Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Marathon 2022

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,456 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Those guys are well known international class masters runners - I know the M65 champ well, I used to be in his club. And that was his second marathon in 5 weeks after Berlin. There are a lot of superb runners in all age categories.

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭woody1

after i got my t-shirt at the finish, walked round the corner and there were 2 guys just handing them out randomly without checking whether

people already had them or had their numbers marked, beside the bag dop area

• Registered Users Posts: 24 Conjack76

Well done to everyone who completed the marathon , it's a fantastic achievement no matter how it fared personally on the day - getting to that line is what it's all about.

For me it was my first marathon in 10 years... I had a great 24k - everything was going according to plan , was running comfortably with the 3:40 group and then at I totally blew up, tried to ease off the pace for a few km see if I got a bounce back but legs simply never recovered and from then on it was a torturous battle, it was endless pain (made it home in 4hr 7mins). I had my training done, all the long runs (up to 32k and completed the Fastlane 3/4 at the start of October well within myself), was off the alcohol 3 months, felt great and then was a shock when the legs went but in a weird way I think I'll learn more from last Sunday if I decide to try a marathon again.

The pint of Guinness at the end was well worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭boredatwork82

Actually one other major gripe and this was with the participants and not the race... The amount of slow walkers and joggers wearing headphones was disappointing. Doing events like this are made brilliant by the fantastic stories of people and chatting along the way if you are doing a slow marathon it would have been great to chat and have the Banter. Having the crack with all the support. It really makes the kilometres fly. But each to their own I suppose.

It must be a lonely 5/6 hours just plodding along with your headphones. Surely ya can do that without paying €100 quid.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭DarHan84

First time running DCM, second marathon after Cork in June. 3:28:30 in Cork, so was hoping to take 4-5mins off. Overall, I really enjoyed the atmosphere, the crowds, and the general buzz from the start gun to the hours afterwards, and I managed to do some supporting in the “Purple Mile” after I came in, and thought that was great.

The organisation at the start with toilets etc wasn’t great, there were all coloured race numbers in my wave (Wave 2), and there was general confusion as the 3:30 pacers were at the back of the wave when wave 1 set off, (I think it was their first time pacing DCM), and they were initially prevented from skipping the wave to move ahead of the 3:40 and 3:50 pacers, so there was a standoff which caused a bit of stress. Similar to other comments, the atmosphere at the start line wasn’t great, we all stand waiting, and the gun goes. No count down etc, so that could make the start a bit more of an event.

As far as my race went, started off ok, as others have said, noticed I was sweating more than usual by the park and had to pull to the side of the road at mile 6 to take my shoe off and adjust my sock as it was causing a lot of friction. (I have a few fairly bad-looking blood blisters on that foot now, so it caused me issues for most of the race).

I just checked my pre-race plan and was 10 seconds ahead of target at the 10km split, and the exact same at the halfway spot, so not too bad pace-wise, but in hindsight, I should have held some more back in the first half.

The road up through Crumlin is tough, and mentally I found the turn from the Walkinstown roundabout to the KCR to be quite hard, it was just such a long straight drag. Once I hit Bushy park, the problems began, I felt my right quad tighten up so just figured I could gut it out to the Orwell drop and try to stretch it out on the downhill into Milltown. I was fine going down Milltown but heard a friend calling me, so turned to look over my right shoulder as I passed and immediately felt the inside of my right groin make a small pop.

From then it was about attrition – I’d only lost a minute from halfway to the turn into Clonskeagh so hoped to gut it out. Stopped once to shake it out Ashtons, and as I got going again I started to feel a cramp in my left leg so stopped again at the Mosque – managed to keep moving to Fosters ave and just let gravity push me down to the N11. Had to stop twice on Merrion road, and it was a blur pulling myself down the final mile+. My wife took a video of me crossing the canal at the schoolhouse, and my legs weren’t bending at that point.

