Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Domestic Solar PV Quotes 2022 - No PM requests - See Mod note post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2 johmwh

Hi folks, I'm new to this forum but great content! I'm about to start getting quotes but I had a couple of questions

• Registered Users Posts: 2 johmwh

Hi, just starting the process of getting quotes which I will share here soon. I have a few of questions first which will help me get started ..

My roof is primarily east/west facing, with a small area south facing,probably get a max of 3 panels on it due to velux wundows and shading. My annual consumption is 5.6 kWh, what would be your recommendeed total PV system power output?

I have 3 phase supply with a night rate meter, it was fitted in the house when I bought it. The 3 phases are wired to the breaker box, but I don't know if all circuits or just 1 phase are utilized in the house. The highest load would be an electric oven. Should I get a 3 phase inverter if I want to sell power back to the grid or get a 22kW EV charger so I can use some excess PV output to partially charge the car?

Is there any downside of mounting solar panels horizontally rather than verrically in terms of efficiency?

Apart from backup power, is it still recommended to get battery storage, given that one can sell back to the grid now? If so, what would be a recommended battery size given my 5.6kWh annual consumption? I don't want to over specify the battery size as it will impact the ROI.

Many thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,528 ✭✭✭bullit_dodger

Panels generate money, batteries or eddies don't.

Generally, that's true - but it sort of depends on the user case. How much you use? When do you use it? How much are you paying for the battery and capacity of the battery. Using a battery in the winter to charge at night (or low rate if on a smart meter) and then using that battery to avoid paying high/peak rates later on in the day can "generate money" in effect.

My own 8.2Kwhr battery saves me about €1.20/day off my bill from late Oct-> early March, so my bills are smaller as a result. Payback is always an issue, but for me it's not about 5 years or 10 years. I know I'll get break even eventually

Incidentally, I've yet to see a cent in a FIT payment, and by all accounts moving from SSE to Energia to take advantage of their excellent EV deal (€0.08c/unit night), it looks like SSE won't pay be for my FIT even though I was a customer from Feb -> Sept with them and in my eyes eligible for a FIT deemed export. So FIT has yet to realize itself (for me anyway)

That said, (generally) batteries aren't the bonus feature they were 12 months ago. Back then I'd have said, "Everyone should get a battery" - now I'm in the .... "it depends camp". If looking and your an average house, I'd say 5Kwhr is the way to go. Smaller and your paying for the Hybrid inverter cost without fully getting the advantage of the battery capacity, larger and you really need to have the comsumption (heat pump etc)

If tight though on money - as Ackwel says.......spend everything on filling the roof with solar panels. For reals.

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭fearrchair

What would you say then to under sizing the Inverter to the PV panels. Don't they say to get that sweep spot you should aim for 33% more than the invertor rating eg 6.56kW on a 5kW or 7.98kW on a 6kW, as a lot of the time your not going to be getting peak etc, seem some even push it peak of the invertor where you would be clipping, I mentioned this to an installer and he told me no they wouldnt install an invertor like that as it would be under pressure. (eg 7.5kW on a 5kW) and I can understand his concern for warrenty.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭MAULBROOK

€100 difference between the two. Just go for the 6kw.

• Advertisement

Just got this quote, I have gotten others but not as many panels and for 5-6kW, I need to scale up the others to compare etc.

There is a battery not sure what value is attached to it that would add to the price.

22 x 370w JA panels Monocrystalline = 8.1kwp system

1x 6kw Solis Hybrid inverter with wifi dongle

1 x 5.1kw Dyness

Doesnt include BER, or Hot water heating, car charger etc.

€15,550 including Vat before Grant.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,169 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

That's a good price. Get a few more quotes but suspect that won't be bettered.

I had this one as well that seem to be competitive to others...

5kWh Battery at Cost 3450

Additional panels 270 each

1. 12 Jinko 415 W panels.  415W Tiger Neo N-type 54Cell AB
    2. K2 mounting system.
    3. 1 Huawei Hybrid inverter or Simalar
    4. 1 Fireman switch.
    5. 1 Isolation switch.
    6. 1 Check Meter
    7. 1 Eddie water diverter.
    8. New power supply to inverter.
    9. 1 fireproof mounting board.
    10. 1 Battery powered fire alarm.
    11. BER cert to be provided by client after installation.
    12. All scaffolding or otherwise as required.

Cost including Vat € 10,924.00 before grant.

It has the BER, Eddi, and was saying he'd fit the battery module without batt anyway although l don't see it there.

I plan on asking him so switch to a solis.

He has said he would put a double fused socket near the battery, something another installer said no or didn't know what l was asking.

I had felt this was not bad for a while now. Lead time is only a few months the other one is next June.

Having a ground source HP it's hard to know how much l need the eddi either especially when there's no EV. I have been looking if l do at possible wiring it as the myeddi example on their website where the HP has priority water heating and control.

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭borus22222

Hi all, do you have any quotes to install additional panels in Dublin? I'm thinking of expanding my current 14 panels for 2 extra (maximum possible on the roof). It's small enough so probably small hassle for installer. I got quote of 800€ for two extra panels installed which sounds too much

Post edited by borus22222 on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,279 ✭✭✭homingbird

If you install batteries with setup do they get solar charged by day when you are using power direct from panels so the more panel you can fit the better some for your direct use & the rest to charge the batteries for night-time use.

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭mickey15ie

What is the best battery provider available currently?

Asking again has anyone heard of cf energy batteries? They have a depth of discharge of 90℅

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭redmagic68

Currently €800 for two is a bit high but not excessive. Here 200-250 is mentioned a lot for an on the day upgrade and doesn’t seem achievable by a lot. They’re coming back to your roof so it’ll be more.

8.4 kwp east/west Louth,6kw sofar, 9.6kwh batt

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,090 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

Panels are running close to €150-200 + vat now for the new 400w ish ones.

You could easily end up spending the most of a day to either mount a new longer rail or extend the current rail. The actual connecting of panels is easy, getting the rest of the things ready is the slow bit.

BYD would by my call on that, been using them for 3 years now. No issue and very easy to expand. Next would be Puredrive but they have some firmware issues at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 dan6

After a few weeks of asking for quotes I think I'll go with this one:

• 19 x Jinko 410W N-Type

• 1 x 6kw Solis String Inverter

• Roof mounting equipment

• All labour works

• All electrical testing and commissioning

• BER Certification

8350 final price after Grant.

Post edited by dan6 on

• Registered Users Posts: 648 ✭✭✭Moreilly

That's not a bad quote, would you mind sending me a pm on the installer

Looking to pull the trigger hopefully this week and my head is melted getting quotes!!

Quotes are all over the place, especially if you are aware of the true cost of the inverters/panels/Eddi's and mounts ect.., there is serious cash being made on installing systems at the moment it seems!

• Registered Users Posts: 3 dan6

• Registered Users Posts: 648 ✭✭✭Moreilly

Would this be as good as the larger system, for comparision if you were to add 7 more panels @270 to it and the battery, I've another quote with a battery for 5200. I was looking to see the cost of a Dyness, are they under 2K for a 5kWh....

I have another Huawei PV system quote 5.81kW for 9,200 after the grant, 14 panels where he's looking for 5200 for a 5kWh battery, he mentioned 200 a panel for more on that...which would bring that up to 15200 then (7470KW, 18 panels). I mentioned to him about the Solis as some say its better and he was saying that they had a lot of trouble with them that the Huawei is 15 years in use etc. Might be less configurable so for them less to go wrong as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,412 ✭✭✭con747

That €5200 for a Huawei battery is nearly 2k over what it should be. I don't know why he say's Solis was a lot of trouble for him since most on here are using them with few enough issues.

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

Probably like any sales man when it suits if they are not using them. Its like when you would be buying a washing machine and if they thougth you were looking at the mid to high cost ones I wouldnt bother with those story. You'd nearly say who's buying them then ....lol

I did mention about the battery the last time he rang me a few weeks back and there was no move. If i was to knock off a few hundred for you and others the company would be asking me where the money gone...etc..

• Registered Users Posts: 6,412 ✭✭✭con747

You could nearly get 2 x 5kwh Puredrive batteries or similar for that price or a 20kwh DIY one! If it was me I would push for a Solis inverter so you can add your own batteries if you want. The Huawei inverter is very battery restrictive so stuck with a couple of expensive brands. It's hard to know these days though the way stock is what is best to do.

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

To translate, the Huawei is easier for US and the Solis is a all in one unit and WE can't up sell to make more money from YOU.

Huawei inverter plus battery battery ups plus backup for power failure plus limited to what battery you can use. All extra.

Solis, all of the above in one unit plus multiple types of battery can be used.

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭Blues14

Iv seen this guy on DoneDeal selling lifepro 4 solar battery’s will these work with most systems

https://www.donedeal.ie/view/32533743

Brand New Lifepo4 solar battery 51.2v 14.5 kwh

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭redmagic68

8.4 kwp east/west Louth,6kw sofar, 9.6kwh batt

Look to be

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4 JoeBillyBob

Hi - that does seem like a good quote - it is about 2-3k less than the best quotes i have had for a smaller system....

can you also PM the installer name ? - thanks

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement