Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Random Renewables Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,204 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

Has anyone pulled open one of those ProJoy firman's switches? I would be curious to see what's inside. Just a couple of 230v coil relays with a high DC rating?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,033 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

Not opened one up, but have heard it operating, it's mechanical.

When you turn it off, you can hear it whir like a motorised valve and a noticable Ka-chunk into place

Interesting. Spring return, super capacitor? I think if you go above 300VDC your selection for off the shelf relays dwindles down to feck all. They must be fierce worried about it welding.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,257 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

Would it be something like a contactor or a transfer switch? I would imagine a relay would be a lot quieter

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

Anyone got any suggestions on where to look for DC circuit breakers for a battery bank? Something in the 200-500A range

I'm guessing regular electrical wholesalers won't stock that kind of stuff?

• Advertisement

The best way I can describe it is the zone valves on heating systems, sounds identical,

It needs to be able to break 600v DC so I'm guessing there's some rapid spring action in there too on the disconnect.

I'll try and record it sometime. Takes a while to turn back on too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭silver_sky

Seeing discharging limit at 50A. I wonder is this due to the low ambient temps. Attic dipped below 10C and inverter temp dipped under 20C.

Has anyone ever made a portable power station, like a Puredrive or Bluetti but DIY?

Kinda tempted to make one with some LiFePo cells, a cheap BMS and a 12V inverter 😁

Could use one of those plastic IKEA boxes to keep it all together

• Registered Users Posts: 65,318 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Yep. You guessed it, I have. Several of them actually. They usually have multiple uses like my eBike battery doubles as a portable power station too. During the last power cut, I roasted a full chicken on my eBike battery in our air fryer 😁 That was a 14S lithium ion system, so almost 59V fully charged, working grand with my cheap 48V 2kW Chinese inverter. Be careful before you decide on a 12V system. Even if you only plan to run a max 1kW out of it, you will already need 100A rated cabling. Inefficient and expensive and hard to work with.

I can also use some of them as direct grid tie in systems, for when my home battery is about to run out in the evening. I really do not like paying nearly €0.30c / kWh for day rate electricity

• Advertisement

I had one but dismantled it only recently because the 1000W inverter I had on it wasn't that great after

You'll like it a lot less when your discount expires and day rate costs 47c/kWh 😱

Might take another look at a 48V system, an ebike battery would actually be a nice option for a higher voltage pack

So far I am using about 95% of my electricity that I import at night rate (with some electric heating throughout the day!). So the day rate is not really that relevant to me. As long as I can manage to almost entirely avoid it, I don't care if it goes up to €5 per kWh 😂

And if that happened, it would be a great justification for doubling my batteries to 70kWh or so

What I dont get is how demand for electricity appears to be as high as ever despite all the increases. The media is rife with tales of fellas throwing the dust from the bottom of their change jar into their prepaid meter, but the silent majority/industry are continuing on the old foot and paying the higher prices and not even bothering to reduce usage the slightest. Though I suspect at least some portion of them will get a bit of a land when their bill arrives in December

• Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭silver_sky

Majority are reactive instead of proactive. They'll attempt some changes when the bill comes in, although with the govt payments of 200x3 that may actually stop some making changes.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,913 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Yes, the payments are stupid.

Most folks may not have seen a high bill yet on the new tariffs. However the increase will be eaten by the 200 quid credits. Essentially the credits are direct funding of energy companies, by giving money to people who don't need it.

I'll likely not have an electricity bill at all for 6-8 months now as the 3*200 credits and deemed FIT will eat the standing charges plus night rate.

This is why I say the payments are stupid. I just spent 25k on a large solar install, does anyone think that it's a good use of taxpayer money to fund my bills, or someone like me? The money for the 4*200 credits committed or paid so far would ahve been better spent on 100% funded solar installs of say 2-3kW

For some reason they are extremely hesitant to do 100% funding and the 200e payments do nothing to actually fix the problem. Michael and Leo must play at the same golf course as Sir Philips-Davies and the rest of the big power generation crew and have decided to just line their pockets. All it's doing is encouraging them to increase their prices even more

• Registered Users Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭bullit_dodger

+1 there.

Naturally nobody (nobody) wants to see the €200 taken away from them, but it should be means tested and the money given to people who actually need it. Like you ELM, I've low bills with a system in place of €15K or so to help me weather the energy crisis.

I'd rather see my €200 go to part fund an actual solar installation on a roof of some house who is in energy poverty. People will instinctively go "Ah why should they get for free something I had to pay for" and it's a fair comment. However, we need to break that thinking, and go for what's right for the climate.

It's like the comment "If i give a man a fish I feed him for the day, if I teach him to fish.....I feed him for life". Giving out these €200 blocks isn't solving the problem LONG term. What are there? 2 million homes in Ireland. So that's 2m x €200 = €400m

Let's go with an (outrageous!) €10K for a "standard" 5Kwp installation, no battery. That €400m could fund 40,000 solar installations and generate meaningful electricity for 20+ years. That's more than the number of houses in total that have solar today.

OK, the infrastructure isn't in place to install 40,000 houses by Christmas, so the money is a quick fix to a unique problem, but that kind of money would help reduce climate change, help protect some of the more vulnerable members of society who are in energy debt..... as opposed to a single once off payment which effectively ends up in the Exxon's/Shell of the world.

Even worse is that there is no surplus tax money to fund this. It is being borrowed. Which means our children will have to pay it back at some stage with tonnes of compounded interest.

It's ok though. We're fooking stuff up and increasing inflation by 7-10% YoY so that 200 will be worthless soon!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,304 ✭✭✭SD_DRACULA

The 200 payments are about as useful as a wooden fyring-pan if everyone gets shafted after them regardless.

Muppets in charge should be fixing the source of the problem...

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,940 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

It's uneconomical to be means tested and although it is a good idea to funnel into PV install assistance not everyone can avail of panels whereas everyone has electricity to pay for

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

In 6 months when we're paying over 50c per kWh and the 200 credit is long gone, which would be a better use of the same money?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,940 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

I'm not disagreeing, just saying it's uneconomical to means test such a - relatively - low sum, I'm something like €500-€600 in credit with Energia, will be more now with these €200 and FIT, Energia just dropped my DD to €49 every two months to claw back the cr

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

I'm not saying to means test it, I'm saying to not do it at all.

Anyone suggesting to means test anything, should be hung. Basic income for everyone, that's it. Nothing else. But that's probably for another forum 😂

I'm okay with the idea of the payments as a short term solution. I think the government, ESBN, Eirgrid and the CRU should all be booted out for our current over reliance on imported gas. But, there's no use in punishing the consumer for their incompetence

I think the real question that needs to be answered is what to do going forward, how do we really encourage the use of renewables

Currently the approach by the CRU seems to be the utter shambles of installing smart meters and punishing customers for daring to consume electricity

I think it would be good to look at ways of giving back to the customer for certain actions, for example the UK paying people for shifting usage to night rates.

There also need to be more measures to encourage deep retrofitting of existing houses. IMO there could be a stick and carrot approach to this. Make the grants more generous and easier to access for homeowners, and also make stamp duty and LPT higher for houses with a lower BER, so that more efficient homes are more competitive

Smart meters should allow negative pricing for a couple of hours at night. I'd be ok with 70c day rate 12c night and -1c 0200-0400

• Advertisement

Nah, no grants. They simply go towards the profit of installers. As government the main task is to up our renewables percentage drastically and quickly. So make sure we are getting very large wind farms off shore. Make sure we are getting interconnectors with the likes of Spain and France (exchange our wind for their solar and nuclear) and make sure we are getting some substantial commercial PV farms on or off shore (lakes)

Stimulating micro generation by subsidising panels or equipment, having zero VAT on them or install grants is nice for all of us who are into that or would like to on an individual basis, but it's not really efficient use of tax payers money. Simply enforcing net metering would though. Up to the utility companies to make that work commercially for them (could well mean higher day rates than we have now) and particularly higher winter peak rates. Bring it on!

Advertisement