Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk, Gossip, Rumours 2024/25

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,504 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

it's Porto, Bayern Munich, Real Madrid, RB Leipzig, Paris Saint-Germain or Benfica in the last-16

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,301 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Its just lazy analysis because he has a pony tail and is tall. Carroll didn't have an ounce of his talent and attitude.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,304 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Nope needed to be 4-0 3-0 would have gone to overall goal difference and Napoli would have been ahead

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,940 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Id take Real over two legs it’s the one off finals I don’t want them in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,399 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Porto or Bayern are the only two guaranteed options so far.

AC Milan if they win and Chelsea lose. RM or Leipzig and PSG or Benfica depending on their results.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,698 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

If we'd had him last year, we'd have been even closer to the quadruple. He gives us so much of a threat. If he can hone his control and get on the same wavelength as the rest of the team, he'll be a proper menace.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,304 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Chelsea have won their group, if they lose and Milan win they both finish on 10 points but head to head it is 5-0 to Chelsea

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,399 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Those last 2 games are so frustrating, we have our problems but there is no way we should be losing these games.

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭rudders

Anyone heading to the game Wednesday and looking for a spare ticket?

happy to give it away for free.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,877 ✭✭✭hynesie08

That minute or so where carvalho, Jones, Ramsay and Elliott were passing the ball around like a training ground kick around had me grinning from ear to ear. Is the derby game gonna be televised? Wanna get a better look at some of them.

Darwin Nunez: 7 goals in 743 minutes

Cristiano Ronaldo: 3 goals in 871 minutes

Karim Benzema: 6 goals in 928 minutes

Raheem Sterling: 4 goals in 1,249 minutes

Jones just isn’t quick enough with his thinking and I’m not sure that is something that can trained.

He just holds onto the ball that split second too long.

Salah has now equaled Gerrard’s record of 41 goals in European competitions.

Looking at the clips of Napoli fans walking around the City centre wearing masks and carrying baseball bats is scary.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,130 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

He is also currently top scorer in the CL this season, something I was surprised at.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,349 ✭✭✭Zak Flaps

Yes he did that a few times earlier. I think he'll improve. He really needs to get more minutes though. Get himself match fit. Might sharpen his mind a little too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,511 ✭✭✭✭noodler

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,069 ✭✭✭jones

Do we have a mental problem with getting up for the "smaller" teams? Looking at our results in the last month it certainly appears we do.

We beat the two form teams in Europe, City and Napoli, and then lose to relegation fodder in the league. The schedule obviously isn't helping but it's funny how we seem well able to get up for the big teams.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,069 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Smaller teams play very differently, sitting back and waiting to catch us committed up the field. It’s harder to maintain high intensity too I think, since it’s a bit less of an open battle, and more about just trying to probe to find gaps in a stacked defence.

a more open game just suits us better than having to keep recycling the ball forever trying to break through.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,698 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

There seems to also be a level of complacency amongst our defence against the smaller teams. They switch off defensive mode in favour of a more forward thinking one and are caught unawares then when the ball is back quickly in their half. Those lapses aren't permissible against the top teams.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,965 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

Konate is a talent btw, probably even faster than Gomez and as big as Van Dijk, a full 2 years younger than Joe too.

Obviously a very short sample in what was essentially a dead rubber but I thought Ramsey and Bajcetic had good cameos.

Hate to keep piling on him but as soon as he came on Bajcetic looked so much more comfortable than Jones did.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,845 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Iv been saying since summer 2021 that Jones would hugely benefit form a loan move, Simply because he needs to play his problems are ones that will only get fixed on the pitch, He's 22 in January so it could be getting to late for that ,

Also I fully understand concerns regarding Darwin's touch, passing, decision making, etc. but it's so clear at this point that we get more chances when he's on the pitch, he causes a lot of problems for defenders.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,130 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

It helped that game was 1-0 when they came on, but there was a real energy when the 3 kids came on. The tempo went up and the pressing increased. They showed up the older players. They have a hunger and you can see it.

It felt like a couple of years ago when the Liverpool midfield did that in every game, no matter who was playing. I remember loads of kids playing in the league cup but being impressed as they played like they were regular first team players. Quick pressing, quick movement and quick passing.

It's that tempo that Jones seems to be lacking too. And we know that he has done it previously - last season he had a great few games at the start of the season before getting injured. He needs to get that sorted out again, and play more naturally.

Having VVD, Konate, Firmino & Nunez on the pitch gives us a great presence at corner kicks & free kicks for & against,

All 4 are very good in the air

Something that we will needed defensively against Spurs who have been very good themselves this season in those situations

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,125 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

Konate is top notch. I'd be thinking Joe will be moving on, you just can't continue to make those school yard mistakes and get away with it.

Any ideas of what's going going wrong with Fabhino

He is only turned 29, i read this morning that Bajectic won more ground duels 3 in 5 minutes last night than Fab has since September,

He hasn't even played a crazy amount of games ,

Konate is a monster like a young VVD. Have to keep to him fit, he reads the game so well, strong, fast, all the attributes to become a world class defender.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,044 ✭✭✭steve_r

Theres a theory that Fabinhos performance must be down to an underlying injury, but Liverpool are known for being all over the sports science so it would be surprising to see a player being played if not physically in the right shape. However maybe there’s something behind the scenes that we are unaware of

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,506 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

The most exciting thing is that Ibou is miles ahead of where VVD was at the same age, both in terms of top level experience and defensive intelligence.

Virgil was always an athletic force of nature, but he was 23-24 before he started maturing as a centre back and understanding the game at a high level. Konate has been doing that from almost day 1 with us, and he's only gone 23.

