Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

sceptical about ad

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,142 ✭✭✭nilhg

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,761 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

The seller "John" currently has three bikes for sale and for his most expensive one (the TCR) he only has one photo.

No description of the groupset with the "new running gear" just "10 cog on back 2 up front".

No further info on the Dura-ace CF wheels.

I wouldn't hand over a cent until I saw the purchase invoices!

• Registered Users Posts: 44 spudpicker2022

the seller of the same bike on facebook marketplace has a different name!

there might be other better options to try than this one @vintcerf

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭vintcerf

thanks guys, yeah had suspected that.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,860 ✭✭✭fat bloke

Cripes ye're all very suspicious. That's a very old bike and groupset now. Why would it be a scam? Price is fair enough if you ask me. Wheels might just be stickered up something-elses is the only thing but sure give the seller a ring and ask! :)

And purchase invoices? Sure Jaysus that bike must be 15 years old, he could be the 10th owner.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Don't understand the mindset of sellers such as this. One pic of bike on the wrong side and against a crappy background with hardly any description of the bike. Is he/she trying their best not to sell it?

If I was selling a bike for €100 I'd still give a very detailed description with lots of pics. It saves having to answer a lot of questions from prospective buyers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,614 ✭✭✭Trekker09

Seller could be selling it for a relative etc and might not know anything about bikes. I'd be suspicious if the seller insisted on meeting up instead of calling to the house. I agree with Fat Bloke on this. Ringing the seller would either confirm of dispel any suspicions

Cripes ye're all very suspicious.

It is donedeal, so probably safe to be suspicions. I'd be suspicious of anyone selling something that has a risk of being a stolen item on any website. I'd rather be over-cautious before buying than being regretful afterwards.

That's a very old bike and groupset now. Why would it be a scam?

The bike has been well looked after based on the one pic provided. However the seller (who appears to be a bit of a bike dealer currently selling three bikes) shows pretty much no knowledge of bikes in his adverts.

Price is fair enough if you ask me.

Again, the seller seems to know enough about bikes to value them but not enough to add a meaningful description about the bike?

Wheels might just be stickered up something-elses is the only thing

But again, why not mention it? Carbon wheels aren't cheap so still something worth adding a few words about apart from "Carbin fibre wheels" [sic]

but sure give the seller a ring and ask! :)

Agreed but I would still approach with a load of caution.

And purchase invoices? Sure Jaysus that bike must be 15 years old, he could be the 10th owner.

True but as the bike has been looked after (based on one photo) they will surely have something, even service details, older photos, etc. If one was desperate enough, they could ask for an example of a spin on Strava with it

• Registered Users Posts: 7,992 ✭✭✭cletus

This post reminded me of a stickied thread on the motoring forum with the do's and don'ts of buying and selling a car.

On the selling list, it suggested never meeting someone at your own house, always pick a neutral spot to meet up.

On the buying side, it suggested never buying from someone who won't meet you at their house.

I've no idea whether the ad is genuine or not, but there's myriad reasons why someone might not want to meet at their house to sell stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 5,860 ✭✭✭fat bloke

In my experience poorly worded, misspelled, half-arsed ads can be the best bargains. I'm riding a mint cervelo s2 all year that was a one-photo "bike for sale" ad on Donedeal!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,557 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

it's quite simple as to why people would be more suspicious about an ad lacking details like that - as WAS and SB mention, since you're more likely to be confident about someone who can provide history, details, and a bit of effort in trying to sell a bike, you're by default going to be less confident in someone who doesn't.

the ad above is like trying to sell a ford focus, with a photo taken from one angle and no mention of engine size or mention if it's petrol or diesel.

anyone car hunting, seeing an ad like that would probably skip past it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,614 ✭✭✭Trekker09

I can see both sides, and again I guess what you're buying or selling would be the main reason. If I'm selling a bike I much prefer to sell from my house as it gives the buyer confidence that it's not stolen etc. If I'm buying a bike or valuable components I prefer to do the same. A lot of this also depends on previous communications with the seller/buyer.

I've previously had to sell musical instruments and DJ equipment when my son moved. My descriptions wouldn't have been great as I have no expertise in this area. All I had was a guide price.

Coincidentally, I think I wrote (or was involved in writing) the first draft of those buying & selling guidelines here back when I was a Motors mod

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭vintcerf

rang the chap - says he got the bikes off a neighbour. the search for a tcr continues ...

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

• Registered Users Posts: 9,446 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Never really squared that one myself. Have brought, and sold, vehicles from neutral venues (at least first meeting).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,686 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

Bike not being sold by a cyclist....and why/how would a non-cyclist have a TCR?

Maybe the neighbours move around a bit.

Advertisement