Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Marathon 2022

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭echancrure

The reason they don't offer a transfer system is that they make so much money from the people who don't turn out. See the very poor statistics at https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/athletics/2022/10/31/dublin-marathon-organisers-unveil-entry-details-for-2023-event/

I find the organisation at DCM tiring.

• If you're going to convince your wife to run it then why would you make her enter the lottery when you can buy a ticket without the hassle 😁

Yes there's a refund window but you don't get the full cost price back from them.

• That guy is a glutton for punishment, remember he ran the marathon a few years back with a spraint ankle or worse.

I wonder if his form breaking down is anything to do with the accident he had when he was younger, he had to learn to walk again etc. Didn't he?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,233 ✭✭✭Wottle

I won't be accepting my entry link tomorrow. I've decided I hate the route, maybe Amsterdam (€105) again or Frankfurt (€95).

• Never knew about this but am after getting 10 people to commit already. Husband and wife's are gonna do a half each. Think it's a great idea and one Dublin should look to implement https://www.manchestermarathon.co.uk/ways-to-participate/relays/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,417 ✭✭✭Lazare

She'd prefer to run it under her own name.

edit, sorry, meant to quote your previous post.

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

• Registered Users Posts: 3,356 ✭✭✭sk8board

Organising relays on marathon day is a great way to turn away marathon entries.

galway Bay and Belfast spring to mind.

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

• Registered Users Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

Manchester do it, but they do it right. The changeovers are done like a formula 1 pitlane. Runners leave by going through an inflatable arch and filter out, it's seamless

Belfast was a shambles in 2021

• Registered Users Posts: 16,031 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

I blew up myself with 10k to go, was aiming for 4 hour and finished 4:13. So many people I know blew up as well, why though, perfect weather, fairly flat, unreal support. Last few km were like a zombie apocalypse.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,582 ✭✭✭py

It was a little bit warmer than expected. There's a fair chance that people (1) didn't play it conservatively enough on the hills/drags in the first half, (2) didn't have the training done, (3) didn't fuel/hydrate correctly or (4) combination or all of the above.

• Advertisement

• Yeah. I'd trust the English to do it better as mentioned below. They love their rules.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,322 ✭✭✭cullenswood

Weather wasn't perfect though, was a lot milder than previous years.

I was definitely more dehydrated than normal and sweating much earlier due to the increased temperature.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 sledge144

so that might be the reason I got 2 finisher shirts handed to my, with the person telling me just take em, no worries.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,051 ✭✭✭✭event

Relays can piss off. Nothing more demoralizing that being at mile 22 and some fecker passes ye buy cos they are 2 miles in to their 10k. I won't do a marathon that has a relay in it

• Registered Users Posts: 16,051 ✭✭✭✭event

The crowds are the best thing about Dublin. But there were points yesterday where they needed to by physically moved back cos they had encroached so much on to the road.

Was a bit worrying at times

• Registered Users Posts: 4,060 ✭✭✭TaurenDruid

This! After I finished my volunteer stint I walked down to Ballsbridge with some others to support and cheer on friends, and couldn't believe how little room was being left for the runners - only about 1 and a half traffic lane widths at points, and runners having to move to avoid spectators! I got people to move back a couple of times but they kept on encroaching until a garda came along with a much more authoritative voice than mine!

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭FazyLucker

I don't think refund option is available for DCM yet.

It was a once off measure post covid if I remember correctly.

I get that they rely on drop outs etc but the current system is denying people who would run it a place to do so.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭ligerdub

Personally I don't think it was the temperature I think it was the temperature plus humidity. 93% by what I could see logged for the activity. I noticed early doors that I was sweating heavily very early on, the last time I recalled that was under similar but hotter conditions back in July.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Well done to everyone who ran. Certainly from looking at results seems like it was a tough day out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭boredatwork82

Did my first marathon yesterday. Not a big runner. Only had about 6 runs since a half IM in July. Struggled with injury. But felt good so gave it a bash.

Fantastic day out.

But some key issues:

Queue management for the toilets at the start was appalling.

Communication, direction, energy, atmosphere and info arounsld the bag drop and start area was non existent. Maybe ok for previous entrants but as a first timer I felt a bit lost.

Also really annoying having to pick up the pack in Dublin. With the cost of hotels it was a non option staying the Saturday night. So it was 2 trips up and down to Dublin.

But overall a great day out. Loved the band at castleknock. They were playing eye of the tiger when I passed. The crowd support was great throughout and all the people sitting outside their house playing music was brilliant.

On the race. Felt good till 19km. Calf went then. So called into a pharmacy and bought some painkillers. Kicked in after about 2k walking and was able to go running again.

Manage to keep going till about 35k, and from then the calf was completely dust so I power walked home. I knew hadn't trained enough so I managed my race well. Didn't push too hard and fueled really well. And felt good bar my calf whole way to the end. I think for the slower people the fueling has to be an issue, but thankfully my triathlon experience helped with this.

