Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Very windy and potentially stormy Weds 2-11-22

• 01-11-2022 6:50am
    Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 12,136 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Potential named storm on Weds bringing very strong or stormy winds up along Atlantic coastal counties from early Weds morning and very strong winds sweeping across the country from the S to SW and veering W along with heavy frontal squally rain , possibly the strongest winds in the afternoon which look set to become stormy up along Western and Northwestern counties with very strong winds sweeping across the Northern half of the country. Heavy rain in a short space of time in Western counties giving a flooding risk. Potential for isolated thunderstorms also behind the frontal rain in the unstable airmass more so along Atlantic counties but some possible inland also and along the Irish Sea. Severe and damaging gusts are possible along Atlantic counties and some severe gusts could occur for a time inland also bearing in mind that a lot of land is saturated at the moment and trees in leaf may become a hazard. Relatively quick moving system. Can expect winds gusting up to around 120 km/h along coasts with some higher gusts on exposed headlands, gusting 80 to 90 km/h overland with the possibility of higher gusts of around 100km/h in exposed or more elevated ground. Should be mostly cleared of the country by late evening.

Tagged:

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 60,622 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

Have been wondering if this would end up getting a thread, organising my week to be home out of it..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,940 ✭✭✭adocholiday

Any chance of upgrades or downgrades in the next 24 hours or is this more or less locked in? Doesn't look too significant for the east coast anyway. I saw Met Eireann had over 100kmph peak gusts forecast for South Wicklow last night but that's been revised down to 90 now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,217 ✭✭✭pauldry

Possible wind gusts of 120kph in Sligo area tomorrow evening may cause power outtages and some downed trees. Usually 120kph is where this sort of stuff happens.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 12,136 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Met Eireann obviously pouring over the charts and getting their forecasts ready, dufficult as said over on the charts thread as a split in the models but would have to side with the European hi - res models at this stage, although I dont know what to make of AROMES gust predictions, on to something or an outlier, next run crucial to see if it holds. If AROME verified could easily be Orange warnings for much of the country. By the way the ICON Hi Res and EU is stonker for the West, it is showing Red Warning Winds and very strong winds running accross the country.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 12,136 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

ICON-EU

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭ascophyllum

Does ICON always overestimate the gusts? The GFS has always been my top pick for wind - it ground truths very well against the observations from the met weather stations, e.g. if it predicts top gusts of 90 for west Connemara, Mace Head will often record exactly 90. Quite strange that it is so different to a lot of the European models at this time frame.

Not sure how relevant it is but I use windy.com when looking at forecasts and I generally ignore Icon and Meteoblue wind forecasts there because they're always overplayed in my experience. The other 3 are usually more aligned with reality.

No doubt ICON can overdo it with gusts , I find it has improved a bit of late and definitely the GFS close to the off is a very good guide and usually quite accurate, but when you see AROME and ICON showing very high gusts inland then maybe something is up.

WRF showing it very strong but not as strong as the European models but coming more in line I think.

ECM 06Z rolling out ( limitted 3hr'ly frames ) and not as strong as ICON by far, very windy along the coasts up around 120Km/h and gusting 80- 90km/h overland with some higher gusts possible on exposed or higher ground, very wet with heavy driving rain in the frontal passage and possibly squally with thunderstorms, heavy convective blustery or squally showers following.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,134 ✭✭✭dashoonage

Are we likely to see inland orange warnings anywhere?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭Hooter23

Everything coming in from the atlantic since October has been much more intense than usual....this wind tomorrow and especially the squally showers that come with it probably will be too...could be a very bad winter like back in the 80s/90s...where the bad weather that they forecasted they actually got and even much worse

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭ascophyllum

GFS 12z sticking to it's guns, barely gusting over 90kmph and all over by early afternoon, be interesting to see which model gets it right in the end

Met Eireann also sticking with the 90kmph gusts for South Wicklow, hasn't really deviated from it since this morning

AROME 12Z not as strong in the West later, showing very strong along the Southern coastal counties, still holding on to some very gusty weather especially during the frontal passage across the country in the morning and early afternoon in the East.

ICON is by far the strongest especially in the West in the afternoon and strangely hasn't deviated much from each run.

UKMO similar to AROME to a point but not showing the stronger winds in the NW, N later in the day as the ECM / ARPEGE shows.

