Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Luas Line 'improvements'

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,518 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

If there were trams running from Sandyford to The Point and vica versa (and presumably you'd also want trains from Sandyford/Broombridge to Heuston onwards) doesn't that just dramatically reduce the frequency of core routings?

e.g., looking to do your normal Point to Kylemore trip home, currently every tram is suitable. Under your system the first tram might be Point to Sandyford, the next one Point to Broombridge, annoying. The 3rd one is Point to Tallaght, fantastic - but when it gets to Abbey St it has to queue behind a Broombridge to Tallaght tram and a Sandyford to Tallaght tram.

The current system with a quick change at Abbey/O'Connell if you need to do an indirect trip seems much more sensible to me. Your way it becomes a cumbersome system where you almost have to follow a timetable and get a specific tram.

I'd be surprised if any networks actually operate this way?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,939 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

If there was to be a network, then it would need more than two lines crossing.

Many of the suggestions are worthy, and would contribute a lot to the ability of the Luas to carry people to many destination within the canals with perhaps just one change, or even no change.

How would one get from Dolphins Barn or Heuston or UCD, or even DCU to Griffith College or GCD?

Maybe, the Metro might help, but the Luas is a system that should allow short distance journeys to be quick and direct. It is not really suitable for long commutes from Tallaght to UCD or Broomfield.

Dublin had a wonderful tram system a century ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭cuttingtimber22

The LUAS already operates like this to a certain extent (there are spurs on the red line and the green line trams do not always run the full route) and I have seen it in cities like Amsterdam. Brussels has a pre metro which also has this to a certain extent.

And yes for this to work there needs to be far greater frequency and less cars in the city centre. The interchange at abbey street as someone who uses it is not great to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭brianc89

I don't believe the Red and Green lines will ever connect up directly at OCS. Right now the lines are only connected in a very limited direction.

It would simply cause too much disruption to change this, as both lines would be closed temporarily and buses would also be impacted.

Even if they did this, I'm not sure Bus Connects would be happy, as you would create new conflicts on OCS with trams turning into Abbey.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,638 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Amsterdam works like this, with various routes cris-crossing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,638 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

That is why running the Red Line from James Street down Dame Street to College Green makes sense. That allows an interchange better.

What do people think of this idea? Extension from James down to Dame Street / College Green, plus a spur over to Heuston West.

Given the Dart+ plans for Heuston West, that station will need a better connection to Heuston Main. I don't think the main road in front of Heuston cut handle another Luas line, so perhaps a short tunnel section emerging in the underdeveloped Guinness area.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,034 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

You do realise that the DART SW service will split between Phoenix Park tunnel services and Heuston (main station) terminators?

• Advertisement

Have they provided a guide on how the services will be split? I can't find one.

There will be significantly higher demand to use Phoenix Park Tunnel to connect with Metro and Dart+ West at Glasnevin, and the Docklands at New Spencer Dock.

One would assume Heuston West will have a higher percentage of Dart trains rather than trains terminating at Heuston Main. Heuston is not an end destination for many, I don't think?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,034 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

We haven’t got to the stage of detailed service plans being published yet, but plenty of people use Heuston as it is from commuter services as well as the Phoenix Park Tunnel services.

There is a need for both - anyone going to locations west of O’Connell Bridge would find Heuston main station more useful, as they can walk or take the LUAS or bus onwards from there.

There is provision for several electrified platforms in Heuston main station in the DART SW plans to facilitate this, hence I don’t think you necessarily need to go to the lengths of building a LUAS line to Heuston West.

I found this in FAQ section of Dart+ site. Sounds like 2-thirds of services will go via PPT. Based on that, I think there's a strong argument for a better connection to Heuston Main and onwards. If not a Luas, maybe the H-spine could terminate there.

The platforms which are being electrified in Heuston are 6, 7 & 8 which are a 5min walk to the Luas, plus up to 5min waiting for a Luas - that's a relatively poor connection.

Advertisement