Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

2022 Irish EV Sales

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,378 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

That's not waving, that's making a w*nker sign 😂

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,733 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

It's more the whole comments about Russia/Ukraine. From today's statement he might actually make Twitter a huge success

My purchase of a VW won't make any money for the Nazis

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭Fantana2

6.96kwp South facing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,944 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,749 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

@the_amazing_raisin - "the fact that the Model Y is a lot more expensive than the competition"

Is it? What competitor cars of similar size (and spec) are a lot cheaper than €53k?

• Advertisement

Yeah that's a pretty dire performance from Kia/Hyundai. They make one of the best EVs around and then they don't bother building any of them

I vaguely remember chatting to a Kia dealer about getting am E-Niro and he said that the UK and Ireland are in the same sales group or something. So Ireland gets what doesn't sell in the UK, which isn't much as you can imagine

Not sure if it's true or not but the numbers speak for themselves. I doubt there's piles of EV6s and Ioniq 5s littering forecourts of dealerships, so it's down to lack of supply

Its not that they don't bother building them but there was a huge issue with third party chips for the cars where three months worth of production had to be scrapped because they were all faulty through a manufacturing issue that wasn't spotted early.

Yeah okay, I already got corrected. I thought the Model Y was still up around €60k

The numbers speak for themselves however, Model Y is not doing as good here so either it's not selling or not being supplied

I find it hard to believe any EV these days is having trouble selling so it seems more like to be a supply side issue. I know Giga Berlin is still ramping up, but Ireland must be pretty far down the priority list as well

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭Jackben75

Hyundai wouldn't, the Ioniq doesn't offer much value and the 5.9% pcp is a serious put off. They are heading the same direction as VW id's - not good value

Yikes, I hadn't heard about that. Surely they just replaced the parts and didn't scrap the cars?

In any case, they should be able to secure supply of semiconductors. If other manufacturers are starting to get out of the crunch zone on supply then there's manufacturing capacity out there

• Advertisement

Jesus, that's nearly what I paid for my 1st Max. I'm starting to think I got a bargain 😳

There were cars built and then production was slowed as they had no semiconductors to finish them.

The largest automotive chip manufacturer is the one who produces for Hyundai.

Supply seems to be very good for January for Ioniq 5 as I've had a call from three dealers who I made enquiries with earlier this year saying they've some available in 58KW.

Yeah I kinda suspected they should have no problem getting semiconductors given that some of the largest manufacturers in the world are located in the same country

I really do hope that production picks up. Like I said, they've made one of the best EV platforms that's available at the moment and it's a shame to see if hampered by supply

So since it's October and we've seen nearly 15,000 new EVs on the road, almost double last year, anyone wanna take a bet on whether we'll go over 30,000 in 2023?

Personally I think 25,000 might be a bit more realistic, but I'm also hoping to see pure EV outselling diesel next year

@the_amazing_raisin - "The numbers speak for themselves however, Model Y is not doing as good here so either it's not selling or not being supplied"

Until a few weeks ago, the cheapest Tesla Model Y was €73k. Of course it wasn't going to do well, that was poor value for money. Tesla Model Y was the best selling car in Europe though in September of this year. It's not impossible it will be the best selling car in the world next year.

Of course it could, I never said it wouldn't. I'm simply saying that the manufacturer that's able to get past supply issues is the winner for this year

This year in Ireland, that has been VW to a large degree. There's a lot of different reasons for this but the main one I suspect is that other brands are focused elsewhere, or are having issues getting parts

But it's foolish to assume that past trends equal future performance, so the winner for 2023 is yet to be decided

A short while ago I mentioned that we might see 30,000 EVs sold based on the past few years of growth. But this is based on the assumption that there's demand for that many EVs and supply available, the second one being a questionable assumption

So, as I said, be careful with using the past to predict the future, a lot can go wrong with that 😁

Agreed. I expect there will be plenty of supply of Model Y whether they are coming from Germany or China. And I can see no reason why VW wouldn't keep up supply of the ID.4 either. Both are a very popular form factor and reasonably priced, so I'd expect both to sell well!

Out of interest, how much is a base ID.4 on the road? The volkswagen.ie website says pricing info is not available.

• Moderators Posts: 12,386 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

Does anyone else not think the Y is a bit of a pig? Reminds me of the golf+ in that it's like a 3 on stilts in some ways... Bad ways.

That would put me off buying one. The lack of dealers would put me off too. And the "everything in the screen" UX Tesla have seems excessive at times. Opening a glovebox for example. So many things required you to take eyes off the road and navigate through menus - I've not driven a Tesla, but these are my opinions that turn me off even considering one and I won't be alone in that.