Yes Met Eireann hasn't deviated from it's warnings as yet anyway . Will see what the next output looks like but either way looks like High end yellow at the very least for coastal counties, higher along the coasts , the frontal passage high end yellow maybe a few places getting gusts into the Orange category briefly but maybe not enough to warrant Orange wind warning status over a wide area. The combination of wind and driving rain will pose its own difficulties.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,025 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

I would think an orange is a certainty for favoured counties after the incessant rainfall over the last 3 weeks. Ground around Cork is very saturated and I'd say the rivers are maxed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

The met ie map is formidable. Truly.... awesome. And so utterly silent out here now. Grateful for the warning.

It has been so.. erratic.. I was awake a lot last night and it was flat calm at 2.27, then at 2.28 a sudden high wind exploded.. High drama...

Stay safe...

West Mayo offshore.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,459 ✭✭✭✭zell12

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,222 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Nothing to strong mentioned on the TAFs , Cork Airport showing gusts up to 50 knots from 9am to 11am in moderate rain, small chance of Thunderstorms also

BECMG 0209/0211 23030G50KT TEMPO 0209/0211 3000 RA BKN005 SCT015CB 

PROB30 TEMPO 0209/0211 +TSRA 

BECMG 0211/0213 23023G40KT TEMPO 0214/0218 -SHRA SCT017CB 

BECMG 0216/0218 24015G25KT 

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 544 ✭✭✭coillsaille

The fact that it's mid-term and schools are closed could also be a factor in Met Eir deciding not to upgrade warnings.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,987 ✭✭✭spookwoman

Think it's the first time I've ever seen my area of Waterford City have 105 / 110kph gusts show on arome.

• Advertisement

Looks like they'll run with what's already up a yellow. To be fair it's about right but will make for quite a nasty morning in parts. The rain although heavy looks to move through quite quickly. Perhaps an orange for coastal South and West was justified..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,762 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

The leaves are mostly down now too which helps.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

The sea area forecast is interesting in that it mentions most coasts reaching storm force 10 at least for a while.

It would be unusual for this system not to be named and an orange issued and coasts to see force 10...

ECM12Z keeping the strongest winds to the coasts and within high end Yellow, gusts up to 80 -90km/h overland. South, SE looks very strong along the coasts for a time as spookwoman said above, still time for changes.

ICON 15Z the outlier but amazing it hasn't deviated much over the last few runs. Have included below to compare later.

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭Robwindstorm

I'd be more concerned about how much the ground is saturated for both flooding and tree's uprooted. Also this is the first real test for the decaying ash branches and bows after a devastating summer for the ash dieback disease. Take care anyone traveling through the squalls, it will be extremely gusty

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,627 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

Will put the trampoline into storm mode now as this looks to be more than the average yellow wind alert

I see now on the hourly forecast that Met Eireann have kept the gusts around 90 but have extended the period of gusty weather by a couple of hours. Initially they had the strong gusts over with by 3pm but now it's 6 or 7

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭Shorty69664

Thanks for reminding me. I just ran out and did the same.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,975 ✭✭✭Storm 10

What's the story on the large low for Saturday that was on the weather chart after the 6 news

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,440 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Flying into Dublin airport tomorrow evening at 9pm. Should hopefully miss the worst of it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,428 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

That should have absolutely nothing to do with it.

Either a warning hits the thresholds for wind/precip/temp, or it doesn't.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,554 ✭✭✭kowloonkev

Well it can't really be predicted with total accuracy and storms will have so many variables that each will be judged on their own merits, with a degree of human intuition necessary. The warnings should take the risk into account and certainly closed schools reduce risk for more vulnerable people. It should at least be a consideration if the storm is on the border of orange and red warnings.

Next Man City manager: You lot may all be internationals and have won all the domestic honours there are to win under Pep. But as far as I'm concerned, the first thing you can do for me is to chuck all your medals and all your caps and all your pots and all your pans into the biggest **** dustbin you can find, because you've never won any of them fairly. You've done it all by bloody cheating.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,241 ✭✭✭sdanseo

No, they shouldn't take any of that into consideration because MÉ are still using the patently outdated numerical system they pulled out of their holes years ago.

You're describing the UKMO type of impact matrix based system we should have adopted instead.

It looked very sinister didn't it? Joanne didn't mention it, so maybe it's not heading our way. Looking at the models on Windy.com it seems to remain almost stationery between Greenland and Iceland for a few days (but I'm no expert.)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,987 ✭✭✭spookwoman

Just emptied the waterbutt beside the greenhouse and put it out of the way, that's one thing I don't want getting blown over.

Our main Birch tree out front and in direct way of southerlies still pretty much got most of it's leaves. We have a willow that needs to be taken down due to boring beetles will be one to watch. Really don't want to park out on the road because we have some muppets who don't know how long the front of their car is when turning. Doesn't help when one of those that turns outside had not bloody insurance.

• Advertisement

ICON 18Z no climb down and UKMO now looking stronger, will see what ARPEGE looks like, rolling out atm. I think Met Eireann have upped the tone a bit too..... ARPEGE preliminary looking like ICON especially the stronger winds sweeping into the West in the afternoon...will put up the chart when it is finished it's run.

TOMORROW - Wednesday 2nd November

Very windy or stormy on Wednesday. During the morning, a band of heavy squally rain will sweep eastwards across the country with spot flooding. Southerly winds will be very strong and gusty especially near west and south coasts with possible severe and damaging gusts. Rain will clear eastern counties in the early afternoon with sunny spells and heavy or thundery showers of rain or hail following. Winds will become westerly with further severe and damaging gusts, especially in western parts of Connacht and Ulster. Highest temperatures of 10 to 14 degrees.

Yes they have indeed upped the tone, probably change of forecaster for the night shift!

Orange for coastal counties would have been the correct call imo and may well be issued before tomorrow morning!

11pm TAFs max gusts

Cork 55 Knots between 9am - 11am

Shannon 45 Knots between 10am and Midday with a chance of gusts up to 55 knots up to 4pm

Knock 47 knots between 8am -10am

Dublin up to 40 knots between 5pm -7pm (chance of a small bit higher throughout the afternoon)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 544 ✭✭✭coillsaille

I agree - it shouldn't. But past experience with ME warnings indicate that it does sometimes.

ARPEGE 18Z much stronger along the SW,W, NW, N on this run and it has that stripe of strong winds forming from from Galway /Limerick towards parts of Roscommon into Longford and parts of Offaly which could all expect winds gusting around 100km/h if both ARPEGE and ICON are correct ?? ICON brings those higher gusts all the way across the country to the East in the early evening.

American models not developing the later batch of strong winds coming in from the West in the afternoon.

• Advertisement

Mace head a good one to keep an eye on tomorrow on the Met Reports

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,762 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

Agreed. The ash dieback has caused havoc this summer. A lot of big branches will come down at the very least.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

Just to highlight that AROME is showing some very strong gusting winds across the country in the 18Z. It is predicting very heavy convective type squally showers giving huge downdrafts I reckon, would not take the current positioning of the stripes of wind as gospel but only an indication of potentially very strong gusts accompanied by very heavy rain in places. The charts below show the potential for heavy squally rain and showers.

Increasingly under a cold upper airmass tomorrow aiding instability for convection and some thunderstorms and hail a possibility also.

It be .... drafty.... out here. Loud aready. I was not able yesterday to bring coal in from the drive so will try at first light..

Theorists and pragmatists! All part of the weather scenario. We need to know to stay safe.

It feels much colder. So we snuggle and hunker down and keep vigil... This kind of weather is why I have the bottled gas cooker... I was well trained in far coastal Cornwall. A modern bungalow with NO FIREPLACE. When the attic got trashed our local plumber/electrician rigged up one cable to a socket and insurance paid for an industrial drier ....

Deeply grateful to the experts here as always. Forwarned etc. THANK YOU!

West Mayo offshore

I just heard a distant rumble of thunder. That was unexpected but yep in the forecast. ( Just after 4 am)

And a very loud increase in deluge.

Today is going to be an experience.

Stay safe.

West Mayo offshore

Wind really picking up here already!

I think Met Eireann will be caught out slightly on this one. The latest gfs has upped the ante, no doubt now orange category for quite a swathe of the country

Lashing rain and strong winds, Cork city.

As I was told when I was very new here there are two aspects re weather. The weather and the effects of the weather. Both matter. We do not exist in a vacuum and need to know.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,626 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

Some thunderstorms likely embedded in the frontal systems, would expect any damaging wind gusts to be near those at first, but in Connacht watch out for a second wave of strong winds to follow late afternoon as the low develops a trailing trough with a strong gradient. Very fast accumulations of 20-30 mm depicted in some guidance for both Connacht and parts of central Munster. As several have commented, waterlogged ground, gales, any leaves left on deciduous trees, will all contribute to hazards of falling trees and not always pushed over by strongest gusts, some may be ready to go at any time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,913 ✭✭✭Cork Lass

Seriously strong winds here in Cork, no way is this a yellow - definitely should be an orange warning. Wouldn't want to be out driving in this.

• Advertisement
Advertisement