Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXXV-956,720 ROI (5,952 deaths) 452,946 NI (3,002 deaths) (08/01) Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭DLink

There's no legal requirement to quarantine or isolate yourself, get out and get on with it. Play the covid game with work of course, get a few days off for yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭Silentcorner

I still vividly remember Martin's response to a parlimentary question by Mattie McGrath on that very topic about a year in, Martin scolded him like he was a schoolboy "Will you get real" he said to McGrath...of course, the talentless Martin actually regressed during the pandemic, instead of growing with the situation, he regressed into his school principle mode, which is his level really.

We've been badly served by one of the most inexperienced/incompetent cabinets in the history of our state, it will cost us financially but more importantly through much greater loss of life in all demographics. Shame on them all.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,461 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

One of the most incompetent cabinets? Really you know them all and how they would have reacted?

Much greater loss of life?

This is a statement without foundation.

You accept their role in the vaccinations is their credit, and the vaccines are protecting Irish people against severe covid?

Hardly the actions of such an incompetent cabinet as you allege.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

Making a prediction that we will witness greater excess death is based on the fact that our hospital waiting lists are nearly at 1,000,000 at this stage, up from about 500,000 (which was bad enough as it was) is hardly a statement without foundation.

We select our Ministers based on geography and gender, we have Ministers in their early 30s, we have one Minster who had never spent a single day in Dail Eireann, she went straight into cabinet, another Minister disappeared for 6 months during the emergency.

So ya, you can hardly see rigorous debate around the Cabinet table given none of them would have the political capital to do so...which meant our unelected incompetent bureaucrats got away with imposing one of the most severe restrictions on any population in Europe on one of the youngest populations in Europe for a virus that disproportionately affects the aged.

Ah so its a prediction now. But you are using a figure for covid deaths and presuming it would be the same if we acted differently.

When werent our cabinets selected based on criteria such as geography, gender, loyalty to the particular party faction as much as ability. You have zero idea how a particular cabinet would have reacted. This government used anti TB legislation from the 1950s as its basis.

So you have no idea what discussion took place around the cabinet. Another statement without foundation.

I notice again how you dodge the vaccine question again when to answer it would give away your anti vax agenda.

• Advertisement

Ha ha haaa...anti vax agenda....will you stop!!! You are a joke!!!

You might believe in fairy tales like doubling the hospital waiting lists to nearly 1,000,000 people won't have impact on excess deaths over the next few years or that Irish Health Bureaucrats, some of THE most incompetent bureaucrats in Europe, were somehow controlling the spread of an airbourne virus for over two years, but too many of us don't!!!

Anti-Vax!!! Another shameless attempt to discredit an opinion you don't like...pathetic!!!

The policy to control covid through restrictions was adopted by multiple countries. Are the bureaucrats of Germany and France incompetent too? They must have thought they were controlling the spread. So perhaps you can inform us what they were doing if that wasnt the intention of their measures.

So your argument hasnt got a leg to stand on.

Do you accept that the vaccines provide significant protection against severe covid as per the published studies notes on the thread?

You seem to keep dodging the question for some reason. The most reasonable conclusion is that yes you are an anti vaxxer.

It is obvious you have opinions contrary to all the major medical authorities in the world on Covid.

Both on restrictions and vaccines.

You were asked if you accepted the evidence for vaccines for providing protection against severe covid. You dodged the question again by saying "People who think they need one" which makes it sound like a placebo not a valid medical vaccine. That is not the same thing as accepting the overwhelming scientific consensus on the effectiveness of the vaccines.

So, no obsession and I won't rise to the bait of your insult. Just I can see through your statements and recognise deflections when I see them.

The point of the question is that if you don't accept that the vaccines are important in combating covid, it informs your attacks on the Irish response. Yet seemingly the worst civil servants in Europe were able to manage this rollout as well as if not better than our peers. Something which you give zero credit to.

Similarly on restrictions, you attack the Irish response, and yet all the major health authorities in the world attempted to control the spread of the virus through restrictions. The specifics of your claim that not one had an effect has already been challenged and discredited on this thread. But the main point is that your opinion in therefore contrary to all those authorities, not just the Irish response, so portraying it as some solo policy of incompetent Irish civil servants is entirely without foundation as you did in previous posts.

If you don't think that lockdowns or restrictions have any role in controlling covid, or vaccines either - of course you would think the Irish response was incompetent.

But that is contrary to overwhelming scientific consensus and evidence.

Man...you are obsessed with vaccine's, it's like you need me to be anti vax...which I am not, I don't think it's anyone's business what anyone's view on vaccines are, it's a private decision people should be allowed to make!!

The health bureaucrats have no credit to get for the vaccine rollout...the Irish people lined up for them...all they had to do was organise the ques, even our incompetent lot could handle that, I do believe the severity of our lockdown had a lot to do with the enthusiasm for vaccines here!! Most normal countries didn't impose severe restrictions on their citizens.

We were always going to do better than most nations given our young population and the nature of the virus, won't be so lucky with cancers, heart diseases though!! Still folks like you can take pride in doing what you were told to do!!

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,136 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Silentcorner threadbanned

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Seems this thread has mostly become about looking back and apportioning blame for perceived issues then today.

It's time to start looking forward again folks and not look back, grasp the future with hope and determination. Looking back only depresses people unless you are enjoying good memories.

• Registered Users Posts: 989 ✭✭✭Stormyteacup

‘Perceived issues’? Nothing perceived about them, they are abundantly evident and real. As to apportioning blame and looking back - I personally don’t find it depressing and it doesn’t preclude viewing the future with hope.

It may mean we don’t find ourselves at the mercy of tunnel vision, knee-jerk policy making in the future. Maybe some checks and balances applied in advance.

Yeah, we all learned lessons as we do from every experience in our lives. Apportioning blame is a sad act though because that doesn't matter now. We all know everything that happened, we know there's people and organisations we are better not to trust moving forward. We don't need to keep harping on about it though. o

Looking back and looking for any way to keep harping on about things is depressing whether you realise it or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,546 ✭✭✭political analyst

Why did so many non-elderly people who had Covid in this country need to undergo hospital treatment for it? Is it because of the effects of the widespread consumption of alcohol and fast food?

• Registered Users Posts: 38,315 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Which the consumption of fast food encouraged by our then leader in the grounds of vitamin intake

• Registered Users Posts: 4,546 ✭✭✭political analyst

What is the point of that claim?

There is no connection between vitamin intake and the consumption of takeaway food, e.g. Supermacs.

Two huge problems in this country unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,767 ✭✭✭hynesie08

There's no mention of fast food or vitamins in that article. Can you back up your claim?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,767 ✭✭✭hynesie08

I did, the 7 comments make no mention of fast food consumption being encouraged, so what's your point?

• Advertisement

Probably just tested positive while in for something else.

Hospital figures became a useless stat when they started to admit that over 50% weren't actually in there due to COVID.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭Don't Chute!

And this post ladies and gentlemen is exactly why we were locked down and restricted for so long. “Don’t question anything or anyone, we are right you are wrong. No responsibility or accountability for anything, just shut up and do what you are told”.

As I said on the other thread, there has got to be a reckoning over what they did to us as a nation, otherwise they'll just rinse and repeat.

They need to know there are repercussions when messing with the lives of an entire nation, make them think twice.

Look at Mehole FFS, he's just after admitting that there's going to be an increase in cancer deaths due to missed diagnoses because of the covid lockdown.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,651 ✭✭✭walus

The last two an a half years are an example of what it will prove to be catastrophic misapplication of ‘precautionary principle’. By taking actions and assuming the worst about the virus of a largely unknown characteristic initially on one end, the authorities failed to consider the negative consequences on the other. They were utterly blind to the harms of lockdown and related restrictions.

”Where’s the revolution? Come on, people you’re letting me down!”

• Registered Users Posts: 4,573 ✭✭✭jackboy

The main issue was the refusal to change tack as the pandemic went on. Fair enough for the first few months when there were lots of unknowns, throw the kitchen sink at it. However, completely going against the science a year later and just repeating the same old restrictions was unforgivable.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,651 ✭✭✭walus

It is because the regular, open scientific discourse was suppressed. The dissenting scientist who questioned the narrative were quickly labelled ‘granny killers’ or worse and their ideas were ridiculed. I don’t remember anybody getting an equal chance to challenge predictions of Ferguson, McConkey or NPHET modelling for that matter.

All the information that the politicians had available on hand was only confirming the initial course of action. In a way they were duped into thinking that they were following the science. What they did not know is that science was not mature or complete enough.

”Where’s the revolution? Come on, people you’re letting me down!”

You sound depressed about the past. Exactly my point.

Can we do math on how many lives were saved Vs how many will be lost?

I don't really care for doing any maths, maths and statistics are being used by lockdown supporters and apologists to justify something that didn't need to happen... maths are being used justify the lockdown and restrictions and it's just a death spiral of pointless conversations trying to argue otherwise.

The bottom line is that my personal freedoms & normal everyday activities, along with those of the nation, were repressed or taken away, for very little benefit, but at massive cost mentally, financially, and as recently admitted by the person personally responsible for the lockdowns, health wise.

As far as I'm concerned, someone needs to go to prison, or at the very least lose their pension for needlessly doing that to me and the rest of us.

• Advertisement

It was a fairly bizarre few years and still is and I think we do need a proper analysis and debriefing, without the conspiracy theorists. There are lessons to be learned and there are also ongoing issues that need to be addressed.

I can understand the extent of the early lockdowns and panic. There was a massive problem and there had been really horrible impacts in various comparable counties.

However, as it rolled on there weren’t really adjustments being made and a lot of science seemed to be (and still is being) ignored.

For example, we got bogged down on lockdowns, hand washing, surface cleaning and Perspex screens, long after it had been proven to be primarily airborne. We should have been pumping resources into improving building air quality with better heat recovery ventilation etc and using large scale rolling off HEPA filtration. It would have made schools, colleges, offices, gyms, food/drink venues a whole lot safer and easier to open quickly. A bit of capital expenditure could have saved a lot of hassle and huge current expenditure and economic disruption.

I’m still seeing utterly stupid situations like when I went to a GP in Dublin with my very elderly, immune compromised relative, with an appointment, the waiting room was packed to the gills, all the windows and doors closed, no air filters … and this is supposedly a medical professional with scientific knowledge. You’d have been safer on a bus!

All we seemed to do was keep applying draconian closure orders and over cautious refusals to see patients face to face. Even at the moment my own GP is pushing everything to phone consultancy in a way they never did before, and it’s really not great for a lot of issues.

I’d also query some of the crude and unscientific way that the lockdowns were planned. There were crazy situations like being unable to buy clothes and shoes etc, I remember Dunnes telling me I couldn’t buy socks! Big, open, well ventilated spaces like garden centres, DIY stores etc etc also were closed for no logical reason.

Kinda hard to know what to make of the last few years tbh.

I know hindsight is 20:20 vision, but at the same time we do need to look at how this was handled and not just in Ireland.

There’s a lot of broader discussions to be had, and also we need to be able to plan for how we could handle a future pandemic a lot better than we handled this one. The level of economic and social disruption in many countries was far too extreme and it exposed an enormous vulnerability that I don’t think really knew we had.

It's extending to other areas too, I mean we have been a complete disaster at handling this energy crisis because of a mix of “ah sure it’s grand / it’ll do” and bonkers NIMBYism as well as high but rather impractical ideals that accidentally have resulted in no LNG storage, minimal oil storage and huge delays to offshore wind etc.

We can’t drift on with no/very poor contingency planning and a health infrastructure that’s in a state of permanent crisis for decades. It’s really not good enough. We’re a wealthy, modern country, yet we seem to think we can just do these things on a badly organised basis or a shoestring budget.

We have to get much better at strategic planning or there’ll come a point where flying by the seat of our pants won’t work…

Advertisement