Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No quitten we're whelan on to chitchat 11

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,207 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

People who are not over weight think thats the answer, If it was that easy, no on would be over weight, My OH and I eat the same amount yet she is underweight. I've had a couple operations on my stomach and the adhesions have reduced my appetite hugely so can't eat like I used to to put up the weight I have

I walk an hour every morning at 5km/hr .....Phone says here that I've used 1500 calories since I got up this morning.

Be interesting to hear back from Carrolls how much weight he lost on what must've been a very intense fitness campaign

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭carrollsno1

I didnt find it too taxing training wise as thats the way the coach wants it to be so you wont get p#ssed off and call it a day. The main thing was to just keep turning up every day. I was doing a lot more gym work than cardio for the first 6 months and then uppeď the gym work and running around July however the cardio has dropped a bit again since September due to a number of reasons. As for weightloss its non existent however ive been told i look a lot trimmer, stronger, fitter and you would notice it in the clothes im wearing too a lot looser around the gut and tighter in the legs, arms and shoulders. I put up about 8kg since i started training bringing it to 128kg. The training plan for the gym work was getting me to aim for 2700 calories/day and get in excess of 200g of protein/day and even at those calories the trainer reckoned i would be in a deficit at that. But it wasnt enjoyable at all it became a job in itself trying to manage that and the last fortnight or so i have dropped to below 2000 calories/day as i couldnt see sense in continuing the previous method if weightloss was the end goal plus as im away from home for the second half of this year it meant most of my daily intake was Avonmores Protein Gold and All Real Nutrition protein bars which couldnt be great. The last fortnight since i dropped the intake i feel a hell of a lot better in myself lighter and more energetic and i hope to continue on this intake into the new year. The animal based diet seems to work best for me and ive had good results in the past with it so im hoping to get back into that when i get back home where i will have more control over whats available to eat.

Better living everyone

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,859 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

I eat like a pig and never put on weight. Anything left over on the table, I eat it. Human food bin. Never put on weight.

I do have bad knees and lower back pain, so the lighter I am , the better. Genetics play a massive role in boby weight.

'If I ventured in the slipstream, Between the viaducts of your dream'

No overweight people on either side of the family here except my maternal grandfather was always blocky out even as a young fella who grew up in the 40s and 50s, his maternal grandfather was an absolute horse of a man too for a fella who would have been born not too long after the famine times in this country.

Better living everyone

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,696 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,307 ✭✭✭kollegeknight

some mare of a year here. The mother of the young cow that broke her leg is after falling down a ledge of a quarry. 8 foot drop behind a stack of knocked trees. Lucky the brother was around to find her. Some slogging to get her out. No budge out of her. Sitting up but not even looking at a bit of crunch or following her calf crying. She was fair stuck.

i was waiting on the oh to come home and had asked the sister to watch my gang so I could check the cattle but she kinda refused so I said I’d wait altogether. Give me a chance to mop a few floors.

hoping time will help her a bit.

definitely not getting a bull now.

keep a few dry cattle close to house and just top The mountain.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭alan10

Did it but didn't go to plan. Took off too fast and paid dearly after 24Km, had to walk bits at end. Legs cramped. Did 2019 in 3:20, was pushing for 3:10 ....ended at 3:38 🙄 ... could barley walk

Was supposed to put cattle in today ... safe to say they are outside tonight!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,701 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Fair play was going through Dublin Airport earlier and there was a good few with Dublin marathon half zips, all with big smiles on their faces

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,859 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

...... and the barman says - "Why the long face?"

'If I ventured in the slipstream, Between the viaducts of your dream'

And the horse downed the Guinness anyway..😂

My father used to bring a mare to a stallion where they'd give it Guinness. Not sure it helped the animal though. I think it was a hail Mary as a last resort.

He went a little too far bringing in the animal into the pub though. Especially in social media age. Good for him and publicity. But there'll be antis now more determined against horse racing. Bit of an own goal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,642 ✭✭✭roosterman71

Yer right about the anti crowd having ammunition. However, life is too short. Too many of us are going around NOT doing things for fear of a backlash from some anti-this or anti-that shower of busybodies. He brought a horse to a pub. Neither man nor beast were in danger, hurt, crippled, dead as a result.

I'm not taking the anti stance but he brought a racehorse into the pub. It wasn't a dozy oul cob or hunter.

He obviously knows the temperament of the horse. But I wouldn't be complimenting him for doing so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,947 ✭✭✭farawaygrass

as you said he obviously knows the temperament of the horse. If something went wrong he would be slated. But nothing went wrong so I can’t see any problem.

the whole anti brigade are getting very frustrating and a lot of way of life is being looked down on.

as said many times, let the anti brigade in this situation focus on the neglected and mis treated animals first before they come after a very well looked after and handled racehorse that they know nothing about.

• Registered Users Posts: 682 ✭✭✭farmertipp

the antis get too much oxygen anyway I suppose.

Final say on this before I find the next online argument.😅

Willie Mullins, Jim Bolger nor Henry De Bromhead wouldn't have done this.

The generation before me grew up afraid to say anything due to the fear of the church now my generation are afraid to say anything for fear of offending anyone at all these days.

Better living everyone

McCoy was the ultra professional during his time as a jockey. Paul carberry was the polar opposite as in he partied hard, and done things his way. (Not saying Paul wasn’t dedicated but I think you know where I’m coming from). Both excelled during their career. There is no roadmap to success.

also Shark is a character, we don’t want to lose them or life would be very boring.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭Lime Tree Farm

With the exception of if it being related to farming , then it's open season

• Registered Users Posts: 1,424 ✭✭✭Wildsurfer

Would a pub be much different to a winning enclosure after a big win with lads whooping and hollering and jumping around the place!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

Mod note; ok lads let’s park this one, no need to fall out over someone else’s horse having a pint.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

Ridicilous liberal carry on. Next thing there'll be horses in Supermacs and on the Luas.😁

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭Cllr_Dermod_Fahy

Well fellas, I'll be getting the green cert in the next couple years. Just wondering is there any start up grants or is it only the TAMs 60% grant and the 25% young farmer scheme top up that you can get?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭148multi

Well geese and swans appears to be where the money is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,748 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

Good to see that obnoxious fascist loose the election in Brazil - though I fear him and the nasties that support him will cause trouble yet like MAGA in the US

My cow is still sitting up. I’ve her in the hay barn for a bit of shelter. Hoping time will help her heal. I gave her some sun relief/anti inflammatories this evening.

we replaced our dog that died a few months ago.- an Irish/Welsh terrier cross. A lovely quiet dog. My lads are delighted. My little boy named her fluffy and it has stuck. My youngest is delighted as the two have the same curly hair. 😂

Did you find it hard finding that new dog? On the lookout for a new small dog here too for the young ones and with no ads allowed anymore it’s difficult enough

• Registered Users Posts: 682 ✭✭✭farmertipp

it funny. he and the greens/ vegan types have so much in common in their approach and tolerance of those who don't agree with them. both fascists

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,490 ✭✭✭Jb1989

Www.Dogs.ie

Tho I still believe there is enough dogs suitable In dog shelters for small money, instead of paying hundreds for others of private sellers.

• Advertisement

Got it on dogs.ie

We were just on the lookout. I wasn’t sure about a replacement for the old dog but oh wanted one. She wanted an old English sheepdog or a St. Bernard. The first is t good with children and you’d want to be a millionaire to feed the second one.

this lady showed up- she’s just shy of 6 months-breeder didn’t realise the adverts expired. Oh visited her and all was kosher. Depending where you live, there is one left in the litter in Pallasgreen in limerick. I can’t get over how quiet she is.

Advertisement