It's reported that they are getting rid of indicator stalks as well. Seems a bit crazy to me, no need to go reinventing something so simple that just works.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,652 ✭✭✭✭fits

I don’t like the look of the y either.

I do like the model 3 and I’m sure it’s a lovely car to own

but as I’ve said already my main reason to not even consider a Tesla is their CEO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 207 ✭✭jimmyging

It’s funny what influences our decision to not buy brands if car yours is being the Tesla CEO fits . I bought a model 3 in 2019 and would never go back , it’s a super car , the main competitor at the time was VW and I will never buy VW due to the fact that while other manufacturers were developing battery tech they were building emissions cheat devices . That to me is inexcusable.

I guess different people prioritise different things. I’m pretty sick of billionaire megalomaniacs promoting conspiracy theories at this stage.

Yeah it's not exactly a looker. Looks like a Model 3 ate a Fiat Panda

I'm sure it's all awesome for aerodynamics, but I don't think it's a good look

They're gone already from the plaid Model S and Model X with the "yoke" steering wheel. I agree with you that seems crazy. Minimalism gone too far.

Have you seen one in the flesh standing right beside it? I agreed with your statement until I did. It looks much better up close in person. More like a Model X than a bloated Model 3. But yeah the only generally considered great looking Tesla is the Model S. And then the facelift version. The original nose cone version is now 10 years old and the front looks a bit dated.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,146 ✭✭✭innrain

I won't call it dire performance if we look at the whole group sales numbers. VW kinda choked Skoda. Hard to believe should Skoda have run their own sales model would not sell at least double the numbers.

The Koreans are at a better average and I left Cupra out from the stats although Born is quite an ID.3 with different coat.

I would say it's more about the delivery trend. There was a big rush of deliveries at first and then it tapered off, which makes sense given how new the cars are

But it's tapered off to a very low number. That's concerning as it could indicate that dealerships are having trouble getting cars to customers

There were issues with supply of semiconductors which probably explains why that happened.

The big question is what happens next, will Hyundai/Kia be able to fix the supply problems and fulfill customer orders, or are we so down the priority list that it'll be well into 2023 before we see the E-GMP cars in bigger numbers

I hope they do, every EV sold typically means that someone didn't buy an ICE car

@innrain - "VW kinda choked Skoda"

Hasn't that been going on for years? Back in the day, Skoda was considerably cheaper than VW. I remember buying an Octavia for my mother in law in 2003 and it was €17k on the road for the middle trim. A base spec VW Golf at the time (smaller, less practical, worse spec, worse build quality) was €21k

These days Skodas are no longer the great value they were years ago, their prices have crept up very close to VW

• Advertisement

Must be trying to get BMW drivers to switch over, them lads never use an indicator so no need for the stalk 😁

Yeah I was wondering why this didn't bother me all that much. Until I realised that most of my cars have been BMWs. Indicating is for peasants 😂

Stand so close you can't see the whole car... "She's a beaut!" 🤣

It's somewhere between a 3 and an X alright, but any time i've see them I don't see anything overly aesthetically pleasing. I couldn't pay that money for those looks. Model S is still a striking car. The 3 is also to some extent.

I've seen them up close and I'll admit it's better looking than the pictures. But still not good looking IMO

I know it's subjective, but I just can't see it as a good looking car

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,240 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

It looks like a duck from the front and an X from the back imo. Not a particularly pretty car, but it's a utilitarian tool not meant to be pretty - same as the 3

Why would someone choose to buy a y over a 3? Are they more spacious?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,871 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Way more spacious. Huge boot space and a bit more elevated than the 3.

Just looked it up. They’d probably sell by the bucketload if they released the 7 seater.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭sk8board

people buy a Tesla because it’s a Tesla. I know BMW have suspect reliability, but I have a preference for them. Completely natural

e.g look at the prices of ‘19 and ‘20 model 3’s - there’s very little gap between the SR+ and the LR (€1-3k), but there was €15k price difference when new. People just want to get into a Tesla, the model variant is almost immaterial.

Indeed LR’s have come down about €15k over the 3 years since first deliveries, nearly looking like value 😏

• Registered Users Posts: 5 ismailkho

56 Taycan sold in January is very impressive. Overall EVs definitely on the rise, need the charging infra to pick up at the same pace....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 886 ✭✭✭brownej

Not all semiconductors are the same. They are very very very specialized. The trouble Hyundai had was with power semiconductors in the motors manufactured by Infineon. Infineon reportedly scrapped 2 to 3 months worth of production and claim they didnt ship any affected product to customers. However Hyundais power module supplier reported much higher failure rates around the same time so on the surface it would appear that some defective chips escaped. Good news is that infineon have fixed the problem and managed to ramp up production so hopefully supply constraint should ease in the coming quarters.

