you're one of the most level headed and thoughtful/knowledgable posters on this forum and I enjoy pretty much everything you post as regards rugby.

This one is a little odd though.

I'm apprehensive as regards the talent coming through the Munster ranks (as in I'm wary of it giving us - Leinster - a kick up the arse sooner rather than later) but to attribute Leinster's future success to those two things is a little narrow-focused.

(Hold on, most level headed and thoughtful/knowledgable posters, **** Dave, what if he's right? Balls, we're fucked)

My opinion on this could absolutely all change in a heartbeat, Dave (thanks for the kind words, btw). Leinster find a decent replacement for Lancaster, and either sign or otherwise source the right out-half to take over from Sexton, and the dominance will likely continue. But you have to admit that both men (likely) leaving at the same time will have a seismic impact on Leinster. And we just don't know at this point how close to the 15/16 Pro12 final do Leinster regress without Lancaster, and/or how much better than last season's semi-final loss to Bulls can they be without Sexton.

In the meantime, Munster will have accrued a season under the Rowntree team, and will at the very least go into next season with continuity on their side. The exciting cohort of loose forwards (Ahern, Edogbo, Kendellen, Coombes) will be a year farther along their developmental trajectories, as will Casey and, most importantly Crowley. I'm high as a kite on Crowley, both his own play and the relationships I'm seeing develop between him and both Carbery and Haley.

It's all opinion/conjecture/person preference, but I'll always tilt toward the "moving on up" narrative. And Munster's is simply a state I'd rather be in right now.

Quotes on this new boards.ie are shite. Anyway.

Leinster find a decent replacement for Lancaster, and either sign or otherwise source the right out-half to take over from Sexton, and the dominance will likely continue. But you have to admit that both men (likely) leaving at the same time will have a seismic impact on Leinster.

For sure. Anyone thinking that level of loss in any team/franchise/club isn't going to have a serious effect is barmy. It'll be huge.

I also think it'd be mad to assume that the heads in Leinster haven't thought about this and have put some sort of plan (even if it's not sufficient) in place to try and deal with that - be it the standards that others set as regards new players coming through, or whatever - they'd be mad to otherwise. We (both as an Ireland and Leinster fan) can only hope they have to as much of a degree as they can.

In the meantime, Munster will have accrued a season under the Rowntree team, and will at the very least go into next season with continuity on their side

Aye, that's fair. But thus far, Rowntree doesn't have a great record. I'm hoping he can prove me wrong as a strong Munster is good for us all but I'm not convinced as of yet. 2/7 is a return even the most hopeful fan would have to work to get behind. He's got a good rep though, hopefully it works out.

I'm high as a kite on Crowley, both his own play and the relationships I'm seeing develop between him and both Carbery and Haley.

Heres's where I'm in total agreement. He's looking like the real deal and I'm hoping he can get the coaching, gametime and exposure that he needs to keep going with his development. Because he's looking sh*t hot right now.

Ah look, I get where you're coming from. I'd rather be optimistic about my team than not. There's green roots for sure, but it's going to take a lot of effort and time to get them where they need to be. Hope it works out (genuinely).

Anyway, this is the Munster thread so I won't keep banging on about the Leinster comparison and will leave it there.

I've reworded the original post to tone down the hyperbole a bit 👍️

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭ulsteru20s

I think thats reasonably plausible.

Crowley

Casey

Edogbo

Ahern

Quinn

Hodnett

Kendellan

————

Barron

Salanoa

Knox

Wycherly, Josh

Daly

Nash

Campbell

Frisch

Coombes

Loughman

Kleyn

Patterson

O Connell

Beirne

In my opinion that’s a pretty high level core. The first seven are under 23, and i would easily choose them over any other under 23 cohort in ireland. The rest are all plausibly part of a good core.

The next two summers are very important but I really do think they have the potential to be a really good team.

They also only have two NIQs right now i think, so they probably have room for two impact signings this summer, and then two the year after when snynam and fekitoa come off the books.

They need to do recruitment right but the bones are there, especially in their high end younger players.

They should cull cull cull this summer and next.

Post edited by ulsteru20s on

To be clear, I agree that Munster have some really good young guys.

My concerns are that

1) POM, Murray, Earls and Kilcoyne are on the wind down and there's a big question mark over Chris Farrell. That's a huge core of ability that's potentially leaving, so Munster need real quality just to stand still.

2) While a lot of the young guys look the part, the rate of attrition for exciting prospects converting into genuine European level players is always very high, that's true across the provinces. Many of these guys will simply fade into squad cover as we see more of what they can do.