If he stays fit, he'll be a greater bargain than anyone we've ever signed.

Unless he's pushing for a bigger role or more money than we can give him I wouldn't be getting rid of Joe, he definitely has those mistakes in him but I'd be very happy with him as backup, especially seeing as he can cover both CB and RB pretty well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,044 ✭✭✭steve_r

Few interesting posts about the intensity levels and the attitude towards smaller teams.

My concern would be that the some of the senior players ( and I think Vvd is the biggest culprit) think the league is gone and the World Cup is the priority. They think the Cl is still possible so the performance levels in Europe are closer to what it should be - Napoli away being the exception.

Clear as day in the City game & last night VVD was far more aggressive and mean & it rubbed off on everyone,

Konate,Tsimakas,Thaigo Milner all where very aggressive, Even Trent left it on Kvaratskhelia a few time

Trent's performance wasn't much different to his usual this season (still got caught out on a few crosses) but the team's performance covering the RB spot was closer to where we need it. It feels like our system defends areas rather than players at times and Trent's performance can massively depend on how well he's being backed up by the midfielder in front of him.

That's not an excuse for Trent's defensive shortcomings...but we know he's got them and we know we have to do something about them, we can't just keep ignoring them and watching him get beat time and again. He either gets dropped or we find a solution and he's too good going forward/we have no viable backup to drop him.

MY biggest issue with Trent this season is he has been pretty awful attacking wise, 0 Prem assists to date,

I know its a knock on effect of the midfield as he can't get high enough to effect the game,

Its apparent to me after all the messing around with formation we are most solid in a 4-3-3 but we need to keep Salah closer to the box, he's still our most dangerous player and draws a number of defenders to him.

I'm really looking forward to getting Diaz-Nunez-Salah on the pitch together and see them gel, that should be a really dangerous front 3.

• Advertisement

Milner one was a bit strange last night ,

Originally it looked like he over stretched trying to block the ball but if you watch it back he never holds any where & after the game Klopp said he seems fine,

Was it the bang to head he got in the first half he came off right after half time ,Maybe Klopp & co don't want to say as he would possible miss the Spur's game with concussion rules but will check it out themselves & make a call ,?

Just seemed an odd one ,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,811 ✭✭✭Ottoman_1000

There was a phase in the 2nd half that summed up where Fabhinho is at this season. Elliot and Salah exchanges a couple of 1-2 passes along the wing with Elliot’s final pass a first time back heel into the space in front of Fab, but instead of striding onto it Fab actually first stopped, he then tried to get going again. The recovering midfielder then naturally got to the ball first due to his hesitation, he then made a half arsed effort to close him down by making an effort at pressing and then stopping again! In the end he was easily side stepped and he just gave away a needless free.

Fab for whatever reason has been caught on his heels all year and is just not convincing in anything he does. 

I noticed that exact moment last night and it really stood out. It was like he just wasn't able to go.

I remember years ago playing ball i got shin splints for about 3/4 weeks and it was the weirdest thing, i felt normal walking etc until trying to sprint/run then bam nothing. Clearly i don't think Fab has shin splints but it honestly looks like something similar is going on with him. He literally has no pace at all anymore and is completely immobile this season. Very worrying if it's not an injury and this is the new normal.

If we can keep Diaz-Nunez-Salah fit for after the world cup it would be a serious front 3 once we get some rhythm.

He was never the quickest but he looks stuck the ground most days now. Those little hesitant moves along with the lack of conviction in his press is almost making him redundant. You need to be fully committed and quick footed to win the ball back in those situations and Fab is neither currently...During the summer it was a case of additional midfielder would be useful if we got one in to cover for the likes of Fab and Hendo when they need resting. Now we suddenly nearly need 2 starting midfielders to replace both Fab and Hendo such is their drop off in intensity this season.

Diaz getting back on the pitch will be a defining moment for our season, whether it's a 442 or a 433 our team relies on the threat of pace coming from both wings. It's a lot easier to read the passes and double up on Salah when there's no one providing the same threat on the left wing, when we've 2 players like that (and Nunez running through the middle) it gives defenders exponentially more work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,506 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

If the club were after Tchouameni because they saw this coming with Fabinho, that makes it even worse that we didn’t bother signing our second choice, if there ever was one.

Sangare is having another great season with PSV, he’d have been ideal without breaking the bank, and we were strongly linked with him by some of the better sources. Could well see him arriving in January if there’s still any interest but it’s criminal that such a move wasn’t made in August when the writing was on the wall (or in layman’s terms, when Naby and Ox were written all over the physio’s day-planner).

I do sort of agree with this but he's still ranking top on most of the squad's "chances created" type stats so it does feel like a bigger problem at play rather than his attacking being worse than usual.

Exactly he was never quick but what's going on this season is basically immobility in footballing terms. I really hope it's a niggling injury as otherwise your are right this chap cannot continue to start for us every game and we need two starting midfielders next year.

ps delighted with the result and performance last night but i'm surprised we played such a strong team considering Spurs on Sunday is a must win. Great to get the win last night but it meant nothing (i know if we'd won 4 nil or whatever we would have went top but it was always unlikely) and sometimes i think Klopp tries to play the "badness" out of players. Not sure that's the way to go after last season and the clear fitness hangover we still seem to be under.

Lets see what Sunday brings, a win and suddenly things aren't looking as bad.

Been watching Fab closely in the last few games and he could be 5 yards from the action and will still look surprised when the ball comes his way

• Advertisement
Advertisement