Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What’s your most controversial opinion? **Read OP** **Mod Note in Post #3372**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Jequ0n

@Brid Hegarty

“Would you be willing to recommend a better way that extinction rebellion should go about raising awareness for their cause?”

They would manage to impress me if they poured their much hated petrol on themselves and set them themselves alight.

It would also be impressive to see them pull this **** in China or Russia, instead of doing this in countries where authorities tackle them with feather dusters.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

Yip, if they sat on the road and stopped people, including women (see video of irate mum prevented from picking kids up from school) from travelling to important appointments.

But these people are not protesting about anything as important as women’s rights. My guess is they all didn’t walk from their homes to those streets/roads where they protest, some probably have cars, central heating, kids in schools where they rely on some form of heating apart from solar/wind. So if they play silly games, eventually one of them is going to win a silly prize.

• Registered Users Posts: 398 ✭✭jimmybobbyschweiz

The North has significant trading links with the UK already, has cheaper housing which can be absorbed by the Republic as part of its efforts to alleviate the housing crisis. Based on history, I would not say it is unreasonable to think there would be extensive money made available from Westminster to the two countries to develop and grow their joint economies, infrastructure etc. which would create a lot of jobs as these programmes are rolled out. There are benefits in the North that we do not have and there are certainly many things in the Republic that can be greatly improved (healthcare and housing to name two). It is superficial to think that the North and Republic should be separate countries and, with our geographic location and island layout, there are huge advantages to this that will insulate us to an extent from the problems that are rattling EU countries.

This "cap-in-hand" attitude to tax evading foreign enterprises is pathetic and definitely symptomatic of low self-esteem and poor self-image when it comes to Irishness, with perhaps a certain older generation being the most prominent set to be befuddled by this unhealthy view of the country. It's 2022, not 1988.

There has been many threads on boards, and articles in the media related to the problems with absorbing the North into the South, not least replacing the subsidy received from the UK government, the fact that something like 1 in 5 of all employees in the North work for the State, the cost of replacing the NHS, increases in benefits etc that would be necessary. You want us to pay for all that, plus kick out the MNCs, and leave the EU?

You don’t want us to be part of the EU, but you would be ok with what would need to be an enormous reliance on the UK to give us money to take the North?

We are not Switzerland, be happy you are there, but every now and then get some fresh air.

On surrogacy, unfortunately I cannot help but feel that it is awful that a baby would be grown inside its mother, then birthed, but then handed over straight after birth to two persons that aren't its mother to then raise it, while she steps away from the baby at that point. For example, with the TV presenter Brian Dowling and his husband recently, one of their sisters acted as their surrogate and had their baby, then stepped aside straight after birth and handed over the baby to them. It's a bit sickening that a baby would be separated from its mother straight away like that.

• Advertisement

Argument; Vague reference to apparent sources that discredit the opinion.

Conclusion; Get some fresh air.

You'll have to forgive me but I can't engage with this as a counter-argument as it isn't anything - quality over quantity should be your new posting style, judging by the number of posts you have over four years - it is understandable that drafting proper responses would not be possible if time was taken to engage properly.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,511 ✭✭✭✭walshb

This is the best on here brcsuse it’s controversial, and utterly bonkers!

• Registered Users Posts: 55,511 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Yes, but their is birth mother and genetic mother.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭thefallingman

The thread titles in the training logs section are so cringy it makes me want to puke

• Registered Users Posts: 1,244 ✭✭✭Brid Hegarty

You haven't answered the question though. Of course they'd be killed if they did that in China... but they're not out to impress anyone, they're out to raise awareness. Seems like you, on the other hand, are just full of hate. Could you put some context to your comment; are you a climate change denier or not?

I remember you as the guy who said that Putin is smarter than the average western politician. You say you neither hate not love Putin, but it is interesting that these climate activists get on your wick a lot more than Putin.

And just to remind you of your ridiculous comment in trying to defend Putin's intelligence:

@Jequ0n He doesn’t care [about the downfall of Russia] because he won’t get to see the downfall of his empire. The world looks very different then.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 1,244 ✭✭✭Brid Hegarty

@Dav010 But these people are not protesting about anything as important as women’s rights. 

Hold the phone there. Do you have any idea how much lives will be lost if the predicted climate change projections drawn up by scientists in the 80s (that have been 100% accurate so far) end up coming true? We're not just talking about polar bears being wiped out. That's the problem with people like you. It's as if you think climate activists are weirdos who are fighting for the rights of insects or something. It's more than that. You need to pull your head out of your ass and think long term... not just tomorrow.

What has that got to do with sitting in the road stopping people from doing important things, and damaging art?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,857 ✭✭✭growleaves

'Would you have said the same about the suffragettes? Would you have preferred if women never got the right to vote?'

Do you think the cause justifies 'any means necessary'? If so, do you extend the same license to the IRA and if not, why not?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,230 ✭✭✭RoryMac

Irish poetry & literature should be a separate subject with the core subject compulsory and covering the practical side of understanding & speaking the language

• Registered Users Posts: 15,192 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Good controversial opinion.

About time we had one.

The proof is in the pudding.

There are very few well run states in the African continent.

Now obviously the 21st century argument is that it's our fault as Europeans because we colonized them and the effects are still felt, but that can't wash forever.

Plus it's more nuanced than that, many African tribes collaborated with Europeans in the slave trade, the stripping of resources etc

At some stage the native people have to take responsibility.

And from what we have seen since the 1960s very few are able to establish what we would regard as functioning democracies.

