Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

2022 Irish EV Sales

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,346 ✭✭✭markpb

Unlike VW who, as a company, falsified emissions tests for years to make sure they could sell their polluting cars and kill people?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,378 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Using whataboutery to stick up for a billionaire is a bit pathetic really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,667 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Twitter has always been a vile cesspool, giving a voice and soapbox to those who shouldn’t have one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,944 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

Oh here comes that old argument, VW also fired all the people involved and has replaced all of the management staff

Half the crap Musk has done would get any other CEO fired in a heartbeat, he's only around because he's converted most of his shareholders into worshippers

I would like to say that I am all for Twitter being destroyed, along with the rest of social media

More likely Musk will turn Twitter into more of a cesspit of extremist views and bots peddling scams

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,871 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Go away to current affairs and sound off there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭MightyMunster

Supports Putin? Is he not providing internet for all of Ukraine including their army for free.... And this has what exactly to do with this thread? I'd prefer a car company to destroy Twitter than trying to burn fossil fuels for as long as possible and destroying the climate which supports our survival

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,240 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

I've spent a combined 150k+ on Teslas so far - the 3 is my third tesla. I had an S and an X before it.

If supporting Putin by giving Ukraine free starlink is support I'd hate to see what non-support is. I don't think he's particularly pro-trump either, not that it's an issue because 1) I am a Trump fan anyway and 2) Im buying a car not donating to the GOP

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 8,061 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

Mod Note: Bring it back to Irish EV sales, not the place for a debate on Musk's politics

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 937 ✭✭✭mun1

I’m buying a model Y .

My previous cars were Audi A4, A4, A6, A5, Q5, Q4. I loved the interiors .(and buttons)

the model Y is a step ahead of everyone else’s on the tech. Audis tech is appalling in the Q4, but as a car its a very good drive

The minimalist interior of the MY is growing on me.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators Posts: 12,386 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

122 Toyota bz4 sold in their first month of sale. Pretty pathetic numbers, but rightly so given the car on offer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 645 ✭✭✭Killer K

Surely this is down to the very poor level of supply rather than a lack of demand? The recall issue being the main reason but not only reason for poor supply.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭cannco253

“Despite a 12% decline in new car registrations, electric vehicles have seen strong demand. For the first time in 2022, the eco-friendly alternative was the top-selling engine of the month, outperforming both petrol and diesel cars. 

So far this year, 15,591 new electric cars have been registered, an increase of 83% since 2021. In November, 343 new electric vehicles were registered compared to 190 in the same period last year.”

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭PaulRyan97

Taking a trawl through the car stats, looking for registration mistakes as I know cars are often getting registered with an incorrect fuel type. You can spot these errors by matching them with the stated CO2 band which is usually much more accurate given that they use it for VRT. Based on this here's a quick chart of what I think the 2022 fuel type market share actually is:

Some of the notable changes (there were tons of single digit adjustments):

• Every single RAV4 PHEV was registered as a hybrid. Not only is it nearly two thirds of all RAV4 sales, it's the most popular PHEV in the country and the second most popular plug-in. I had assumed the sheer amount of them I was seeing in South Dublin was just a local anomaly but it looks like it's very popular indeed.
    • About 363 Ford Kuga PHEVs were registered as regular hybrid Kuga.
    • Every single MHEV Ford (Fiesta, Puma, Focus) was registered as a HEV.
    • All 1223 Renault Arkana's were registered as petrols. In reality 742 were HEVs and the remainder were MHEVs.

MHEV related mistakes are hard to catch, often times they exist in the same tax band as a non-hybridized version of the same engine. Whether I should even be counting them as separate from regular Petrol and Diesel vehicles is debatable too. There are a huge number of Diesel MHEV sold but I don't have the patience to go through them.

Pure electric vehicles remain unchanged, I didn't spot any mistakes there on my run-through. PHEV market share increased by nearly 50%, bringing total plug-in share to just shy of 25%.

Excellent work @PaulRyan97. The diesel PHEV figue looks larger than I would expect. Surely there weren't that many Merc phev diesels sold?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,749 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Well at least one of them. To my brother in law. Who had ordered an Audi Q4 electric but it was cancelled on him. So then he thought another diesel was a great idea 🙄

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭joe1303l

I don’t really get the point of PHEV’s considering the range and DC charging speeds on modern big battery EV’s but if I had to have one a diesel one would be far more attractive. If BMW sold a diesel version of a 330e or 530e, they’d have been a great seller here. My biggest issue with a PHEV would be the complexity in the long term once you’re out of warranty. Some much to go wrong if you had say a 10 year old PHEV with big miles.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭Buddy Bubs

With diesel dearer than petrol now I can't see a case for a 330 or 530de at all. If you're running on electric quite a bit as you should be if you buy a PHEV, the cost difference should be miniscule when it switches over to diesel instead of petrol. These are 55 to 65k cars, the cost of its secondary fuel is moot.

If you're running it outside electric a lot to make any noticeable difference, buy the diesel only car in the first place.

