Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland Team Talk XII: Farrell's First Fifteen

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,169 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Iain Henderson and Bundee Aki are training with the Ireland squad. Neither were named in the original announcent.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭Stephen_Maturin

Is the Ireland A match on Friday going to be televised?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,764 ✭✭✭✭Pudsy33

• Registered Users Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

Bundee can't play in any of the games but he almost certainly will be in the world Cup squad so he may as well be in camp for training.

Likewise there's quiet a few injured players who I could see being in and out of camp but wouldn't be named in the squad as they are injured.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,597 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

I think Aki's available for the Australia game, no?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

I just checked. He can play vs Australia if he did a coaching intervention program.

No idea if he did or not.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,886 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

We came very, very close to beating them on their own turf 9 months ago missing our best player.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,105 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

The more I look at that SA teamsheet the worse it gets. We're going to need a hell of a performance on Saturday. Their bench could really be vital.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭ersatz

Interesting how many of them play in Japan. I think that domestic league has improved a lot and is no longer just a money bags sabbatical for SH players and going on the evidence of their performance against NZ it's helping the Japan team.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭PMC83

Theres zero time for sentimentality in professional sport. We're playing the world champions here, Farrell will absolutely start his strongest 15. If Murrays picked to start its because hes either shown something more then everyone else or because the first up isn't match fit.

All the lovely sound bytes aside, I can't see any world where he picks Murray to start just because it coincides with his 100th cap.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,941 ✭✭✭TRC10

They've also had a pretty average year. They got beaten at home by NZ and Wales and got hammered by Australia. They're missing key players through injury, have deliberately left out experienced players with an eye on the World Cup and are experimenting with guys in different positions.

We're going full strength, rushing back injured players rather than trusting the backups, and have just become the first ever professional team to win a series in NZ, and we're at home. We should absolutely be winning this.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Must love hardship

I agree our coaches have a lot of credit in the bank. They can afford to not go 100% full strength or at least not rush someone back unnecessarily.

I'm not saying ireland should play 5 debutants v South africa. I just think we should try integrate 1 or 2 additional players in against tip opposition with a large number of our front line players around them.

Take the back row. It's about 18 months since someone other than Doris, Pom, vdf and Conan were the 4 chosen as the 4 back row options for a serious test match. And that was when Stander played in the 21 6 nations with 3 of the options.

They may be our 4 best back row options but we really need a look at a Coombes or a Timoney, pendergast or Baird in a game against top opposition.

Similarly what's the negative with playing someone other than keenan at full back if keenan is rusty let him play v Fiji and then integrate him back in for Australia.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,590 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

That bok 9 and 10 are certainly 'get at able', though I expect faf to get at least 35 mins. If williamse goes down early they're down to kolbe at 10 and the benefit of that is he is severely limited in his attacking prowess from there..... So I expect williamse to take some punishment in those opening exchanges

I don't mind them going strong for this game if they make 5/6 changes for Australia. South Africa rocking up and kicking the sh*t out of us could have devastating psychological consequences similar to England in Lansdowne Road in 2019. But that being said, I don't like how guys like Keenan and JGP (both top players) are seemingly being rushed back having not played in months and zero form coming into such a tough game. Reeks to me of Murray in 2019, coming straight back in while clearly still injured and no chance of anybody else getting a look in while he was playing rubbish. By being so short-term focused, Farrell is putting more pressure on to get a result. I don't get the sense that SA will be too fussed if they don't win this game. We clearly care a lot more.

I think we can safely assume there will be changes for Fiji. But Australia aren't a team I'd fear massively right now, and that's their 4th game of a 5 game tour at the end of their season so they'll be knackered. That's a perfect game to throw some guys in against decent opposition, and if we lose, who honestly cares? We know we're a better team than them when we're at full strength. Being in a better position with regards to the World Cup is far more important than results this November.

Sexton and Healy should be gone after the South Africa game. There's nothing we will learn from the playing v Fiji and Australia and we desperately need to look at other options particularly at loose head. I've been impressed with Loughman of late. If he's the 3rd choice LH then we need to get him capped.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,569 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

I hope Casey starts. If healthy. Murray is just so ordinary, if even that. He's been average for 3 years. Can't see Keenan and JGP waltzing back in. No form whatsoever.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,597 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

Sexton and Healy should be gone after the South Africa game.

Some good points there, TRC. I'd largely agree with the above, with maybe one exception of pairing him with Casey for 50 mins vs Oz. But no complaints if someone else starts in Sexton's stead either (preferably paired with JGP then, if he's back).

• Registered Users Posts: 5,986 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

"No form"

These guys have been absolutely central to our resurgence under Farrell and have been incredibly consistent performers going back two years.

Missing a couple of cakewalks in the URC is of no consequence.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,569 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

They've missed quite a bit of rugby. Including the tilts v Ulster and the Sharks. They could come in cold and underperform. I know they're central to the team.

These guys have been absolutely central to our resurgence under Farrell and have been incredibly consistent performers going back two years.

And Murray was arguably the best player in the world in 2018.

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

This makes zero difference. If Farrell thinks they're ready then they'll play.