As for the coaches, I genuinely don't know if they're what we need, but it's very early days, think January will be a fair time to take stock given all the disruption of the last six weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭irelandrover

We've had huge amounts of injuries but the young players seem not only to be coping but actually shining. The first few games were awful but we can see the rugby we're playing is evolving at least.

Casey should start ahead of Murray, Carberry looks to be getting some form now and Crowley is definitely pushing for being the starting 10, Loughman is starting to show some of the promise on a more regular basis, Ahern and Edogbo look good talents in the row, and we have some very promisng back rows coming through. Clearly the front row is a problem and we are never going deep in Europe with the current front row. Kilcoyne seems to have lost a lot this season, our young hookers seem promising but they need to show it a lot more regularly. Our Lineout and mauls havent been great but thats hardly surprising with so much chopping and changing in the second row.

Centres are still a bit of an unknown for me, and when we get some of our injured back 3 back we'll be fine there.

I was ready to write off the season completely after the first 4 games, but in the last 3 games we've seen some progress. Its the hope that we have finally put the awful Van Graan years behind us that gives me optimism.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,580 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

I also think it'd be mad to assume that the heads in Leinster haven't thought about this and have put some sort of plan (even if it's not sufficient) in place to try and deal with that - be it the standards that others set as regards new players coming through, or whatever - they'd be mad to otherwise.

One point tho is that it's practically impossible to replace a generational player of the calibre of Sexton. We've seen as much with Ireland. All the planning in the world could still likely mean a regression.

But thus far, Rowntree doesn't have a great record. I'm hoping he can prove me wrong as a strong Munster is good for us all but I'm not convinced as of yet. 2/7 is a return even the most hopeful fan would have to work to get behind

It's too early to be judging him / drawing any conclusions on that record tho. The "proving you wrong" makes it sound like you've already come to a conclusion and don't expect him to turn it around from here?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,580 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

As for the coaches, I genuinely don't know if they're what we need

I think we've seen enough from Prendergast at Racing to suggest he's a great appointment. I think we're beginning to see some of his influence on the attack.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,534 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

This season so far has been a depth curve, a learning curve and a new system implemented. No doubt the results are disappointing. Rowntree is doing well with the hand he's been given.

Munster have a slew of lads ready for the ride off into the sunset. Kilcoyne is old and past his peak. The remainder of the season should be Loughman and Wycherly's audition. Barron and Buckley should get more minutes with Scannel being winded down and Salanoa/ Knox given the majority of the remaining starts.

The 2nd row is stacked and the back row too! Casey has earned the 9 shirt. Murray is well past it. Crowley, I hope continues to play well and takes the 10 shirt. Joey is just not quality.

The backline needs an influx of talent. Earls is declining, Zebo too and Scannell is just average. Campbell will be a good player in time and Haley is a very good player. Munster need a 12. I would try Shane Daly here. He's big and has pace and maybe he could do the job?

Overall, Rowntree is on the right track. There's top end potential in the squad. I think the best young core among the provinces is here at Munster. Time will tell and this season is not done .

• Registered Users Posts: 11,774 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

We're now 14th in table. With the games front loaded we've played nearly half the URC games in space of 7 weeks. Will be hard to get consistency with Champions Cup and November series coming up. At least the break might do us good but still have to play SA. Games which you'd usually think are guaranteed wins might be tricky. Just have to wipe the slate clean and go again.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,078 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

I think Munster need this to be the equivalent of Leinster back in 2015/16, started from a clean slate, blooded a load of young players, totally reset how the team played post-MOCaplypse, got absolutely tanked in Europe that season but got to the SF the following year and have been there-or-thereabouts ever since.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,086 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

Our SA games this year are played by the coast, not at altitude, and will have a much stronger squad than last year due to the timings so there might be hope of sneaking 2 wins in South Africa... Especially if we are to be getting better by then

The resolution has been better in recent years thanks to the advent of the HD channels

• Advertisement

I think there's huge reasons for Munster to be hopeful. Jack Crowley is the no.1 reason, and if he keeps living up to the potential he's showing then it's a massive development for both Munster and Ireland. I'd nearly stick €50 on it now that he'll be in Ireland's RWC in 12 months (if he stays injury free).

On top of that, all of Edogbo, Ahern, Kendellen, Coombes, Casey, Barron & Hodnett look really promising, and you'll have a better idea of what you've got with Salanoa or Knox by season's end.

They're noticeably trying to play a more expansive style, so it's natural to assume the error count will diminish over time. Their defence has been excellent this year; second fewest points conceded of any team, and if they improve their discipline a bit they'll really see the benefits of this.

Advertisement