Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk, Gossip, Rumours 2024/25

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,306 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

Definitely, without any fancy bookwork, without qualifying for next year's champions league, does anyone have any idea how much the club can spend without pushing ffp? Obviously some will say it is dead in the water but without getting dragged into that, thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,940 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Also don't forget about of a 25 man squad for the preimer league only 17 players can be non homegrown.

So that plays into who to club can sign as well.

Where does that budget get spent if the club has maxed out it's non homegrown quota.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,745 ✭✭✭giveitholly

Diaz was Mane's replacement but had to be bought in January because spurs made a move on him

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,845 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Maybe that was the plan but both played every big game together after Diaz signed

Carling Cup Final , FA Cup Final , Champions league Final Mane was played CF ,

Mane left in the summer & we brought in a CF to replace Mane postion in the starting 11 as a CF

Nunez was Manes replacement anything else is just nonsense,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,504 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

There will be many many Mane updates, if we lose many many many games, while Mane scores many many many goals and wins many many many trophies

But in all seriousness, I think Mane was more than a great player, he was a winner, even when losing, he hated to lose, he was forever giving it all, and it was an example to others, I can't recall a single game where you would question his motivation, and he would not tolerate less than 100% from others. He led, others followed, we don't seem to have a player like him in the side this season.Mane was like Suarez, and it's incredible how a born winner can drag everyone along, and transform the team and players in the process, even the likes of Jon Flanagan.

We lack that this season, is Henderson's captaincy on the line..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,069 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

For the forward options, the only relevant question is; how many high quality guys do we need for the amount of football they have to play? I'm kind of ok with the present Salah, Diaz, Jota, Nunez, Bobby. 5 high-quality regular-starter guys for those 3 positions is about right. If Bobby goes then we need another guy obviously. Beyond those, I'd like one more highly rated kid who can come in and be a genuine option without being pissed off if they're not playing (maybe that's Carvalho after he's bedded in more, maybe it's someone else in-house like Doak, or Gordon, or Cannonier etc, or a new buy like Moukoko).

If they can get Moukoko to sign on a bosman in January that would be an impressive signing I've watched him in a couple of BVB games this season and that kid will go far in the game.

I think we need another wide forward with bags of pace,

Nunez, Jota, Firmino are all better in the middle , & Mo may well be heading that way,

Have to agree said it time & time again even when Mane had a bad game the full back up against him had a really thought afternoon ,

Even if nothing was working he was constantly trying to get something to work ,He may be making a mess of things but he'd never go missing form a game,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,620 ✭✭✭Damien360

I know you have been saying it already but I would forget about another forward until the midfield is sorted out. Too many old passengers and I include Henderson. Wasting the budget on one marquee player (Bellingham) won’t solve this.

Loyalty to certain players is killing the team. Once they are past it, thank them and shift them on. The fan base demanded new contracts for Hendo and Milner. They rightly demanded one for Salah. Of those 3, only one decision was correct.

I would think that a lack of major investment by FSG would make Klopp ask why he bothers to stay, despite his new contract. Loosing Klopp would be a disaster. God help us if Gerrard gets the nod next as the fan base will demand that also.

Loosing the coveted CL place could turn out to be far more expensive to refund a team. We saw this previously and even Utd struggled to attract certain talent without it. Hell, Forest spent over €100m this year and that’s funded by next years Tv money.

• Advertisement

I agree

You could probably get Barella & Caicedo for less than Bellingham, Laimer is on a free from Red bull ,

I can just picture John W and the rest of FSG gang sitting in there Boston mansions having conference call with Klopp and the transfer team and medical team.

Right lads here is another transfer budget just make sure you keep up the tradition of signing injury prone players we sure do love buying for them.

Our fans seem to love blaming us for these transfers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,506 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Don’t think Moukoko would be too happy with that role at the rate he’s going, wherever he ends up, he’ll want to be starting every week but I think he’ll hang around at Dortmund for another couple of years, crazy that he’s still just 17!

Carvalho is fine as a 6th choice at present, but yeah we’d all like to see a little more from him of course. I know it sounds a bit bonkers, but if Ramsay could break into the team and prove he can defend at a decent level, I wouldn’t mind seeing Trent thrown in on the right wing in a similar way that Pep used to play Dani Alves at Barca the odd time. Against the right opponent, he can be effective there I reckon.

• Administrators Posts: 54,128 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

I'm not convinced by this TAA at right wing idea tbh, I think it would be too disruptive to accommodate. We don't really play with wingers, we play with wide forwards who drive inside.

I don't think we could afford to carry TAA in one of the 3 midfield spots if he's going to play wide, and I don't see him taking a spot from one of the forwards. We would need to change formation, you'd probably have to drop one of the front 3 and go to a front 2 to put in an extra man in the middle.

Priority 0 for us is buying actual midfielders, ones that can fit into how we can play. Someone who can put the yards in to cover RB when TAA goes on a run would make a big difference.

I wonder has anyone thought about sticking him LW , we currently have nobody fit for that position at all,

Do what Spurs done with Bale, but on the opposite sides, obviously Trent is not half the athlete Bale is but even coming inside could open the left channel for RObbo ,

The Under 19's won 5-0

Top there group and into the knockouts of the youth champions league.

Kone-Doherty with 2.

He is having a great first season at the club 8 goals in 12 games now.

Doak scored 1 and now has 8 in 14 games in his first season.

• Administrators Posts: 54,128 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

LW / RW, the problem is the same. He doesn't fit into the system in either spot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,583 ✭✭✭mormank

That's such a cop out. You and others like you were the only ones even talking about him being sacked around that time and you were proven very very very very wrong in your opinion at that time. Now you have the same opinion again. Well if you are of the opinion everytime we hit a bad patch that it's gonna be the end for Klopp, whether you "want" it or not, then eventually you are gonna be right aren't you? But just like the stopped clock that is right twice a day it doesnt turn you into some Oracle who knows everything all the time.

You are the exact same with players, unless they hit the ground running they are shocking and shouldnt be anywhere near the team all the while "hoping to be proven wrong" which again is such a cop out so that if they come good you can make out like you "never wrote them off".

We all get roughly the same info on the team and see the same matches but everything is just skewed lightly negative in your world, which is fine, I'm negative aswell but at least be aware of it and how constantly portraying yourself that way just grates on other people regardless of whether you are right or not tbh. You wouldn't sit in a pub with your mates and just constantly piss and moan about everything would ya? Cos there is plenty in this world to piss and moan about for many a night of drinking but ya dont do it I'll bet...here you do it for some reason.

I want to see Klopp succeed i worry about our owners not backing him & if they don't i don't see how it improves given how many will be leaving on frees next summer ,

Ye i call players out who are playing poorly there's nothing wrong with that, Nunez is starting to play well which is great ,

Currently im not a big fan of Elliot or Carvalho i think they have loads to do to be good enough in the long term, Iv nothing against them personally so of course i;d like them to prove me wrong ,

You'll never see me slate Trent, Hendo,Mo or even Fab because they have money in the bank & have shown they can do it,

Can i ask why is it such a cop out ?????

Surely as fans we all want every player to succeed at the club but at the same time its ok to say if ones are playing badly , Id love nothing better than Elliot & Carvalho to get two each this evening ,

I very rarely say i want anyone sold, Only player who i think id sell of the current squad is Joe Gomez just because I think it would actually benefit him to play week in week out,

If people make calls & it ends up being wrong who cares its football it happens,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,125 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭jebidiah

On the train on the way to tonights match. Any pub recommendations before? Should I have pints in town or near the stadium?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,130 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

Tuesday to Sunday is a decent stretch, with a league cup game in between. I'm not sure we'll see a whole lot of rotation.

I think Firmino & Fabinho should be rested tho. Maybe even VVD.

If it was up to me, I'll start Bajcetic. Milner in beside him or let Hendo/Thiago do a split shift. Milner done the press conference so he is more than likely starting.

Is it too soon to give Ramsey a start? Maybe 20 from the bench. Is Robbo fully recovered from the injury? No harm in giving Tsimikas this midweek and next week too. Let Konate start

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,583 ✭✭✭mormank

The whole "this player isn't good enough for us but I hope they prove me wrong" thing is such a cop out. It just you leaving the door open to never be seen as wrong cos you left in that little caveat that you hope to be proven wrong so if the player turns out to be a star you can hide behind that instead of just admitting you were wrong. We all hope we are wrong about players when we think they are crap, thats a given.

Take Carvalho as an example. We all see he isn't peak Mane when he is playing on the wing. You declaring he isn't good enough to play for us is basically stating he isn't peak Mane cos that is the level that IS good enough for us. We all see that. But it's not like Klopp is benching Diaz to start Carvalho week in week out. Carvalho is playing mostly out of necessity due to injuries, it wasn't the plan. Elliot is the same, he would be playing less minutes if injuries weren't so bad. But they have massive potential and we are all choosing to see them in that light whereas you just compare them to peak mane and peak Hendo, see that they aren't that and say get them out of the team etc...We all see that they are not peak Mane or Hendo believe me but you need to blood youngsters to see them blossom in later years. It happened with Foden at City, he played very little at first and was afforded that luxury and now city are seeing the fruits of it as he starts most weeks and plays at a very high level

Well I was very wrong as the team is

Alisson, Trent Konate Virgil Tsimikas, Fabinho Thiago Milner Jones, Salah Firmino

Nunez benched

Reading there that Diaz should be back for the training camp during the World Cup.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,620 ✭✭✭Damien360

Wondering if this is a throw away game. We have qualified for the next round so what’s to gain ? I’m not looking forward to this.

Fabinho & Firmino need rests. They shouldn't be starting in a throw away game. VVD too, IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,811 ✭✭✭Ottoman_1000

Jasus you are some spoofer to be fair. So you claim you don't call out players like, Trent and Fab because they have "money" in the bank, but you had absolutely no problem ranting about Klopp on here week in week out a whole 6 months after he had just follow up Champions League success with our first Premier League title in 30 years. I remember one of your posts claiming we can only judge Klopp on the last 2 months as the previous 4 years were now irrelevant...

I understand Carvalho is only playing because of injury but it's also a downgrade to be having to play him than Origi or Taki both far better, Unlike City we can not afford guys who currently are not up to it

Elliott is different as he was starting games last August & September when everyone is fit,

Again I don't think either would be seeing this much game time at City, Chelsea, Spurs or United that says it all about where we are

Very odd starting 11

Is it 4 4 2, Milner RM Jones LM

• Advertisement

Again I thought he'd lost the dressing room our bad run & I thought it would lead to him leaving, I was wrong it happens

Players go through bad spells and recover it happens all the time, Its harder for a manger to recover from a bad run but Klopp did

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,650 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

Konate back is fvckin huge.

Gomez has reverted so much, I'd nearly play Phillips in front of him at this stage. He's a dreamer, makes at least one big mistake in every game, and worse for us is ghat he is absolutely terrible with the ball at his feet - opposition just leave him alone and he inevitably gives the ball away or fvxks up.

Matip has been a big loss, but Konate back is brilliant longer term.

Diamond with Jones on top?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

Get up to the stadium. Any near there are good. The Kop Bar (where the old shop was) is tickets out and controlled numbers, so it's good *if* you can get in. The Sandon is the nearest one big enough to get in handy enough. Hotel Anfield beer garden is great if it's dry. My personal favourite is The King Harry, it's a kip but there's something about it 😋

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,125 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

Such a kip it should be outside Croker as well 😀

Great spot though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 780 ✭✭✭patsy sally

Not sure what too expect from tonight we will soon see I suppose

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,740 ✭✭✭✭McDermotX

Here we go again

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,206 ✭✭✭fyfe79

Brugge top of their group - not a bad team to get in the next round. Or are we better off playing a 'big gun'?

Edit: Nevermind - was an old table I was looking at. Porto have topped that group. Wouldn't mind getting them either, though.

Post edited by fyfe79 on

Good play. Jones on his heels TBH, but still got to it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,698 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

Woeful from Fab

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 677 ✭✭✭FernandoTorres

Dreadful start from Fabinho again

• Advertisement

Looks like 4 3 3 is back

Diving fecker

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,965 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

Ronnie Whelan absolutely loves a moan about this club

Fabinho's just rough to watch at the moment, you can see what he wants to do and you know he's gonna be late before he even does it

• Registered Users Posts: 4,517 ✭✭✭passremarkable

Ronnie Whelan on commentary would rot ya

No wonder our defenders are giving the ball away so much when we've 5 men offside while they have the ball there

McManaman not much better on the other side.

Not happy unless Liverpool get a decision against them. Any other English side gets his full support of course. Standard bitter ex-player.

Hard to see where a goal come from other than Mo

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,504 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Crowd needs to up their game, it's quiet , to dam quiet

Advertisement