The lucosade sport was grand. Awful stuff but good for the events. The bottles were way too big so I grabbed two little water bottles and gave them to my support(girlfriend on a bike) and so she filled them up with lucosade and handed them to me along the course. Worked really well to stay fueled.

Overall a great day (long 😂) and I will sign up for next year. But not sure if I will do it or not.

• Advertisement

• That's where we differ then. I'd be delighted to see someone flying by me at any stage, relay or not. When I run it's me. Anything anybody else is doing has no affect whatsoever

• Also anybody know who this legend is at the 70s age category? 65 and 60s too

• Registered Users Posts: 1,209 ✭✭✭gaf1983

I think a 20% dropout/no-show rate is meant to be standard for big races.

Would be great if they brought in a transfer system for people who can't run it. I ran the Great North Run this year, and there you can transfer to another runner for a £10 admin fee, which seems a reasonable way to do it.

Overall was very happy with how Sunday went. Conditions were great, even felt a but too warm going up the Crumlin Road. Got a bit of a blister on my foot (newish runners) so had to take off my shoe and sock twice to adjust things. Stopped briefly at a few of the later water stations but got things going again to break my PB by just over a minute, getting 3:34:20. Had to work hard in the last 2 miles when I knew the PB was within sight.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,677 ✭✭✭Trampas

Did anyone who’s done a few Dublin marathon think the numbers out viewing were slightly down?

Felt some spots were quieter than previous years.

Even castleknock I’ve felt the noise was down a little and wasn’t as long.

Some stretches you’re really on other club runners supporting their club mates to generate some support.

The purple mile for what it was worth I thought it was about 50 yards with a big screen and a few people holding banners. Apart from that it was like any other year

It was v hot for sure.

I didn’t notice the crowds quiet anywhere in the 26m!

If anything I thought they were a long way away from the runners on the wider roads , so I especially liked the narrower funnel up and over the top of Heartbreak with crowds screaming, someone else mentioned the Tour de France mountain peaks, and it felt just like that - I laughed out loud and kicked on down Fosters.

any idea when the official runner/finisher pic’s will be up?

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭FinnC

Maybe because it’s still fresh in my memory and other Marathons I’ve done are long gone from memory but I do think I see more people cramping at Dublin than other Marathons I’ve done.

I myself have only ever cramped doing Dublin and haven’t done in other Marathons. Thankfully I didn’t cramp on Sunday.

Is it the series of drag inclines and severe enough downhills in the first half of the race that causes issues later on for people?

I’m sure just as many people cramp in other Marathons and but reading a lot of the reports here it seems it happened to a large amount of runners on Sunday.

Dehydration, rolling hills, hot day = cramps.

especially the downhills.

edit: my altimeter measured 259m of climbing - DCM is a bloody tough course.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,233 ✭✭✭Wottle

I agree, I ran Amsterdam two weeks ago and Dublin on Sunday.

Dublin by far had more people walking, hurting and cramping.

Very similar weather conditions apart from Dublin being a little more humid.

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭hugeglobe

First marathon completed (just about) on Sunday! Had been managing an extensor tendinopathy throughout late September/October which meant missing a good few midweek trainings but just about bettered itself by Thursday/Friday so decided to go for it as I'd come this far.

Went out with the 4:00hr pacers to start which is what I'd been training for leading up to it. I had finished the Phoenix half in 1:52 which gave me a decent level of confidence to finish around or shortly after then.

All was feeling good up until just after Castleknock where I felt fairly wiped. Heart rate was up at around 190bpm which was a bit of a shock as I'd been doing my easy runs between 5:45-6:00km. Hung on until just before half and decided to slowly drop back to the 4:10 pacers by jogging/walking. Tried getting back up to pace when they came by but my foot just completely gave in and wouldn't let me run on it. This repeated itself for the 4:20 and 4:30 pacers which was tough to accept. Hobbled/ran/walked all the way to 36km where I found some strength to slowly jog to the finish with the 4:50 pacer who gave me a great boost!

All in all an amazing day out - support really kept me going when it got tough. You get a real boost when people call your name out by looking at your race bib.

The marathon has absolutely humbled me and has given me a new level of respect for all of you seasoned runners! I can still barely walk 😂

Lots of lessons learned from training, to pacing, to decision making. In hindsight, I probably should have given it a miss with the injury but still happy to have completed it.

I'll rest up for a month now but feel I have some unfinished business with it. So can see myself signing up again to give it a proper go - wiser and battle-hardened.

Thanks to everyone on the thread for the great advice and conversation throughout also. Has been a great help.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 41 AlanPat

That's my 4th DCM, tough but great to see crowds back. I ran it for Diabetes Ireland, my son recently diagnosed this year with T1D. To Paul who I met at the start I hope you had a great day, knowing that you ran it for a great cause. To Nick (I think that's his name, I met him at 41kms stage so was mentally gone), you are an inspiration to me and my son. Genuinely uplifted by your actions and made me realise that this illness won't stop my son from doing anything. Hope you're on here and see this message. Look after yourself.

Advertisement