Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dream big, work hard, achieve your goals - My DCM '19 Journey

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,299 ✭✭✭ariana`

I didn't take it at all to sound like self pity - just an honest reflection on a training run. Roll on the next few weeks eh 🤗

• Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭Laineyfrecks

Yeah D, Frank Duffy really doesn't make sense in my head at all compared to my half time but sure I'll just have to get a proper 10mile PB at some stage😁

• Registered Users Posts: 10,454 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Might have been the pressure. 😉

Mon 3rd - Rest

Tues 4th -W/u, 9*1k EIM, c/d

Got out for this straight after work, a wet afternoon but still quite warm.

Weds 5th - W/u, 5*400, 8*200, c/d

Managed to get out for this at lunch time - Sun, rain & hailstones, absolutely soaked to the bone!

Thurs 6th - W/u, 2*30mins@7:28/41 off 5mins, c/d

This session felt ok, it got a bit tougher as the winds really seemed to pick up on the KT road but effort levels felt correct.

Fri 7th - 6miles V. easy

Some easy miles after work.

Sat 8th - W/u, 50mins@7:54/8:08, c/d

Set off for this at around lunchtime, it was a gorgeous day, again so warm & short sleeves still being worn!

Sun 9th - 3hr Long run - 21.57mi @8:23min mile

Set off for this after deciding on my route, decided to stick with Tallaght/Lucan. Brought my gels etc to practice & again had issues within the 1st 30 - 40 mins, decided to just stop fuelling after this as it really wasn't worth the uncomfortable feeling. I knew I would have to figure out what was going wrong but at least I still had a few runs left to practice on. Once I made my mind up it was great & I just settled into a nice pace. I ran quite comfortably for the rest of the run even though it started to get quite blustery. Listen to a couple of Tommy, Hector & Loretta podcasts which had me in stiches laughing most of the run! Ran down by my dad & a quick chat then back on my way. Overall (without the stomach issues) quite happy with this run, another step closer to the big day!

Mon 10th - Rest Day

Tues - 11th - W/u, EIM 6*1k,C/d

Again another nice run after work, Dark evenings creeping in too.

Weds 12th - W/u, 3*2miles Tempo off 5mins, C/d

Not the best feeling ever after a session but I got it done & that's the main thing

Thurs 13th - Easy miles - 5.60miles @8:57

Nice sunny lunchtime to get this run done.

Fri 14th - W/u, 6*400, 6*200, c/d

Another run done😁

Sat 15th - 50 mins v.easy 5.45mi @9:19

Didn't enjoy this run at all, I don't seem to like this easy running😂 also maronia setting in thinking theirs no way I could even run the marathon at this pace🤪

Sun 16th - 2hr Long run with 4 miles at slightly faster than MP at the end

Parked on the SCR & waited for @skyblue46 & @Lazare to arrive, S was leaving his car in at the finish of our run & C was driving him over here. Sitting waiting I seen so many runners out doing the route, was great to see & a lot of excitement seeing the DCM signs up, this sh!t is getting real now😮

Once they arrived, we set off all eager only to have to turn back because someone left their car key in C's van & it would have been completely pointless getting to his car without it😜 2nd attempt & we were away. I knew all the way as far as where the Sub bar used to be then it was more or less all a blank. Both myself & C giggled as we ran on roads that we were convinced we had never run before while S rolled his eyes at us saying luckily for us we had him there (true). A lot of chatting, the beep of a car at me🙄my top getting caught briefly in a fence & it was pretty much an uneventful run😂 I had been a bit apprehensive about taking on any gels but knew I had to practice, had gone back to just having a bowl of porridge over 2 hours before my run & nothing else (I had tried this previously during the week & took a gel to see if that was the problem & it was fine) I took a maurten gel at about 40mins then a jelly bar I got from decathalon after another 35mins & all went well(thank god). With 4 miles to go we kicked on, was a bit faster than MP but went pretty well. We walked around to S's car & he drove us back to SCR to collect our own. It was great to have company, the difference it makes is unbelievable & to run the 2nd half of the marathon with fresher legs & mind was great, hopefully it stands to us on the day.

Taper madness is of course creeping in, the doubts, the what ifs, it's all normal but I'm doing my best to push it all aside & to trust the process... Can't believe I'll be sitting in McGrattons, half pissed, hopefully celebrating this day 2 weeks - Bring it on😁

• Registered Users Posts: 4,417 ✭✭✭Lazare

Such a pleasure to run with you both this morning.

Haha about parts of the route being a total blank, you're right, we'd have been lost without S, literally.

Delighted the fueling went well for you today, one less thing to be anxious about.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭scotindublin

Always good to run some of the second half of the marathon route......you guys are going to have a great day in 2 weeks.

I'm thrilled myself C, as you say one less thing to worry about!

Yeah C it really was good to get it done, happy with how it went. Hope you are recovering well.

@Laineyfrecks recovery has been mostly eating way to much and having a few too many beer.

I might brave getting back into it tomorrow.

Mon 17th - Rest

Tues 18th - W/u, 4*1k, C/d

Weds 19th - W/u, 4*10mins Tempo off 4mins, C/d

Thurs 20th - Rest

Fri 21st - W/u, 4*400, 4*200, C/d

Sat 22nd - 35min easy

Sun 23rd - 10miles easy

Mon 24th - Rest & sports massage

Tues 25th - W/u, 2*1k, C/d

Weds 26th - W/u, 15min Tempo, C/d

Thurs 27th - 30min easy

Fri 28th - Rest

Just want to get the last 2 weeks down. All the runs went pretty well except for the 2 I did in Coventry, absolutely awful place to run & just thanked my lucky stars that they were only short runs. The whole trip was a bit mental but that's a story for another time or the pub😂

Monday was the worst maranoia day, I think the lack of sleep over the weekend (not from partying!!) really affected me & I was questioning my whole existence at that stage😮 I questioned everything, even reset my target, but after some proper sleep & lots of thinking I felt much happier in myself. I went back to my original target & I'm sticking to it.

Do I believe I can do it? Yes

Do I believe it will be easy? No

Do I believe in my training? Yes

Do I believe I put in a really solid training block? Yes

Is it the end of the world if I don't get my target? No

I am in a really good head space right now which is a great feeling, I'm very content in myself & while there are healthy nerves the main feeling is excitement & gratitude that I get to go out & run a marathon, a choice many people unfortunately don't ever get to do!

A quote I have at home on a plaque which I love & believe relates to a lot of things in life (& the marathon) is "you don't have to see the whole staircase, just take the first step" Martin Luther King

Very best of luck to everyone running on Sunday, hopefully see a few of you in Mc Grattons🤗

All the best, Elaine. There's not much more to say except that you're a class act in great shape. Bring it home!

• Advertisement

Great stuff E, love that checklist. Perfect.

You're gonna smash it. That's a solid last couple of weeks too, awesome stuff.

May see you at the start, but can't wait for that pint after 😀

• Registered Users Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭Kellygirl

Best of luck Elaine! You’ll smash it and I hope you have a brilliant day.

Thanks for putting those questions down in writing. I needed to read them for myself.

See you Sunday afternoon!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭coogy

Best of luck E!

Will be eagerly waiting to see how you get on, I have no doubt that you will have the race of your life.

By the way, that Martin Luther King quote is quite apt..........those stairs are going be pure torture on Monday morning!!! 🤣

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,041 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hannibal_Smith

Very best of luck Lainey. Hope you have a cracker of a marathon.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,735 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

Best of luck E. Hope you have a great race on Sunday.

• Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭Unknownability

Best of luck Sunday, hopefully I'll see you afterwards along with a few others from 2019!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

Kick ass Lainey. Go get it.

Hope you have a belter of a marathon, you deserve it.

See ya in Chapo whoop whoop.

Thanks a mill everyone, one more sleep😁 I'm super excited, like a kid all over again at Christmas 🤣

• Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Annie get your Run

The very best of luck! I love this log for so many reasons but your commitment, dedication and hard work will see you reach your goals (as your log title says!).

• Advertisement

DCM 2022 - Chip time 3:24:07 - a 5min PB exactly!

Not really sure how this will go but I'm sure it will be long...

DCM was my target race for the year & after a lot of thinking & a good training block my target was decided at 3:20 which I knew 100% would only be achieved if all things lined up on the day.

A few things had made the weeks leading up to the marathon a bit more stressful than I would have liked, after C informed us of his positive Covid test I started to feel unwell myself on the Tuesday (thankfully not covid) I decided not to mention it as C had been feeling so guilty & I didn't want to add to his stress (obviously I told him even if I had gotten it that it was NOT his fault). I had the sweats & a sore throat which actually resulted in me coming home early from work on the Thursday & went straight to bed skipping the only run of the whole plan, I really couldn't manage it! With me flying out the next day for a very short notice trip I did another covid test & it was negative again but thankfully I woke up feeling a fair bit better, I do just think it all added a bit of doubt & stress that I really didn't need.

