Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland Team Talk XII: Farrell's First Fifteen

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,471 ✭✭✭Paul Smeenus

• Registered Users Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭irelandrover

Surprised to see Casey as captain. It looks a good team.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,458 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

The closing out a game premise is built on the assumption that we're winning and need to slow things down to see out a match. If we're chasing a game, or if JGP gets injured early, then we're goosed. Murray is incapable of playing the high tempo game. That's been evident repeatedly over the last few years.

He wouldn't make any other provinces match 23, he's not good anymore. It's a farce he's still getting picked. Bring in one of the provincial starters, or back one of the young lads.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭Shehal

If JGP & Keenan werent considered match fit they would be playing NZL XV, this selection indicates that they will be fit to play against the Boks.

I always found it interesting that Baloucoune played in the 11 shirt rather than 14 for EI...maybe there was more to that than meets the eye ( now watch him be picked in the 14 shirt with Hansen switching over and I have egg on my face!)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭Shehal

I also find it interesting that Penny hasn't been picked. Obviously he may just have been left out, its a bloody good BR for Ireland A, but could he have possibly impressed and is now considered part of the Ireland squad, after all VDF is only back training this week and Penny is probably the most VDF like back row we have in the squad.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,105 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

I like that side, looking forward to the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,105 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

Have just seen it pointed out Scott Penny not there, he could just be behind the players selected but also could be with the senior squad for the Bok game, especially if VdF a doubt. He played well on the EI tour, think he had two starts.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,169 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Big chance for Frawley to stake a claim for the 22 jersey in a test game. Potentially even a start against Fiji if it goes well.

McCloskey is probably earmarked for that game too if he isn't in the A squad. Starting two 13's instead. Big chance for Jamie Osborne. Has impressed me a lot when playing for Leinster.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,986 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

The replacement props have more caps than the entire starting XV.

On a related note, glad to see Moore back in the frame, even in a limited way. Don't know what happened back in the day but he's too good to be out in the cold any longer.

Nah, I really doubt that. Can't see Penny making the jump straight into an Irish 7 shirt, even if VDF can't go. You'd have to figure Timoney would have gotten the nod then.

It's unlucky for Penny, who has been excellent this year, but it's super competitive there.

I'm more concerned about our second row tbh. If Beirne can't go and we have a combo of Ryan, Baird & Treadwell, you'd have to say that's an especially lightweight second row trio. It is telling though that probably the form second row in Irish domestic rugby this season hasn't made the Springboks 23.

We're going to have a lot of guys very light on game experience this season with Keenan & JGP having played zero minutes, and Furlong only having had 40 mins v Connacht.

I'm curious to see McCloskey not part of that A selection too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭irelandrover

They have the same amount of caps. 58 each, although Stockdale has 35 of that 58.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,986 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

I'm curious to see McCloskey not part of that A selection too.

If the senior wings are Baloucoune and Hansen (as looks very likely), then McCloskey is the only fit outside back left to don the 23 jersey against South Africa.

Yeah, you're right.

Unusual choice for the 23 shirt given his lack of versatility, but I guess his physicality will be a plus if introduced.

If Hugo pulls up lame early on, we're going to have quite the rejig (presumably Joey to 15?)

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,483 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

That's the simplest swap for Keenan , the other alternative would be Hansen to 15 , Ringrose to wing and McCloskey into centre.

• Registered Users Posts: 762 ✭✭✭starkid

Hansen or Henshaw could play 15 if needed. Particularly the former

• Registered Users Posts: 17,169 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Henshaw has never played 15 for Ireland ever.

If he had I'm sure it would have been disastrous. But since he hasn't it's fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

Doubt he did enough to leapfrog Timoney though.

• Registered Users Posts: 762 ✭✭✭starkid

ha yes lets pretend it never happened, it was a car crash alright. I'd actually say he'd do better there now, he seems to have got back the zip he was missing that year.

I'd imagine Hansen is the option here, say if Joey came on 15 but moved to ten to close the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,840 ✭✭✭ionadnapokot

Has Frawley been ruled out for the SA game?

edit: i see he's in A team!

You think he's going to play against the Maori on Friday night and then bench against the Springboks 24 hours later?

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 41,590 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

yeah, hes starting against New Zealand A

he'll only get into the game against SA if theres an injury before the kick of the friday game

I also see Marty Moore is on the bench for A game.

Calling Ulster men - Is Tom O'Toole a better scrummager than Marty Moore? And what is he like in the loose?

No room for Doak in A squad. Farrell does not like Ulster SH's!!

Would have loved if they started with Jack Crowley in the A game. He has the potential to leapfrog Carbery in the full squad...If he gets the chance!

I would have had Doak in there (and Casey in the full squad), but it's not surprising not to see him given he wasn't in this squad originally.

that true i suppose. I would have had Doak in the full squad....if/as he should have been in the squad that went to NZ.

Doak, Moore and Crowley are three players i felt that should have been given scope to impress with the full squad this Nov. They all might be needed for WC squad if there are injuries at SH,TH and FH.

Maybe we'll see them for Fiji and Aus games.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,597 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

Unusual choice for the 23 shirt given his lack of versatility

It doesn't seem to be something that's puts Farrell off his selections for the 23 jersey. I think all of Chris Farrell, Henshaw, Hume and Aki have been named in the 23 shirt during his tenure.

(I'd be interested to see a breakdown of his 23 jersey selections tbh, but a material % have been centres).

EDIT:

If Hugo pulls up lame early on, we're going to have quite the rejig (presumably Joey to 15?)

And ya, Joey to 15 is exactly what I would guess would happen to limit the re-jigging as much as possible.

We saw as much in the Sharks game; with Larmour's injury, Leinster could've put Ngatai to FB, JOB to wing and Ringrose to centre, but instead chose to put Ringrose to the wing for a single change.

Post edited by aloooof on

• Subscribers Posts: 41,590 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Well the very best thing Moore and Crowley can do is to take their chance in a very hard challenge of playing New Zealand A.

if they can impress in this game, they certainly are doing all they can for RWC 23 which happens in 10 months time.

Yeah, you're right. He's predominantly gone that way. The only non-centres to be picked there are Earls & Larmour under him I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 755 ✭✭✭Zeugnis

Henshaw started at 15 against England in the 6N 2019. It was part of the pre-Keenan hunt to replace RK, and also involved temporarily screwing up Larmour's trajectory...

(edited to add... i seem to have missed some sarcasm...)

Had a quick look; he's selected a winger 16 times, a centre 11 times (tho wasn't entirely sure what bucket to put Will Addison in. Maybe the "injured" one at this stage...).

Interesting to see the distrubution more evenly spread for centres than wingers, but that could be down as much to injuries as anything.

Taking out Tier 2 games (Georgia and USA), it's 11:14, so a fairly even spread.

• Advertisement

and also involved temporarily screwing up Larmour's trajectory...

Larmour was actually Farrell's starting 15 in his first 6 Nations, so he had an opportunity under Farrell. (During which Keenan started to appear on the wing. By the time the ANC came round, Keenan was moved to FB and hasn't looked back since).

Advertisement