Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BusConnects Dublin - Bus Network Changes Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,469 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

Why was that particular departure on the 60 running very slowly today? Was it heavy traffic in DCC that delayed it?

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭A2000

It usually takes 74 mins but was more delayed today probably due to increased passenger numbers. I believe people who would use g2 are using the 60 to ballyfermot and hoping to get a 76. They would barely make the 90 minute fare with these running times. The 17.30 has a similar arrival time. Even off peak it can take 55-60 mins to ballyfermot. It also seems to be running in a more timely fashion inbound while encountering more issues outbound

• Registered Users Posts: 4,020 ✭✭✭trashcan

I absolutely refuse to use the G routes in and out to work after last week. Was forced to a couple of evenings and it was a nightmare. I get the bus at the Kylemore Road/Landen Road stop. On a good day, on the 79a, I could be home, door to door in 35 minutes. On the occasions I got the G1 last week I left work at 5.15 and was home at 6.45. One of those occasions was because the 60 turned up at the stop and announced that the bus was breaking down and he was only going to the next stop. The huge hold up on the G route is from Mount Brown to Emmett Road, this has always been a horrible bottleneck. In the morning I’m lucky, there is a 60 at about 8.40, which is around the time I normally would have been getting the bus anyway, so the difference is minimal. In the evening it’s awful. I’ve been timing it so I can get the 60 scheduled for 17.40 from Burgh Quay in the evening (though it’s usually late) I’ll let the G1 and G2 go because I just won’t use that route unless I’m absolutely forced to. I noticed that even the 60 is taking far longer now. Why they couldn’t have left it on the old 79a route, going straight down the Colbert Road ? That would be one significant improvement they could make, as well as scheduling more than one bloody bus an hour. Pre pandemic there was a 79/79a roughly every ten minutes from Aston Quay. We didn’t realise how good we had it at the time.

It’s just not good enough, and comments about people being lazy etc won’t wash. It’s supposed to be a service, it’s supposed to be convenient. How dare they trumpet this as some sort of improvement. By any standards they have made the bus service to Ballyfermot from the city centre considerably worse. As the saying goes, don’t p1ss on my leg and tell me it’s raining.

Post edited by trashcan on

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,402 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

Lucan scheme is live

• Registered Users Posts: 2,212 ✭✭✭VonLuck

Is there a website with current timelines for the various schemes? I keep losing track of what's due when.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭mikeybhoy

Most of the complaints seem to be in relation to the G1 how is the G2 getting on is it better or worse than the 40

• Registered Users Posts: 1,415 ✭✭✭StreetLight

I would imagine that users of the unique section of the G2 covering west of Coldcut (previously the western end of the 40) would have been used to traffic delays in Kilmainham and James Street since, bar changing buses, they had no alternative.

Ballyfermot had the much quicker option of the 79 along the Quays. That has been largely taken away from them, so it's little wonder about the upset it's seems to be causing.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,515 ✭✭✭cgcsb

I just think the cycling provision is mad on this one, bikes get sent on mad detours and no continuity from lucan to city centre. There's an air of, 'sure who'd be cycling all the way out there' about it.

Post edited by cgcsb on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭Qrt

So they're planning toucan crossings on the same side of the Palmsertown footbridge, but nothing on the other side?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,020 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

And not just horizontal detours but vertical ones as well. Some nice steep bits for cyclists because of all the dropping down and back up to the level of the N4. Bridge ramps as well crossing the M50.

• Advertisement

If anyone was going to the Model Railway Exhibition at St. Paul's College in Raheny this weekend; I have found something to be quite a nice feature that was done by organisers of the Exhibition which is due to finish later this evening.

The Model Railway Society of Ireland had unveiled their new website on the 1st of October. They put up their exhibition poster to tell people about it as it returned as an in-person event for the first time since Covid.

In addition to the new website; the organisers added in a nice touch of putting in the latest timetables for the 6 and the H buses for anyone who wanted to go to it. They are placed beside the links for Killester and Harmonstown Dart Station.