With feeling so much better the following week it was game on for Dublin. I had seen C had posted about Luas times, so I messaged him to ask him something & he very kindly offered to pick me up, we travelled in together & chatted which really helped with the nerves. We stopped off at a small cafe & used the toilets then went on our way. We made our way to the baggage area & I decided to leave my throw away hoody in my bag as I was feeling quite warm, a huge difference to 2019 when I had a throw away hoody, hat & gloves then arm sleeves on me too. Got a lovely best of luck from a couple of the volunteers (who did an amazing job both at the expo & the day itself, I made sure to thank as many as possible). Made our way then to Wave 1 & soaked up the atmosphere, it was magic! Once the gun went & the cheers & claps from everyone made me feel so emotional & grateful that I was here today. This was it, off we went.

Miles 1 - 10

The start was very congested, way more than I had remembered in 2019 but I knew not to stress too much about paces etc just to enjoy the buzz of running another marathon. Both myself & C both agreed we would run our own races even though are targets were pretty similar, for now we just naturally ran beside each other. Heading past Christchurch I knew there was a steep enough hill coming up so I was careful enough not to lose control coming down it. Turned onto the Quays & it was amazing to just see this sea of runners going across the James Joyce Bridge. This was then the start of the drag, was happy to reach the 1st water station as I had planned on taking a gel soon enough & would need the water to wash it down. Myself & C were still going along together, he told me not to mention him taking a bottle of water at the 1st station, but he ratted himself out on his own log😉

It was just past the zoo that I think I 1st mentioned how hot I was feeling & that I was sweating, we pulled back the pace a little here heading onto Chesterfield Avenue, the support from the crowds was amazing! Next water station came & I took a water but this time to stick an electrolyte in it & I was able to stick it into my belt when I didn't need it which was great. Out of Castleknock gate & passed over the 10k mat pretty much spot on for my conservative start, I was feeling good thankfully. The support around Castleknock was amazing really lifts you when the crowds are shouting your name. Continued on back through the park & the bit of downhill on the Upper Glen Road was welcomed, not feeling bad at all but knew the steepest hill wasn't too far away! Myself & C separated sometime after mile 9 & I decided it was more sensible for me to stay at the pace I was going rather than trying to catch him. Again the support at Chapelizod was amazing. I got a high five from C from around here & it lifted my spirits to see someone I knew (although according to him it was "barely one", you'd never think I was trying to run a marathon or something🙄

Miles 11 - 20

We were now heading towards the Hill before heading into Ballyfermot, I had decided I was going to be quite cautious on this, once up it & onto Ballyfermot I got a nice rhythm going again. The next few miles went by pretty well, the crowd again at Dolphins Barn was brilliant. I could feel the wind now on me as we headed up the Crumlin road past my old school Loreto College, went past the halfway pretty much near my target, the plan now was to try for a negative split. After the Gate Bar pub(my very 1st job) I felt a familiar twinge in my right hip, it had been giving me a bit of trouble on some of my training runs but the physio didn't seem too worried about it & neither did I, my only fear now was that it might turn into something more & with still halfway to go I really didn't want to be running that in pain. I couldn't really find a group to tuck into & it was feeling like this road was going on forever! I knew my gang were at Walkinstown just before the Kestral pub so as soon as I started approaching there I was instantly lifted. I could see my daughters & my grandson who who was waiting there with a bottle of Lucozade for me, his little face was priceless he was so delighted with giving me the bottle, thankfully they recorded it & it's honestly the sweetest thing ever!! Got a shoutout then from my OH & some friends & all of a sudden I was feeling amazing again! The rest of the miles seemed to go by relatively well here but I just never felt I could pick up the pace to move my average splits towards what I needed, I knew my 3:20 goal was gone but that was Ok with me, I still felt like I was running a solid marathon. I do remember thinking along here that marathon running is tougher than we give it credit for or in my case tougher than I remember, it's kinda like childbirth, once you see the baby you forget all the pain!!

Miles 21 - 26.2

Miles 21 & 22 were my slowest of the day, not sure what really happened other than thinking maybe the heat & humidity had zapped my energy more than I thought. I took my time going up heartbreak hill, remember noticing a lot of people walking, cramping, veering to the sides of the roads just suffering in general. Once I got onto Foster's Avenue I felt really good again & strted injecting a bit of pace. As I was heading onto the Stillorgan Dual carriageway an older man(same as in Rathoath, I must just have that kinda face😂) told me to tuck in beside him, he kept telling me I was running a brilliant marathon & to stay with him until Nutley Lane, so I did, this was his second marathon in a few weeks & well his support to me, a complete stranger was just so heart-warming, we got to Nutley Lane & I thanked him & off I went passing P at some stage here with a lovely cheer from him which really helped(although apparently I blanked him earlier on🙄) I was feeling as good as I could expect now, I knew I needed to see this out as strongly as I could, so what If I wasn't set for my goal time, I was on for a decent PB so with that thought on my mind I pushed on. The last mile where S was & yes as I seemed to be setting a trend today I also apparently ignored him too🙄.

