Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Who'd live in a house like this? Part 2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,437 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

• Registered Users Posts: 897 ✭✭✭Addmagnet

Likely taken when the properties were newly-built, before someone badly cleaned off the graffiti.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

I like it, including the gated off look. Perfect for an unsocial creature such as myself. If anything, I'd like if they had the option to go total block, like a sliding mechanism that closes over the holes. Interior, is a bit bleak and cold looking, but nothing a nice bit of personal decor wouldn't resolve. If you're buying a house for close to a million, you can probably afford to decorate it.

What struck me was how easy it would be to hoover! Bonus points in my book, I hate having to move crap to clean and this looks nice and without gaps or crevices for dirt to get stuck. However, negative points for all the glass (PITH to clean, but may be resolved with window cleaning robots) and white. Won €12 on the Euromillions, just a small bit more tomorrow night and I'll buy it.

• Registered Users Posts: 897 ✭✭✭Addmagnet

I read that as

Won €12 million on the Euromillions, just a small bit more tomorrow night and I'll buy it.

and was wondering why you felt the need for a top-up!

😂

• Registered Users Posts: 29,343 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

I was the same - and wondered what you were still doing here, posting 🤣

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

I reckon I'd be off this for a few days at least if I won! Sign in from Japan or Canada to say hi.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,353 ✭✭✭.red.

I'd be over in the Algarve posting ads to 6 bed villas with massive gardens and pools asking...........who'd live in a house like this? ME!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 30,545 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

• Registered Users Posts: 17,041 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

If it wasn't for the road/greenway outside the front door that could be an amazing home.

The kitchen, net curtains and the crap door in the archway would have to go, but it could be stunning. Pity it's so close to the greenaway. 😑

• Registered Users Posts: 30,545 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

My thinking also, they could have cleaned the bath also!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

Imagine some nice day going out sitting on the hammock for some peace and quiet and every few minutes people walking by. And it's not like a field away it's right up on top of you. Not for me at all. I would move to the countryside for peace and quiet, pointless otherwise.

Photo 28... a washing machine below the oven?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,122 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Mixed feelings about that one, firstly I think Greenways are fantastic facilities and love to see them, I also love when old public/industrial/commercial buildings get cleverly repurposed instead of going derelict. However I think that building might need a change of use from residential to commercial, a café and/or a bike rental. Looking at the location, it'd definitely be more cyclists using it then walkers. Nearest main station, erm I mean town, is Abbeyfeale which is a fair drive away.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,458 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Agreed, it would make a great cafe with possibly a small apartment above, or in the little cottage affair.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,563 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

There is already a lot of facilities on the Greenway. You are no distance from Barnagh where there is a cafe and bike stop ( a bus drops and collects bikes and cyclists to carry them back to there cars or start the journey to where there cars are)

There is already a stop in place at Templeglantine. Templeglantine to Barnagh is only 4km and Abbeyfeale is only 9 km. Also I would doubt if you would be allowed access to the Greenway. For your own personal use you could put a pedestrian exit but there is a fence along the whole lenght

That property is over priced IMO. At 380k even with the little apartment it fairly expensive for the area. The disadvantages are obvious. The site seems to be only 50-80' squeezed between the Greenway and the road. And at a guess the back of the house is North facing.

Of the site was a bit wider the back of the house South facing it would have much more potential. Greenway are inherently safe an 6-10 years old would have a great time at Christmas after getting a go-kart or bicycle.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 14,296 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

380k seems crazy for a dated building that needs work in rural limerick. Is there 100k tacked on for the novelty of it being a former station??

I would not agree that it is dated. The property is in excellent condition. However the main issue is it is Ber exempt. Who ever did up the house and apartment never insulated it. There is a lot of exposed sine inside, beautiful to look at but can mean that the house is very poorly insulated.

If it had been insulated on the inside with very limited exposed stone it would be more attractive.

Building that are Ber exempt should get a Ber test done if C/ D or better they should let it be known if this Ber is achieved by good insulation installation.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 2,461 ✭✭✭Citizen  Six

Two holiday rental properties, right on the greenway. Surely that's why it's priced that high.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,788 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

I was just about to comment about the price. Fcukin hell, that's expensive for what it is.

