Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pubs and Clubs to get longer opening hours

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,542 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Fergus Finlay’s piece in the Examiner sums it up very well - so many ppl over the past week have said similar and back this up -

https://www.irishexaminer.com/opinion/columnists/arid-40995950.html

The funny thing is....

Current HSE public health policy is to reduce alcohol consumption by 20%

so - they actually are not against government policy - if you look at it from their POV

• Registered Users Posts: 10,575 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

I for one and delighted that we are being brought in line with other european cities in regards to opening hours, this nonsense of getting thrown out of a club at 3am is terrible for the industry since it's inception...

The revoking of the theatre license killed the club scene back in the day, more people will be able to go out now, more work in venues for people, djs, light people, bar staff, etc

The sky is falling attitude has to change, we live in 2022, not 1982 as some people wish we stayed in...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭hynesie08

Quite the opposite, they've already passed the dail, it's happening.

Haven't been in a nightclub in years but I'll pull an all nighter when it does.

Hynsie08 -

Explain what you mean by “they’ve already passed the dail”.

go on now, take your time and explain that one

• Advertisement

You're absolutely right, I should have said cabinet. It passed the cabinet and will now progress through the 2 houses before becoming law, thank you for pointing out my grammatical error, even if you managed to spell my name wrong while doing so, it would be petty of me to point out the irony.

Care to explain how you think a bill backed by the minister for justice, the minister for health, the taioseach and tanaiste, which flew through cabinet with no objections, will be shelved?

Take your time now.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,211 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

There's no way this is getting shelved, there may be some amendments but it will be passed mostly as is id imagine. This reform is something Varadker has mentioned many times over the last few years even pre covid, it's been on the cards for a while.

Not saying it will be shelved although it might be. It will be significantly pared back.

There’s just too much negative sentiment towards it from the public health establishment, the NGO sector, the likes of AGS and most significant - the general public (see the almost 100% negative letters on this in the papers and media).

• Registered Users Posts: 68,683 ✭✭✭✭L1011

It's not going to be pared back. Its going to happen pretty much exactly as proposed.

There was a significant, detailed consultation process. All the people writing to the papers are stropping because their neoprohibitionist desires were massively outweighed during that consultation process.

Its a fait accompli, and would have happened earlier except for COVID.

Reforming our Victorian, complicted licencing system is decades overdue. Dermot Ahern's "reforms" just put in ineffective neoprohibitionist changes that did absolutely nothing positive

Wishing, hoping and clinging to cries in the newspapers isn't going to reverse this.

It won't, in fact I think there'll be provisions for longer opening hours when they realize there's a women's world cup, rugby internationals in the southern hemisphere etc.

It'll fly through and you and the "general public" ( 8 people in the times letters section) can do this incredible thing called not go........

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,886 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

This policy will have little to no impact on me as I just stick to local bars and usually head home around midnight anyway. But I'm looking forward to the day it's official, for no other reason than knowing it will annoy a certain cohort of posters on here. Maybe then they'll stop spamming the thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,317 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

• Registered Users Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭Tonesjones

That's right they all just sit staring and scrolling on social media .

• Registered Users Posts: 13,976 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Good ole boards.

I'm against it because it will kill the country

or

I'm for it and anyone against it is a dope and it'll be great, crime will even go down!

From my experience in AGS, I thought it would be a good thing. I'm not sure though. I still believe the Irish are far worse with drink in them than most other countries. I don't drink anymore myself, so none of this makes any different to me, other than some younger relatives may be looking for even later lifts home. Time will tell.

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭Eggonyerface

I wonder what the venn diagram looks like of people who are against this and people who were against covid restrictions being eased. We were told by posters here the world was going to fall apart and restrictions were going to be brought back and neither has happened. When the UK brought in the 24 hour laws their media and letters pages were full of doom and gloom articles too but it went ahead and the world still turns

• Registered Users Posts: 29,514 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

I have no objection in principle to it, but I do have concerns about the ability of public services to cope with it.

