Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Renting out spare room - noise issues tenant

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,760 ✭✭✭✭L1011

These posts are not on topic and are absolutely not helpful. Do not post in this thread again.

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭byrne249

I have rented to a few tulips like this. Frankly, you are acting like a pushover, buying him headphones? That is total nonsense. It is your house. Your quality of life has been directly affected on numerous occasions. You give one last warning and when he inevitably ignores it you send him an email/message something in writing to leave with x time. Simple.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,786 ✭✭✭DownByTheGarden

When I started working from home my wife got really annoyed with me talking on the phone in the mornings before she got up. I thought she was over reacting but used the headphones and lowered my phone for the sake of peace in the house. But then she started a new job where she starts very early and she started doing the same thing for a few days and it really annoyed me. I got the point she was making :)

Voices are louder than you think, especially in the mornings and people should make an effort to respect one another. Its not a hard thing to do to use a headset when on the phone.

Also, some people are just loud all the time. MY brother for example cant close a door gently. He cant put a cup on a table without it being heard across the house. Everyone complains about it but he is incapable of getting the concept of noise reduction for the sake of other people in the house.

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭Bargain_Hound

OP, that situation sounds dire on a number of fronts. As a home owner and someone who has children - I am unsure how you can comfortably raise a family (even if it is only every 2nd weekend) in such a situation in your home and I really do wonder if the financial benefits would really be worth all of this? Are you ever likely to find a tenant who doesn't make any noise?

And I do feel for the man lodging aswel - lets be honest - it's not easy to find somewhere to live nowadays and I am sure he is well aware and not malicious in his intent in anyway from the description of the situation you have provided.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,847 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

3 pages to state soemthing simple. Sit him down, with your partner there. Tell him that if it happens again he is out on his ear 24 hours later. No ifs, no buts. A fair warning that any attempt to refuse leaving will result in his stuff bagged and left outside the door the next time he pops out.

Also, do not let it slip once, if it happens, that is it, out the door. He knows he is lucky to have accomodation in this day and age with someone who appraently goes above and beyond what is reasonable. He has a GF to crash with if he needs too, end of discussion.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,196 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

His parents didn't do their job if he thinks it is ok to go round with the phone on speaker or TV on full blast in a shared living situation. It is quite possible nobody told him it is unacceptable, so I would give him the benefit of the doubt on that one.

Have a chat with him, point out compromises he needs to make, if it continues, goodbye.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,273 ✭✭✭The Spider

Well it is a good deed, he had to leave at short notice and they gave him somewhere ina tight housing market, FFS, some people. I’m up to my eyes with clients and they all pay me it’s the least I expect, so if someone comes to me a short notice and I move things around and I fit them in, that’s a good deed, otherwise they have to try get my services elsewhere at short notice, oh and yes I do still expect to be paid.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,786 ✭✭✭DownByTheGarden

Some people are just blind to their annoyance of others. Look at the growing tendency of people on the bus, train or even in a cafe watching movies on their phones with the sound coming out full blast from the speakers on the phone. not a care in the world that other people might be trying to sleep on the train or trying to just have a conversation, or even just wanting a bit of peace.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,356 ✭✭✭Fiona

Thank you everybody for your comments, both crazy and normal.

I had a chat with him, explained the situation and that it was an issue and that I was hoping we could get it sorted before it turns into a bigger problem as is a very good tenant otherwise clean, tidy and a nice person to be around.

He took it all onboard and said he was sorry and would be mindful and to just shout at him the next time if he steps out of line but that he would do his best.

Now for some of the comments, yes I do his washing, to maintain order in the house and it works. It was a tip given to me by somebody else.

He is a great cook and when he does take over the kitchen he dishes out a spare plate of food for myself and my partner to share - his way of giving back

My stepdaughters safety, many a child has been abused in their own home by those closest to them so is any child safe? in any house? with any parent or stranger.....?

