Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Joe Biden Presidency thread *Please read OP - Threadbanned Users Added 4/5/21*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,616 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

Unclutch your pearls.

Appearing on Tucker is absolutely a red flag for me.

Do you deny that he is one of the most racist, bigoted and ridiculous conspiracy theorist on TV, or do you need links?

I'll absolutely listen to a report, but not on that chuckled**k's show.

I've read the report.

Do you want me to quote from it?

"In a March meeting, Laura Dehmlow, an FBI official, warned that the threat of subversive information on social media could undermine support for the U.S. government. Dehmlow, according to notes of the discussion attended by senior executives from Twitter and JPMorgan Chase, stressed that “we need a media infrastructure that is held accountable.”

Debunking what you posted, here's an example of where "a big tech company" clearly states that the government*doesn't* interfere with its free speech.

“We do not coordinate with other entities when making content moderation decisions, and we independently evaluate content in line with the Twitter Rules,” a spokesperson for Twitter wrote in a statement to The Intercept.

The intercept's report, which the ALCU retweets, says that there are people out there that believe all sorts of nonsense and disinformation, like the type behind COVID that got people killed, should be tackled where possible.

This point is clearly missed by you and others, notwithstanding it was about 24 hous or so ago when some of ye were posting about Pelosi's attacker being an inside job and the ****er who committed the crime was hooked up on conspiracy theories too.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,991 ✭✭✭Christy42

Tucker is not a news program, Fox declared it as entertainment to ensure the show didn't need to be tell the truth any more than Game of Thrones.

Did Fang even get on the actual Fox News news shows? They have them as well but tend to be less well watched on the basis of less lies.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,993 ✭✭✭✭JRant

Debunked has to be the most overused word in these threads. Nothing about that report has been "debunked", christ Facebook admitted that they took direction from government officials on what stories to throttle and surpress.

If you can't see this as an issue then fair enough but trying to handwave it off as "nothing to see here" while others discuss it adds nothing.

There's been a worrying trend of government agencies keeping tabs on citizens and it all really ramped up with that horrendous Patriot Act by Bush jnr. Since then it's only gotten worse and these latest reports highlight that.

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

• Advertisement

Nothing has been "debunked"?

The article says that this was all done in the dark. It wasn't.

So, now that the premise of your post (Nothing has been "debunked") is incorrect, can you consider the following.

If the government contacts a social media company, and points out that Post A is wrong, because of these facts, and the post is removed, that's not interference with the first amendment.

Misinformation is rampant, with Russian and Chinese bots spewing lies about COVID, Ukraine, 2016 election etc etc. People have literally died because of it.

Informing companies that certain posts are bullshit, while allowing the companies to make the internal decision to take it down or not isn't "suppressing the truth". It is an attempt to take away one of the main weapons used against democracies.

Christ, if nothing else, this very thread shows how gullible some folk are to the any whiff of a ridiculous conspiracy theory.

The article says no such thing. Nowhere does it say this was all done in the dark. They clearly state that the information used in the report is from documents released as part of a recent court case and publicly available documents. They even mention CISA extensively in the second half of the article. Having a system where a small cohort of officials can ask social media companies to remove content is a real slippery slope but I suppose as long as you agree with who they are suppressing for now then that's okay.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,278 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Appearing on Tucker Carlson should be a red flag for everyone. He's a lying propagandist for the worst elements in the US. Not to mention the fact that by his own lawyer's admission, his show is a load of old bollocks that nobody should pay attention to.

So, frankly, no "reasonable viewer" would give a fuck what journalist was appearing on it and for good reason too.

excerpts from the article...

"is quietly broadening its efforts to curb speech it considers dangerous, an investigation by The Intercept has found. Years of internal DHS memos, emails, and documents — obtained via leaks and an ongoing lawsuit, as well as public documents — illustrate an expansive effort by the agency to influence tech platforms.

The work, much of which remains unknown to the American public..

"Behind closed doors"

All of these are direct quotes. It is designed to get the conspiracy theory heckles up.

JRant - "Having a system where a small cohort of officials can ask social media companies to remove content is a real slippery slope"

Again, asking a platform to take down misinformation, having provided it with the facts to show that it is misinformation, isn't what the headline suggests.

Again, it is not suppressing anything. The companies are making their own decisions.

Again, it is not violating the first amendment.

