Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dosing

Options
  • 30-10-2022 3:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Cattle coming in before the rain.

Have Mastermectin to dose them, is it advisable to dose on housing or after a few weeks.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,427 ✭✭✭hopeso

For something like Mastermectin, you can do them straight away.

A fluke dose it the most one that works better after a few weeks housed. Fluke is easier killed as it matures.

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭RockOrBog

For fluke you need to have them inside for at least 6 weeks ideally before you dose.

The Mastermectin that you're using doesn't cover fluke, so you can give them that as soon as you like.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭Dunedin

If you want to catch fluke then wait a minimum of 2 weeks and go with something like fasinex or endofluke.

mastermectin will cover Gastro-intestinal worms, Lungworm, Warbles, Mange mites, Sucking and biting lice so can be done on the day they go in

i generally wait two weeks and do both together - the fluke and the worm drench as it saves getting them into the crush twice.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,024 Mod ✭✭✭✭greysides

Fasinex, or generic, kills all fluke once animals are dosed 2 or more weeks after housing.

Trodax, Fukanide or Flukiver, or their generics, the delay is six weeks to kill all fluke in the one go. Alternatively, dose at housing and repeat in six weeks.

High dose Albex, Zanil, Clorsulon (and 'Super' in Ivomec Super) only get fluke once they're adults, at about 10-12 weeks in the animal. Basically, not fit for purpose, given the better options these days.

The aim of argument, or of discussion, should not be victory, but progress. Joseph Joubert

The ultimate purpose of debate is not to produce consensus. It's to promote critical thinking.

Adam Grant

• Advertisement

I housed a batch of heifers there 2 weeks ago, one or two are coughing now and again but not bad. They were done twice with Animec super injection, once in May and again in August.

I sent off a few dung samples last week to a place in Galway, I'm kind of anxious to get them dosed, how long does it usually take for results?

McMaster Technique:

100 Trichostrongyles EPG present.

Sedimentation Technique:

(Some) Paramphistomum spp eggs present.

Modified Baermann Technique:

No lungworm larvae detected.

I got the results, now to figure out what they mean

It sounds like something to discuss with your vet......

Advertisement