Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Liffey valley to start charging for parking

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,611 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Not sure, two of my teenage daughters work there (in clothing retail) and they reported this week was busy. I'd say for the likes of M&S who got a lot of people just hopping in to do a quick grocery shop, it will be bad. Cinema is as busy as it ever was (they validate parking ticket for free)

Not sure how it will be for the takeaways, 15 minutes free parking is tight, they could have done 30 minutes. Personally I wouldn't want to be paying €15 for a takeaway that used to cost €12.50

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 974 ✭✭✭erlichbachman

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 667 ✭✭✭lordleitrim

I'd imagine for every person complaining about it in this forum, there are another 20000 shoppers continuing to go about their normal business at LV like they do at Dundrum, Pavillions, Jervis, Ilac, Stephen's Green etc where paid parking is the norm. No one likes having to pay for parking but locals saying they'll now travel to Blanch (where they either pay 2 tolls and/or endure an extra half an hour each way of a congested M50 or back roads) just to save 2.50 (what about the extra fuel/toll/time etc) seems self defeating and cutting off your nose to spite your face.

However I don't like how LV has pitched the reasoning for paid parking. "To discourage non users of the shopping centre from using the carpark." How big an issue was that truly? I'd imagine very few people drive to LV to park and use facilities outside the SC? Any of the adjacent businesses/hotel/car dealerships etc there all have customer parking.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,303 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

So arguing about parking that may or may not even effect me isn’t the pussy move?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,839 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

I can't understand what it is about the introduction of paid parking in LV in particular that has people so incensed. As has been mentioned, paid parking is the norm in plenty of other shopping centres and never attracted the ire that this has. I also don't get the "poor staff" argument - the vast, vast, vast majority of working people in this country incur a cost in getting themselves to work. I work in the city centre, it costs me €4 a day to get the bus in and out or if I want to drive, it'll cost me the guts of €30 a day for parking.

Yeah, the reasons given for bringing it in are cynical at best - just admit that you needed another revenue stream - and the whole pay-on-exit thing is absolutely nonsensical but I still can't quite get my head around how affronted people are by the whole thing. It's bizarre.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,586 ✭✭✭veryangryman

Liffey Valley isn't in a town centre. It is at a Motorway junction.

Out of town retail parks nationwide have free parking. Examples: Mahon Point in Cork, M1 retail park in Drogheda.

Why do people defend profit-taking under the guise of it being to "encourage public transport".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,141 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

Because they quite simply are asking you to pay for the privilege of spending money in their shops

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,839 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

As is the model in absolutely loads of other places. It's not as this is some earth-shattering bucking of a trend, like.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,274 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Its not that simple at all and yes of course most other Dublin shopping centres do charge to park, like the Square and the Pavilions.

LV's problem is that they have been there 30 years or so and never done it before and long time customers probably feel like they spend more than enough there to justify free parking on site.

Also, they have sought to introduce these charges in the teeth of the biggest consumer belt-tightening period in 14 odd years. They have also been publicised treating the staff on site pretty ruthlessly in the same move and people don't like to see poorly paid workers be the butt of any policy. Thats before we even mention that the IT system to manage parking, is completely crap.

No doubt LV would protest and trot out all the planning conditions they are subject to and the sustainability obligations and the proposed improvements of bus services to the area etc, but ordinary punters don't give two shytes about any of that guff and irrespective of all the public relations bulldust, all people know is that they are being charged for something that they were not been charged for before and if they have a choice they will go somewhere else, even if that somewhere else charged to park all along.

However LVs biggest issue right now, apart from the poor publicity, is its nearest competition, Blanchardstown, remains free. And no amount of green credentials will change the damage to them from all the above.

It'll be very interesting to see how long their tenants put up with the losses they are seeing....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,016 ✭✭✭appledrop

They have lost me as a customer and I was there at least once a fortnight if not weekly, haven't been there in 3 mths.

As I said before issue for me wasn't paid parking at such but absolutely shambles they have made of place since we'll before summer with the roadworks to introduce these changes. And people here reporting still not finished!

Then they go and introduce a ridiculous system where people can pay at barrier, an absolute receipe for disaster.

No thanks I want hassle free shopping.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 544 ✭✭✭Name Changed

I'm glad to have another reason to go somewhere else to be honest. It's a kip.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,186 ✭✭✭lau1247

It is nothing but money grabbing opportunity, if they truly want to fish out the non user, they can simply have the first 1 or 2 hours free and charge a fee thereafter.