We don't have the NHS and Met Police, we have the HSE and AGS.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,273 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

But that’s the point. The views of people on here and (lol) the letter pages of the Irish times are, mostly, irrelevant. A task force was set up with input from a wide variety of sources including the most conservative people in the country - senior civil servants

The report was published a year ago and since gone through the glacier-slow civil service and political systems. It’s now been agreed by cabinet

What I’m saying is that if it has got this far, it’s extremely likely to happen. A lot of people for and against it have had their say and even though the people who write opinion pieces for the weekly papers here come from the same stock as most of official Ireland, it looks like their concerns have been outweighed by the positives

Unless anyone actually thinks a couple of opinion pieces or (lol) letters to the Irish Times make it “dead in the water”

Considering the recent state of the NHS and Met, that message could easily be seen as having the entire reverse meaning to what you meant

• Registered Users Posts: 29,514 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Hah yes, well they were in better shape when it was first introduced in England, and it's that initial 'go mad' stage I'd have most concerns about.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,359 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

Yeah, this is not going to be overturned now. The debate itself around it is interesting in itself though. It looks like the anti alcohol lobby groups thought they were in the ascendency with the curtailment of off licences and MUP. They were completely blind to the real reason for them - nothing about health but to protect the on trade. They provided the fig leaf, I hope they were happy being used.

In any case, the measures will not be enough to arrest the decline in the on trade, particularly clubs. Culture has fundamentally shifted, just as it did before away from dance halls and there is nothing here to change that. But who really cares? If they were important, people would go to them.

• Advertisement

I think the clubs will come back. When I was in college in Galway around ten years ago there was 6 nightclubs, now there is one. People didn't stop going because they didn't want to go to them anymore, the businesses were forced to close by crippling regulations and ballooning insurance costs fuelled by ridiculous personal injury claim pay outs, with covid being the final nail in the coffin. I briefly worked in 2 different clubs while I was studying, both are now closed and those are the reasons why. I think there is a demand same way there is a demand for them all across Europe, they just need to be given the space to be able to operate as they should and this legislation will go a long way towards doing that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,886 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

Agree completely. There is this weird perception/narrative out there that students spend all their time on Netflix and/or dating apps and don't go out anymore. As someone who works in 3rd level education, I can tell you that couldn't be further from the truth.

Yeah, that's not true, since the decline in niteclubs is not limited to Ireland. In England and Wales for example, their number has slid by about 60% from their peak in 2006.

The truth is young people have moved on and don't see much value in going to these places anymore.

They've been superseded by late bars, house parties and the apps.

No flowers please.

That's your opinion and it's fair enough. But it's definitely 20+ years since you darkened the door of any sort of club so you're probably a bit out of touch, don't worry, it happens as you get older.

Facts are not opinions. There were over500 niteclubs in Ireland in 2000, there's around 80 now.

There were about 3000 niteclubs in England and Wales in 2006, there's 1200ish now.

While it's been a few years (not 20 years though) since I was in a club, the "nighttime economy" has been universally struggling in this part of the world. Given that it's not just local to Ireland, it has to be culture change.

I'm not saying people don't go out, but it's completely obvious that they are less interested in going to clubs and are voting with their feet.

Walk Harcourt st or by the academy on a Friday or Saturday night and tell me clubs are dead, as long as girls want to dance and lads want to ride there'll be clubs to facilitate.

Go to mass on Christmas day and tell me the church isn't alive and well.

One swallow doesn't make a summer and one street is not an industry.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,857 ✭✭✭growleaves

How does people going to late bars instead of clubs prove that they don't like going out?

Many late bars have dancefloors.

What seems to have happened is that people prefer a slightly different kind of late night venue.

A substantial element of that is your before figures are from when you has to go to the club to drink after about 1130.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,575 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

The club's are going to kick off again, we have a thriving club scene here and great acts, producers and Djs who are regularly entertaining abroad every week in Berlin, London, Holland etc because there isn't enough hours for them to play here...

I'm more so looking forward to going to different venues with later licenses, art galleries and one offs and the like, I was in the NCH a few weeks ago at an electronic gig there and it was fantastic, so more of that please...

Advertisement