Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Reflection on the pandemic: questions about the authorities' response.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,978 ✭✭✭✭JRant

Nope, you'll need to reread what's actually in the article. He doesn't directly praise anyone. That was the writer of the article inserting the praise element. Don't shoot the messenger here, I'm just going off the same article as you are here.

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

• Registered Users Posts: 29,549 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Evidence of any criticism of Irish approach - zero.

Instead... Expresses real confidence in Irish officials abililty to judge what restrictions are needed including lockdowns as a measure.

Maybe you dont want to call it praise. This is not criticism. This is support, if not praise.

"The reason why I say I think that's possible in Ireland is that I'm really confident that the public health people are able to work out what might be the most appropriate restrictions... If things get really bad, yeah, they'll have to go back into lockdown."

https://www.thesun.ie/news/7927861/ireland-avoid-return-full-covid-19-lockdown/amp/

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

I'm not sure what's going on here being honest. I never said he criticized Irish officials in that article. He said he was confident another lockdown could be avoided. Sure, you are quote the same one back to be again and again but it still does not say what was originally proposed.

Nabarro was extremely critical of lockdowns, that is not in question. We used lockdowns quite a bit, again nothing in question here either. But you want me to provide a direct quote saying he was critical of Ireland's approach of using lockdowns when I never said mentioned Ireland. I'm not going to give you something I never said in the first place.

Deny reality and data all you want. This is as good a correlation as you will see. And they are curves, not lines.

And what do you mean "a scale of 3 years"? The scale covers the period of thr pandemic and the original strain, alpha, delta and omicron peaks can be clearly seen for each country regardless of restrictions. And all are around the same time. It's as clear as day.

It certainly doesn't demonstrate the success of restrictions, since these varied widely, and countries like France with Draconian restrictions did much worse than countries like Sweden with none. Therefore you have to admit something other than restrictions was the dominant factor in hospital admissions. If you can't then you are anti science and ideologically driven.

This is an entirely disingenuous line of argument.

You said: Speaking of the WHO, they were against using lockdowns as a primary tool, something our lot completely ignored

You then provided a quote from a WHO official making a general comment that lockdowns should be used as a last resort, implying it supported your claim, or else why would you have included it?

But you have failed to provide any evidence the WHO criticised Ireland's approach. They never said it was something "our lot completely ignored", or any words to that effect.

The only quote from said official about Ireland is expressing confidence and support in our officials.

"The reason why I say I think that's possible in Ireland is that I'm really confident that the public health people are able to work out what might be the most appropriate restrictions... If things get really bad, yeah, they'll have to go back into lockdown."

So actual evidence of any support from the WHO official for your claim stands at zero. Yes?

Nothing to suggest our actions were contrary to his statements on lockdowns.

• Advertisement

Look, I'm not getting into a war of semantics with you. I'm bored of it already and the thread will be completely unreadable.

My point was this, the WHO were against using lockdowns as a primary means of controlling the pandemic, that's stated clearly in the article I posted. My comment was that it was something our own officials went against and used lockdowns quite a bit. Now, this is the important part that seems to be causing you some confusion, that last comment is mine and not from the WHO. I never said it was something th WHO directly mentioned, it's my own words.

By the way, I'm not being one bit disingenuous. Nabarro didn't praise our health officials, he said he had confidence they would be able to avoid another lockdown. I've shown a quote where he said this and you even quoted it back to me. I'm not entirely sure what this back and forth is about. If you want to take it as meaning he was full of praise for our health officials, that's fine by me, but I was just pointing out he never actually said those words.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,651 ✭✭✭walus

Pathetic stuff from you again. It is becoming your trademark.

Drop the personal bias and argue with findings. Otherwise, I’ve no time for you.

The focus of my post was only on the actual fatality rate of covid in pre-vaccine days that was predicted back in the day to be in the range of 0.9% to 2% by Ferguson and McConkey, respectively.  

Even though this new paper does not cover it, a simple math will tell you what the IFR of the remaining 6% of population would have to be to bring the total average IFR for all population to the 0.9% level. A small hint - that figure is much larger than the 4% mentioned in the other sources as a median IFR for the elderly overall.  

I’m purposely omitting addressing McConkey’s ‘100,000 people may die’ as that was lunacy of the highest order. 

”Where’s the revolution? Come on, people you’re letting me down!”

You were challenged on putting experts into quotes, and then when challenged on that accuse others of personal bias? From an armchair 'expert' calling out credentialed experts in quotes? Pull the other one.

You haven't even attempted to show what was wrong in how the experts came to the figures they came to. They may be wrong, in hindsight, with better data. But that is not the same thing.

It's not the actual fatality rate, for the reasons listed below.

It doesnt study the age group most affected by covid?

This is your evidence?

Or how much more infectious covid is?

So nothing like the flu then.

By your own admission, the new paper doesn't cover it.

To talk of infection fatality rate without talking about the number of infections is only one half of the equation.

The new paper doesn't once mention influenza, doesn't establish that its mechanism for calculating IFR is the same.

Come back to us when you have some real data, and not exercises in deflection and massaging of figures of pre-print studies.

"This article is a preprint and has not been peer-reviewed [what does this mean?]. It reports new medical research that has yet to be evaluated and so should not be used to guide clinical practice."

• Registered Users Posts: 18,450 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Those who don't learn from history are doomed to repeat it.

Irelands response to covid was a disgrace, even if those who embraced it at the time will never accept that fact.

There was no balance during the pandemic, the adult thing to do would be to bring some balance now and perhaps learn something so as to not make the same mistakes a second time.

The sad fact is, that they WILL repeat the same mistakes the next time around, all it needs is WHO to flag another virus as a pandemic and they will use the measures from COVID as a template while forgetting all the shortcomings and mistakes and repeating them.

Incompetence 101, not learning from past mistakes - far too many here seem to think that what happened was fully justified, and would probably embrace the same if requested to.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,450 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

If a plane crashed into a lake killing 5 people there would be a full and comprehensive investigation into what happened before, during and after the event, all in service of doing better in the future.

But a national response to a pandemic that negatively affected millions of lives and cost billions of euros?

Nothing to learn there apparently. Please don't mention the war.

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭DLink

I really hope you are wrong, but unfortunately I think you're right.

They know they overstepped, and some people, from the top right down to the bottom, really developed into little hitlers what with the shaming and browbeating, I don't think they'll want that highlighted.

Why people are objecting to a review is beyond me.........

• Registered Users Posts: 4,546 ✭✭✭political analyst

Another virus that emerges in China in the future may be less likely to cause a pandemic because Western governments are more likely in the future to take anything that the Chinese Communist Party says with a pinch of salt.

But WHO will call "Pandemic" and they'll all jump again, just like the last time, I do not have much faith in them acting any different.

We're only 10 years from the swine flu fiasco, children are still fighting for compensation from the adverse reactions from those vaccines.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,893 ✭✭✭deirdremf

I know, I left out the irony emoji - I thought the sarcasm was so obvious that an emoji wasn't needed on this occasion.

My apologies!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,893 ✭✭✭deirdremf

It's called irony, apologies if it went over your head!

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭live4tkd

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭live4tkd

Frightening this as I knew would happen as did many others and was flagged yet Martin told Tobin at the time to `get real`.

Being defended to the hilt with some even saying it was unavoidable! Screening shut down for so long and GP visits curtailed.

There has to be some learning for future pandemics.

Reaping what he sowed, yet it's us plebs who will pay the price.....

So, anyway, have they announced the date of the tribunal yet?

No chance! They're too busy erasing people from history because of the slave trade and the like to look at the culprits in the COVID fiasco.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,319 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

an old work colleague died from cancer during the pandemic, theres a possibility she may have survived if it wasnt so, she actually went public just before she died, she should not have needed to do so, we completely failed her, and others....

With respect "we" didn't fail her, the "experts" & politicians failed and we were forced to look on, unable to help.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,319 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

we re all apart of society, including those mentioned, its an us problem, not just a them problem!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,344 ✭✭✭bladespin

Nope, society was literally closed down by the powers that be, the media followed along blindly, there was no objection allowed or entertained, lost my mother and father in law to cancer during Covid, not sure how much having better access to proper diagnosis would have helped but we'll never know now.

It most definitely was a them vs us scenario.

The people in charge made the rules, which most of us blindly followed, resulting in society being clamped down so hard that any dissenters were pointed at and publicly shamed.

The only way for us to change things is to protest, yet protesting was illegal for public health reasons, and anyone who did protest was declared a loon by the press, with those who got arrested having their full names and addresses published in the media.

Unfortunately we have no government recall capability here in Ireland, but even if we did, you can be damned sure it would have been "deferred" for public health reasons.

King Tony was just laughing at us while pulling Mehole & Leo's strings..........

Society wasn't shut down for the craic.

Society was shut down so that people wouldn't lose loved ones to covid.. and the conversation 18 months later saying we were failed by the government and people weren't protected from covid.

They failed those venerable to Covid at the start then failed those who weren't in their scramble to close the stable door after the horse has bolted, great job all round.

If you have a suggestion as to how services could have been better maintained while managing infection risk, or point to how other countries managed their services better during the pandemic fire ahead.

Bearing in mind, spacing beds 1 versus 2 metres apart has a significant difference on spread.

It's very easy to talk of failures, not so easy to plot the alternative course, while taking for granted all the people they did protect.

It may not have been for the craic, but they shut it down and suppressed our liberty and the economy on a whim, you don't see them shutting the place down for the flu or the cold.

Mehole has just put his hand up and warned of "frightening" wave of delayed cancer diagnoses next year, a wave that he is DIRECTLY responsible for.

No one in power gave any thought to the consequences of delayed diagnoses, no one.... You reap what you sow, Mehole has basically just said that, without accepting responsibility of course, yet here you are defending him and the response in general.

• Advertisement

Lol, that's why we have the 'experts' in charge, isn't it???

As a matter of fact I do have a couple of suggestions, don't shutdown screening services to begin with AND how about the revolutionary approach of prioritize the illness you know is potentially terminal over one that's could possibly be. Pretty basic stuff really and much, much easier than you are suggesting but they missed both.

I'm not saying our lot were any worse or better than anywhere else but why put an unknown ahead of a known killer? I can't figure it, 'Get real' indeed.

Advertisement