West Dublin, ☀️ 7.83kWp ⚡5.66 kWp South West, ⚡2.18 kWp North East

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,174 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

They are getting people used to paying for parking before they improve pubic transport.

If they really wanted to move people to public transport they would have got that sorted out first.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,299 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

While I'm annoyed at the charges and haven't been since, I don't know why you think it's a kip. It's pretty good shopping centre and the cinema end is great. In what way is it a kip?

On a side note, was in the retail park today wouldn't be surprised if that's where the staff park now as loads of cars there

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,512 ✭✭✭Wheety

Went to pick up a Dominos at Tesco on Saturday around 5pm. Car park in there was busier than I've seen it before. I had to park outside the covered area. Saw people going back to their cars with Lifestyle Sports and Boots bags. Wonder what Tesco will do about it. Will cost them now to set up barriers if they want to stop it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,334 ✭✭✭facehugger99

Went to Liffey Valley last Sunday for the Black Panther movie followed by food and shopping. The parking charge came to €7.50 but was covered by the QR code they give you on entry to the cinema. Very easy to validate at one of the many machines.

If you're planning to stay there for a good while it is actually cheaper to buy a cinema ticket than to pay the parking charge - you don't even need to go to the film.

There was a small protest by some of the shopping staff at one stage outside the main entrance, chanting "no way, we won't pay". They really need to come up with a better chant because you come off sounding like an entitled freeloader chanting that.

The car park and entrance roads were as busy as ever when we were leaving so despite the on-thread moaning, there are plenty of customers still using the shopping center.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,645 ✭✭✭Gusser09

What a cluster f**k.

I was up there last week to drop somone to the cinema. No set down at all. 15 mins to get in and out. The Car Park and the cinema side was full but no signage to let motorists. Just a guy with a few cones blocking the entrance to it which resulted in confusion and carnage. Not only was this a bad idea but it has been extremely poorly executed.

I can imagine employing the lads with the cones (there must be a dozen of them at any one time) costs more than the parking fees generate. Ridiculous implementation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,186 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Are the roadworks still on the go as well?

© 1982 Sinclair Research Ltd

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,065 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

I don't shop anywhere I have to pay.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 667 ✭✭✭lordleitrim

You know a shop that gives you things for free?? Please tell!!😜😜

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭walterking

Lets assume at 50% capacity. That's 1750 cars @ €2 (excl vat) - €3500 per hour. Even allowing average stay of 90 min, that's €2,333

12 lads @ €17 an hour (incl employee prsi + holiday) = €204 per hour

Net income per hour €2129

I also believe most retailers are in favour and I know of one that says it has improved business by a noticeable amount

Thanks @walterking - goes to show that simple assumptions, like the one I made, are often baseless and just wrong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 204 ✭✭Cakes and Ale

Anyone else notice when going from Argos/B&Q side back towards the centre the time at the new set of traffic lights is painfully short? Took almost 15 minutes at 11 in the morning to get through the junction. Surely they couldn't keep these lights timed like this...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,892 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

Stupid idea getting rid of the roundabout, utter shíte whoever planned this whole road layout.

Also with regards Tesco they could put barriers up and you get your ticket validated with every shop, depends on what knock on effect people parking there makes.

Also been over a few time to drop off and collect family and one night on M&S side going in the camera misread my number plate still got out ok but for the more dirty number plates I can see issues. Going in another day saw a queue of cars going in behind an old lady who had driven right up to the barriers so camera didn't read the number plate. No staff around to help her either.

Should really have gone with the old school take a ticket insert a ticket when you leave system like most other carparks.

In my opinion the owners have destroyed what used to be a decent shopping centre.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,301 ✭✭✭emo72

The middle car park is still closed?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,676 ✭✭✭Darwin

I was in there this morning, paid for my parking at the machine outside M&S. At that point it asked my to confirm my reg (from two options) which I did. My car reg was clean and nothing out of the ordinary about it. At the exit, the barrier would not lift, it was asking me to pay again. I had to dial for help and it took another 2 minutes before they let me out, in the meantime a queue of annoyed people behind me. I really wish they would use a ticket system, I pity elderly people they seem to be totally confused by it all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,299 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Was there today, god help us with the traffic lights. Hopefully it'll be a lot better when other lanes are open

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,512 ✭✭✭Wheety

We're nearly in December now. It'll be crazy. It's normally mad busy but with the delays from the roadworks/new layouts and the car park there will be a lot of frustrated people.

Advertisement