Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland Team Talk XII: Farrell's First Fifteen

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,840 ✭✭✭ionadnapokot

Yes that makes sense. It would be better if they were starting those games though! They have the greater ceiling/ability to really push for senior squad. O'Toole and Frawley? With respect they aren't and haven't been the guys that are pushing Beahlam or Carbery for the backup slot.

The Frawley at 10 is a particular head scratcher to me. I think he's a really good player but he's simply not going to get enough minutes at 10 with Leinster to make this a worthwhile venture.

When something happens to Sexton its going to fall to the Byrnes at Leinster. And Carbery for Ireland.

If something happens to Carbery at Munster it's going to fall to Crowley at Munster. And thus Crowley for Ireland.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,597 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

Delighted to see Craig Casey get the captains's armband, fwiw. Despite Munster's issue this season, he's probably been our best player, and seems to have a brilliant attitude. He can be a bit spiky so interested to see how he gets on with the ref.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,802 ✭✭✭✭bilston

That's a really exciting A team.

Not sure how I fell about these games though, I've often thought in the past that one off A games can do more damage to players than good though. Play well and it's only an A game, play badly in a team that has just come together and you get written off for life.

That said this Irish management group is doing a lot to expand its playing options and is investing a lot of time in Irish teams below the senior side, so the players are getting good opportunities.

Next question is how do I watch this in Northern Ireland? I assume the IRFU haven't signed a TV deal that has excluded fans in Northern Ireland as that would be beyond outrageous if they have. But as I say I doubt they would ever consider doing that.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,169 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

TJ Perenara and Damian McKenzie at 9&10 for New Zealand A.

Also, that's just a very strong 23. Will be a tough ask for Ireland to win.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭ersatz

On the Ireland A as a positive or negative...taken alongside the EI tour I think it's a very positive departure. Ireland's squad depth has been our Achilles heel more often than not. 2 or 3 injuries and we get into trouble at the best of times, and more than that we just can't stay at our level. So developing opportunities for peripheral and younger players to get exposure to training camps and competitive international matches can help expand the pool of viable players.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

The same can be said for players coming into games against Italy and Argentina, for the senior setup. These games are creating more opportunities for the players to show what they can do within the systems. It’s clear that the IRFU want the senior team to win as many games as possible and play full strength sides doing so. So having A games could be the best chance for players in the wider squads to impress.

Seriously strong side, a lot better than the Maori sides we faced in the summer. Whole backline looks extremely dangerous, but some real talent in the pack too. Looking forward to seeing Roger Tuivasa Sheck and Damian McKenzie in the flesh.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,986 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

Play well and it's only an A game

I think that's definitely an attitude among fans, but Farrell really seems to value them. Between the Maori, Emerging Ireland and now this game, we've probably had more 'A' games in the last six months than we had in the previous five years and they've definitely meant something. Ciaran Frawley is the perfect example, he's skipped a long queue of out-halves based on very little apart from the Maori games and what he's shown the coaches in training camp. Likewise, Easterby was very open that Baloucoune went to South Africa because they wanted to take a closer look at a few things, and now here he is (apparently) about to start against the Boks.

This NZA team is very decent and should definitely provide opportunities for guys to impress, and it looks like Farrell will reward those who do.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭ulsteru20s

Massive game for Frawley. He’s started 4 games at 10 in two seasons including the NZ tour. If he is mostly playing 10 for ireland, then he needs to be really solid in each game.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,941 ✭✭✭TRC10

Apparently, he's worked on his ball-carrying

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,569 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

Our A side looks pretty strong. I am disappointed the Casey won't get a run against SA. NZ look to have a young squad. I know little about them. Delighted for Deegan! I hope he gets in and tears it up. I wasn't aware thar Molony was selected? I think he should be starting.

This team means that Murray and Healy will play Saturday. They are both on fumes, imo. We'll probably lose if Murray starts. But, it's not the end of the world. I reckon Friday's match will be a really good encounter.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,708 ✭✭✭ScissorPaperRock

And captaining? Mad...

Edit: maybe the captain issue was an error - seems not to be mentioned in the article now, though it was earlier

If they are starting Murray, it probably indicates that they don't want to kick long. Pack seems light to me.

Pack seems light to me.

Not sure what we can do about that. It's not like we have a stock of 130 kg behemoths just hanging around Carton House

Right now, probably nothing much. Before the world cup, there are probably things you could explore.

We have been handicapped imo by a big drop off in quality from our top 3 locks to our 4th lock…. so we cant really play our best 4,5,6 in Ryan, Henderson, Beirne on the field at the same time.

We need to develop 1/2 tighthead lock options that will free up Beirne to play 6. McCarthy and/or Edogbo, or even possibly someone like Kleyn returning. Develop Baird aggressively at 6 as well. He has the athletic profile and size there.

Play Coombes in the back row or in 23. Get Marty Moore back in (that’s happening).

There are things that can be done. It would necessitate experimenting some.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,450 ✭✭✭Wegians89

Wouldn’t be surprised if Thornbury shoots up to fourth choice lock now he’s in camp. A really good player at at 6’8 one of the tallest locks in the country.

Before his last big injury he was probably the most in form lock at the time. That season he was a real jackaling threat. He’s also a brilliant line out option both offensively and defensively.

I really like thornbury. It definitely wouldn’t be crazy if that happened.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,931 ✭✭✭jacothelad

All the games are being shown on Amazon Prime. You can also get it free for a month and then cancel it. I use it anyway but it's basically a free month.

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭roverjoyce

A year out from a world cup and the team is picked for it

How is that a good thing, what does it say to the rest of the squad

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭irelandrover

That isn't even a little bit true. The props and sexton and keenan are about the only set positions on the team.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,294 ✭✭✭Cork2021

I can see why Murray would start, has a more physical presence then JGP and has minutes in his legs, you put on JGP with 25 mins to go speed up our game.

im absolutely buzzing for this on Saturday! Hopefully the atmosphere is good! 5.30 kick off should help!

It says to the rest of the squad, when you get a chance, you'd better take it.

Our starting wingers against the World Champions will be two blokes who, 12 months ago, had one cap vs USA between them. Our hooker was uncapped a year ago and a month from now, could have wins over all four SANZAR countries under his belt. The coach is falling over himself to give gametime to the wider squad by arranging all these A games.

Pay attention.

If his 100th cap is any part of the decision around giving him the start here (as GT is suggesting in that article) then that is completely ridiculous.

Would much rather see Casey start this than Murray.

Farrell deserves more benefit of the doubt than that.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,631 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

The obsession over our park size is just dull at this point. Listening to OTB last night and the journalist saying how the majority of the Irish pack had been 'destroyed' by Saracens, La Rochelle and France over the last few years. I guess we all have very different opinions on 'destroyed' in mostly one score games..

The situation with Ross Molony in the A side potentially points to Tadgh Beirne not being good to go for Saturday.

They announced the call ups of both Tom Stewart and Nathan Doak, but selected neither, while they didn't announce Molony, but selected him on the bench.

It looks like they had probably intended to have Ryan Baird in that shirt, but he now looks like a spare for the Seniors on Saturday if the team is selected as expected.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,931 ✭✭✭jacothelad

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,105 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

I don't really know how his season has gone so far tbh, but Treadwell did really, really well on the NZ tour in the chances he was given. I'd say he has a fair bit of credit in the bank.

Advertisement