There was a mistake with listing the bus timetables though. When I had a look at the timetables on the MRSI website this weekend; someone designing the website had made a mistake of making the H2 timetable to be linked twice. One of the links for the H2 timetable from Abbey St to Malahide was mistaken for the timetable of the H1 route from Abbey St to Baldoyle.

The timetables for the 6 & H3 were linked to the correct timetables for their routes.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,676 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Will anything be learned from forcing everything through Mount Brown for the Greenhills Rd..

• Registered Users Posts: 17,715 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

What’s the issue there?

They aren’t putting more frequent buses along Greenhills Road than at present?

Tallaght should see an improvement with the A3 along the N81 and Terenure/Rathmines being far more frequent than the 65/65b.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭Qrt

Tallaght buses into town aren’t really changing, the 49 is being replaced by the F whatever and it’s going a similar route, the 27 and 77a are being replaced by the D whatever and going the same ways.

The A3 will genuinely transform Tallaght. Tallaght hasn’t had a frequent route directly into town via that corridor in decades, maybe not even since the tram stopped operating? It’s always been a haphazard service.

The current 65 can do the journey from Jobstown to Rathmines in 20 minutes late at night, it’s the most direct route and the fact it’s so badly serviced as of now is a joke.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,515 ✭✭✭cgcsb

A bus gate at St James would effectively end the issue and doing that doesn't require planning permission but we'll wait another 4 years to do it anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,539 ✭✭✭john boye

Mad to think there was no route from Rathmines to Tallaght until as recently as 1999.

How did routes like the C & G/60 get on during the weekend? Was there anything of note about their service when there was diversions in place during the Dublin City Marathon & on Halloween night?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,805 ✭✭✭thomasj

There were about 400 people left behind on Aston quay about 4am waiting on the 39a on Saturday night/Sunday morning . And this is before the Christmas party season even begins

• Registered Users Posts: 1,182 ✭✭✭p_haugh

seen a video on social media of a c6 at one of the stops along the quays and was full of people, with tons more still trying to get on. Seems a bouncer from a club near the stop even came along to try clear out people still trying to get on.

By the sounds of people talking in the video, it was the first c-spine service in over an hour.

Dublin Inquirer article on the driver shortages:

Good to see that this is gaining publicity. It might force the NTA into actually doing something, such as coming up with temporary timetables that CAN be achieved.

• Advertisement

Irish Times are also doing a deep dive in the weekend edition.

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭hairymaryberry

You all around here still have no idea how bad it is getting and retaining drivers, more and more are leaving and it will get much worse with the roll out of the new rosters, they are brutal.

Many drivers are hanging in there to get the pension after 15 years and are leaving, others are not hanging around and are leaving as soon as they can get another job, we are taking about going to work in supermarkets, better pay and conditions, im not joking!

Training school have no new drivers on the books, 3 new bus connects routs where supposed to start in December, DB told NTA, "Not a chance, no drivers" the NTA "but, but , but the new pay deal was supposed to attract new drivers" in other words the NTA are clueless and come next year with the new rosters expect a significantly noticeable deterioration in service, you aint seen nothing yet.

The job is becoming incredibly unattractive for current and prospective drivers and the course the NTA have set will only make it worse, you don't have to believe me, you will see it with your own eyes in the coming months

Good. It’s high time that the NTA were called out on this.

They need to start producing customer focussed solutions rather than just simply fining the operators. And they need to start communicating with customers.

The total silence from them on the obvious problems with the RTPI systems is disgraceful.

They don’t seem capable of actually coming up with practical solutions to the effects of the staffing problems - which first and foremost should be to produce a schedule that can be delivered. No point in advertising a service that is impossible to deliver.

Also - get the timetables on bus stops updated for GAI services and BusConnected routes. Many of them are months out of date. The NTA seem incapable of sorting this.

It’s not good at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭A2000

We refer to your correspondence sent to the National Transport Authority on 17 October regarding the departure times for the 60 bus route and the G Spine services.