FFS - the fact that Jones has waited years for his just desserts, or the fact that Bannon can continue to spew utter BS, or the fact that Keri Lake is STILL denying the election results publicly and is campaigning off that lie, is proof apparent that the first amendment is still as strong as ever in the US.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

Is the tide turning ?

The Washington Post says Biden and Harris should not run in 2024.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,272 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

"Some of ye"? Pretty sure i didnt post anything of the sort. Pathetic situation where posting a report written by left leaning journalists which was published in a left leaning news outlet gets you labeled as one of "them" just because it makes the current administration look bad. You're ok with literal fascism now then don't complain when people you don't like wield the same power.

So the article didn't say this was all done "in the dark". Hey, if you're happy with DHS, CISA or another government agency putting pressure on social media outlets to surpress what they see as disinformation that's fine by me. Not everyone agrees with that outlook and not everyone who disagrees with you is a conspiracy theory nut.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

Totally correct that social media companies are warned of potential misinformation campaigns from the appropriate authorities

That's not what this is though. Its the US government suppressing speech that they don't like and telling social media companies who to ban and what to remove

"The First Amendment bars the government from deciding for us what is true or false, online or anywhere.

Our government can’t use private pressure to get around our constitutional rights."

It's pretty clear cut

I think most people accepted Biden would be a one-term president with Harris being the nominee in 2024.

If I was running the Democratic Party I'd definitely be parachuting in Gavin Newsom to take Harris' place. I'd then ask Bernie or Obama to tutor him in giving speeches.

Obviously won't happen but it's what I'd do if I was them.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,828 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

If I'm running a respectable multi billion dollar social media website and there's a growing conspiracy theory that FBI agents are kidnapping kids and turning them into adrenochrome factories - why is the more disturbing conspiracy theory here that I called up the government to fact check that for my tens of millions of users?

If the US Govt had violated the rights of Twitter or Facebook best believe they would have sued them into oblivion.

But as you said, the government didn't make those moderation decisions, these companies did, after getting more information about certain disinformation campaigns and conspiracy theories. Either company was and is always entitled to tell the government to **** off, and if it wants, amplify whatever conspiracy theories either platform want to promote.

Only one of those is a conspiracy though. We know that government officials are in contact with these platforms to remove, surpress, throttle, information they seem to disinformation.

On the face of it there seem to be some legitimate 1st amendment concerns here while also calling into question whether these platforms should continue to enjoy section 230 protection.

What relevance is section 230 to this matter.

I still don't see the issue, if the govt is working with social media the same way it already works with the media. Despite words like 'suppress' bla bla bla - the US government has no admin tools on these platforms and they don't have the capability to punish the platforms for not updating their content to align with the perspective of the US intelligence community?

If the US had powers like this Fox and Newsmax wouldn't exist.

• Advertisement

Funnily enough though, they don't appear to be prioritizing such conspiracy theories though. Instead:

• "DHS plans to target inaccurate information on “the origins of the COVID-19 pandemic and the efficacy of COVID-19 vaccines, racial justice, U.S. withdrawal from Afghanistan, and the nature of U.S. support to Ukraine.”

And:

"They argued that the agency needed to take steps to halt the “spread of false and misleading information,” with a focus on information that undermines “key democratic institutions, such as the courts, or by other sectors such as the financial system, or public health measures.”

So basically, anything that questions government actions is what they are concerned about. They want only the government sanctioned 'facts' to be part of the discourse, no questioning allowed. Nothing concerning about that? I'm sure Bush et al would have loved to have the power to shut down any questioning of the WMD narrative at the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

What is your solution to combating the disinformation campaigns waged online?

Do you think the social media companies should alone use their own forensic channels for identifying them? Or do you support them utilising the federal tools available to them?

They could use section 230 as a bargaining chip. Tow the line or have life made difficult for them.

Well the example I gave was not per se one of the more widespread CTs going around, but 4 years ago yes on this quote above you'd have found Pizzagate instead of Afghanistan.

Truth is, Facebook set up this portal, for Governments, etc to contact them through and request (not demand) changes

Here's the portal

https://www.facebook.com/xtakedowns/login

This portal is for onboarded partner requests pertaining to content issues on Facebook and Instagram. If you are an onboarded partner, please put in your request through this portal.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,481 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

Don't they all have to have this kind of pathway anyway for GDPR "Right to be forgotten" type requests?

