Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland running out of accommodation for Ukrainian refugees due to surge in non-Ukrainian refugees?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,007 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Never suggested it was a hotel room, hotel room or hotel is moot to the point I highlighted and replied to which you obviously still haven't read.

I'll help you.

What is the issue with being moved from a hotel ? My guess is and it can be the only reason… they’d have to start cooking, cleaning, washing, drying, supermarket shopping etc…. Putting the shoulders to the wheel of life and making an effort

Obviously the posters claim of "the only reason" is completely nonsensical.

I have posted no misinformation or half truths.

Also they are asylum seekers not refugees.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,798 ✭✭✭goose2005

Being in a school gives them a foot in the door, as it can be used to argue against deportation. TBH it's already too late to do anything, once they have made it in they're our responsibility for life, with housing, healthcare, welfare etc. all to be paid for.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,496 ✭✭✭Luxembourgo

Are they still safe from whatever they are seeking asulym from?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,437 ✭✭✭HBC08

"Might be beneficial to actually read the article, they have been moved to another hotel."

That's your own quote.

I'm not looking to get into a big argument about that as it's not a matter of opinion or debate,its a sports hall with beds and cubicles,has never been or is not now a hotel.There are vids available of what's been happening at the arena since last weds night.

I gave you the benefit of the doubt as to how you might think it's a hotel as perhaps you're not familiar with the area This sports arena is on the same compound as two hotels (one of which has been converted to a Ukrainian refugee centre)

• Advertisement

As regards moving anyone with children in school, the obvious time to do it is during the summer when there will be much less disruption to schooling etc. Holds true for asylum seekers, homeless etc. the problem is thats also the time when civil servants in the relevant departments are taking their summer holidays.

Its impossible to have a system where any amount of people can rock up and you are expected to house them and not have to play muscial beds when the system gets incredibly crowded like it is currently.

You have to wonder if South Africa is as violent as we're always being told by asylum seekers that it is, why does Ireland have visa free travel with them, should there not be an advisory that Irish citizens should not go to this country if its as violent as these people are leading us to believe.

I was reading that Michael Martin wants the justice portfolio after his stint as Taoiseach, FFS can we not have someone competent for once.

The woman said their new accommodation was in a cubicle in a sports arena at the hotel

I think you are just been ultra pedantic for the sake of it, it adds nothing to the discussion nor has it anything to do with the point I replied to.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,437 ✭✭✭HBC08

We often agreed on things on other threads or at least managed to keep it civil.

Let me just point out once again the Arena is not or never was a hotel,its a large sports hall with bunk beds and cubicles.It is not a hotel.

The reason this is relevant is the government are now putting refugees (in this case "international protection " refugees in makeshift accommodation like this.This particularly family (probably understandably) don't want to downgrade from where they now which is a hotel.

This isn't a Gotcha moment,as mentioned on other threads I'm very familiar with the complex at Breaffy.Its no harm to say you got that bit wrong.Ive even made plausible excuses for you as to why you may have been confused!

I don't think accommodation like this should be offered in the first place but I also don't think those apparently fleeing persecution should be taking the state to court because they don't like the digs.

Who told them they would be living in that hotel for life and supported all the way? Who is paying the legal fees on top of all other expenses? How many more refugee families are going to be taking cases?

Public opinion has most definitely shifted on this and that means political policy will follow.Even though we're a soft touch in this country politicians still like to keep their jobs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭F34

From the indo article:

The children made friends at their local schools and joined social and sporting activities.

The children have been “traumatised” by the 200km move and are not yet enrolled in local schools, the mother said.

Mother doesn’t seem able to keep her sob story straight which bodes really well for their actual asylum claim

Whether it's on the grounds of a hotel, beside a hotel or in a hotel it has nothing to with my point.

Again they are asylum seekers not refugees, in a discussion framed around entitlements it's a very important distinction.

Who told them they would be living in that hotel for life and supported all the way?

I doubt they were told that, illogical and nonsensical.

Who is paying the legal fees on top of all other expenses?

It doesn't state, I could speculate and suggest refugee council or other.

How many more refugee families are going to be taking cases?

The same as this? Who knows. I'd suggest zero as for the life of me I can't work out what actual laws or procedures were contravened.

Public opinion has most definitely shifted on this and that means political policy will follow.Even though we're a soft touch in this country politicians still like to keep their jobs.

Are we?

We just suspended certain asylum rules for 12 months and we aren't fulfilling other programmes we said we would.

• Advertisement

Meanwhile in the UK, they have local councils suing the home office for block booking hotels in prime tourist locations

• Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭Mullaghteelin

It's been 15 years since certain communities were first expected to take a sudden influx of refugees, without the infrastructure and services to cope. The media went crazy when a sizeable number of children could not be accommodated in Balbriggan primary schools. Even the BBC took an interest in the story, accusing the schools of racism.

However, most of the country didn't care, because it wasn't in their own back yards. That was 2007!

I find it hilarious that many people have only now recognised the problems caused by a sudden population surge in a small community, but only because it's affecting them personally.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,544 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Arrive in July and are taking a court case 3 months later because something doesn't suit them.

Wonder who is footing the bill for this court case?

I reckon by the time the next election is called immigration will be a topic that can't be just ignored.

Although at the rate people are arriving here who knows what sort of a state the country will be in by 2025

• Registered Users Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭F34

Can’t help if you can’t read I’m afraid.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,549 ✭✭✭Real Donald Trump

Anyone know what happened here? Murder at hotel housing refugee's.

https://www.rte.ie/news/ulster/2022/1101/1332611-monaghan-body/

• Registered Users Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

Colonel Mustard with the lead pipe in the library?

Or maybe wait for the police investigation.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,549 ✭✭✭Real Donald Trump

This is just start, when you have people pouring into a country without proper checks this is what you get.

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭Yonce

According to rescue.org

''An asylum seeker is someone who has fled their home in search of safety and protection in another country."

So yes I would like to think we've played our part...

• Registered Users Posts: 16,362 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

I reckon by the time the next election is called immigration will be a topic that can't be just ignored.

What if all the major parties are on roughly the same page on the issue and want to keep if off the agenda as far as possible?

• Advertisement

And also all the media organisations involved in debates and interviews similarly don't want it discussed

• Registered Users Posts: 3,719 ✭✭✭seenitall

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭Honesty Policy

If only, just if only, as an island nation that we could use our strong borders to protect our citizens and vet people coming here! Nope, the government have the gravy speed train open for all who want a free pass with 1st class treatment and you pick up the tab!

Disturbance at a hotel wherein the 'residents' are getting everything handed to them. What the fook are they fighting over! They add no value to this society. Sucking even more resources out of this country to investigate and try this!

Post edited by Honesty Policy on

• Registered Users Posts: 2,232 ✭✭✭waterwelly

"Treasure Ireland" is what we are known as internationally.

All the irish natives will need our own asylum in a few years if this continues. Overcrowding hospital, minister saying with over 12000 new kids education budget short 300 million.

Cant get a hotel for a holiday.

Maybe we could all fly the short hop of first country asylum to Aftica of 9 thousand odd miles.

Maybe there the fleeing Irish will get free hotels and money and have a bit of heat on our backs from the climate.

Actually sounds like Heaven instead of working 40 hours a week and still not having an arse in your trousers!

lol. You embarrassingly misunderstood the content of the article and here you are accusing me of not being able to read. 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 551 ✭✭✭Hungry Burger

The thing is I doubt this would even have been tolerated 25-30 years ago, we really have become a soft touch of a nation and if our closest neighbours are anything to go off of, this will continue to go on and on and on.

This government is genuinely the worst I’ve seen in a long time, full of woke ideologues and idealistic lunatics, so far detached from reality it is scary. All we ever get from them is mantras like “no cap on refugees” or “Just 2 more weeks to flatten the curve”

Hard times coming.

Plenty of hotels in Ireland, just look at booking.com.

Its high time the government seize these hotels and put refugees in them, no need for anyone to live in tents. We are in a crisis.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,892 ✭✭✭enricoh

Yup, I think we blew the boom - again! There was a homeless report out recently that we are back at record levels. Now that flights are back to normal after covid it's business as usual. 50% of the homeless list weren't born in Ireland.

The minister over direct provision Roderick o Gorman this time last year reiterated that he wanted all asylum seekers to have their own accomodation and full welfare within 4 months of arrival. At the same time the Brits were rigging up sending them to Rwanda. Who could have guessed we'd be inundated this year n the guy is still in his job!

When the corporation tax dries up we are up s&#t creek as the third most indebted country in the developed world.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,841 ✭✭✭TomTomTim

Sounds like a plan. I'm sure the African's will be glad of the added diversity and the cultural enrichment that they'll receive.

“The man who lies to himself can be more easily offended than anyone else. You know it is sometimes very pleasant to take offense, isn't it? A man may know that nobody has insulted him, but that he has invented the insult for himself, has lied and exaggerated to make it picturesque, has caught at a word and made a mountain out of a molehill--he knows that himself, yet he will be the first to take offense, and will revel in his resentment till he feels great pleasure in it.”- ― Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Brothers Karamazov

Advertisement