We are sorry to hear about your experience.

The Bus Connects Network Redesign was published in September 2020 following three rounds of public consultation. Consideration was given to over 72,000 submissions received over the course of the consultation and amendments were made to the final network as a result. The implementation of the new network then commenced with the launch of the H-Spine in June 2021 and has been continuing on a phased basis. There are a number of “Spine” services on the new network that are designed to bring the benefits of frequent services to people along the main bus alignments into the City Centre. We have generally found there to be significant increase in usage where the new network has been introduced.

The new G1 and G2 routes have been designed to provide a very frequent service (every 8 minutes) on their combined section between Ballyfermot and the City Centre (The G-Spine). Routes G1 and G2 are intended to provide an attractive, high-frequency service that is accessible to most residents. Route 60 was designed to cater for those who would find it more difficult to get to the "Spine". It covers a wide area and provides a brand new link for Palmerstown Woods, which has been requested for some time. Our general experience is that the majority of users who have a choice will opt to use the high-frequency “Spine” service (routes G1 and G2 in this case). We believe that there will be sufficient capacity across routes G1, G2 and 60, particularly with the extra school-term trips on route 60.

The new G-Spine runs via Inchicore for a number of reasons. The old alignment of the 79 and 79a via the quays is already served by the C-Spine services so the G1 and G2 follow the path of former route 40 via Inchicore instead of former routes 79 and 79a. This gives a regular service to all of the residents and businesses along the Spine section, which gives them more access and connectivity to other services on the network. The alignments of each Spine in the City Centre are designed to maximise interchange opportunities between the Spine services with a short walk between stops where possible. Additionally, each alignment, including the G-Spine, is consistent with potential future changes to the local road network.

We are actively monitoring the performance of the new services and your feedback is very helpful. P

Peak-time traffic conditions along the alignment, and throughout Dublin, have been particularly poor in recent weeks making some services run late. Due to the traffic conditions, some trips arrived late at their destination and operated a curtailed trip on their return journey, missing out some stops to get the overall service running on time again and leading to longer waits at stops. We are aware that all this means passengers’ journeys are taking longer than they should. We are sorry for this, and we are working with Dublin Bus to add resilience to the schedule so that this does not happen. Please be assured that Dublin Bus and we are closely monitoring performance along the routes and are addressing matters urgently. 

We are using your feedback in conjunction with our running-time data to fix issues in order to achieve better punctuality and reliability along the new routes, which will bring an overall improvement to the service as soon as possible.

Response from nta regarding route 60. The qustion asked was why the term time departure on the 60 was at 8.40. They didn't answer.

The only good thing that I’d take from that is that they’re clearly looking at the running times.

But that’s not going to change overnight - it could take 4-6 weeks to fix as it involves changing driver rosters, which does take time to redesign.

I would suggest raising the issue of the additional 60 service timing again directly with them.

Post edited by LXFlyer on

Running times for the G spine are being changed in the next two weeks

While that will address reliability It still doesn’t address the other big problem that people have of the longer journey times.

Given that rosters change on a Sunday that would suggest Sunday 20th November which would be five weeks after the launch, which would be in line with my comment above.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Will it ****, the great work will continue regardless of the grumblings of the plebs, the Irish civil service does not make mistakes.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,212 ✭✭✭VonLuck

I noticed this as well. It stopped outside the SuperValu (which I didn't think was a designated stop for the 39a) and then sailed by the actual stop on Aston Quay. The bus wasn't even full!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 626 ✭✭✭lordleitrim

Happened to me too on Sunday night at about 2am prior to all the clubs closing. 39A flew by a crowd of us on Essex Quay after I waited almost half an hour. Had to walk to Stoneybatter before I could get an available taxi and pay 30 quid to get home. I can only imagine the later buses failing to pick up the larger crowds between 2 and 4 am. Its pot luck anymore whether you can get a seat on weekend night services. At least with the old Nightlink on that route, as long as you arrived earlyish on Westmoreland St., you were guaranteed a seat!

Advertisement