Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Very windy and potentially stormy Weds 2-11-22

13»

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,469 Mod ✭✭✭✭mickger844posts

Not a regular Yellow Warning here in Waterford. Intense rain and strong gusts this morning. 76km/h at my station and 104km/h at Waterford Airport.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,235 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Very dark and very wet atm in Greystones. Rain rate 49.4mm/hr.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,975 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Strange to see that ME have removed the Orange Marine warning for all along the West Coast it's only getting going here now

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,235 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Maybe updating?

Edit: See what you mean now - changed to yellow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,222 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Mace head gusting 60 knots on midday reports

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

Thunder and lightning in Athenry now, just a couple of a random strikes during a relatively calm period.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,673 ✭✭✭✭fits

It’s very calm now in Dingle according to a family member.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,940 ✭✭✭adocholiday

The wind has fairly picked up in South Wicklow but the rain seems to be moving through faster than forecast. Didn't get a huge amount of it In Rathdrum. Hopefully the wind will start to ease off soon now now, haven't seen gusts like this since Barra last December.

Squall passing through Greystones now with strong gusts and rain rate of 103.8mm/hr.

Jesus! Like a car wash now! Rain rate 188.8mm/hr.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭pad199207

Squall knocked out the power in Kildare

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,396 ✭✭✭esposito

Same in Dublin 16. Crazy rain few minutes ago. Cleared up now though.

Given the current conditions in Galway now I'm shocked that ME have removed Orange Marine warnings friend in Aran estimates Storm 10 at present

• Registered Users Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭CruelSummer

Just went out for a walk in Galway, thinking the worst was over - got caught in a huge squall that wasn’t anywhere to be seen on the radar before we left, winds picked up and thunder and lightning also. Are the warnings for this a bit undercooked? Saw many small accidents enroute from the city earlier.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 Bluespecs

House I'm in is 20 years old. Some structural damage has just happened to our roof just now - first time ever. Galway City

Serious wind gusts in Galway now this is way more than a Yellow warning 113 km in gusts

• Registered Users Posts: 24 Bluespecs

Defo. Just as well nobody was standing underneath our roof at the time....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,217 ✭✭✭pauldry

Escaping the wind in Sligo so far. Surprised to see winds near 100kph in Dublin. Yer not fit for that over there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

As I was settling for a snooze.. a great rattling deluge... I am in a modular house so it echoes like a caravan...

Itis feeling very much colder

West Mayo offshore,, safely above sea level.

Bar Mace head gusting 58 knots nothing particularly strong on the 1pm reports. Going to ease off now for most areas

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

Very heavy rain showers in Galway and wind has picked up. Athenry had a gust of 74 km/h at 1300.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

Mace Head is always an outlier sticking out into the Atlantic. Athenry is always more reflective of what's happening in Galway city.

39 knots at 1pm . As i said bar Mace head nothing to strong. Of course big gusts when the showers come along.

Lots of problems at Cork today , several diversions . Holding at Kerry and Knock also

• Advertisement

Have to say living in Galway City neither is terribly reliable, and despite Athenry being closer, today, like a lot of windy and stormy days Mace Head is a lot closer to the weather we're getting.

I've said it before, but the paucity of reporting synoptic stations means we miss an awful lot of data.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,462 ✭✭✭✭zell12

• Registered Users Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭Kutebride

All calm again since 1230. Be able to journey back to Meath now in decent conditions.

Mace Head is 60/70km away from Galway city and very exposed. Athenry is 20km. I would always add a few km/h the further west you go from Athenry but Galway city rarely gets the extremes that Mace gets.

NUIG weather station showing just 47km/h gusts but I am not sure how reliable that is.

It seems to be a fast moving storm. Calming down now in Galway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,626 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

A second surge of strong winds will hit the west coast especially southwest this afternoon around 4-7 p.m. ... a secondary low has evidently formed west of Clare heading towards Galway. Could be some localized tornadic wind streaks reported (south Clare north Kerry n.w. Limerick).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,987 ✭✭✭spookwoman

Just back in. Dunmore east was rough earlier when that squall was passing by hook. Tramore is blustery and sun starting to shine. Plenty of surface water around and debris from trees. Tree out front has lost a lot of leaves today.

2pm

Malin head gusting 55 knots

Shannon 54 knots

Mace head 54 knots

I don't have an anemometer but the gusts for the past hour hereabouts (Schull, Mizen Head) seem to be much stronger than previously.

EDIT - and remained strong for the rest of the afternoon, which ties in with MT's above prediction (post # 132).

Post edited by [Deleted User] on

"Should be a Red warning" camera pans around to show people out walking the prom 😵

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,986 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Gusting quite heavily on Northside of Limerick city. I've just been out chasing my Wheely bin😳

Well I decided on a nap and just roused by a loud ferocious onslaught of gale and precipitation.

and gone very dark.. as bad as earier today

But the forecast said that?

West Mayo offshore

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,668 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

Going very dark and ominous in Oranmore, Galway, wind picking up a wee bit again.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,238 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Top gust I recorded here in Co. Galway was 50.4 knots just after 12pm.

New Moon

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 12,137 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

At Kerry airport getting a flight to Germany, all flights seem to moving along well now, blustery especially in the showers. Hope I don't get a 95kmh gust though 😁.

Edit: should be 95km/h, no glasses on !

• Advertisement

Status Yellow - Wind warning for Clare, Cork, Kerry, Limerick, Waterford, Donegal, Galway, Leitrim, Mayo, Sligo

Met Éireann Weather Warning

Strong to gale force and gusty southwesterly winds, veering westerly.

Valid: 15:23 Wednesday 02/11/2022 to 21:00 Wednesday 02/11/2022

Issued: 15:23 Wednesday 02/11/2022

• Registered Users Posts: 4,693 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Lulls and strong gusts here in Cork City still, rain stopped and cleared to blueish skies but based on Meteorites post going to pick up again later on possibly

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,440 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Waiting to board a plane to dublin now. We should be good getting in at 10.30pm ?

Strongest winds of the day now in Greystones. Very gusty.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,977 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

All settled now in Cobh. Had an 85kmh gust, which seems reasonable. Wind of 56kmh sustained. Yellow warning territory from the sustained wind speeds, not quite from the gusts.

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭ascophyllum

GFS and UKMO called this very well, that area of strong winds in the Northwest on the back edge of the low never materialised despite a good few of the European models still forecasting them yesterday. ICON again way overestimated the gusts, they had wide swaths of 120 -130 as late as last night. Ye can't beat the GFS!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Dazler97

Ye where I'm going next week in banff rockie mountains its to be - 18 at night and skiing opens then because there's been so much snow

It is..... quiet... Storm all gone... Bliss....

West Mayo offshore

• Advertisement
Advertisement