All in a tough course, I clearly wasn’t hydrated enough for the heat/humidity but managed to PB at 3:27:47 so I’ll take it. Don’t think I’ll be running 2 marathons in a year again, but I’m sure the credit card will come out when the reentry mail hits my inbox…

Really found this thread helpful before the big day, but all in it reinforced that 26.2 is no joke!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

I was supporting on Sunday and really enjoyed it. My wife was in wave 4, so was primarily following that wave... saw all the waves pass up Chesterfield Avenue and then moved across to the Chapelizod exit to see more of wave 4. I was struck by the amount of people in waves 1 or 2 who had no business being there and were already under serious pressure by mile 5. The music in the Phoenix Park ended mid wave-4, which must be pretty disheartening for runners at the back of the field.

Walked through the Chapelizod water stop as the tail end of wave 4 passed through. It was an eye-opener to see the colossal amount of barely-used bottles and plastic cups strewn across both sides of the road. I know that I 100% prefer a bottle when I'm racing, but having seen the sheer amount of plastic waste at just one water stop, I'd be entirely happy for more sustainable options be pursued.

I made my way across to Milltown afterwards. Safe to say that 95% of the participants I saw here were walking by this stage. It is like a completely different sport down the field compared to the earlier waves, and to be honest I've lots of respect for the people at this end of things. The support had thinned out a lot by this stage too, but the runners were very appreciative of the encouragement.

Great to meet some new and familiar faces in McGrattan's afterwards - missed a few as we were late arrivers, but on the plus side this meant that the queues at the bar were beginning to thin as we landed. The €110 price tag for next year wouldn't be a deal-breaker on it's own accord, but when you throw in hotels and other costs of travelling up for the weekend it definitely gives a reason to explore alternatives.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,097 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

It wasn't me, but as another type 1 with a good few marathons under my belt and a handful of ultras, there isn't anything we can't do.

Well, possibly astronaut might be out. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,002 ✭✭✭opus

I was running with a friend who admitted at the start that he'd done precisely one long run of ~25k! He does a fair bit of cycling so is fit enough. Our goal was ~4:08 and we were on pace 'til ~37k or so before the lack of long runs caught up with him. However we just slowed down a bit as he was determined there would be no walking so ended up coming home in 4:12. Was a bit worried after the finish line as he was feeling terrible & it was a long walk to get the goodie bags to get him some water but all was ok in the end.

I really enjoyed the day, saw lots of people I knew in the supporters along the way & got a huge cheer from a large group of Sanctuary Runners towards the end. 

Post edited by opus on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭Naked Lepper

ha , i think i saw you.. just at the right hand side of the road after the garda HQ and before we all turned left through the zoo to chesterfield ave

was wondering why someone was walking around with their shoe in their hand after 6m :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,767 ✭✭✭FortuneChip

Just a spectator this year, knew a few running so hoped to give them a cheer just after Myo's Castleknock.

That's always a busy spot, so we moved up further towards White's Gate etc where it spaces out a bit.

Definitely noticed that trend of spectators leaning out, and then dominoes onto the next, so get what people are saying about being nearly blocked.

Seemed like a great day for it, and definitely left me with FOMO. Think it's really poor there's nowhere to live stream it, it would have been great to pop home after the slower waves, and catch the remainder on TV. It wouldn't have been viable for me to chase the pack through various spots.

I'm always a bit bemused by some people's wave choice. We got there for the 3 hour pacers, and at just 11km, I'd have thought a decent number of them would struggle to get around - maybe it's to ensure they get around before dark? Not doubting their commitment or efforts, just wonder if it's difficult watching 3:30 runners blasting by.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭Naked Lepper

I was at the front of Wave 2 and noticed a lot of quite slow runners ahead of me by the time we got to the park. Not sure what pace some would have been running at but it was definitely over 4 hour pace. Not sure how they ended up in Wave 1... it can be a little frustrating having to weave around them so early when there are specific waves allocated based on finish times

• Registered Users Posts: 41 AlanPat

Heh, thanks so much for the feedback. We are just starting out on this journey and quite scared about what the future holds. You and the other guys I met on Sunday have just reinforced what the doc told us, that there is nothing my son can't do. Maybe he was also included being an astronaut!!! Hope you had a great day.

