Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Banshees Of Inisherin

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 86,080 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Farrell's expressions were excellent, himself and Keoghan were outstanding in their roles, it's worthy of the praise imho and hope the Oscars do take it in to consideration especially for McDonagh, Farrell and Keoghan

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,272 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Time of day can sometimes be your friend. If you can go during off peak it should be emptier than the evenings

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,397 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Went tonight. One eejit on her phone but quiet overall.

I loved it. One of the best films I've seen in a while. MacDonagh really encapsulated the isolation of island life. Some really nice Irish historical touches as well such as the postbox being painted green. The cast were all fantastic and the scenery was gorgeous as well.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

That little smile Farrell gave the dog at the end on the beach

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Tiredandcranky

Really enjoyed it. Humour is dark, but expected that.

I think there was a clear comparison between gleesons character and the people fighting the civil war on the mainland. Both were doing drastic things in order to try and achieve something with their lives.

Farrells speech re niceness in the pub (my mammy and daddy were nice, and I'll remember them) was pointing out the futility of it. In the end, the donkey probably had as much of a memorial as gleesons character was ever going to have (or mcdonagh or any of us).

The green postbox scene was making the same comment on the civil war combatants.

One of his better ones I think. Not one of his funnier ones, but they don't all have to be side splitting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,100 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Thought it was OK but not great. Premise seemed a bit silly to me but maybe the intricacies were lost on me.

What kind of an accent were they going for? Do people say "aye" outside of the north?

It looked great, it was nice to see that period of ireland recreated well.

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭AMTE_21

Saw this last night and found it very depressing. The scenery was lovely, the acting was great, especially Siobhan’s character, she was the only one with a bit of gumption in her! I thought it was a bit cliched if it had been made by anyone else, we would be up in arms about how we were portrayed.

• Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭Pdoghue

Interesting to read the comments here after seeing it last week myself.

The comments are reflective of the fact that some people go to the cinema to be entertained with a neat resolved conclusion, and other people who see cinema as art. That's not intended to come across as po-faced, but that is how it is generally.

I thought this film was fantastic on lots of levels. The themes; friendship, isolation, island life, snobbery, war, the humanity/inhumanity of man, animals, and then the cinematography and the acting were superb. A great work of art should move you in some way, be that a piece of music, a painting, a film, etc. This made me think a lot about those themes I mentioned above.

It was set in Ireland but could apply to any rural situation in any country of the world.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,072 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

the Hollywood version would have had the sister teach the brother how to play the violin , there would then be a big music competition on the island for no reason, the brother would win and the 2 would become friends again with a new sense of respect between them. Meanwhile the village idiot would have stumbled on a box of weapons from a wrecked ship, taken a gun and gone back to go dirty harry on his dad. The sister still leaves but says "maybe" to the village idiot and the film ends with her sailing off the island, The End

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,397 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Well said. Sad to see people complaining because they expect to see the same old tired tropes again and again and again.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,272 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

It's symptomatic of how cinema has changed: more and more the concept of "going to the cinema" is basically a shorthand for a stationery theme-park ride; with associated thrills, ups-and-downs and that sense of redundancy & superficiality. Like you, that's not meant as a knock or being po-faced, 'cos I'll go to bat for plenty of blockbusters - including the much-maligned (often by myself) Marvel franchise. But what it has meant is that going to be "challenged" by something with mature themes or execution has kinda fallen by the wayside. Even as recently as a 90s, box-office hits were adult thrillers - not always intellectual by any stretch, but still mature entertainment.

You also got that problem where something a little more art-house gets pushed into mainstream discourse as an Important Work of Art. It gets the kind of traction those kind of films almost never receive, for whatever reason. Often it's purely the fault of the marketing, badging the thing as something more crowd-pleasing than it truly is. Maybe it's a famous director; maybe a "star" actor headlines it; maybe there's a controversy surrounding it all. Maybe it's a really weird adaptation of a Batman villain people think will be an Incel Rally Cry. In any case: invariably it struggles to resonate with a viewing public expecting something else. Understandably so.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,709 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

I saw a trailer for this and it looked awful with those silly accents that sounded like the Field. Won't be wasting my time watching this.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,634 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

• Registered Users Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭cmac2009

Well, for the last couple of weeks I've been wondering whether tayto lover would go to see it, or would he just judge the whole film from the trailer. Glad he let us know as it's important to get some reviews based off the trailer alone.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,464 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Ridiculous opinion and logic.

The accents in both films were genuine. Nothing silly about them at all.

Some of the posts here about this movie are bizarre to say the least.

Banshee's is one of the best films I've seen this year and I was thinking about it for days after. Also give me a sort of sad/melancholic feeling which for me is a sure sign of a good movie experience as it has touched you in a way.

This is unlike most films that people flock to nowadays that you just forget about as soon as you finish your popcorn.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,601 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

I felt the same...was on the edge of being a great great film but fell short. I thought the humour detracted from the film's momentum, and some of the jokes were quite cheap. Jon Kenny didn't need to be in it at all - just a bit of patter with Pat Shortt really, and it's a flaw of many Irish films to try and find a role for one or two too many well-known Irish actors.

Likewise, I didn't realy see the point of the old woman (I forget her name) acting as a portent of doom or whatever...her appearances seemed fairly contrived and didn't really add anthing to the narrative.

In general I thought the acting excellent. I felt that Kerry Condon was superb, was disappointed her relationship with her brother wasn't explored more, or the impact of her leaving. Unlike some on here, I didn't think Farrell was all that good, until his character finally developed a bit of drive and purpose, then he was fine. Before that, he didn't play the aimless character all that well I thought.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,774 ✭✭✭billyhead

I thought the first half was good but than it went a bit weird with the fingers and dragged out.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,464 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

I found the old woman to be key to the whole thing and I took out of it that she was the Banshee and death.

She certainly added a lot to the narrative.

H. H. Asquith

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,919 Mod ✭✭✭✭HildaOgdenx

Going to see it next week. Colin Farrell and Brendan Gleeson were on the Graham Norton show recently and the clip piqued my interest.

Looking forward to it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 762 ✭✭✭starkid

actually the reality is the audience of today has far more understanding of visual grammar than in any time of history given the abundance of shows and streaming etc. its not necessarily a demand for action. its why a modern day terence malick film would leave most people cold (compared to his three classic films)

Some people do still go to be entertained of course.

There's a hell of a lot of reverse snobbery going on in modern cinema as well. this is a very good film. Very original, and very much all story driven. Very fine acting. Some lovely shots. I've heard some go over the top here as well though.

The Field covered some of this ground before, but wasn't well recieved in America due to its take on Ireland. would this film succeed without its humour? i have an issue with how Irish cinema is percieved. Could you make an Irish type revenant set in Ireland. you could, but like Black 47 (underfunded, overlooked) it wouldn't do that well. The Irish need to be good craic etc. It suits McDonagh etc, but give me the visuals and raw realism of lenny abrahamson any day.even his black humor is laced with better visuals than this. But he isn't internationally lauded by the cinema lovelys/darlings. again perhaps this is centred in the reality that McDonagh is percieved as partly English outside of this Island.

The film owes a hell of a lot to Irish tropes itself.

I really enjoyed it, did i love it? i don't think i did. and i love a good arthouse/art/thinking mans film.

The lake, the woman, the overall lingering sadness was great. I didn't find it dark at all. Ireland is full of darkness.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,982 ✭✭✭rogber

Saw this last night and found it very disappointing .

Take a bit of Synge, a bit of Beckett, a bit of Father Ted, a bit of Tarantino, humour with all the sophistication of Beavis and Butthead, an utterly feeble and contrived plot and characters you'd be flattering to call one dimensional, throw them together with some lush landscape shots, a bit of austere classical music during the "profound" bits, tone that like every McDonagh film lurches wildly from serious to farce, and a nice blend of paddywhackery mixed in with mystical Ireland and you get this mess.

Reminds me of the worst of McDonagh's theatre, like A Skull in Connemara. Two boring fellas arguing over nothing with absolutely nothing at stake, horribly stagey dialogue and utterly juvenile humour.

In Bruges and 3 Billboards were both better, and that's not saying much.

• Registered Users Posts: 86,080 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

She had predicted two deaths so yes I took it she was the Banshee

• Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭weadick

Finally someone who agrees with me! I also saw A Skull in Connemara and thought the same, very similar.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,709 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

It's my opinion, Believe it or not that's what Boards is about.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,486 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

I’ve talked about this with approx 10 ppl who’ve seen it

8 thought it was rubbish

1 said meh

1 liked it - sorry now but he is known as the village idiot of the group

make of that what you will

• Registered Users Posts: 15,486 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

The best comment from them was

”Mcdonagh is a cockney plastic paddy who hawks wetherspoons Beckett and expects plaudits for it”

wetherspoons Beckett!!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,382 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

If I was person number ten and being called ‘the village idiot’ in person and online for the grave offence of liking a film, I think I’d be more than entitled to follow Colm’s example.

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭cezanne

I liked it saw in Galway paid 30 quid for two tickets thankfully the film was great but 30 quid thats a lot.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭cmac2009

Advertisement