And it doesn't look like a cosy house. I felt cold looking at it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,788 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

€280k would still be expensive for what it is and where it is.

• Advertisement

It looks far from in good condition to me. Most of what's in it, I'd rip out. Whoever "tastefully restored" it, made a pigs ear of it.

Like I said earlier, washing machine under a built in oven ?!??

Some of the electrics don't look great either.

If bought for a fair price, it'd make a decent Air B'n'B so.

They have limited rental yields. The apartment is a one bed I think so would suit couples but what can you charge, however remember it is not directly on the Greenway. As an Airbnb after costs would it yield 10-12k/ year net.

The washing machine is under the oven in the apartment. That is not a huge issue. I think a lot of buyers out there will have to start to understand when you buy a second hand house you are buying a second hand house. The idea that when you do you tear everything out and redecorate completely comes at a cost.

As I said the property is overpriced due to its location and it Ber rating it decor is a matter of personal taste. I would not like some of it but if I was buying there is other much more serious issues

It's unsuitable as a family home as it's only two bed with a third bedroom in the apartment which is not attached. It might suit a couple with no children and an elderly parent using the apartment as a granny flat. However the apartment is two story.

Buying as an investment property at that price has limited yield especially taking labour into account. Has it got a potential net yield of 25-30k, from a figures wise that may seems ok but the labour input is the killer someone has to be there to give access and cleaning

The biggest problem as a home are it's a squeezed site between the Greenway and the public road( it probably a quite ish road from the Google map) because of this you have no privacy and the south side of the house is facing the Greenway.

The decor inside a house is personal taste it something that can be changed fairly cheaply. To upgrade to a fairly decent Ber C/D you would have to completely redo the I side of the house.

You cannot change the orientation of the house or the site. If these were right I would not be worried about an oven over a f@@king washing machine especially if I was going to rent it as an Airbnb let.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 5,034 ✭✭✭Deeec

There is alot wrong with this house. I dont agree that this could be fixed up cheaply. To start off with it has solid fuel heating - I only see a teeny, tiny stove and no radiaters whatsoever so it would be expensive and problematic to put in a proper heating system. As it is that house would be an ice box in the winter. The kitchen, bathroom etc is poorly finished. I wouldnt trust the electrics or plumbing work either. As it is its not value for money.

Talking about outrageous prices

So €600 per half of a couple and the apartment isn't entirety yours.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,461 ✭✭✭Citizen  Six

€2400 for the whole apartment I guess. Jesus. I know it's the heart of Galway, but still. Doesn't even have a ring road.

You said it was in excellent condition. It's not.

Some of the brick work looks like it is crumbling and in one of the bathrooms, it looks like the ivy is growing through the wall. Unless that's supposed to be part of the "decor"?

Its an overpriced dump.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

I wonder is that their own roofing area(like you get in a pent house) or a common area for the apartments.

Believe it or not I would say the Iivybis part of the décor. As for the brick....it's 150 years old. Its a refurbished old rural railway station turned into a dwelling.

Anybody doing them up decides what they want to keep visible and what they want to cover up.

As I said if you bother reading my previous post Indicatedvtgdt it was Ber exempt and this was a problem as if it was berC/D it would have been indicated on the website. I also said it was over priced. No matter what heating system you put in that house you have a problem because the insulation is a huge issue.

If you insulate externally you lose the complete stone look of the house, you cannot insulate inside without ripping out everything that is the main issue.

Its a basic flaw people have made in doing up old stone houses for the last twenty years. They often never insulate on the inside. You can leave some stone/ bricks exposed but you must insulate the rest. Cut stone building like this are way colder than lime rendered ones.

Therefore the decor and even the heating system is the least of your problems. Decor is a matter of personal taste and you also have to factor in when it was originally refurbished

I expect with all the pine about twenty years ago. Generally I dislike pine but it can be painted over.

But even after changoall.that you are left with the squashed site which you cannot change

Slava Ukrainii

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭Mullinabreena

What's this about or how would this come about? It seems strange

https://www.daft.ie/for-sale/site-tonaphubble-hollywell-road-sligo-co-sligo/4498087

Advertisement