Fuel prices are all over the place in recent years and Petrol v Diesel prices are a variable that a consumer cannot control. The difference in fuel efficiency of a diesel engine compared to a petrol engine is substantial and would be very relevant over the lifetime cost of a vehicle covering big miles.

If you are “running on electric quite a bit” with a PHEV you won’t be going very far anyway. Your money would better spent on a full EV. The only real use case I currently see for a PHEV is for somebody needing a 7 seater and doing small miles as there is no current EV option available.

I've never even looked at that car. What's so bad about it?

That accounts for one so! Outside of Mercedes I don't think any other brand offers Diesel PHEVs. I suppose it is possible that one in every 200 new cars sold is a Diesel Merc PHEV.

• Advertisement

Some good 2008 style thinking there. Let's not repeat the mistakes of the past.

The argument is getting a little tiresome at this stage but Petrol PHEVs will suit a lot of people who have genuine concerns on the availability of DC chargers, even if they only need to use them a few times a year. The anti PHEV and Hybrid comments on here are bizarre. Even with the grant incentives removed people are still buying them as they suit their needs.

I suspect, similar to BEVs, if supply was better, sales of PHEVs would be higher.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭crisco10

There are a lot of use cases for PHEV, but drives me mad when poor charging network is one.

E.g. friend of mine drives PHEV and the only reason he had to was because he spends a lot of weekends touring in the North west, where charging is currently scant. R

I certainly don't understand the current crop of PHEVs, tiny batteries and rubbish charging. They might have made sense in 2017 but technology has moved on

I can't see why they can't have something like a 24kWh battery and 50kW DC charging nowadays

That would cover about 99% of driving for 95% of the population, and might make a few people who are unsure of going electric think again

No matter what the fuel choice, PHEV’s are a compromise vehicle seen by most as some sort of stop gap for people who are afraid to make the leap to full EV. As for Hybrids, it’s just more self charging nonsense from the likes of Toyota but each to their own.

At 40kms a day you could do 14k kms on full electric in an efficient phev. Not a 530e as they are not the best at being a phev, despite being a lovely car. But 80kms every 2nd day wouldn't work as well for example.

It's more about usage patterns than overall distance. They very much suit some people. I have a full EV but a 40km range in a PHEV would suit me most days.

The only thing that would annoy me would be the daily plugging in instead of every 5 days or so I do it now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,138 ✭✭✭✭KCross

Cost of that battery would be the main sticking point there.

DC charging isn’t required as the whole idea of PHEV is that you charge it at home and use petrol when going beyond its EV range.

The wheels have a habit of inconveniently falling off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,284 ✭✭✭ongarite

Anyone have final year sales stats?

Looks like ID.4 was best selling EV with Ioniq 5 behind it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭Jizique

That issue was fixed, grow up many car makers have recalls for many reasons although Tesla has generally avoided it despite their FSD inconveniently not working as described

• Advertisement

There's recalls because the luggage hooks might fall off, and then there's recalls because the wheels might fall off, there's definitely a difference between the two.

Given Toyota is renowned for its quality, it's not a good start to their first EV

I would say the main issue is with the horrendous winter consumption, way worse than their competitors

Also Tesla FSD is working well, it's just as effective at crashing the car as a human driver 😏

• Moderators Posts: 12,386 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

Yeah. Nothing you can remove from a Phev to offset the additional cost of a bigger battery. Nothing that'll be significant enough.

Far too often Phev will be a marketing stint, and not the right option.

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭Corporatemarky

Yes, up to 27/12, ID4 highest at 2,962, followed by Hyundai Kona at 2,123, Ioniq 5 at 1,164, Tesla Model 3 at 1,042 and Hyundai EV6 rounds out the top 5 at 955…

Interesting reg stats all vehicles available online. Over 220 I4s registered to 27/12..

Yeah but if you look at the price of them they're not exactly cheap, you'd think there's a decent profit margin built in already.

You'd think most manufacturers are basically just producing petrol engines at the cost of materials and labour, the factories should all be paid for several times over by now

Wasn't there a change to the Euro 7 rules recently that said PHEVs need to have 100km of electric range? That'll probably force most manufacturers over to bigger battery PHEVs or just ditch them entirely

FWIW I do agree PHEVs are mostly a waste of time now. They're so expensive that EVs are often cheaper when comparing TCO

I’d say the EV6 would have been much higher if dealers had been able to supply them.

Only 60 Ariyas, majority of which dealer cars, few enough will be here in 23 as no longer being sold. Lot of new Ioniq 5s in Hutton & Meade last Fri awaiting reg next week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭MightyMunster

Big price jump for 2023 now though. It's more expensive now than the Tesla, VW, Skoda, Hyundai equivalents

Yes crazy stuff, KIA have gone and killed the Golden Goose. Even the e-Niro has been jacked up since launch but it doesn’t have as many competitors as the EV6. Obviously not bothered about growing their market share in Ireland anymore.