I could see the finish line & pumped my little legs & arms as fast as I could, it was amazing having that fight in me at the end & passing people on the carpet was amazing, it was a good strong finish & I was SO proud of myself😁

I had to hold onto a barrier for a few secs but thankfully didn't need medical assistance just gulped the rest of my lucozade! I was thrilled with a 5 min PB, thrilled I never really gave up, thrilled I had finished so strong💛

Once I got my medal & thanked all the volunteers I setoff to get my phone & spoke to all my family. The phone was hoping with so many nice messages, so humbling to see how many people were interested in my day. Once sorted I headed off to McGrattons & met S on route. Was a brilliant day after that & so lovely to meet so many boardsies, I just love meeting people & chatting 😁

I had the most amazing sleep last night & feel actually quite better than I was expecting. So the question is, do I have any regrets going for 3:20? And the answer is no, I had always decided that if things weren't going perfectly then I was just going to readjust my goal on route, it's running, these things happen all the time. I did a really good block of training that I am so proud of, it takes dedication, commitment & determination to complete a good block of training all of which I have. I would like to say a huge thanks to S for providing me with this training block, one I have really enjoyed & also for having belief in me, it goes a long way.

I'd also really like to thank this running community; myself & C were only saying how valuable it is when it's the only real running support you have & you run most of your runs alone. Also thanks so much to C for collecting me & giving me that bit of moral support on a day when I needed it.

My stats don't look too shabby either...

49th place out of 1,068 - F 40yrs

173rd place out of 4,800 - Gender

1,933rd place out of 14,772 - Overall

I will prob start running again easy for a couple of weeks starting from Thursday. My next big target, who knows? All I know is that I love this running lark & am enjoying the improvements I am making year after year, long may that continue!

I will never give up going for new targets...

"A winner is a dreamer who never gives up" Nelson Mandela

Brilliant report and a really well executed run, delighted for you after all your efforts.

I am also extremely proud that I wasn't blanked in Chapo 🤣🤣.

All joking aside take care of yourself this week and get back into it when you feel up to, be in not rush to get back enjoy the mara buzz for a while and just get some easy runs in.

C

• Registered Users Posts: 7,735 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

I had a big smile on my face reading that.... such a great, warm report of a very strong race, which was planned and executed extremely well. You're a great runner and the stats you posted are testament to that.

I know from my own stint that it's no easy task training for a marathon while trying to guide a bunch of novices on their journey too, so a huge well done on that front too. You played a blinder.

Great to meet you afterwards, and well done again.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Annie get your Run

I was expecting that to be longer 😂, joking aside that's a great report. Absolutely delighted for you Elaine, and a joy to meet you in person in McGrattans too. Congrats on running a great race and another PB!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭Kellygirl

Kept this to read when I sat down this evening and it didn’t disappoint. You ran a great race Elaine and love the positivity coming from your report too. That bit about the older man bringing you along in Nutley is lovely. Congrats again on your PB.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,816 ✭✭✭billyhead

Great report. Well done. How about preparing for a foreign Marathon? London perhaps. It usually takes place in April.

What a great read, E and you are absolutely right not to be disappointed - you got a great result on a day where a LOT of people suffered. Those stats say it all. That 3:20 will definitely fall on a kinder day or course. Many congrats!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭Dubh Geannain

Congrats on a super race and a fantastic report too. How was the hip after? All good I hope.

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭racersedge

Congrats on a great day and a new PB! Definitely feeling some parallels, whether it’s the five minute improvement on Manchester, the feeling of the heat or an annoying niggle coming back during the race to cause some concern! Enjoy the rest and recharge ahead of deciding on the next challenge!

• Advertisement

Fantastic job E, those stats, swoon. You're an absolute legend.

It was a massive pleasure to run with you for a good bit of it. I was delighted when you contacted me on Sat about the Luas as I realised we'd head in together.

I remember just coming up to 10k looking at the watch and remarking to you how mad it was that we were over 45 mins in to it already. The time went by in a heartbeat. That's down to running with company, so thank you for that.

Enjoy every minute of your well earned post race PB buzz.

Advertisement