Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cort City - Gentrification

Options
  • 12-05-2017 1:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭

This post has been deleted.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭KCAccidental

Barrack Street.

with the rates reduction I think it's already on it's way, but with plenty of students around and already a few hip places open it will become a bit of an artsy hub before long.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,038 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Barrack Street.

with the rates reduction I think it's already on it's way, but with plenty of students around and already a few hip places open it will become a bit of an artsy hub before long.

Douglas Street and Barrack Street areas have been looking like becoming a hip area since the late eighties. Still hasn't happened, though. Barrack Street is like a bit of a ghost town, businesswise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 910 ✭✭✭BlinkingLights

Shandon.

I think you'll see St Luke's & Wellington Road becoming much more expensive. They're not in need of gentrification but I could see them moving very upmarket.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,007 ✭✭✭opus

Shandon.

I think you'll see St Luke's & Wellington Road becoming much more expensive. They're not in need of gentrification but I could see them moving very upmarket.

I moved to Shandon just in time so :)

Always thought Douglas St was crying out for gentrification but it seems to be stubbornly resisting. Maybe once that hotel on Sullivan's Quay goes ahead and if the event centre ever gets built it might kick start it & Barrack St also.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,716 ✭✭✭Balmed Out

Not cork city but cobh is improving

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭draiochtanois

• Registered Users Posts: 4,716 ✭✭✭Balmed Out

20 years ago not many cafes etc in cobh and felt rough, now loads more businesses and tourists. A lot nicer than any other close commuter towns imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭Pitcairn

Keep your eye on Blackpool. Loads of cute cottages and close to the city centre.
    Residents are rightly complaining of dereliction in the centre of the village but all those buildings will be worth a fortune in ten years.

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭BUNK1982

Pitcairn wrote: »
    Keep your eye on Blackpool. Loads of cute cottages and close to the city centre.
    Residents are rightly complaining of dereliction in the centre of the village but all those buildings will be worth a fortune in ten years.

I was stuck in Blackpool traffic the other day and it was the first time i noticed the bull mosaic in the side of the red brick cottages - very cool.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,444 ✭✭✭goochy

yes but why was nothing done about these areas in last boom ? unfortunately in this country theres nothing to say they will be sorted as its all to do with who owns buildings and planning.. look at Dublin booming for many years now , doesn't stop it having lots of dereliction. That's Irelands city councils for you.

• Advertisement

Pitcairn wrote: »

Risk of flooding might hamper that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭whatever76

Top Of Patricks/Richmond hill looks to be changing a bit - was up around there recently lots of people chilling out on the field ( I know weather helped !).
    Wonder if there opportunity for the shop to open as Café of some sorts there - you be amazed at amount of people stroll up for the view in the field - or maybe where the young offenders was filmed lol !! Its so near town its prob hard to tell .

Barrack street and Douglas Street don't have many houses so opportunies for gentrification is minimal even if all the empty units were turned into houses.

St Lukes on the other hand does have lots and lots of houses :)

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭Frostybrew

Augeo wrote: »
    Barrack street and Douglas Street don't have many houses so opportunies for gentrification is minimal even if all the empty units were turned into houses.

Plenty of opportunities to utilise the upper floors of both streets. There was a successful "Living Over The Shop" scheme to encourage conversion of underused upper floors to residential back in the nineties. Involved generous tax incentives. Would love to see something like this put in place for both streets.

The surrounding streets and areas are also heavily residential.

Frostybrew wrote: »

The surrounding streets and areas are also heavily residential.

So to facilitate gentrification where do all the current occupiers go? If they aren't partaking in gentrification to some extent as things are?
    I know of quite a few professionals living in the surrounding streets btw.

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭Frostybrew

So to facilitate gentrification where do all the current occupiers go? If they aren't partaking in gentrification to some extent as things are?
    I know of quite a few professionals living in the surrounding streets btw.

I imagine they wouldn't have to go anywhere, as it's derelict and underused property which will be redeveloped. There is an abundance of both in the area.

Frostybrew wrote: »
    I imagine they wouldn't have to go anywhere, as it's derelict and underused property which will be redeveloped. There is an abundance of both in the area.

I don't think there is to be honest.
    Looks like we won't agree.
    Time will tell of course :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4 mich333

Barrack street seems to be more lively: construction of new housing ongoing, restaurants, pubs and cafes, Elizabeth fort having tours.

• Registered Users Posts: 494 ✭✭timmyjimmy

Few cute small houses on the top of Patrick's hill at the moment. Even 1 of them was shared in Yay Cork recently.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 494 ✭✭timmyjimmy

Ah thank you - I didn't search Richmond hill- I know these ones . Small but nice - traffic on that road can be busy though ! Mad price but then I saw on PPR no 10 went for 232 k in Summer 😮

Advertisement