Anyone can send them a link and ask for it to be removed - For you and I we can only ask for stuff about us to be removed which they will either accept or refuse.

I don't see how this is all that different to be honest.

So it's a 2 way street:

Twitter issues correction and the WH deletes the tweet.

And fair play to them, the WH was correct, but also ignoring the fact the reason for the hike was the high on inflation.

And apparently Joe Biden has been on tour lately

He appeared on this radio program, where he was asked point blank what he's done for black people:

RICKEY SMILEY: Now that we’re nearly two years into your presidency, when have you done to improve the lives of African-Americans?

PRESIDENT JOE BIDEN: Well, I hope I’ve improved the lives of African Americans like I said I would do. For example, too many African-Americans were denied everything from Pell Grants, student loans, housing, etc., because they were arrested for possession of marijuana, many too many. Whites as well. So anybody who was ever arrested just for the possession of marijuana, their record is expunged. They don’t have to list it anymore. It’s going to free up a lot of opportunities. I’ve also made sure that we are going to provide for student debt relief. You have 70% of African-Americans received Pell Grants. And what I’ve done, I’ve forgiving loans of $10,000 for every eligible borrower, an additional ten if you had a Pell grant. And and you know those historic resources support. I’ve also put in $6 billion for HBCUs for a simple reason. You know, the students at Black universities are extremely qualified, qualified as anybody at any other university. But because they don’t have great endowments, they don’t have these significant laboratories that teach every the technical things that they need to be taught. And so this allows these universities to build these facilities so that now you graduate and you have the same training as you, whether you want to went to Harvard or you went to, you know, any other state university. And in addition to that, I kept my commitment. And I’m really excited about the fact we have the first Black Supreme Court justice.

RICKEY SMILEY: Yes.

PRESIDENT JOE BIDEN: Ketanji Brown Jackson is she is really something else. You’re going to be really pleased with her. I’ve appointed more female Black Americans to the to the courts, to the federal bench than–.

RICKEY SMILEY: Yes.

RICKEY SMILEY: I believe every other president combined. And so, look, there’s a lot. And by the way, you know, we now have a national holiday because I made sure that we’re going to deal with what we said we were going to deal with. But the things that I think make the biggest difference, Rickey, that people haven’t noticed, I mean, there’s not obvious is, for example, on vaccinations, I made sure that we went exactly where the Black community is so they weren’t left behind. So the number of percentage of African-Americans receiving their COVID shots is as high, in some cases higher than all other Americans. Because they didn’t want them being left behind. We went to their communities to make sure that the docs were available to give them what they needed. So, you know, listen, we were with police. We restricted, federally, chokeholds and signed executive orders, no-knock warrants. But I still support funding the police. But we should be funding the police, particularly in Black communities where you have, we have more social workers, we have more people doing the kinds of things that are equipped for law enforcement to deal with things other than by pure force. We have to hold cops accountable. Um, but, but, but we need police officers. I’m not a defund the cops guy, but I am fund them and give them assistance that they need, retrain them as to how they, in fact, are trained. That’s all. I’ve provided the money to do that. So there’s a lot going on. And I feel really, quite frankly, good that, you know, we’re replacing every lead pipe in America, ensuring everyone across this whole country has good drinking water. And I’m sure that South Carolina, anyway.

RICKEY SMILEY: Right.

PRESIDENT JOE BIDEN: But so so there’s just a lot going on. I’m probably talking too much, I’m sure.

RICKEY SMILEY: No, no, no, no, no, not at all. Pretty much answering all of my question, because everything that you’re saying was the question that I was going to ask.

He sat down on another podcast where the topic came up from Jason Bateman, hey why don't we just use the emergency alert system to remind people to vote (eh no) Biden had some remarks to that, pointing out no matter how apolitical there would be immense uproar to any such suggestion.

Now to matters of civility and political correctness

Biden is also planning a significant speaking event at the steps of the US Capitol to discuss violent rhetoric - I'm not clear on when this speech will occur

Post edited by Overheal on

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,384 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

Now I’m looking, the government’s anti Disinformation Department lasted only about three weeks.

• Advertisement

LIVE: Speech originally scheduled for 4 mins from now (7 PM)

If he follows most DC politics though expect 7:15 :P

Advertisement