• Registered Users Posts: 567 ✭✭✭sdevine89

Am I missing something here or is the £30.29 pack not clearly the best value?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,097 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

I was in the middle of wave 1, but there didn't actually seem to be as many out of place in the first few miles as I'd normally have seen. There was also a distinct lack of Gardai walking after having started on the front row which was a good change, the only ones I'd passed were just slowing as anyone would and hadn't started out of place. Also only passed one couple walking along when I got to half way who had clearly started hours earlier, and that is again a big change from previous years at Dublin where there was quite a number doing an unofficial early start.

I guess the slower runners encountered by wave 2 had started towards the back of wave 1 and got dragged along with the excitement for the first mile or so before reverting to their actual pace.

London Marathon was unusually far worse this year for the percentage of people starting out of place at the front I thought. But as others have noted I did think there was a lot of people stopping with cramps and to stretch in the last few miles, more than I'd normally see.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭andrew1977

Just received the email to register for 2023 marathon, decision to make and quickly, was unable to run this year due to injury and not sure if my injury will impact my long-distance running going forward.

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭FazyLucker

I commented on this too. You would miss out on so much random encouragement from the strangers all willing you on.

I will never forget my last marathon from Milltown to the top of Roebuck Hill the sheer encouragement which the crowd cheering, clapping, willing you on, gives you. It was worth all the Running Songs on my playlist could ever give me. On Sunday, I tried to give it back to everyone running because I know how important it is.

A friend of mine ran it in 2019 and despite 3 of us screaming at him as he ran over the bridge at Dolphins Barn, he didn't realise we were there.

We are becoming more introverted and anti-social as a society and each to their own, but to me the crowd is what makes the DCM a great event. And the other runners who you chat with for a few minutes here and there.

As you say, you could run the 42k and have water in the front garden and its the same thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,682 ✭✭✭Cartman78

My meandering race report is over on my log for anyone who wants a good laugh (or cry) 😅

Can't link on mobile so here's an old school URL: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2057689298/pb-or-not-pb-that-is-the-question#latest

Agree with this. I was around the place in a few spots, etc and couldn't believe it when I saw some people coming through with the 3:20 pacers and clearly flagging before even getting 1/2 way. It was clear that they were WAY out of their depth.

I have heard so many people say "yeah, sure I'll get to 20-22 miles and hope to see it out from there" before. I think they don't realise that is not how it works. Race at haste, repent at leisure as they say!

Also, did they let a load of walkers off early? A load of them arrived around 1/2 way shortly after the leaders!

• Registered Users Posts: 29,364 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Do they not send "official" walkers off way earlier, so they're not finishing in the dark/evening?

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭DarHan84

Confused by that too. Also thought the pictures were fairly crap. I have about 40, and maybe 15 are from the first 1.5miles before you head up to North Circular.

Not sure if it's number related, I had my umber pinned to my belt which is normally fine but the large barcode at the bottom kept blowing up and covering the number.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 572 ✭✭✭R.F.

I purchased the iTab Medal when I initially entered the marathon. I’m not even sure what it is. Will this just get posted out to me or was it something I was meant to collect on the day?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,311 ✭✭✭nullObjects

It will have your finishing time on it so they can't give them out on the finish line. It's a little piece you can put on the medal so you have the finishing time on the medal too as a momento

• Registered Users Posts: 567 ✭✭✭sdevine89

• Registered Users Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭GoHardOrGoHome

Normally can you defer an entry or was that just this year because of Covid? Friend is hoping to do NYC but if that falls through she'll do Dublin again.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭Laineyfrecks

My race report here if anyone is bored😉😊

No you can't defer it. It was a covid measure. It cost me €93 this year! Oh well, my friend had a good day.

The €30 one is still the best value per picture though.

Unless you want to pay €80 for no pictures for some reason? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 800 ✭✭✭SeeMoreBut

Anyone know what the uptake on photos are?

Me personally I’ve never purchased them. I usually look awful in them

• Finisherpix are up now. Needless to say none will be purchased

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭rovers_runner

Felt the finisherpix bundle was overpriced so threw €113 on some race a year away instead.

Advertisement