Its actually currently just over 1 in 4 (220610/(220610+57864) is 27%), not 1 in 3. It has been higher (31%) in the past.

• Private sector jobs reached a new series high in June 2022. Private sector jobs increased over both the quarter (+0.8% or +4,830 jobs) and the year (+4.0% or +22,480 jobs) to 578,640 jobs in June 2022. Public sector jobs also increased over both the quarter (+0.3% or +740 jobs) and the year (+2.6% or +5,600 jobs) to 220,610 jobs in June 2022. 

Whats the equivalent figure in Ireland ?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Jequ0n

These antics aren’t aimed at raising awareness. They are nothing but self-centred displays of collective narcissism.

I fail to see what my opinion on Putin has to do with this bunch of morons, but then I usually struggle to follow your thoughts.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,355 ✭✭✭Hoop66

My controversial opinion: Fr Tod Umptious bums dogs.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Therein is the kernel.

It is not the FACT of protesting but the manner of it. ie discommoding folk and damaging what can never be replaced.

They are not getting support; they are alienating folk who are tring to go about their lives.

why not do something even remotely useful towards their beliefs? Create and support rather than the way they are acting now.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,515 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Conservatives and Conservatism have nothing whatsoever to offer humanity. It's an antiquated ideology which has been wrong on pretty much every ethical dilemma in history and now only exists as a replacement for feudalism to concentrate wealth, power and influence in a tiny number of hands.

I think that's my most controversial opinion.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 1,852 ✭✭✭Steve F

There's approximately 7.8 Billion people on planet Earth and it can't support every one on it now

In a decade or so it will be 10 billion ie another 2.2 billion, how will the planet cope with the extra 2.2 billion...it won't!!

Climate change is being driven by humans(?)

We haven't a cat in hells chance of halting it unless we do something about world population growth

All the measures and carbon taxes that the "Experts" spout at us but I never hear one of them mention population

Well, you asked for " controversial"

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭Tomw86

That's not even controversial, it's absolutely ridiculous - you're some idiot.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,703 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

Well for a start if you inherited 100k tomorrow from your parents you would keep 100% of that. You could inherit over 3 times that and still keep it all.

By abolishing inheritance tax you are only going to punishing average working man, who now has to support a wealthy class with their general taxation as the millionaires/billionaires pass down their money in perpetuity, through several generations who never have to work

I really don't understand the opposition to inheritance tax - it won't affect 90% of people and the people it affects most are those who were born mega wealthy through no fault of their own

I do agree with you to a degree, but when you say 'they've never played the game at that level' do you then feel Managers who haven't played at that level shouldn't manage elite teams? I think you've let yourself down with adding that part.

For example - Alex Ferguson and Arsene Wenger who were never elite players shouldn't have been able to trasnlate in to elite managers??

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭CrookedJack

Well done, good point, I'm convinced.

Let's let dead people decide what the living do. Because generational wealth and feudalism have never caused any problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭Irish_wolf

A thread with actual controversial opinions is a sight to see. Normally it's the usual 'pineapple on pizza is fine' type crap.

An actual controversial opinion I have is that slower drivers are perfectly within their rights to be doing 20km/h or whatever below the speed limit on normal roads, and even less if it's a dual carriageway/motorway. If you as a driver cant react to a slower driver in a safe and controlled manner then you are fully responsible for any incident that occurs and the slower driver bears none of the responsibility for your poor reactions (extreme/illegal cases not withstanding like someone doing 30km/h on the motorway or a driver who is impaired and shouldn't be driving). If you end up frustrated and overtake in a dangerous manner, or you didn't have time to react safely because you were driving at excessive speeds that is a failing on your part as a driver.

There are many legitimate reasons that someone may be required to complete a journey at a slower speed and if you cant deal with that you have less right to be on the road as a dangerous/incompetent driver than the slower safer driver. If you think that in a situation where someone doing say 140km/h on the motorway has to swerve dangerously because they suddenly happened upon a driver doing 70km/h that even partial fault should lie with the slower driver you are wrong.

As a caveat if you're driving some big German sports car that can glide effortlessly down a motorway at 180km/h and you can do that safely I actually would have no issue (autobahns are a great idea), it's more people that blame slow drivers for their own reckless behaviour that I have issue with. This might not sound controversial to some but boy does it get certain people's backs up.

By putting in a 100% inheritance tax you are not incentivizing people to go out to work and say save or buy property - there would be no point as it would go back to the state afterwards. This is the issue with people on long term benefits and living in council accommodation - they have no incentive to work and know that everything they have will be handed back to the government afterwards.

If it worked in a manner similar to Germany where nobody owned property and rents were low and on long term basis then it could be a solution but it certainly wouldn't be fair on people who go out, work their whole lives (while paying tax), contribute positively to society and then are not able to pass that on to their children after death.

So my two controversial opinions are as follows;

1) All these people (some in this thread) saying about making education the same for everyone are blinded by the fact that it is the same for everyone. Everyone has access to education and the ability to learn (unless you have diagnosed disability) so the fact some people are educated to a higher level than others is only down to the individual, the parents ensuring education comes first and the creation of a good family learning environment - this isn't determined by wealth.

2) Smaller ethnic minorities are significantly more racist in the modern world than white people. Most of them are so racist they will not even entertain people from outside their ethnicity it's actually shocking to see.

• Advertisement

Thanks for the calculation, I have amended my post.

12%

Is the answer to your question, according to the public service jobs site there are 300k public servants, and recent CSO data showed just over 2.55m in employment.

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

Advertisement