We've seen this with Furlong in the past.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

Keenan really more of a glider than a walzer.

And Murray was arguably the best player in the world in 2018.

And he's not in the team in 2022.

Lads, the idea that beating the All Blacks in July 2022 shouldn’t matter in November 2022 is absolutely bananas.

But yet you never, ever stop going on about how good Cooney was in 2020 or whenever it was supposed to be?

That's not the point I was trying to make. Murray was unbelievable in 2018, but he shouldn't have been getting in the team in 2019, no matter how good he was a few months earlier. He was rushed back from injury ahead of guys playing well, and we suffered greatly for our lack of trust in the alternatives. JGP and Keenan being rushed back with no rugby or form to speak of just feels awfully similar. Obviously, I hope they hit the ground running and I'm proven wrong.

And since you brought him up, Cooney is still the best performing provincial scrum half in 2022 btw.

The issue is the automatic assumption that guys are being rushed back and aren't ready because conservative etc.

At what point do people concede that the coach of the #1 ranked team in the world might know what he's doing? Maybe these lads are fit and raring to go, and just weren't risked for the URC.

Cooney is in his bollocks the best SH in Ireland btw. He isn't now and he never was.

Post edited by Former Former Former on

• Registered Users Posts: 739 ✭✭✭phily2002

This is nonsense. Cooney was the best scrum half in Ireland for a while and one of the best in Europe. He got into the international picture for the 6 nations because his form was so good. Many calling him the best 9 in Europe. The coaches picked him because of this form(and pressure from the media) for the 6 nations squad and most were calling for him to start as Murray was in poor form. Still he got few minutes even with Murray not going well. This showed the coaches really didn't want him there.

He mightn't be the best scrum half in the country now but in the Irish squad he's better than Murray and Casey. There's rumours why the Irish coaches won't pick him but no one knows for sure except those involved. Most fans have excepted he won't be picked again but we know its nothing to do with his form.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

The coaches picked him because of this form(and pressure from the media)

Sorry but that’s complete and utter manure. If coaches are making selections based on media pundits (some failed coaches). Then they would have no right to be in the job in the first place. He got into camp on his form for Ulster alright. The coaches had a good look at him and deemed him not good enough. As evidenced by “Still he got few minutes even with Murray not going well”. Which would suggest that despite what some fans thought of him playing well in one system. He couldn’t transfer it to another setup. At times in the last 5 years or so. Marmion has been “the best scrum half in Ireland” Blade has been “the best scrum half in Ireland” Cooney has been “the best scrum half in Ireland”. In the eyes of supporters. Yet the only one to actually get past Murray thus far, was JGP.

• Registered Users Posts: 739 ✭✭✭phily2002

Cooney was nominated for European player of the year in 2020(only scrum half nominated). He was also in the league team of the year 4 years in a row and Ulster player of the year twice. He was the best 9 in Ireland but the Irish coaches didn't like him.

Yes maybe he didn't fit in with the Irish system but he was never given a proper chance to prove himself.

Marmion, Blade and Cooney are all top class scrum half's and better than Murray, it's a mystery how Murray continues to get selected for Ireland. I've said it before but Murray wouldn't make the bench for any other province but is still in the Irish squad. Just because the Irish coaches continue to pick him doesn't make him a better player than those left out.

• Registered Users Posts: 762 ✭✭✭starkid

i'd wait til selection time to get on your high horse. Either scenario is fraught with danger. Gibson Park coming straight back, or playing Murray. its the exact same mistake we often do, but in two go's at once. Lads having not played for a few months and expect everything to be fine. Bringing back an older out of form player because of contracts and nostalgia. Murray is a great option to close a game. his days of starting are over. The problem is Casey isn't ready. I'd imagine Gibson Park and Keenan start. Keenan coming back in seems ok as he is hugely calm etc. Gibson Park i think needs more time as he can have wobbles.

this is a crucial game given the context of WC, and how big packs have had our number a while now.

I think if AF gets through this window he can get all the concessions he wants. Picking Murray, or starting lads with no minutes this seasons are massive issues, again in the context of a WC.

being number 1 team in the World means f*ck all, when will you ever learn.

But this weeks selection could go badly wrong if he picks say Murray, and say Stockdale.

Its a huge game, i think bigger than NZ (given where they are at now)

and Cooney was clearly one of the best SH's in Ireland for 2 seasons. at 32, he is out of the convo so we ought to forget him. He should go the Scotland route.

Do you genuinely believe this?

You do realise they see him training as well, not just the minutes in matches?

Do you really believe the coaches aren't going to pick the players they think give them the best chance of winning matches?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭irelandrover

Isn't the team of the year heavily weighed to players who don't play international matches? So its not actually a very good indication at all as to who is the best player per position. Craig Casey was on the team of the year last year but i dont think anyone would argue he is the best scrum half in the league.

Marmion, Blade and Cooney are not all top class scrum half's. They are all good scrum halfs who look good for their provinces and could do a job at international.

My recollection of Cooney is he had the great year in 2020, was called into the irish squad, looked like he would get the starting place and then covid. When the internationals had come back he had lost all form and been dropped by Ulster.

Advertisement