Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread XII (The Byrne Supremacy)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,982 ✭✭✭realhorrorshow

I think forwards who have been within the Leinster set-up, particularly under Lancaster, are extremely attractive to other teams. I went back five seasons and Oisin Heffernan was the only forward I could find who went to a team outside the top flight in their respective country (Michael Bent did go to Taranaki but I think that was more of a semi-retirement).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭ulsteru20s

Anyone else see this?

I sometimes think Jackman enjoys trolling Munster fans. McKee starting over Barron seems a bit fanciful, and Buckley has the profile of a back row like hooker that every province is looking for. One performance vs the scarlets, and McKee could start? Barron has been pretty good this year and is on the ireland A team.

I think he's taking the piss here a bit and have to applaud it.

Yeah, I think it's just clickbait. McKee looks a good player, but he's only played 80 or so mins of rugby this year, and there isn't enough in that to suggest he's going to be a better player than Diarmuid Barron, who's also looked good this year. They're relatively similar players in that they're dynamic and quick in the loose, with good handling etc, but still both have question marks around line out throwing etc.

Neither are physical freaks like Sheehan or Kelleher.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,205 ✭✭✭crisco10

It surprised me also because clearly Leinster haven't trusted McKee to close out other games this year. Preferring to ask Shehan to play basically the entire match on multiple occasions.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,172 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

McKee looks like a super prospect in his own right. Just not quite at the level of Kelleher and Sheehan who are still just 24.

I actually think Kelleher's recent injuries have caused him to become underrated by a lot of Ireland fans. Some of his performances in recent years have been incredible. He was one of our best players against New Zealand in the 2021 Autumn Internationals. Excellent in the Champions Cup as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,663 ✭✭✭arsebiscuits1

There is elements of how short memories people can have regarding Kelleher alright.

And that's not a slight on Sheehan who has been immense.

Kellehers ability to win collisions he has no right to on either side of the ball is astonishing at times. He can just stop people dead in the tackle.

I hope he gets a solid run of injury free games

Kelleher is a very good carrier as well. Doesn't quite have Sheehan's speed, but has a bit more power to win those tight collisions like you were saying.

If both were fit I'd select Kelleher ahead of Sheehan still.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,581 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

Kelleher is a serious unit. His ball carrying is immense. Sheehan is probably in pole position right now. Munster have 2 decent lads in Barron and Buckley, both who will likely improve. McKee is still just a prospect, he's got little game time and has a ways to go. Why would Munster want a lad who's still developing? They have 2 of their own developing. As far as Treacy goes, his experience goes a long way within the squad. He's got some time left. He's undervalued by a lot of us. He should be returning to the squad in the new year. When the international lads are off, McKee and Treacy are a good option.

A few years back, Leinster supporters were thinking that the province couldn't develop hookers. Look at the past 3 years!

I think if both are fully fit, they'd be the two test match hookers for the Lions.

How good is Barron, the leinster one i mean?

The conspiracy side of my brain tells me that leinster want to keep someone further down the depth chart that other provinces are sniffing around, and offering McKee up as bait.

On Kelleher, I still think he’s crucial to our chances at the world cup. He’s devastating in collisions and a great scrummager.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

I think Jamie George would be there or there abouts as first choice to be honest.

I don't think so anymore. At his peak maybe yeah, but he's not that guy anymore, and rumoured to be heading to Clermont.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,394 ✭✭✭FrannoFan

That's some bizarre logic there. Leinster Barron looks too light to be a serious prospect at hooker (I'm ignoring listed stats because one look at him you would know they are nonsense)

McKee is the better prospect both short and long term that's why he is playing.

Wouldn't expect any other provinces to come sniffing around for Barron.

Connacht have Tierney martin coming through behind two relatively young options.

Ulster have herring, Stewart and last year's 20's hooker who looked a prospect

Munster have scannel, Barron, Buckley and another as far as I know

The thing is, Jackman is plugged into Leinster in a big way, and I dont remember him ever touting a guy should go to another province who was of the kind of quality to be a game changer. There’s definitley the possibility of some kite flying here.

It’s also frankly weird. McKee doesnt pop off the screen as an elite prospect that would parachute into the top of munster’s depth chart. He barely got any minutes as Sheehan played almost full games every game in a world cup year. Bench hookers usually get more minutes. Leinster aren't the first team to kick the **** out of the scarlets away.

The most likely answer is that Jackman is doing some light trolling, though.

I would say Munster do need a hooker. Scannel, i doubt will be re-signed. He gave away the dumbest penalty i have ever seen against us at a critical point and is just not a vet leader. They need a hooker at the top of their chart to rotate with Barron. Not a good but not great prospect.

Jackman is a pundit. I would assume he's not got much inside info. McKee would struggle to get ahead of Barron at Munster. He's fine where he is, he will likely be given a contract and with the international lads away, he would get valuable minutes.

I disagree that Jackman doesn’t get inside info. He’s often the first person to drop new contracts & signings publicly, at least for leinster and recently ulster.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

He’s also extremely lazy and does little or no research. Especially about provinces that aren’t Leinster.

This is true. He can barely pronounce names usually.

One thing I noticed - I think the England - South Africa game (and Australia-Wales) fall outside of the official international window, thus the expectation is that a lot of the English and French based South African players will not be available to SA.

I presume in this scenario Leinster will do the same with Jason Jenkins and not release him for the game? Leinster play Glasgow in the RDS on the same day as that SA game.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭RichieRich_89

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,157 ✭✭✭Serbian

I’d be surprised if we don’t release him. He’s probably not going to get many opportunities to feature for South Africa, let him play and keep him sweet. We don’t need him for Glasgow imo.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,471 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Release him but if he gets broken they give us Etzebeth instead

I guess it'll depend on how Ryan/McCarthy/Molony/Baird come through the next few weeks. If they're all injury free then it makes sense.

If we're down numbers though then we should 100% pull Jenkins out.

I don't think Leinster would block Jenkins should South Africa select him. He has already made a huge difference to the set piece. Keep him onside when it comes to contract renewal time.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,966 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

I see no reason to expect Jenkins to make the team in the first place.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,106 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

Of course Leinster should release him to play if he's picked, whether it is outside the window or not.

So P McCarthy may switch to lh? Where would that leave us for future this? We've got Lasisi and McGuire in the academy. Are they highly rated?

What about Boyle? Would McCarthy be seen as a better prospect?

Supposedly Paddy McCarthy has been tearing up trees for Trinity in the AIL, and Tony Smeeth said something along the lines of "We won't have him (at Trinity) for much longer...", so he looks like being a serious prospect.

Hard to have any read on Boyle, given he's been injured for a while. He looked excellent at U20s, but hasn't played a huge amount of rugby since.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,471 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

McGuire and Boyle have both looked class at u20 but how often do we see that not translate to senior rugby.

Advertisement