• Advertisement

Have they? I mean they don't seem to be having any trouble selling them at the higher price

It's annoying but unfortunately that's how markets work

I hope they open up more supply, Ireland has always seemed to be last priority for getting allocation of cars from Kia

Time will tell but I suspect that the likes of some current Model Y buyers would have easily bought an EV6 instead if they were available for 2023 delivery at €53K. Some badge conscious buyers will chose the likes of a VW over a KIA if there’s no significant price walk. Historically people bought Korean cars because they were significantly cheaper than the likes of Toyota and had 7 year warranties.

Thinking like this is way off the mark and fails to take into account what is well publicised as this stage. Kia's supply chain issues mean that it will struggle to grow its market share anywhere. Supply to Ireland has been comparatively good in comparison to the UK, but continues to be severely constrained meaning they have had to prioritise certain models in production (producing more of the high margin stock and reducing choice in certain models) and have increased prices right across the Kia range.

Now, take the EV6 on its own. It has consistently beaten the competition in the vast majority of reviews (with the exception of the Model Y with the new suspension). Logically for Kia, when supply is an issue and they have a superior product, why not increase price when they will sell what they can supply at that increased price. The Model Y with its recent price reduction and the Ioniq 5 in 2023 with slightly stiffer suspension would constrain the EV6s market share growth if it was in a position to grow its market share.

VW have said openly that volume is no longer a priority for it but selling fewer cars at a higher margin is the future for them. This is the approach Kia has taken (either by accident or design or possibly a bit of both).

If you are looking for value in future, you won't be getting it from the Koreans (or Skoda), who are looking to sell more premium products. The Chinese will likely fill this void in the market and are currently producing very affordable EVs in China (Great Wall and BYD being two of the biggest producers) .

Not picking on you, but this idea that Kia would be focused on a very small market like Ireland is also amusing. The price increases are global. For example an EV6 in Denmark in 2023 will cost one over 5k more than it cost in 2022.

This pricing strategy is likely to change somewhat in future when supply issues resolve themselves and even more importantly, if interest rates continue to increase (which will lead to a slow down in demand).

All manufacturers have supply issues albeit some worse than others. A 2023 EV6 is a great choice of EV and a car that really lifts the KIA brand upmarket. Their 2023 Pricing however comes across as undisguised price gouging. Maybe they set their launch prices too low ?? KIA dealers here have refused to take EV6 orders for months. Competitors have generally taken orders without guaranteed build dates and held prices for customers that have had to wait for cars.

I’m not familiar with Europe wide pricing for the EV6 but Denmark might not be comparable as car prices there are generally very high due to punitive taxation rules.

Skoda have been moving steadily upmarket for at least 20 years and the Koreans look to be heading the same way as you suggested. Nobody will want to try and compete with the Chinese at the low margin entry level market. As for pricing, I hope you’re right that reductions are coming but I don’t see it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,749 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

@Killer K is right about the supply issues, Kia / Hyundai have always had severely restricted production of EVs, starting with the very popular Ioniq 28kWh back 6 years ago. Half of the production was kept in South Korea for starters and the rest of the world had to share the other half. In the USA the cars were sold for several thousand dollars over RRP by the dealers - because they could.

EV6 is a fantastic car, but simply too expensive, at these sort of prices they wouldn't sell many of them even if they could produce them (which they can't). A much lower price, smaller battery option would be extremely popular globally. Like the €39k on the road Ioniq 5 that my sister in law bought last year. Hugh value for money there. And still worth every cent she paid for it.

They can't produce enough to be mass market so they're not pricing them mass market. An EV is very much a luxury item at the moment and is priced as such.

I drive a cupra which cost 42k after grants or 50k before grants. Apart from the battery costing a lot of money it's by no means a 50k car with quality of interior etc when compared to what 50k got you a few years ago, nor is an EV6 or an ioniq 5 or an ID car. They've all positioned themselves premium. Bmw merc and audi are now super premium in ev guise. My father's etron doesn't have the same interior quality as the a6 2014 I sold earlier this year but was a 90k car, you have the double whammy of ev and suv premium going on there.

The Chinese will sell in big numbers when they get here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭BoxcarWilliam99

Is there a decent electric van on the market yet. Similar to a Renault Traffic or VW Transporter?

Theres a Peugeot around that size. Realistic range 200kms apparently.

There are Ford transits too, not sure what size it comes in.

We've 30 diesel vans in the work fleet but due to the nature of the work and the weight that goes in them its difficult to see us ever changing them all over to electric. Maybe a few but with a lot of changes to work practices.

Roof racks, heavy product, drivers that don't give a feck, customers all over the country, emergency repair service with 2 hour response times in our KPIs for certain customers....

EV pricing is definitely premium at the moment but I’m not sure all of it can be justified on the additional cost of a battery. It may be more about demand outstripping supply and manufacturers not really making any effort to compete with each other. Batteries & a motor are obviously expensive but compared to an equivalent ICE but EV’s are built without the expense of an engine, gearbox, exhausts, dpf’s, catalytic converters etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,820 ✭✭✭creedp

And yet some people are advocating that policies should be implemented from 2023 forcing people not to buy ICEs. Are we really ready?

No, globally we're not. As usual, however, I can see the greens penalise people who can't afford the switch. It's always the stick with them

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement