Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Tesla Model Y

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 65,386 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

That would be interesting. From what I remember, the blade battery has already gone to Berlin, but I don't think there are plans to use them in Chinese cars for now (even though they are substantially cheaper for Tesla to buy)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,034 ✭✭✭Casati

Realistically what range will that be on motorway in winter - driving at 120kmph? Came v close to Model 3 last year but have a dog. I need to do 640km in a day generally once or twice a month, with approx 400km of that at 120kmph+. Any idea how long I would need to spend at Ballacolla?

V keen on the Y due to size/ price/ spec combo but honestly trying to work out Tesla USP - cheaper fast charing?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭joe1303l

Obviously, charging time is part dependent on where your travelling to/from. ABRP should give you a good estimate if you input the required information accurately.

300km is probably a fairly reliable motorway estimate for a 55kWh Model Y, maybe a little more in summer weather.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,313 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Not a chance at 120kmh IMHO. The Australians are only getting mid 300’s on the RWD over there in every day mixed driving.

My old Model S P90DL would do 320km (house to Belfast and back) on a single charge once I kept to 110ish and that’s a substantially bigger battery although maybe a bit less efficient but not that much at motorway speeds

Supercharging, like all other fast charging is pretty expensive. Not that this matters much as most EV owners do more then 90% of their charging at home with cheap night rate electricity or even for free from the sun. So I wouldn't call that a USP for Tesla. The Supercharger network is though, it is very reliable and there are no queues. This is a big bonus compared to non-Teslas, particularly if you do a lot of long distance driving or if you ever take your car to the UK or to continental Europe. The system is integrated in the car's sat nav, so you would never have to plan your trip like you would with any non-Tesla EV. The car even prepares itself for charging by pre-conditioning the battery just before arrival at the Supercharger and telling you how long you will need to stop and charge for

WLTP test only briefly touches on 120km/h (the US EPA test is better this way) so it's not really a good indicator of motorway range. The Model Y is extremely aerodynamic, which helps though. That said, I'd say at 120km/h in winter, you'd be lucky to get 300km range, but I'm guessing. Maybe someone on here with a Model 3 with the LiFePO4 battery can share their experience, it will be similar enough

If your trip has Ballacolla (or any other Supercharger) bang in the middle of the trip, you could do your trip with just the one stop, would probably take about 45 minutes, again guessing how long it takes from near empty to near full, again maybe a Model 3 owner with the LiFePO4 battery can share their experience.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 875 ✭✭✭mun1

My current Audi Q4 (77KWh battery ) doesn’t do 300km when driving at 120kph in winter, more like 280km. Really doesn’t like anything above 110kph and cold weather (battery gets heated at temp below 10 deg)

drove to Dublin airport and back last week at night in bad weather and driving at 110kph on motorway (temp set to 18C gave me consumption of 23kwh/100km over the 217km ( 66% of battery each way).

Wind was against me both ways :)

if i drive at 120kph it would easily go up to 26kwh/100km

lack of pre heater is a killer imo.

just did a small trip (14km )after getting wet at a match and put temp to 20C and seat heater on , driving in semi urban traffic , consumption went upto 26kwh/100km average for trip.

heating the cabin in Q4 obviously draws a lot of power.

From reviews id hope the MY betters this as its more aerodynamic and has efficient preheater.

any thoughts ?

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭jordan191

I do a 300km round trip fairly regularly in my 21 M3p, pre condition and heat car before I leave and if I stay at 110 km/hr I normally return home with 25% battery left, so real world range of 400km

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭Eireann81

In my Sept RWD M3, I do a 200km trip twice a week on the motorway. At 120km/h, 200km uses 60-75% of the battery depending on the weather. The energy app tells me that if I do the 200km journey at 110km/h, I'd save only 7% so I'm happy enough to sit at 120. With the added weight and larger wheels on the Model Y, I'd expect 10% shorter range on the Y.

Yea, M3P has an 82 kWh battery and is more efficient than the MY. My M3P is averaging 19.8kw/100km over 4000km since I got it. My 2016 P90DL was 32kw/100km for the same driving patterns.

Great to get the real life experiences. Ballacolla is about 220km so I could charge there, drive approx another 220k from there to Dublin and back before charging to get home. Sounds like each charge stop would take me about 45 mins as the battery would realistically have <10% left after 220km? Probably not really that feasible as it adds a lot of time to an already long day.

Realistically I would need a Long Range which would reduce charging speed but it would blow the budget!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,279 ✭✭✭MightyMunster

You'd do that with 2 x 20min stops in a long range. In a standard range you'd be quicker with more but shorter stops e.g. in Kill as well as Ballacolla.

220km should be more than achievable at 120kmh so that plan should work out well.

Any option for charging while in Dublin as that would remove any fear or doubts about the trip.

Stopping more than once each way, when I’m driving 600km+ round trip and doing a few business meetings wouldn’t be feasible, I generally never stop either way so stopping twice would be a big change. Will probably hold off and keep filling with diesel for another year.

Cant see any chance of charging in Dublin too unless I go out of my way to find a charger but that likely wouldn’t help as I won’t make it home in a single charge anyway

You won’t have to go out of your way to find a charger in Dublin I don’t think , where will you be while at these meetings?

It may mean the difference between stopping for twice as long on the way and most likely cheaper to charge too.

but I have to be honest, I wouldn’t be buying an EV it I had to stop or use public charging regularly as it will eventually get on your nerves. Be different using public charging when on a once a month drive/trip or something but if your doing it weekly, then no, I’m out.

Bit another also, I’d hate to be in a job where I had to force 600km trips in one day. That’s my idea of a nightmare!

Post edited by Gumbo on

• Registered Users Posts: 3,647 ✭✭✭...Ghost...

If it's not feasible, you have your answer. Last year, I regularly drove 600+km per day. I've a strong bladder, but even I would have to stop for a wee and bite to eat if I planned to be civil with clients. The company was paying but had I been in an ev with decent range, they would have saved a fortune on fuel and maintenance.

Stay Free

There are EVs with over 600km range, but I'd say they are outside of your pay package ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 21,989 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

EQS would do that without stopping if you drove reasonably in the summer, and would need likely only one 10-15 minute Ionity stop in the winter

• Registered Users Posts: 1,999 ✭✭✭Spipov

anyone’s financing gone through? Got approved and the dude said he’d contact tesla directly, i dont have a reference number, how long before i should start pestering for that as nothing shows in my tesla account and ive sent one unanswered email already. Its finance ireland.

i just want to make sure i dont leave it too late

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭staples7

And just to jump on the back of that question. If a deposit is put on a Tesla, at what stage do they look for full payment?

• Advertisement

Just heard that the Tesla Model Y was the best selling car in Europe in September. That's incredible. Of course Tesla delivers most cars in end of quarter months, but still pretty amazing. Because let's be honest, it's not a cheap car like a Yaris or a Golf.

Did Musk really say that the Model Y would at some point be the best selling car in the world? Sounds preposterous, but wouldn't totally surprise me if that happened next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,279 ✭✭✭MightyMunster

Model 3 will be in the top few best selling cars this year, maybe 3rd? Model Y isn't far behind, should be in top 6 or 7

Model Y at roughly the same price as a Model 3 will outsell the latter many times once it is available in big numbers

I suspect this is a short term price, and will change from July onwards as the grant changes.

Yes the €5k grant should have been long gone, people are buying EVs anyway and as many as we can get. See the imho overpriced BMW i4, great car, but not an EV build from the ground up, so compromised. And expensive (not qualifying for the grant) and about to get yet another significant price increase of several thousand EUR, already had another one earlier this year. Yet the people are killing each other on the waiting list for one

And you are right of course, every €1k drop in grant next July would mean a €1k increase of the Model Y's price. Same as for all other qualifying EVs, if demand for EVs will still be higher than supply, why would the manufacturer absorb this when the consumer is more than willing to pay. My main reason for ordering the Model Y is that it is now a lot of car for the money (I didn't expect it to become this cheap) and the disappearing grant is a large cushion against depreciation. So indeed a choice of the head over the heart on this one. If BMW had had an i4 version with availability, qualifying for the grant, I would have likely bought that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭rx8

Spotted a Red 222D one last night in Pearse St. Had the black induction wheels and white interior, looked absolutely stunning. Can't wait till February now.

Anyone on here..??

Almost €80k car with those options. Madness if you ask me! Will probably be worth just €60k after a year. I guess some people have more than enough money not to have to worry about these things. Unfortunately I'm not one of them 😂

Red is a fab colour alright and one of the best to contrast the white interior white, alongside blue.

lovely but the performance Y is less than 5k more. I can't see why anyone would buy the LR Y

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5 ismailkho

The standard range Model Y has similar range, performance and space as the Jag Ipace, Audi Etron, Merc EQC but comes in at around half the price starting at $39,000. Obviously the other three will have better build quality and interiors but how much interior quality does $40,000 extra buy! As for the long range and performance Model Y, it blows the other three out of the water on range and acceleration for $57,000. The Model Y Specs has a 7 seat option too which the others don't as far as I know.

Advertisement