Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fattening weanling

• 01-11-2022 10:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 962 ✭✭✭

Hi

I have a February born weanling bull that's approx 380kgs. Couldn't sell him in the mart as he was born with a crooked tail and no one would bid on him. So I'm going to fatten him. What's the best to give him? Planning on leaving him out with another weanling over the winter

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,412 ✭✭✭epfff

I don't think you will put flesh on a bull outside.

At 380kgs store him for winter and graze early summer to get him to 500kgs+ then into shed for feeding

• Registered Users Posts: 962 ✭✭✭john mayo 10

Really tight for space in the sheds. Was planning on putting a bale in a feeder outside and feeding him meal

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,640 ✭✭✭Cavanjack

How bad is his tail? A crooked tail wouldn’t bother me too much. I’d let him off in the mart and be done with him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,116 ✭✭✭893bet

This. Announce as a birth defect and no one will bay an eye lid.

I have a weanling with bent in knees since birth.

he is thriving like foook. Will be interesting to see how he floats in the mart this time next year.

It was announced in the mart on the day. Not a bid. I wasnt going giving him away for feck all. Cute boys looking for a cheap calf

• Advertisement

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭50HX

Outwinter with good silage& minerals, he'll sell well in the height of grass next spring with another 100kg on him....Nice animal

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭RockOrBog

If you advertised on Donedeal before the mart and put up lot number someone online might buy him, cut out the gimps around the ring. I've had success like this sometimes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,872 ✭✭✭older by the day

That won't work. The silage will heat if it's not used fast enough. I know it's old fashioned but with only two weanings, a fresh pike of silage fired up on ditch and a fist of nuts will do them. When they hit grass next spring they will fly. Don't be trying to fatten them standing in the gutter

Advertisement