If they didn't feel comfortable with him in the house, the arrangement would not work regardless of how dependent we are on the extra income at present. But thankfully the introductions have gone well, he has dinner with us at the weekends and he is integrating well in that respect , perhaps he has felt so welcomed and that's why he did what he did with the phone.

Who knows anyway hopefully it's all sorted now, thank you all your comments are all much appreciated x

He doesn't have his parents, he never did so one of my reasons for wanting to give the lad a chance.

Yeah I am a dope / softy etc!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭angela1711

Could your husband just not use ear plugs while sleeping ? That way is a win win for everyone, husband can sleep in a quiet environment and lodger can make noise at what would be considered reasonable hours in a non shift work scenario.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,098 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

Regardless if he did.

The Renter isn't being reasonable.

He's acting like a teenager.

Nah, we didn't take on two extra jobs each to buy a house to have to wear ear plugs to accommodate somebody else.

It has to be the other way around. Or else he will have to go and we can start afresh with somebody else and be a little bit stricter from the outset as we will have more experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭angela1711

Yeah no that's fair enough. I've just seen that you were already taking to him so hopefully that will be the end of your issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,243 ✭✭✭Esse85

"He would do his best" 😂

This guy sounds like a simpleton with little self awareness.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭herbalplants

I am sorry you are going through this. Full stop, ask this guy to leave. His behaviour won't change. You don't need to share a room in someone's house to know not to act like he does.

Don't try anymore, tell him he needs to move on.

You would be better off taking mature students from English schools, you know when they leave, they are hardly in your home.

This guy seems to be an idiot.

Living the life

• Registered Users Posts: 12,098 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

I find with Teens sharing is caring.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m0eQDHPwgNk&ab_channel=buttkrieg

Usually sorts it out...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭herbalplants

You sound rude with your advice. Lots of people don't shout and argue at 9 am.

Living the life

• Registered Users Posts: 29,328 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

OP, did you know this guy or his family before you took him in as a licensee? Or how did you find him?

You sound kind of fond of him, so I'm wondering if there's some prior acquaintance that's making it hard for you to put your foot down regarding the noise?

I'd definitely be of the opinion that it's your house, your rules - as long as everything was clear from the start.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Op you are such a kind person and it is so easy to be taken advantage of. So hoping the chat you have jad will solve this and domestic harmony be restored - or/.and that the lad will leave if he cannot conform to such simple requests. He has had a much needed breathing space with you so maybe it IS time, Being kind should not disrupt as it has been doing and yes it works both ways andmaye he just did not think and it was right to speak out.

• Advertisement

I just advertised the room on daft, he was the first person to ring me about it and he asked could he come over to have a look at the room and pay deposit.

Plenty of parents I know have taken in foreign students every summer for years or let out rooms to students for digs. I don't think its as big of an issue as you might think.

As for the OP's problem. She says he speaks quietly, but it is the girlfriend who is loud. I never understand why people feel the need to have loud personal phonecalls on handsfree. So I would tell him, please take personal calls off speakerphone, and use headphones where possible. Same with the TV, after 10pm.

Though with someone working nights in the house, I'm not sure its the right fit for a lodger.

(edit - note to see conversation has been had. I hope it works out for you, OP.)

Post edited by [Deleted User] on

I'd be more into the hard house and trance meself, I save the death metal for when the local priest does his rounds hahahahah

• Registered Users Posts: 22 sadgilmore

Hes paying rent via licensee agreement. He's allowed to use his phone in the space he rents and it seems he's doing this without reasonable hours- If you werent ok to accept people sleeping and using a bedroom attached to your bedroom wall rent another room your house.

I've lived in share housing back in my day where people worked shifts or didn't. Unless it's specifically called out on signing he's not doing anything wrong here imo

Edited to say I almost always use speaker phone on phone cause my phone is kinda shite to hear without. Maybe try to actually sit down and tell him the issues and say you aren't compatible it might let him consider things

Advertisement