Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Borderline personality disorder

Options
  • 25-10-2022 12:23am
    Registered Users, Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 4

Anyone have some experience of getting a Bpd diagnosis in Ireland?

I feel like I'm jumping through hoops...what do they ask..how do they diagnose me..scan/interview.. I dont even know i feel the more google searches I do on this whole bpd topic..the less results or diagnosis I find. Or it tells me a gp diagnosis me ,except my Gp says she doesn't deal with mental health..anyone experience in this please ? 🙏🤦‍♀️

Post edited by Spear on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,697 ✭✭✭nothing

Ask your GP to refer you to either a psychiatrist or the community mental health team (which includes a psychiatrist).

They'll take a history, probably a few short questionnaire type things too. I *think* in Ireland that's the only way to get diagnosed, though I'm open to correction.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,300 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Confirm your email address so you can post properly, and then I'll move this to a forum that's actually related to the topic instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 freebirds

I would suggest don't do it. It is a discriminatory and stigmatising label. There is huge stigma in the medical field against people who have such a label of their records. DBT is the therapy that is offered for people who receive that so called diagnosis. DBT is highly problematic, therapists use a technique called removal of warmth, it is punitive. There is a good Facebook group called Stop Dialectical Behavioral Therapy, I would suggest joining it and reading the articles that are published. Watch/ read Dr James Davies work on the foundation of the DSM. Learn about Lucy Johnstone and Mary Boyle's Power Threat Meaning Framework. Read and follow the work of Dr Jessica Taylor. Look up Dr Jay Watts. I'm not invalidating your distress, I am invalidating that diagnosis. CPTSD is less stigmatising. "BPD" has become popularised through social media recently. A GP cannot diagnose what is called mental illness. Please look into the pros and cons of receiving such a diagnosis. Learn about the stigma that the medical field at large have against people who have such a misdiagnosis

• Registered Users Posts: 18 freebirds

There is no scan, mental health diagnoses are subjective and based solely on an interview. You'll need to referred to either CAMHS or Adult Mental Health Services if you seriously wish to pathologise and medicalise your distress. Private therapy is helpful. Getting yourself into the rabbit hole of the public system might be a mistake

Edit, Alzheimers and dementia are contained within the DSM and there are tests for those diagnoses

• Registered Users, Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 4 km098

Thank you for your reply.. my gp sent a referral letter to hospital and they set me an appointment either a psychiatrist

Why would it be a mistake ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭apache

First I ever heard DBT could be harmful. I'm on a waiting list for it. Could you maybe explain a bit more why you think that? I'd be very interested to hear.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement