Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Preliminary Build Costs

Options
  • 30-10-2022 7:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭

Hi folks

In a bidding war on a site and I’m getting close to my budget. Just wanting to get ideas/ballpark costs for preliminary self build costs from site purchase up to approvals of planning permission. Thinking the following:

1) Stamp duty

2) Legal fees

3) Survey

4) Percolation/test pit - Don’t think I’ll need this as the site is in an urban built up area

5) Architect/design fees

6) Planning submission cost

5 and 6 are probably the two I don’t have too much familiarity with. Haven’t reached out to architects yet as I want the site procured first but any thoughts on ball park costs for an approx. 180m2 standard box design house? Any other items I’m missing aswell?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭mike_2009

Most Architects split their fees up into 4 stages, prelim layout, planning application & drawings, building drawings, Construction stage supervising etc. You'll be paying for stages 1 & 2 with regard to points 5 & 6. Regarding fees, if you get a full architect they usually charge a % of the total expect project cost - 11-13% in that range. An Architectural Technician might be persuaded to do a fixed price deal for the initial design and planning submission and be more affordable. If you have some thoughts to help / a rough design to start off all the better.

Normally I'd buy a site subject to planning permission so you're not left with a site you can't build on if that can be arrange with the seller? Assume there's no planning already so have you met with the local planners / read the county development plan and fancy your odds?!!

You will need public liability insurance on the land after purchasing before building / get a self build insurance package but they require work to be done on the site regularly or it lapses (cutting trees / clearing it etc all counts until construction proper starts), check T&Cs

I would request a copy of all the service maps for the site to determine any access / service issues - in my case nothing was where it said it was!

Best of luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭jiminho

Thanks for the response. The site is in a built up residential area which is zoned for housing so not worried about the ability to build a house in principal, more so what kind of house I can build. Have a general idea what I’d like to build and have created a hand sketch. What do you think the cost would be for stages 1 and 2 as you mentioned?

Depends on the Architect!! Mine was 5.5K for each stage with Assigned Certifier / Assigned Designer extras on the final stage so headed for 28K and that's 3 years ago now. Plus need BER assessor & air tightness testing x3 on top (1.5K?). Nearly 30K!!

Thanks again for the comment mike! Sounds like you built your own house. Would you know of anywhere that would have a template build cost breakdown in a spreadsheet format?

Any of the bank costing estimates forms is a good starting point but you're better off with your own as my view would be different to a builders and you can then map the costs over (I think tiles, they think 2nd fix etc). There is an online estimators service I got from the UK before - gave a very detailed breakdown of items, quantities and prices - might be too detailed though. And it wouldn't include professional fees etc. But maybe someone online here has one. Also try buildhub.org.uk for examples - another great resource.

• Advertisement

thanks again Mike. Last question and that’ll be it for now. How much did you budget/spend for preliminary costs up to approval of mortgage ie how much do I need after procurement of the site before I can tie wrap it all in to a mortgage? I’ll probably have just less than 20k after the site cost so I’m wondering if that’ll do solicitor, stamp duty, design fees to planning, etc.

You can get preliminary approval for a mortgage to test the waters if you go the standard route = your build budget, that way you don't have to submit build costings. Preliminary costs for me were:

Realign/New Driveway: €7.2k

Estate Agent: €2.4K

Solicitor: €756 (dealing with a boundary issue)

Surveyor: €650 + VAT (330 + 400 + VAT for subsequent folios I required in my case)

Architect: I paid €7K + VAT for the first 3 stages - the first two take you to planning, the third is for construction drawings. Final stage was 7K + 6.3K + VAT for PSDP/assigned certifier and BER certs. Depends who you employ. This was a fixed price at least.

Move Shed: €600

House Deep Clean: €250

New Shed on site: €2000

Skips/waste removal prep - as much as you like! €350 for a grab truck hire - 20T is good value here vs skips

Site Insurance - when you buy you'll need public liability, buy subject to planning if you can. Budget €2K for this.

Some of this is a little beyond planning but gives you an idea....

Advertisement