Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What’s your most controversial opinion? **Read OP** **Mod Note in Post #3372**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,654 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

Not particularly controversial, but my opinion is that the vast majority of the guff being spouted on this thread is edgelord nonsense that the people posting don't actually believe, and most of the rest is coming from posters who don't understand the issues they're ranting about.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,293 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

And there will be an even greater burden for the ‘haves’ to provide for the ‘have nots’ .Of course completely ignoring the facts that the ‘haves’ in the main are comfortable because they worked hard to enable themselves with money, house, car etc…

Very little positive in this life comes to people by accident…. You have to earn it…. But this scummy attitude of people having their pockets and wellbeing dipped to facilitate everyone else is an absolute joke,

• Registered Users Posts: 11,773 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

There shouldn't be special laws or requirements for travellers such as Co. Councils having to provide 'traveller specific' accommodation etc. There shouldn't be accommodations made for 'their culture' and they should have to tow the line with the rest of us.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭tastyt

I don’t know if this is controversial or not but often gets people’s nose out of joint .

There is a huge opening or opportunity for a political party that runs with policies of law and order . Build more prisons , put more police on the streets and re open the stations in all the towns and villages in Ireland. People are being intimidated up and down the country on the streets by little toe rags , scum , gangs that travel the rural areas and rob elderly people .

There is simply no deterrent when we have people with over 100 convictions walking the streets because we have no space in our prisons and people are turned around every day from the doors . A party that says it will stand up to the legal money merry go round which is happy for legal aid to run and run forever .

A party that tells the normal citizens that they come first and they will make the country feel safe and owned by the decent people and take the scum off the streets . That’s who I’d vote for . The misfortunates can get all the hugs they want behind bars while they are learning they will have to act a certain way if they ever want to be part of Irish society again.

At the moment the bleeding hearts are all carrot and no stick and the country is being ruined because the guards are being openly laughed at by the scrotes

• Registered Users Posts: 11,773 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

Ireland 2024 if we adopted all of Jimmy's ideas.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭guyfo

I believe that child support should be doubled for the first child and halved for the second and after that if you want to have more kids pay for them yourself. (With exceptions for the cases of multiple births obviously) Contraception measures should be free, including the surgical options. And if you don't have any kids that should be reflected in any "green" taxes paid.

Right now we punish people who have fewer kids and our taxes are used to throw money at those who are adding to an already well bloated world population.

Subsidising people to breed like rabbits while patting ourselves on the back for buying new electric cars and using straws that go soggy after a few seconds in your cup of coke is not how the planet is going to be saved.

Thanks for that - I had a search but couldn't find anything conclusive. It would be interesting to compare departments to see if there is one particular department causing the increase here in NI (eg health, police) or if it is generally across the board.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

The associated issue is that with a lower proportion of the population involved in private industry, income raised by taxation is lower, which in turn means in a United Ireland, the people in the South would have to pay more to replace the funding from the UK. This allied to leaving the EU and it’s free movement of goods, along with rejecting MNC investment would seem a uniquely stupid economic policy to have.

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭CrookedJack

Well, that's just illogical. Whether your property goes to your kids, the state, or me after you die makes zero qualitative difference to you. You're dead, you've no clue what happened to it. Therefore the unhappiness is all generated by you, in your head when you're alive. You're saying you won't work hard for anything in this life because you don't like the thought of the state getting it. that's a damning indictment of your character.

And the fact that you bring up generational poverty as a way to encourage generational wealth is just absurd. You realise that this would immediately solve that problem too, right? No haves and have not, just everybody working on building lives that they can enjoy and be proud of, and being fully supported by the state in doing so.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭thinkabouit

There’s far far too many GAA clubs in certain areas, Can think of 1 area near me that has about 5 and all about 2 or 3 miles from each other

all want floodlights, Astro turf pitches, club houses gyms etc

all have the hand out every year and wondering why there always struggling

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,731 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

The impoverished countries of sub-Saharan Africa, despite decades of receiving billions in international development aid, are still poor and miserable because they cannot govern themselves properly and are run by a corrupt kleptrocracy in nearly all cases.

Until they have good governance, they will remain mired in poverty. I've had heated rows with some of my left-leaning friends over this opinion. It has very little to do with so-called post-colonial exploitation and is largely self-inflicted.

Most dog breeds are the result of inbred and harmful mutations that would be better being bred out of existence. There are also far too many dog owners who don't care for their dog properly or give it enough time and attention.

The trend towards having children in the West at an ever increasing parental age is simply not sustainable - and this really needs to be addressed in terms of making it easier via incentives etc. for young women in particular to start a family in their 20s or early 30s.

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭Will_I_Amnt

I think he's right. Arsene Wenger and Alex Ferguson both spent 12 years managing and winning many trophies before they got jobs at Arsenal and Man Utd. The former in France and Japan, the latter in Scotland. So it's not a like-for-like comparison. It's the same with all the sudden reporting of women's Champions League and Premier League games - I'm sure there are a few, probably a very small number, but I don't know a single person who really cares!

GAA also, IMO, gets a hugely disproportionate amount of year-round coverage relative to the genuine interest in it.

My personal Controversial Opinion:

The media coverage of the impact of Bird Flu on the Poultry Industry here by RTE and other Irish TV channels wants to apportion equal GUILT for the industry's lack of preparedness on that of the consumer. And that's perfectly Okay in Ireland. Of course I'm not eating Christmas Goose / Turkey on Chrimbo day!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,244 ✭✭✭Brid Hegarty

As I expected, you couldn't recommend a better way for the climate activists to go about raising awareness. And if their work ends of being of benefit to the environment, it will be of benefit to you too.

And in that other thread you also failed to explain why you think Putin is smart.

I'm just pointing out from your own words that you don't value the danger of climate change, or perhaps don't believe in it at all. 

As far as I'm aware most of the art they target isn't damaged... like the Van Gogh painting that is behind glass. They typically use water based paints which wash off after they do graffiti. There of course examples of when they vent their frustration in the wrong way, but you must understand that the frustration is only natural. It was the same with the George Floyd riots; if a murder like that happens on camera in broad daylight, it would be very unusual if there was no backlash at all. But the frustration was only natural

Post edited by Brid Hegarty on

Oh yes, you're the guy who claimed (on July 18th of this year) that anyone alive in Ireland today is unlikely to see temps above 30c again in their lifetime. Then 25 days later Ireland got its hottest August temperature ever of 31.7c! Now I ask haven't you got, at least, a little explaining to do?

@Steve F The highest temp recorded was 33.3c in 1887 yes 137 years ago..that tells you all you need to know about the Irish climate...anyone alive today is unlikely to see temps above 30c in their lifetime again in Ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 13,504 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Her accent was atrocious but Brad Pitt did a decent Nordie accent in The Devils own , it’s customary to slate Americans doing Irish accents no matter if they are good or bad

• Registered Users Posts: 13,504 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Absolutely, no sacred cows , one of the most obnoxious terms commonly used is “ traveller specific “ accommodation

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Jequ0n

I did reply to you back then in the other thread, but it’s not my fault that you didn’t understand my answer. As usual.

I said it in my initial post what would garner more attention and admiration but I doubt we will see the activists getting themselves into any noteworthy dangerous situations.

Your supposed interrogation questions aren’t as smart as you think they are.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,204 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

I was at a place recently where there was an open field by the sea with "no camping" signs for us ordinary folk so we'd have to pay 80 quid for a BNB or camp somewhere way out of town. Directly across the road from it is an enclosed area with a bunch of mobile homes permanently installed for the travelers. Normal folks are also expected to take out a 30 year mortgage at some stage in their lives to pay for an overpriced concrete box

• Advertisement

• in my opinion if you want to drive half the speed limit, god bless, but if there’s room to move left and allow traffic to pass safely then you should do so and not doing that makes you an arse.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 freebirds

The Taiwan China situation is not the same as Ireland and Palestine. Ireland would be wise not to get involved. Best to be 100% neutral both People Republic of China and the Republic of China, Taiwan are powerful economies. This isn't black and white. See it as black and white with other nations, not Taiwan and China. Since 1945 and previously Taiwan has been a part of China

• Registered Users Posts: 18 freebirds

Surrogacy with those you already know is different then travelling to another country using the service of a woman in a vulnerable situation whether she's private or contacted by an agency. It is exploitative

• Registered Users Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭maninasia

luckily that is an opinion and not a fact. Taiwan is not China. Also before it was occupied by the ROC army it was occupied by the Japanese army not China and never by Communists. And one way or the other Ireland will be affected by conflict. Good to see Taiwan open a language institute in Ireland now. Bye bye Confucious.

Post edited by maninasia on

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Jequ0n

It’s a service like any other, and this is a supply and demand situation. People just lose their **** because they hear the word “baby” and suddenly it it needs to be banned.

• Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭Cal4567

I've seen it in the UK with some ethnic minorities but also then their second generation integrating more, but think that is common.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭tastyt

The GAA are one of the most discriminatory organisations in the country . Where I am from they have put enormous pressure on kids and their parents not to play other sports or they’ll never play for the inter county team or win a county championship!!

They have far too much influence around the country and it seeps into workplaces and careers , it can affect people moving to new areas ie if your not into the GAA you won’t be welcomed as one of their own . Their influence over the media is massive too , wall to wall coverage of club games that are absolutely terrible to watch . They seem to put their club games on a pedestal beside professional sports which is a joke .

We have world class athletes , competing to be the best in the world in boxing , rowing , cycling , golf and they get feck all coverage in comparison to some parish that haven’t won the Roscommon championship in 20 years in a mediocre standard .

A cult

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭cezanne

we should cease giving dole & medical cards to Ukranians as they have money of their own and are coming here for the benefits. The "misery of war" story is bullshit they could have all gone over to Wesrtern Ukraine i.e like when we had a 30 year war in the north, no one went to Poland & very few left at all and they could have just driven over to Donegal if they wanted.

The benefits and free food & accommodation is the magnet for this lot and loads of them are albanians ! Why cant we send them to |Western Ukraine & pay the hotels there which would be way cheaper since its our taxes they are recklessly spending. No lateral thinking in our government just waste money !!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,857 ✭✭✭growleaves

Rowing?

I am into cycling but in my opinion is the sport most ruined by drugs. Even some amatuer cyclists take steroids.

You have a point overall I think, but Kellie Harrington was recently complaining that she and other boxers got very little support from IABA.

The GAA goes to great lengths to build up networks of patronage and self-promotion which pays off handsomely. Meanwhile people are resigning from IABA and Olympic champions are saying its useless.

To promote a sport there has to be a groundswell of support and concerted action.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭Fandymo

Google “is heating up at almost twice the rate as the rest of the world”.

It was Europe yesterday, you’ll also find stories where it’s Antarctic, Canada, Australia, Middle East, USA, China and almost every other country/landmass. All heating up at twice the rate of everywhere else. It’s PROPAGANDA. Environmental doomsday “studies” are serious money makers.

Advertisement