• Advertisement

Way more spacious, hatchback vs saloon (a very unpopular form factor these days), has better spec and better stereo, will keep value better and costs exactly the same as the Model 3. It's going to sell by the boat loads despite being an over €50k car, a lot of money by any standard.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭MightyMunster

Model 3 is definitely better looking than the Y, more efficient too but the Y has the big boot.

Regards the screen, you very rarely need to touch it while driving as most of the controls are automated. You can also use voice control and you have all the basic functions on the steering wheel or stalks, wipers, headlights, audio, phone, cruise control, etc... User interface is streets ahead of anything that was around in 2019/2020 when I was looking and it's improved considerably since then too.

How often do you open the glovebox? I'd say I open mine every 6 months to get out the screen wipe and clean the screen when parked somewhere.

With no mandatory and expensive service intervals there's no need to visit a dealer, there's also mobile service agents that can come to your house or workplace to fix minor items if required.

I don't doubt you, but I'd say it's a barrier to entry for a lot of people.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭MightyMunster

I presume people trading in existing ICE for a rolling PCP with easy finance from VW bank is a big part of why VW are doing so well compared to a similarly priced but superior in many ways Hyundai, Kia or Tesla.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,346 ✭✭✭markpb

Maybe I’m being contrary but I hate voice control in a car. In the middle of a conversation with my wife and I have to tell her to shurrup so I can talk to my wheels instead. Listening to the radio - nope, gotta turn that off temporarily so I can ask my car to do something for me. Not to mention the kids piping up from the back and asking who I’m talking to. And in MCUv1 Tesla’s, you the lottery of having a patchy internet connection or the car just not understanding you the first six or seven times.

Personally I like the compromise of the earlier S & X cars - the infrequently used buttons are gone to the screen, AC is easy enough to stab at while driving or control from the steering wheel and the more common ones are still physical buttons. And we have an indicator stalk. And the top of our steering wheel hasn’t been apprehended yet!

I'll give credit to Google, the voice controls on Android auto are pretty good.

Much better than Helga from the ID.4 who seems to be half deaf

What annoys me about removing buttons is that it's an obvious cost saving measure on a car which costs over €50k to begin with

It's like Apple removing the headphone jack because "nobody uses it", not because they're trying to make the hardware as profitable as possible 😒

If it was a €20k car and the spec was cut to the bone for cost savings then fair enough. For over €50k I don't think it's unreasonable to expect the luxury of being able to change the temperature without mashing my finger against the screen while trying not to roll over a group of school kids 😬

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,346 ✭✭✭markpb

Apple removed the 3.5mm headphone port because it compromised the water-resistance of the phone, because lightening and USB-C offer better quality audio and because one less port makes the drive profile slimmer. I’ve never seen anyone from Apple claim it was because no-one used it - what they said was that few people listened to audio and chargers at the same time so combining the two into a single port wouldn’t negatively affect anyone.

I’m not sure Tesla are removing buttons as a cost saving mechanism either. I doubt the elimination of a button on a million cars compares much with the overhead of developing, testing, deploying and regressing the same feature in software over the supported lifecycle of the vehicle. I’ll give Tesla the benefit of the doubt here, I think they’re taking a very critical approach to the requirements of car design which is always a good thing. I’m just not sure the alternative is necessarily better. Maybe it’s just that they moved too quickly.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,200 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Tesla are engineering issues out by transferring moving parts to the screen, it also simplifies the looks and production process but I agree with others, I’d much rather have a wiper stalk, I’ve got used to everything else

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭Jizique

60k not to look pretty, with a CEO who supports Putin and Trump and is about to destroy twitter? Good luck and may all you neighbours and colleagues sneer at you

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭sk8board

Tesla have 2 production models doing 98% of its volume, and won’t be replacing either for many years to come.

that lack of a clear model lifecycle means a drip-feed of software & cabin updates is a necessity, as they come up against a constant stream of freshly designed models from other manufacturers.

The 3 and Y are not good looking designs imho (and that seems to be a generally accepted opinion), so they’re unlikely to age well, like the S did. As a minimalist though, I think the Tesla interior is the best there is, and that’s where I spend my time.

heck, Ferrari have had the indicators on the steering wheel for decades :)

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement